• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Early NFL MVP candidates

Jonnie Walker

Getting Noticed By Management
Well, it's Week 12 in the NFL season and I think it's time we think about who deserves the MVP award for the season.

Tom Brady- Brady has had a great season so far, and the Patriots are the NFL's number one team along with the Jets. Brady has 2,703 yards, 23 TD's and only 4 picks.
Matt Ryan- Yeah I know, it appears I'm only saying this because I'm a fan of the Falcons, but Ryan has led four or five 4th Quarter comebacks on the year, and has 18 TD's, 2,518 yards, and only 5 picks. The Falcons are also 8-2 on the season, with a big thanks to Ryan.
Michael Vick- As much as I hate to say it, and as much as I think Vick is a terrible person, I have to respect how well he's played this season. The Eagles haven't lost a game that Vick has played all 4 quarters, and he's been almost flawless this year. Vick only has 1,608 yards and 11 Touchdowns, but he also has 375 rushing yards and 5 touchdowns in that category as well, and has only turned the ball over once on the whole season, and it was off of a fumble.
Philip Rivers- Even though the Chargers haven't been great this season, Rivers has been. This is a team with no running game, an average defense, and had sub-par receivers (aside from Gates) for the first ten games of the year. Rivers has still thrown for 3,177 yards and 23 TD's on the season even with only one good receiver for the first nine games of the season.
Arian Foster- Foster is clearly the Texans star player, and has shown it all season, and even though the Texans will most likely miss the postseason, none of the blame goes on Foster. Foster has run for 1,004 yards and 12 touchdowns.

So who are your top 5 candidates for league MVP?

This year, like most years, the quarterbacks are dominating at the top.

1. Tom Brady- He has the second highest qb rating in the NFL and the Pats are tied for the second best record in the NFL. He also has not thrown a pick in his last 6 games.

2. Michael Vick- Vick is the feel good story of the NFL and he is getting the job done with both his arm and his feet. He has the best qb rating in the NFL, has yet to throw an interception, and if he was healthy for the entire season then he'd most likely be the number one guy.

3. Peyton Manning- You can't have an MVP list without Peyton Manning on it. The guy is having another spectacular season and he is doing it with a depleted offense. Right now he is missing 2 of his top 3 running backs, his pro bowl tight end in Dallas Clark, and his number one guy in Reggie Wayne has been banged up and not at 100%. He's making guys like Jacob Tamme and Blair White look good.

4. Phillip Rivers- His teams overall record hurts him but Rivers has the third highest qb rating in the league and like Manning he is doing it with not much around him. The running game has been very up and down this year, Vincent Jackson has missed the whole season thus far, and now even Antonio Gates is banged up. Even with all that going against him Rivers is still putting up huge numbers.

5. Roddy White- A lot of people talk about Matt Ryan but a huge reason for his success is the play of Roddy White. White leads the league in receptions with 79 and he is second in the league in yards with 1,017. He has also added 7 touchdowns. At this pace he is projected to have 126 receptions, for 1627 yards, and 11 touchdowns.

1. Philip Rivers - This is all barring on the Chargers making the playoffs, but if they do, how can you argue Philip Rivers? He's putting up all-pro records with a slack receiving core and little to no running game, may even break some records.

2. Michel Vick - This guy is having a monster year. Throwing the ball and running, the defenses don't know how to defend the guy. Having only 1 turnover at the quarterback position, that being a fumble is extraordinary.

3. Tom Brady - What can you say? It's Tom Brady having a typical Brady year. With no Moss though he's making due with what he has and is having a great season.

4. Peyton Manning - Same as Tom Brady really. He's putting up solid numbers with an average receiving core and a boat load of injuries.

5. Drew Brees - Surprised he wasn't mentioned yet. He's currently leading the league in passing yards, tied for touchdowns and has his team in a position to win the division, or at least a wild card.

5. Drew Brees - Surprised he wasn't mentioned yet. He's currently leading the league in passing yards, tied for touchdowns and has his team in a position to win the division, or at least a wild card.

Part of the reason Brees is currently leading the league in passing yards and touchdowns is because he has played one more game then all the other top qb's, save Tom Brady. Phillip Rivers will pass him in yards and tds after Sunday and Peyton Manning and Kyle Orton will have a good chance of passing him in yards. Brees has also thrown 15 interceptions which is a lot more then the other top qb's. He is still having a great year but I wouldn't put him in the MVP top 5 right now.

