• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Dragonball Z--Original is Better

SuperKick36

Pre-Show Stalwart
Yeah, yeah yeah... I know. This is a cartoon. It's not Dexter or Game of Thrones or Sparticus; But it was one of my FAVORITES as a kid.

So I sat down and watched the Dragonball Z Kai show the other morning... and was appalled.

The took out a whole bunch of important violence!! They did not show Krillin exploding, which was a horrifying event for me as a kid, and is what really got Goku to go Super Saiyan.

My point---some shows should just stay original and not be fixed/adjusted. I know why they re-did much of the show, to make it more "HD Friendly" and add/take out some other aspects, and perhaps make it more "Kid Friendly"... but seriously? Kids are watching worse things than DBZ these days, so why take out a little blood and explosions?

Maybe it's because I don't have kids...

So, what are your thoughts? What about memories from watching this as a kid?

That's just because you watched the dub'd version that was aired on nicktoons. The whole point of Kai was to get rid of all the filler (which reduced the series by 96 episodes up to the cell games). Essentially it existed to portray the original manga being animated without filler which is quite a big deal to anime fans. Also it was to make the series 16:9 updating it from 4:3.

There was nothing wrong with it other then it getting dub'd.

I remember wacthing DBZ and would be bored out of my mind when Goku and Freeza would power up for 6 episodes straight without actually doing anything. The narrator would say the planet is going to blow up in 2 minutes, and yet 6 episodes later and these two still haven't even made a move yet!!! It was quite frustrating and although I haven't seen Kai yet, I'm assuming this is the sort of stuff it was trying to remove...

It was even worse when it was on VHS. That felt like a rip-off considering how it took quite a few episodes for guys in the battle to do anything. That and the fact that battles had a lot of back and forth action, before a lengthy pause for some talking and then repeat. Horrible. However, since I grew up reading the Manga more or less, I naturally watched the Anime and did enjoy quite a bit of it. To this day I still enjoy it and I have the first two seasons on DVD. I need to get the third season for the Frieza saga, and that to me alone felt so complete as both an arc and an Anime series. Cell saga and Buu saga were both respectively awesome too, but Frieza was always the ultimate sadistic bad-ass to me. I haven't watched Kai yet, and I'm not sure if I will since I already know the story. I heard that they improved on the animation on Kai, but I'm not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back