Dooming the New Day?

LionheartY2J

Occasional Pre-Show
We've seen this many times before, most notably in the Attitude Era. Edge & Chistian. DX/The New Age Outlaws. The Dudley Boyz. It would have probably happened to The Shield had they not turned Rollins. A heel faction becomes popular with the fans, to the point that they're cheered over their face opponents. So the powers that be not so slowly and certainty not subtly steer them in the direction of face-hood. Next thing you know, they become a full blown comedy act and the fans quickly tire of the act.

This is exactly what's happening with the New Day here. And teaming them with John Cena really isn't helping matters. The fans used to cheer them on, but last night during their watered down pre-Match schtick, you could almost hear a pin drop. They weren't getting booed, but the fans didn't seem to care either way. And it's really too bad, as they were the most entertaining faction WWE's had in quite some time.

I can strongly wager that this won't happen to the New Day. You see, New Day is quite much entertaining than any of the superstars in the WWE roster at present. How many times we have seen a Tag Team open and close the show in the past? The New Day does that quite often because they're entertaining. Just not getting a reaction from a specific crowd for a specific show doesn't mean that they are not entertaining and the WWE creative will drop balls on them.

The good thing is that, New Day always have something new to bring to the table. They know how to attract the fans and make then stick together. These are threw guys who're just expressing themselves, the real-selves to the crowd. It'll be much hard to drop balls on them.

I disagree. New Day is one of the best things going for WWE at the moment. And if you had to pick a faction that looked like it was destined to fail from the start, they would be at the top of the list. I didn't see Raw last night, but some of their material does seem to go over the fans' heads, like their Game of Thrones quotes for example.

I don't think theit act has even started to get stale. They're one of the few that seem to have permission to go slightly out of that PG parameter, and thank God because you can only take so many watered down promos where you know the guy speaking it is not using his own words. New Day are clearly getting some creative freedom and it sets them apart in a very cookie cutter day and age of pro wrestling.

We'll, for starters that crowd last night was horrible. Aside from Cena, no one got any real reaction(even over talents like Enzo&Cass,New Day, Owens, got lukewarm responses from that crowd)
Then you have to take into consideration of what was going on at the moment. Everything was serious and intense and then out comes New Day(a team who has become known to be far from serious) to save JOHN CENA(a guy known to take out multiple men alone). If they hadn't already announced the main event, it would've almost felt random.

New Day are still great, but they have their work cut out for them and can't continue to be complacent(they need to move on from the "Booty O's). They are now competing with Enzo&Cass as the #1 babyface team (and they have even more competition in the waits in American Alpha).

I wouldn't say New Day are being doomed because of teaming with Cena, in fact being optimistic here, I would say this could be the best thing for them. Last night showed that if New Day is going to be added to the Cena vs Club feud, they need to be booked more seriously. That's something critics and fans of New Day's all agree on.

Last night was just a lousy crowd. You're going to get crowds every so often that prefer to sit on their hands for whatever reason and that's pretty much what it was last night.

I still enjoy New Day quite a bit, as do most fans, but there are some fans who tire of just about every group or team after a while when they've been on top for so long. For instance, less than 6 months after they hit the main roster, there were actually threads & posts on this forum from people saying that it was time to break the Shield up or that they were "stale." It's just part of that mentality among a number of modern fans in which they're never satisfied and constantly want to see something "new."

With that being said, I do see things being shaken up a bit in the next few months as I just have a feeling that New Day's 2nd run as tag champs will be ending before long, quite possibly at SummerSlam.

Do you remember Doom from back in the day? I imagine that if New Day was facing a lack of crowd participation that forced them to switch gears, they might wear masks and be all "DOOM-SDAY ROCKS!"

I think they're still wildly entertaining, which is as much a compliment to them as it is a criticism of the rest of the roster.

And I'm not debating their entertainment value of their act. All I'm trying to say is that it translates well as heels. But the fact that they're pushing them now as full on faces, especially teamed with the despised (though I don't mind him) John Cena, it may not end up well.

New Day Shirt sales overtook Cena around the time they decided to turn them.

I hope the writers and Vince keep this clue and don't split them up or change them too much more. Honestly, whether they're face or heel, they still do the same stuff, besides Xavier doing his backhanded "You guys are booing yourselves, you know that right?" comments, they have begun pandering a bit more to the fans, but they still feel overall natural.

I'm worried the pandering will start changing to Cena levels, and we'll stop having new day, and we'll start getting Cena's buddies, reading scripted promos about succeeding and never giving up and blah.

Everytime I feel like they're getting stale, they tend to change up enough of their act to get me interested again. I'm just glad they've completely changed from the original new day concept that made me hate them.

And ya, Oklahoma is marktown, they're the kind of crowd that would cheer Roman and Boo Seth, because WWE told them to. The only free thinking chant I heard of the night was a Fight Owens Fight.