Here are my top 5 MVP picks so far.

1. Peyton Manning - Peyton Manning is (as always) running the Colts offense. He's been pretty much the Offensive Coordinator on that team for a long time now, and every year he puts up ridiculous numbers. This year, the only difference is the ridiculous numbers are being put up by throwing to a core of skill players that (outside of Reggie Wayne) are barely good enough to fill the roster of a UFL team. If the Colts make the playoffs (which is still likely), this should go down as Peyton's best year, and he should get his 5th MVP.

2. Philip Rivers - Rivers is also putting up great numbers, and is in a similar boat as Manning, in that he has had some injuries to his skill players (and people refusing to sign tenders in Vincent Jackson). Manning gets the leg up on him because Manning Manning basically calls the offensive plays, and because Manning is in a tougher division.

3. Michael Vick - He won't get it, and shouldn't, because he won't play all 16 games (he's missed 2.5 or 3.5 games already), however, in the games that he plays, he has proven once again that he is the most explosive player at the position. He finally has weapons to throw to, and as such is having his best passing season in the NFL, which is amazing considering he took 2 years off from football.

4. Tom Brady - Since New England reverted back to their 2004 offense after trading their best skill player (Moss), Brady has been lights out throwing the ball to nobodies and no-names. Deion Branch is looking like the Deion Branch of 2004 (at least in 2 games), and Belichick did a great job scouring the Waiver Wire for talented kids that didn't have a roster spot on their old teams (Danny Woodhead), but Brady has really done a great job making something out of relatively nothing.

5. Matt Ryan - Matt Ryan might very well be the best home player in the entire league. He doesn't lose in the Georgia Dome (he's 18-1 or something like that), and he puts up great numbers. His Falcons have the best record in the NFC, and he's the main reason for it. If the Falcons finish with the 1-seed (very likely if they can beat Green Bay tomorrow), Ryan might be getting Offensive Player of the Year, and he will likely be playing in the Super Bowl.

I know it's 5, but honorable mention for a #6:
6. Mark Sanchez - The leader of the Cardiac Kids is the main reason the pass-happy Jets have the best record in the NFL. He has already thrown more passes then in 2009, and he has surpassed his yards, completions, and touchdowns; as well as upping his QB rating by over 20 points, cut his picks in half, and he has proven that this season, there is no one else you want with the ball in the entire league when you're trailing in the 4th quarter. Since the award is for most VALUABLE, not BEST player, he needs to be mentioned in here. Without great QB play, the team is 5-6 AT BEST.

Part of the reason Brees is currently leading the league in passing yards and touchdowns is because he has played one more game then all the other top qb's, save Tom Brady. Phillip Rivers will pass him in yards and tds after Sunday and Peyton Manning and Kyle Orton will have a good chance of passing him in yards. Brees has also thrown 15 interceptions which is a lot more then the other top qb's. He is still having a great year but I wouldn't put him in the MVP top 5 right now.

He still has a solid TD/INT ratio and has his team at 8-3.

He still has a solid TD/INT ratio and has his team at 8-3.

I didn't say he wasn't having a good year, he just isn't currently a top 5 MVP guy. He'd make a top 10 list but he hasn't been one of the top 5 best/most valuable players this year.

I think it has to be Brady right now. On paper the Pats are nothing more than an average team, but he's lead them to 8-2 and is clearly the heartand soul of the team. Having a great year.

If Vick is able to stay healthy for the rest of the year he'll be up there as well, but like others have said, he's missed too much time so far. If Rivers and the Chargers have another great second half he'll be a candidate, but a 5-5 team in the West has no business having an MVP candidate right now.

Here are my top 5 MVP picks so far.

1. Peyton Manning - Peyton Manning is (as always) running the Colts offense. He's been pretty much the Offensive Coordinator on that team for a long time now, and every year he puts up ridiculous numbers. This year, the only difference is the ridiculous numbers are being put up by throwing to a core of skill players that (outside of Reggie Wayne) are barely good enough to fill the roster of a UFL team. If the Colts make the playoffs (which is still likely), this should go down as Peyton's best year, and he should get his 5th MVP.

2. Philip Rivers - Rivers is also putting up great numbers, and is in a similar boat as Manning, in that he has had some injuries to his skill players (and people refusing to sign tenders in Vincent Jackson). Manning gets the leg up on him because Manning Manning basically calls the offensive plays, and because Manning is in a tougher division.

