Doesn't Booker T Deserve The "Shawn Michaels" Type Deal?

This statement above is a horrible argument. You make reference to Booker's unprofessional actions when he left the WWE in the same sentence as HBK. Laughable. Shawn was wrestlings most idiotic unprofessional pillhead for years, that is a fact. Shawn's record is far more sketchy than Bookers. Also, to my knowledge, the only time HBK was the face of the WWE and the "main guy" was 1996...and it WAS the WWF's worst year for ratings and profitbility..EVER. And to the person that said NO ONE deserves the "Shawn Michaels treatment"....i'd like to hear you tell that to Taker, Hart, Austin, etc etc etc......Dont get me wrong, Michaels is a great talent, but I think sometimes people get carried away.

And you are correct I feel, in that some people do get carried away. However are you saying that Booker T's accomplishments in the wrestling business are on the same page as Shawn Michaels' accomplishments in the business?

I think the contributions and loyalty that one has in the business, their attitude, their overall work ethic, their loyalty to the company, etc. should ALL play a huge part in making that determination. I feel that makes it fair because you are examining ALL those aspects and not just one or two.

Shawn Michaels has stuck by Vince through thick and thin. He may have caused problems when he was doing drugs, however he never left McMahon when so many others did, while Vince was hurting. Shawn showed loyalty, and I think Vince returned his appreciation for that loyalty. The Undertaker gets the same treatment, even to a greater degree, since he actually disappears for months and months at a time, where as Michaels works a reduced ongoing schedule, for the most part.

But again, are you suggesting that Booker T is on the same level as Michaels with Vince in terms of all of those other factors?

No, quite simply, Booker doesn't deserve the Michaels deal.

So what if he's a former world champion and been in the busniess for a long time? It really takes more to warrant the good deal that Michaels has. When was the last time Booker T put on a performance like Michaels did at Wrestlemania 25? Never in his whole career has he put on a 5 star match. Sure, he's had some good matches, but not enough. Michaels has been putting on great matches consistantly for his entire career, Booker T is totally hit and miss. Booker T was never really a draw and if he came back he probably still wouldn't be a draw. Not to the level of Michaels or Undertaker, anyway. So he really doesn't deserve a less-workload-high-pay contract.

There have been plenty of wrestlers who have put on great or greater matches than HBK and they don't get the kind of deal he has. The WWE doesn't need him as much because if they did, they would be asking him to do a lot more even going to Smackdown if they asked him to which I don't think he would even if it conflicts with church.

If he does get a lighter schedule and gets paid less than I can totally go along with that but I'm not going to put HBK on a higher pedestal than he deserves to be. Booker T still has talent and will put the young guys in WWE over just like he did in TNA.

Booker T will never get the respect or the Shawn Michaels treatment. Reason 1 being that he didn't originate in WWE. Vince never founded him, and he has left the WWE to go to TNA.

Second reason is just the plain politics of WWE. Vince, and HHH run the show, and Booker is just another mid-card to them. WWE politics will be the downfall of WWE eventually.

I think Booker T will be the one that surfaces at the Genesis payper view. it makes sense. he didn't like where his character was headed back in october, and now that Bischoff and Hogan are running the show he will come back. Bischoff made Booker t a 5 time champion in wcw, and he was apart of the NwO with the rest of the band.

Booker T will never get the respect or the Shawn Michaels treatment. Reason 1 being that he didn't originate in WWE. Vince never founded him, and he has left the WWE to go to TNA.

HHH didn't originate in WWE. Neither did Hogan, Undertaker, Big Show, CM Punk, or Jericho. That is a dumb, ignorant argument.

Second reason is just the plain politics of WWE. Vince, and HHH run the show, and Booker is just another mid-card to them. WWE politics will be the downfall of WWE eventually.

Or maybe it is because Booker was a jerk about leaving. Booker was always upper midcard to lower main event. Guys like Booker are easily replaceable, as you can see by how he was replaced in both WWE and TNA after he left. Backstage politics exist, but they aren't as bad as the IWC would want you to think.

I think Booker T will be the one that surfaces at the Genesis payper view. it makes sense. he didn't like where his character was headed back in october, and now that Bischoff and Hogan are running the show he will come back. Bischoff made Booker t a 5 time champion in wcw, and he was apart of the NwO with the rest of the band.