Tag teams are doomed from the start. Its been that way since the early to mid '90s. WWE arent the only ones guilty of it either everybody is. They just can't control themselves from playing the "struggles within the team" and let's split them up since they're so popular maybe we can double our merchandise profits if they are no longer a team cards.

I do think this will happen soon, the New Day is an act that is insanely hard to explain why it works. And I think the reason it does work is just the fact that the rest of the roster isn't too entertaining right now on the mic.

Now that Enzo and Cass have been pushed so hard and actually really well, odds are they'll be the team taking the tag belts off of New Day. I could see this happening at Summerslam possibly. You'll have a rematch at Night Of Champions and this is where the full fledged break up will happen. My big problem is how the brand split plays into this though, tag champs could be rotating between both shows but that would take away some appeal of the Night Of Champions rematch if Enzo and Cass are on the other show.

Regardless, the WWE has a major hurdle ahead of them. The New Day could run for a while longer and just pray and hope that they stay over to this level, or they might just run out of steam and then they'll need to break up. With them partnering with Cena(a man they beat down what, half a year ago?) you have them buried into the second most important feud of the next few months. This will either really help revitalize them, or push them into the pit of doom...we'll just have to wait and see

We've seen this many times before, most notably in the Attitude Era. Edge & Chistian. DX/The New Age Outlaws. The Dudley Boyz. It would have probably happened to The Shield had they not turned Rollins. A heel faction becomes popular with the fans, to the point that they're cheered over their face opponents. So the powers that be not so slowly and certainty not subtly steer them in the direction of face-hood. Next thing you know, they become a full blown comedy act and the fans quickly tire of the act.

This is exactly what's happening with the New Day here. And teaming them with John Cena really isn't helping matters. The fans used to cheer them on, but last night during their watered down pre-Match schtick, you could almost hear a pin drop. They weren't getting booed, but the fans didn't seem to care either way. And it's really too bad, as they were the most entertaining faction WWE's had in quite some time.

They're fine to me. They're tweeners to me. My biggest worry with them is the lack of quality opponents they have left. They've beaten PTP, The Dudleyz, The Usos, The Vaudevillains, Social Outcasts and Lucha Dragons. Once they beat Enzo and Cass and The Club, there's nobody legit left for them to face. I'd hate to see them lose the titles to Fandango/Breeze or R Truth/Goldust.

Last nights crowd was dead. But even if they weren't, and New Day were actually starting to drop off, it still wouldn't fit your formula.

E&C, NAO and DX (both runs) were all massively over for their entire tenures as tag teams. The Dudleys still are. New Day being put into a main-event feud only solidifies their position as a major faction in WWE. They'll be cheered throughout the arena next week, providing the crowd isn't as dead as they were last night.

Also, did you really imply that The Shield would've been turned into a comedy act if Seth Rollins hadn't turned heel? Because I'm not sure where to start with that.

Well let me be the first to say thanks a lot A HOLES, I was enjoying my New day and now you ruined it by making them kid friendly and clown shoes. Stupid fans.

I say what needs to happen is when they lose the tag titles they need a heel turn AGAIN! Make them become a more serious dominant team. Switch their gear completely around. No more comedy,no more fun New Day. They need to become serious dominant New Day. Have them dominate and slowly descend as a team. Maybe Woods and Big E turn on Jodi eventually leading to a Kofi vs. Big E /w/ Woods feud. This could be what finally gets singles Kofi over. Maybe E beats Kofi in the first and second match and in the third one Big E loses after a slip up by Woods which causes him to turn on Woods splitting up The New Day.Kofi moves up the card. Maybe Big E can get managed by Heyman after that and make him the dominant monster heel he should be.

They're still over, dunno what you're talking about in the OP. If they were ever going to become strictly a comedy act, it would have happened when they started doing all the silly crap. The fact that it hasn't happened yet means they've cleared the grace period and cemented themselves as an attraction in the WWE.

Don't worry... it's all going to be OK.

I would argue that New Day has been a comedy act for a while.

This is exactly what's happening with the New Day here.

I don't know if that is true. New Day is still getting good reactions for the most part. They still do entertaining stuff but probably less often.

There is also no way we can safely assume that they could have kept up their heel momentum and still be entertaining if they remained heels.

And teaming them with John Cena really isn't helping matters. The fans used to cheer them on, but last night during their watered down pre-Match schtick, you could almost hear a pin drop.

I wouldn't blame that on Cena. Their schtick just didn't work that well last night and that wasn't exactly a hot crowd.

They weren't getting booed, but the fans didn't seem to care either way. And it's really too bad, as they were the most entertaining faction WWE's had in quite some time.

Last night was not their best work outside the ring. It did kind of suck that the Cena run in and save was pretty well obvious by the end of the pre match melee. But.....