3. Michael Vick - He won't get it, and shouldn't, because he won't play all 16 games (he's missed 2.5 or 3.5 games already), however, in the games that he plays, he has proven once again that he is the most explosive player at the position. He finally has weapons to throw to, and as such is having his best passing season in the NFL, which is amazing considering he took 2 years off from football.

4. Tom Brady - Since New England reverted back to their 2004 offense after trading their best skill player (Moss), Brady has been lights out throwing the ball to nobodies and no-names. Deion Branch is looking like the Deion Branch of 2004 (at least in 2 games), and Belichick did a great job scouring the Waiver Wire for talented kids that didn't have a roster spot on their old teams (Danny Woodhead), but Brady has really done a great job making something out of relatively nothing.

5. Matt Ryan - Matt Ryan might very well be the best home player in the entire league. He doesn't lose in the Georgia Dome (he's 18-1 or something like that), and he puts up great numbers. His Falcons have the best record in the NFC, and he's the main reason for it. If the Falcons finish with the 1-seed (very likely if they can beat Green Bay tomorrow), Ryan might be getting Offensive Player of the Year, and he will likely be playing in the Super Bowl.

I know it's 5, but honorable mention for a #6:
6. Mark Sanchez - The leader of the Cardiac Kids is the main reason the pass-happy Jets have the best record in the NFL. He has already thrown more passes then in 2009, and he has surpassed his yards, completions, and touchdowns; as well as upping his QB rating by over 20 points, cut his picks in half, and he has proven that this season, there is no one else you want with the ball in the entire league when you're trailing in the 4th quarter. Since the award is for most VALUABLE, not BEST player, he needs to be mentioned in here. Without great QB play, the team is 5-6 AT BEST.
I was going to mention Manning and Sanchez, but I didn't for a reason.
Manning is having a great year, putting up numbers with virtually nobody to throw to, but I feel the other five guys (bar Foster) I mentioned are having better seasons, and are on better teams (bar Rivers). Manning is arguably the best player in the NFL today, but he is making key mistakes at bad moments (last second pick to Samuel vs. Philly, last second pick to the guy on New England(I can't remember his name)) and it's costing his team.
Sanchez is also having a solid year, but he hasn't played better than any of the other guys on my list, and while he's been clutch in the last three games, alot of that has to do with Santonio Holmes, and while it's arguable the same could be said for Matt Ryan and Roddy White, Ryan has been throwing to other options and making it work, and Sanchez is good, but I'm not sure he's the entire reason for the Jets success.

Pretty much only open for two guys right now and those two guys are Tom Brady and Philip Rivers. Brady has been nothing but great this year for the Pats, who are arguably the best team in the league. Brady just plays the game and no matter who is out there he makes them look ten times better. On the other hand is Philip Rivers, who has been spectacular with his key guys injured or suspended (Vincent Jackson). With the team getting healthy and VJax returning Rivers should stay right on pace where he is now and if the Bolts get into the playoffs Rivers should very well win MVP. I can't really see any way Rivers or Brady don't get the award unless someone like Vick or Manning (Peyton) step it up big time and take over. Maybe even some like Matt Ryan, however that seems like a long shot.

its a three man race to me and if the voting ended today idk how anyone wouldnt vote for:

1. Michael Vick - He's missed two games yes but this guy is the hottest football player in the league and when Vick has played a full game the Eagles have not lost...he pretty much made the Eagles a Super Bowl Contender...no ints....I mean the Eagles are 7-3 cause mostly Vick heroics.

2. Tom Brady - he is winning on an average team with what seems like new players every week...no im in now way saying Wes Welker and Deion Branch are no bodys...but anytime you lose a playmaker you expect fall off and he sure hasnt. And again with not the best recieving corp and a revovling door due to cuts or injuries...he has done something Phillip hasnt won

3. Clay Mathews - I hate Green Bay with a passion but he is leading the league in sacks and has been a huge difference maker for Green Bay on Defense and has a shot to break the single season record (a chance!)

4. Phillip Rivers - would be closer if the Chargers had a winning record...i mean thats the major thing holding him down. People say well he is doing what Manning did last year, and i say yes except Payton won alot more games with nobodys than Rivers which is holding him back...but he still has fantastic stats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back