He was never in NWO, that was his brother. He was WCW champ after the company's heyday when it was falling apart literally and figuratively. TNA shouldn't take him back because he didn't even try at the end of his run there. You couldn't understand a word he said, his in-ring work suffered, and he clearly just didn't give a fuck anymore. That's why he isn't coming back, not the bullshit you spouted off as reasons.

Well, it seems like WWE didn't want to give Booker an HBK type schedule, and because of it, he won't be returning to WWE. My question is, do you think Booker deserves an HBK type schedule? Has he earned it? Apparently someone with in WWE doesn't feel he's earned it or is not worthy of such a schedule.

First off, Booker may not have had a career as great as HBK's, but he is a legend in this business. Sure he may not be what he used to be in the ring, but so are a lot of veterans.

My second part to this thread is, do you think Booker could've made an impact in WWE? I think he could've gone back to Smackdown, and help put some of the younger guys over. Just as long as he DIDN'T feud with Batista again, I think he would've done fine. What are your thoughts?

I will have to disagree with you that Booker T has not had a great a career as HBK. What has HBK ever really done in WWE. (Except stay loyal to Vince) He was gone for 5 years during the most important, and fun part of the attitude era while booker wrestled year after year. HBK doesn't have even half of the gold that Booker T has achieved in his career. Booker T has been around as long as HBK, and has never taking several years off to find Jesus, or anything else for that matter. Booker deserves alot more credit than you give him.

I will have to disagree with you that Booker T has not had a great a career as HBK. What has HBK ever really done in WWE. (Except stay loyal to Vince) He was gone for 5 years during the most important, and fun part of the attitude era while booker wrestled year after year. HBK doesn't have even half of the gold that Booker T has achieved in his career. Booker T has been around as long as HBK, and has never taking several years off to find Jesus, or anything else for that matter. Booker deserves alot more credit than you give him.

Shawn took time off because he broke his fucking back. The man nearly had his career taken from him due to the injury, that's why he found religion and changed his attitude. Booker deserves credit, but he hasn't had the career HBK has had.

He didn't get the deal because the WWE don't need him and therefore he was in no position to be bargaining with them. I imagine the WWE thought about it and said "Do we need another old guy clogging up the roster when we're trying to create new, young stars?"

Shawn took time off because he broke his fucking back. The man nearly had his career taken from him due to the injury, that's why he found religion and changed his attitude. Booker deserves credit, but he hasn't had the career HBK has had.

Just because WWE stated he almost or did break his back is not relevant. How many times have them come up with story lines to give wrestlers time off. You can never ever tell where story lines begin and the truth is. I can say if Shawn Michael actually broke his back he would not be able to do what he is doing now. I myself received a back injury in 2000 and mine was minor, but Icouldn't do a 1/4 of what he does. How many times have we seen WWE wrestlers out with broken arms, hands, and horrible burned (caught on fire) (JR). Their story lines to cover for wrestlers making movies, break downs, and family issues, and as Shawn Michaels has stated in the past( fighting his own demons) if that was even true.

This thread is supposed to be "should Booker be allowed a lighter schedule" basically. Not about his accomplishments versus HBK's. Career wise and overall impact on the business, there is no denying that HBK has the upper hand. HOWEVER! Does that mean that Booker didn't pay his dues? Booker busted his ASS for WCW and then the WWE for years. Booker was over as a heel and as a face from day 1 and always got a reaction...ALWAYS. He had great feuds with Austin, The Rock, HHH, Batista, Mysterio, mini feuds with Cena, and many others. He can work in ANY slot on the card which can't be said for many people outside of Jericho, Edge, Mysterio, and CM Punk in the WWE.

Booker paid his dues and anyone from his era who put in as much work as him or more deserves to work a somewhat lighter schedule. He should not work the same schedule as a Kofi Kingston or as a John Morrison. He should work a reduced schedule to maximize his abilities and his health. The WWE can prorate his pay based off of that. It's obvious that the WWE wanted him, but a deal just couldn't be worked out.

I'm sure that it was done professionally and not between two ranting parties bitching and moaning. I would've loved to see Booker T. Hopefully something can be worked out somewhere and he'll be back on TV again. I think the guy is funny as hell, and always entertains.