WOW! Kofi was awesome in the ring. Big E was pretty good too. It was the first time I remember seeing those guys fight angry. Anger was totally the appropriate action for that match. Kofi flew around with a combination anger and athleticism that felt really real. He was terrific. I hated to see them lose and I felt that they went down a little too easy but the wiritng was on the wall by the time Woods got f'd up.

I expect New Day will win at MitB and hold the titles until at least SS. They won't knock it out of the park every week but they still will give the occassional promo that entertains. And usually entertains with a combination of their base material and something a little bit new and creative.

The wheels are not as tight as they have been but they haven't fallen off yet. I also think they can survive being Cena's little buddies as long as it doesn't last too long.

PS - Kofi for World Champ

New Day gets some of the loudest cheers every single Raw and Smackdown. Most of the time, they have one of the best segments. They have always been and probably will always be a comedy act, and there's nothing wrong with that. I honestly have no idea what you're talkin about.

Seriously??

I was the biggest DX fan and advocate for their HoF push, but I can never ever remember a time was stale and irrelevant. Whether it be the complete take over of Raw, to any break up to any dark match I don't think they ever got a quiet reaction.

On another point, the crowd was complketly dead. They were quiet for everyone except cana/styles.

And most will probably disagree with me but I think New Day has ran their course and kinda hurt the tag titles. How often have they actually defended the titles? I know they didn't defend them Wrestlemania and the following ppv. They are a tremendous comedy act but been TERRIBLE AWFUL NON-DEFENDING champions. They have been champions for 290+ days. Now the division is booming with talent that can defend them. And Even more in NXT ready to move up.

And most will probably disagree with me but I think New Day has ran their course and kinda hurt the tag titles. How often have they actually defended the titles? I know they didn't defend them Wrestlemania and the following ppv. They are a tremendous comedy act but been TERRIBLE AWFUL NON-DEFENDING champions. They have been champions for 290+ days. Now the division is booming with talent that can defend them. And Even more in NXT ready to move up.

I think this is the problem though, they have nobody left to feud with really. The Club has to be with AJ right now. Enzo and Cass were probably booked to win at Payback but then the injury. The Vaudevillians aren't over enough, and really can't do better with the belts.

It should also be mentioned that on Raw they mentioned the longest tag title reign. So realistically the New Day aren't losing the belts till they break the record, and they're only 41 days away. Which will be the day of the Brand Extension if my math is correct?

And in terms of what they have done in the past, they were defending the belts a lot before. Most year plus reigns have a month or two where they don't defend the belt, Punk's, Trish's, Bella's, etc.

The New Day will run its course sooner or later. That's what happens when you put three guys together who really have no business being together in a tag team. The WWE put these guys together simply to go give them something to do more than anything. The fact that Xavier Woods, Big E and Kofi Kingston have managed to get it over for so long is an absolute miracle. And is a true testament to how well all three of these guys have done. And since they have become some of the most successful tag champions in the history of the WWE in the mean time, they deserve to be cut some slack.

Teaming anyone with Cena right now is a death stroke, given his devisive nature amongst the fans. But what I think we are all forgetting is that The New Day are not being marketed towards people our age. The great deception with the New Day is that they are very in the mould of Cena. Sure, they have a little bit more of an edge than Cena does. But they are faces that are marketed towards kids. Again, the fact that we seem to like them so much speaks volumes for the personalities in the group that have been allowed to shine through. But at the end of the day, the group is marketed towards kids and Teaming them with Cena is going to stimulate that more than anything. The down side to that, of course, is that the vocal majority of a WWE audience aren't going to like that.

But the New Day will be absolutely fine going forward. They are a lot of fun and the WWE know it. If teaming them with Cena failed to do what they want it to then they'll change it... Hopefully.

I would have said New Day was doomed from the beginning with the gimmick they were handed. That being said though they tweaked it and made it gold. At first hey were perceived as being a NOD 2.0, something I wasn't looking forward too. But they took the ball and ran with it, and turned out to be one of the hottest teams we've seen in a long time.

The three of them work very well together, and I call them the Silly Shield. You have Big E as the Reigns equivalent, Woods is Rollins and Kofi with his unicorn horn and clapping and skipping is the Dean Ambrose of the bunch. They also have one of the best moves in the WWE right now in the Unicorn Stampede, and of course Francesca 2.0 is always along for the ride.

Unfortunately the crowd the other night was one of the worst I've seen in a long time. I mean why do you pay money to go and sit on your hands all night. Bernkastel even asked on the LD thread if the sound was screwed up, I thought it was as well, turned out the crowd was the drizzling shits for most of the night. No one would have got a good reaction out of them.

There is nothing wrong with New Day. They are where they should be and get good reactions pretty much everywhere else they go. The WWE should never go back to Oklahoma and a number of other places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back