Does NXT need another hour and/or midcard title?

TheMainEvent

Pre-Show Stalwart
I've been a huge fan of NXT since it's inception and it's probably my favorite part of WWE's programming but lately it's felt like NXT has been a bit sporadic and lacking in terms of weekly quality and continuity. They have an amazing roster but some weeks guys aren't featured, top guys like Black and McIntyre don't have feuds, and weekly throwaway matches have become the norm. So my question is should they expand the show to another half hour or hour to adequately feature all of their top atars each week. Additionally would a mid-card title add more purpose for the feuds that aren't for the world title?

I like that there is only one title because it makes it prestigious and everyone gunning for that top spot... but something like a TV title could be beneficial for guys like EY, Black, Almas, Itami, Ohno, etc

No. This has been suggested multiple times and the answer has not changed. NXT is just fine the way it is. It is refreshing to have a brand that does not overexpose its talent. Sure some wrestlers will not make it onto the show, but it makes it more interesting that it is a bit of a revolving door at times. Not everyone has to have championship opportunities. They do not need any more titles. They have a main title for the men, a title for the women, and a set of tag team titles. The UK Championship is technically part of NXT for the time being as well, until that show launches. I do not want to see an additional hour or any new titles added unless they add the UK Championship's show as a UK version of NXT and use that for the second hour. The action from Full Sail is 100% fine just the way it is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, as they say.

As Dagger pointed out, one of NXT's charms is that the stars aren't as overexposed the way they are on the main roster. For instance, a full set of tapings, maybe 3 to 4 weeks worth of shows, may go by without us seeing Bobby Roode, Asuka or the Authors of Pain and that's fine as it is given that NXT is part of the WWE Network rather than a standard television show.

Does NXT NEED another hour? I don't think so but I am curious to see how Triple H and the NXT creative team is able to handle another hour. That's something a lot of fans have been curious about as it'd give us even more of an idea how the main roster product MIGHT or COULD be with Triple H ultimately being the final decision maker. Would they use the extra hour to feature more stars each week? Would they keep roughly the same number of stars each week by having more big matches that last longer? Of course, finding the answer to that question runs the risk of ending a charming component of the NXT product. If they ever decide to add another hour to the show, an example of a formula that could be used often could be having a 10 minute promo segment per hour, though not at the same time each week of course, with maybe a couple of 3 minute squash matches each hour, a few brief backstage promos that last a couple of minutes, maybe around a 30 minute match as the main event for each hour and still only feature the champions on the show every so often rather than each week. Various details would have to be worked out, such as deciding who on the roster are strong enough to deliver longer matches. I don't see NXT going to 2 hours anytime soon because what they're doing right now has been working for several years now.

As for an additional title, as Dagger also pointed out, the UK Championship is technically part of NXT at this time but it's anybody's guess how long that will be the case. If they added another title to the NXT roster, I think I'd prefer it if they moved the Cruiserweight Division from Raw and made it part of NXT. A lot of CW wrestlers work NXT house shows in the first place and the division itself would benefit, I have no doubt, from being under Triple H's control rather than Vince's.

No. That'd take even more away from a show that has almost lost all of it's original appeal. It is absolutely still fine and has still worked more than people will probably give it credit for. NXT works not only as a functional brand in this heavily house show based context, but exceptionally well as a WWE TV developmental wing. If you look at almost all prior NXT women, tag teams, and men who were champions they were meant for the upper mid card or higher. NXT REALLY is well put together in regards to talent, and that is what they exist for. The TV format is great, and should most definitely stay the same.

NXT is fine the way it is now, another hour wouldn't help it along. Let's face it they don't have the roster size that RAW and SD have, so it would be a waste of time. The last thing they need is a bunch of promo's and talk which is dragging RAW down. Leave NXT alone for now.

It's probably been said already, but no.

Does NXT need another hour? No. Does NXT need another belt? No.

However, if given either, or both, I think they would do well with the opportunity, but right now, it's not something they need. I like the idea of tuning in to NXT and seeing different workers, an extra hour would just be a way to shoehorn in all the same faces

Big NO! for both.

One hour is enough for NXT and one title is also enough. There's no midcard or upper midcard for a title. Everyone should aim for NXT Championship and that's it. No TV title or anything. Don't fix what isn't broken. It's working in the best way possible. So NO!

NXT is fine the way it is. Nothing needs to be changed or added! When Raw was 2 hours I remember people saying it should be 3. Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it and you did. Back to NXT, if it's not broken don't fix it!

Instead of offering more ground to develop stories or talent, all you're doing is importing the biggest problem from the main roster product. Very few NXT alumni benefit from being exposed week after week. That's not a knock on any particular or general talent, just that I believe less is more with wrestling.

So no, it doesn't need an extra hour. BUT, if they wanted to do a half-hour show akin to Talking Smack after NXT, I'd be encouraging of that.

the cool thing about it is that being a network show means it doesnt necessarily need a traditional allotted time.

No, just the cruiserweight title and the entire division.

You can feature a massively action packed and always weighty hour - 80 minute show if that change is made.

NXT does need a mid card title. The NXT United States Championship would a good way to do that. There's a lot of talent in NXT that do not get a lot of TV time, especially given the fact that NXT only airs for 52 hours a year, plus 5 lots of 2 hour specials, so a total of 62 hours a year. There's a lot of talent that aren't in the running for the NXT Championship, but an NXT US title would give them something to fight for.

As for two hour editions of NXT, they do have the roster depth to sustain it, but I think it would be better to have more 2 hour NXT TakeOvers rather than 2 hour NXTs for the moment. I have no idea how that would happen currently, but that's what I would like to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back