I will have to disagree with you that Booker T has not had a great a career as HBK. What has HBK ever really done in WWE. (Except stay loyal to Vince)

Are you serious with this statement? Well besides staying loyal to Vince, this man has put on many classic matches in WWE, and is one of their top legends ever. After taking a long hiatus from WWE, him and Triple H tore the house down at Summerslam '02, and he showed no ring rust.

He was gone for 5 years during the most important, and fun part of the attitude era while booker wrestled year after year

As someone else already mentioned, this was because HBK BROKE HIS BACK.

HBK doesn't have even half of the gold that Booker T has achieved in his career.

And this should diminish his legacy why? Plenty of wrestlers don't have as much gold as Triple H,Angle,or Hogan, but they are still considered great.

Booker T has been around as long as HBK, and has never taking several years off to find Jesus, or anything else for that matter. Booker deserves alot more credit than you give him.

Shawn had to do this because his life was in a downward spiral. The man needed to find himself, and I don't see anything wrong with that. As far as me giving Booker credit goes, you did see the part where I called him a "legend" and I will stand by that. Look, I'm a huge Booker fan, but even I will face the facts that he isn't as big as HBK was and to a certain degree still is. A lot of you have made some very good points, and I can't disagree with them.

I'm easily with everyone else here. I see no problem with them giving Booker a deal with a lighter schedule, however, his pay would be peanuts compared to what HBK and Taker get paid for the same thing. I think Booker has to realize that his place in wrestling history isn't what he thinks it is. He had a shit load of title reigns, however, most of that is tag titles and US titles, and lets not get started on his 5 WHC reigns. I've never considered the guy main event talent. He is perfect for the upper mid-card. Putting over younger guys would be a great position for him in WWE. Again, however, while he could work a light schedule he doesn't deserve the pay of a full schedule like Taker and Shawn do.

There is no wrestler who has given WWE their body and life in the course of their career the way Shawn has. He is the longest tenured active wrestler they have and he is still relevant. Taker is the same. The two of them bleed WWE through and through and Vince shows them alot of respect and loyalty when issuing them their contracts. He understands that they were the back bone of his product for a long time. They are certainly the only two who deserve to sit with the current contracts they have. Booker, if he actually asked for this type of a deal, is out of his mind. Can you dig it?

I argue no, at 45, and in regards to the problems, with drugs, his own wrestling promotion, and possible politicking concerns, there is little point in keeping him. If TNA will employ him, that is his best bet, as WWE would probably only be interested in on/off matches (ie. Royal Rumble)

i think "deserves" is a bad word here..."merits" may be the right one...at 45 he physically CAN'T work a strict schedule. nor should that be expected. but to have booker think he is on the same level as HBK is complete bullshit. booker has always been a selfish person. but i think he could come in, on a lighter schedule, and really put over some younger talent. he is, after all, a multiple time champion, and a realtively "big" name. its the dollars that might have stalled it, more than the schedule too, im guessing.

"But again, are you suggesting that Booker T is on the same level as Michaels with Vince in terms of all of those other factors?"

Absolutly not. I was simply responding to a statement that Booker T doesn't deserve the HBK treatment because of his actions and unprofessionalism. I don't believe Booker deserves the same treatment as Michaels but for other reasons. Many of which you have just pointed out. That being said, I do feel Booker deserves a lighter schedule if he requested it upon his return. Maybe just not on the same level as HBK. Booker has worked very long and hard in this busniess and is a decorated Tag Team and Singles competitor. To me, wrestlers should be rewarded for there contributions to the sport. It's like wayne gretzky to Mark Messier, Gretzky is widely consider the better and more important player, but everyone still shows appreciation and respect to Messier for all his accomplishments.

Just because WWE stated he almost or did break his back is not relevant. How many times have them come up with story lines to give wrestlers time off. You can never ever tell where story lines begin and the truth is. I can say if Shawn Michael actually broke his back he would not be able to do what he is doing now. I myself received a back injury in 2000 and mine was minor, but Icouldn't do a 1/4 of what he does. How many times have we seen WWE wrestlers out with broken arms, hands, and horrible burned (caught on fire) (JR). Their story lines to cover for wrestlers making movies, break downs, and family issues, and as Shawn Michaels has stated in the past( fighting his own demons) if that was even true.

Are you fucking serious? This is probably the most ignorant thing I've ever read. Are you implying that Shawn retiring from the ring due to a herniated disc, surgery to repair it, and a massive drug problem was a work? You give WWE creative way too much credit. They can barely keep a storyline strtaight for 3 weeks let alone four years.

You are serious though aren't you? That's what makes this even better. I don't even know where to begin with your statement as the entire thing is completely crazy. The fact that you can't tell where storylines end and real life begins surely questions your mental state. Santa isn't real by the way.

Shawn Michaels injured his back. Fact. The fact that he did break his back his totally relevant. The reason why people are speaking of his dedication to Vince and WWE is because he literally broke his back for him and the fans.

I also love that you compare yourself to Shawn and his back injury. Am I to assume that you are someone who keeps himself in the same shape as Shawn does? Are you keeping an eye on your diet and hitting the gym everyday, doing cardio, and keeping up on doctors visits? Did you visit one of the premiere doctors in the world when it comes to unjuries to athletes? A man who has had the guts to push athletes into a direction of rehabilitation to return to their line of work when no other doctor would dare?

Shawn has done so much for the WWE and for the fans. He is just put simply kind of a bigger deal than Booker.

While he might not deserve to get paid like Shawn, why can't he have a lighter schedule?

Pros

1)He's cheap to keep around.
2)Quality worker
3)Will put asses in seats
4)Stays healthy and happy,prolongs his career

Cons

yeah.. let me know if you find any.

Im conflicted on this 1. I like Booker but he's 10 years past his prime, but he has paid his dues. His attitude issue when he was last in WWE after getting the King Booker gimmick really doesn't help his case though. I would love to see a Booker T DVD released by WWE. With his age I dont see how WWE could expect him to work a full schedule but that does go with the job I suppose. But Booker Huffman is no Michael Hickenbottom.

The only reason he doesn't deserve it is because I think only HBK and UT are on that schedule. I mean, I think all of their schedules should be cut in half at least, but if we're going by that kind've criteria, really there isn't a single other star except for maybe Triple H that deserves that kind've schedule when considering status, longevity and position within the company.

Booker T was never a big star in the WWE, I'm surprised he'd think he'd get that type of deal.

Just read a post..... Lol some guy actually thinks that 96 rumble casket match back injury was a work. And that all hbk's problems were facade. Wow.

And to answer the thread ? .. Absolutley not. Shawn michaels and the wwe are 2 of a kind. Hbk has and always will b one of the main draws for wwe... Booker t to me is now just 2nd rate talent after being down with tna. He has no steady work ethic and is an ignorant prick.I don't think booker would have stayed around thru half the shit hbk did. All in all.... Bow down and all praise the showstoppa!

No, he's not a big name star like HBK or Taker. He's not as good as them either. In fact he's a whiny little bitch, who cries when he doesn't get his way. He left WWE to go to TNA, now why should he get a schedule like that, better off why should he even ask for it? Booker T. Is not good, and I'm glad he's not in talks anymore. WWE are better off without him.

Whats up, with everyone bashing booker t? Whats up with everyone saying he hasn't paid his dues etc. Hell booker t debuted in wrestling either a year before undertaker or a year after. He was held down in the tag team division with stevie ray for years. The guy had star written all over him. How hasn't booker busted his ass in this business if he has the same amount of years as taker and hbk. Booker is also the same age as them. And is in great shape unlike frail hbk and getting frail undertaker. Booker carried wcw when they were on the burner, when they were leading in ratings for those 80 plus weeks, at some point during that streak booker was the five time wcw champion. I guess that wasn't drawing power. Michaels was a big draw back when diesel, razor ramon and sid were around. So don't give me the drawing crap. Booker has more title reigns than anyone in history. If that doesn't warrant some sort of leeway i don't know what will. Hell i don't know to many vets that job to younger up and comers. Michaels has 2-3 good matches a year, thats it. He can barely walk. And i guess because he can barely walk that means he busted his ass more than booker? B.S. Booker more than paid his dues. Accomplishments speak for themselves.

"thriller cabana" Big show, cm punk, or jericho doesn't get the hbk treatment either, so whats your point, and with that said, how can you call the other guys statement "ignorant" For arguing that booker t wasn't created or originated by vince? Booker as a matter of fact is way above cm punk, big slow, and jerichoke, and i don't recall them getting hbk treatment or having a better career. Bottom line, look at bookers career. longevity, no major injuries, stays in great shape, sells moves, most decorated champion ever. Facts speak for themselves.

Look I dont see why he shouldnt get it. Everybodys hating on Booker but people forget he is the most decorated champion ever. He's won every major title except for WWE belt. If he wasnt doing something right he wouldnt be getting all these titles. He doesnt have to make the same cash as Shawn but why not a light schedule. I mean the guy has college aged kids, he's not a spring chicken.

Just read a post..... Lol some guy actually thinks that 96 rumble casket match back injury was a work. And that all hbk's problems were facade. Wow.

As ******ed as that is, i found it funnier that you're criticising when you didn't even type the correct year!

Moving on, Booker may be a 20 year veteran, but is he a 20 year WWE veteran? Why no, no he isn't, and that's why he won't get a light scheduled deal with the 'E'.

Vince McMahon is only loyal to the talent who have proven for more than a decade that they are totally loyal to him. If HHH turned around and asked not to do House Shows, he'd get it. HHH has been with the 'E' for 15 odd years now, and Vince'd happily reduce his work schedule. If Kane or Edge asked for the same thing, they'd again, probably get lighter schedules (not as light as HBK or Taker's, but still). On top of all that, guys like Big Show and Jericho have been allowed to just drop everything wrestling related and then come back full time, without Vince having a second thought about it.

Basically, if you were there during the MNW's and you're still there now, you'll get preferential treatment. If Sting turned up, looking to do a deal with the 'E' but didn't want to do house shows, Vince'd laugh him out of Stamford in seconds, Icon or no Icon, friend of Flair's or no friend of Flair's.

So that's why Vince wouldn't do it. Another thing to address, why do some of you think the 'E' would want him back? Why would they need him back?

As i recall, contrary to what most believe, Booker didn't leave because of the King Booker gimmick (i distinctly remember a report saying that he and Sharmell loved the gimmick and even spoke like that when they were at home), he left because he didn't want to job to HHH when HHH came back from injury at Summerslam in '08, he wanted to wrestle Lawler. So they made him job to HHH, and after one more Raw appearance, he left.

Now does Vince McMahon really need another old, semi-popular wrestler taking up space in his promotion, during a time when he's just starting to build his mid-card up again with new talent? No, he doesn't. He also doesn't need an old, semi-popular veteran fucking Vince around because of booking decisions, and dragging his insanely annoying wife around with him all the time, AND working a reduced schedule, while still making full time money, either does he?

Booker could put loads of people over? Big whoop, they've got tons of guys on SD for that already. Kane, Jericho, Khali and Mysterio are all guys who could lay down for an up-and-comer. A mid-card guy can then beat guys like Taker or Edge for further rubs, so do they really need Booker T as well? Not imo.

Would he draw? Probably not by anything worth mentioning, plus Vince wouldn't use him prominently anyway. Of all the ship jumpers who've come back, Christian and Jeff are the only guys to be used properly since coming back from TNA, and in Jeff's case, it took 3 years and even then, only happened because he was so insanely over, that Vince couldn't ignore it. Does Booker honestly think he'd come back from TNA and be thrown in the mix with Cena or Orton straight away? Or does he think a guy they don't intend to use on TV much is going to get a lighter schedule than everyone else? You're schedule'd only get lighter as they thought more and more about releasing you, and that's about it.

Vince doesn't need Booker T, and would only give him a deal out of pity or perhaps respect, but only Vince gets to choose the specifics of such a deal, and i think it was arrogant and foolish of Booker to have suggested a lighter schedule in the first place.

"the mark" Booker is alot better than big slow, jerichoke, mysterio, esp kane, and certainly khali, if anything vince needs to get rid of some of them so he can offer booker more money. Booker has more longevity than 75 percent of the roster. Is better than 60 percent of the roster. And in case you haven't noticed, this current wwe roster sucks badly, i cant even remember half of the names on smackdown and i watch the show. So don't think for a second that booker wouldnt get more ratings for smackdown. The current crop of of wwe wrestlers are the ones, that are "semi" popular. Booker is really popular, and if used correctly like he was with the king booker gimmick he could be special. That gimmick was very entertaining in my opinion. He paid his dues, his longevity, and being the most decorated champion ever should warrant a favorable schedule. He didnt win all those belts by accident. My loyal subjects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back