Do you respect Triple H in depth?

CM Steel

A REAL American
On monday on RAW Triple H came out and gave us a not-so award winning speech in the middle of the WWE ring about his future as a active wrestler. And he stated in that speech that he wanted to be the one who retires from the business and not for the business to retire him. And didn't want to be an old wasted up wrestler who was pasted his prime bubbling around the ring (Hulk Hogan). That I can respect.

But my question is, do you respect Triple H in depth? Meaning not only Triple H the wrestler. But Triple H the man, the businessman, and as a in-ring veteran. Triple H as Paul Levesque married Stephanie McMahon. But ti'l this very day some wrestling fans see it as Triple H using Stephanie as a meal ticket to be where he wants to be in the WWE. But others beg the differ.

Now with Shane McMahon on to other projects outside of the WWE. Triple H (with Stephanie of course) is in the driver's seat to be the one's handed WWE chairman's Vince McMahon's seat whenever Vinnie mac calls it a career as chairman of the E. So in a strange twist, Triple H basiclly got lucky! Call it whatever you will.

You have the real Triple H fans, and you have the anti-Triple H fans. The real true Triple H fans see Triple H as the Jay-Z of the WWE. The anti-Triple H fans see Trips as the Levi Johnston of the WWE by living off his in-laws name just from saying "I do" to Stephanie, and there are also blood ties between the McMahon-Levesque family now with Triple H & Stephanie's three kids.

So with the position that Triple H is in with the WWE all in all. Do you respect him after all that he's been through on his way to the top of the WWE ladder?

I believe that we got to see a little of the real man behind Hunter. He showed real emotion that can't be faked. He cares deeply for the business that has given him everything he has. What we saw on RAW was Paul Levesque. You have to remember that this is his life. While people might want to shit on his so called "acted out speech" the fact was that it gave us insight to the REAL man.

For the question at hand. I do respect Triple H as a wrestler, businessman and as a person. He has literally given everything of himself to us fans for 17+ years. Some of the biggest moments that I have witnessed in Wrestling starred Triple H. As for him as a man, it took balls to reveal himself like that to the smarks and cynical fans that seem to litter the fanbase.

I have complete respect for Paul, I mean he has given us all he had for so long, huge fan of his work. Some try to say that he got to where he is because of Stephanie, and maybe that holds true as far as backstage politics is concerned, but he is good in-ring and he is a big man, pretty good promos (not the best but good) so that helped. However he cares about the industry and I like how he doesn't shove himself down our throats, he is a attraction, not a special attraction like the undertaker but an attraction none the less. He is a business man and one day he will control arguably one of the biggest business' to ever exist and I have mad respect for him because I am a huge wwe fan.

Yes, I do have a lot of respect for Triple H. I don't particularly like him because I always thought he was better off feuding with HBK rather than teaming like the early 2000s, but I do have respect for him. He has achieved so much in this business and yea some of that was due to him being with Stephanie but I believe he was going to get a big push before that anyway. He's not HBK or Hogan but he was pretty great. I agree with everything you said about him.

I do have respect for him, but he almost destroyed Raw with his lopsided booking.

People look back on Evolution's highlights with fondness, but they filter out that Evolution used to be on-screen on Raw non-stop and dragged the ratings below Smackdown. Couple that with the aborted pushes of Kane, Goldberg, Booker and Steiner in that era, all to keep Triple H top of the pile, and you see that he was the problem with Raw for a long time. Hell Bischoff just handing him the world title is still worse than Arquette winning the WCW belt.

Around this time I genuinely hated him and thought of him as a cancer on the wrestling business. Once he got over himself and allowed Cena to be the man he got more interesting as a character and a person.

The body of work the man has put in over these many years is the telling factor. I can't imagine anyone in his position working as long and hard as Paul Levesque has. He's even resisted the owner's prerogative of casting himself as an unbeatable star in the ring, a la Hulk Hogan. When the best interests of the company called for him to lose to Undertaker and Brock Lesnar, he did it.

This image also encompasses his so-called "phony" marriage to Stephanie. Well, time conquers everything and the fact is that after 9 years and 3 daughters, if Triple H's marriage is a sham concocted strictly to advance his career, he's making a great show of it, isn't he?......probably, he's fooled Stephanie and her father as well as he's fooled us.:shrug: Face it, the marriage is on the level

The man is for real. Many of us think he doesn't wrestle enough? Hell, he doesn't have to wrestle at all. It's to his company's advantage that he do so (and therefore, to his own advantage as a stockholder).....so, he does. But I believe him when he says he's doing it for us, too.

I remember speaking to people in Nashua, New Hampshire who still call him Paul, recalling his local fame as a high school football player. They said he still lived nearby (Hollis N.H.) until marrying Stephanie and remained a genuinely nice guy, still working out at local gyms and frequenting restaurants in town. (I still think it's a great irony that he now lives in Greenwich CT, the town he was billed from when he first joined WWE, long before his relationship with Stephanie).

That he married the boss's daughter and was found to have an excellent mind for the business is a happy circumstance for him and his family. People wondered what would happen when Vince McMahon retired?

Here's their answer. I respect him totally.

I see no reason not to respect the man personally. Has he played the game of politics backstage at some point in his career? Of course he has. Hell, name me one legendary talent who hasn't. It's part of it. It's no doubt rubbed some other wrestlers the wrong way but, again, Triple H isn't the first to have done that and he sure as shit will not be the last. You can bank on that.

I think the ones who try to claim that Triple H wouldn't be where he is without Stephanie are just looking for a reason to hate the guy. Neoptism won't get you to the heights that Triple H has reached in pro wrestling over the course of the past 15 years or so. Nepotism might get your foot in the door, but it won't make you a superstar. If you want proof of that, just look at Garret Bischoff & Brooke Hogan over in TNA.

Triple H is a highly talented wrestler that's brought all the tools to the forefront that a major star needs. He's good in the ring, he's good on the mic, he's cultivated continuous fan interest in whatever he's been involved in, he's wrestled against top stars, he's helped draw big money, he's headlined major shows, etc. Without the talent to go with it, Triple H simply wouldn't be where he is. He's been where he's at for much too long for it to simply be a case of nepotism. Besides that, Vince McMahon is a businessman first and foremost. If Triple H didn't have the goods, Vince wouldn't have put him in the spot he's had for so long.

I get that some people aren't fans of Triple H, nothing wrong with that. As I've said many times, no wrestler is universally loved. But not liking the man doesn't negate the fact that he's worked his ass off to get where he's gotten. Triple H said something in a promo a while back in which he said that in wrestling you can make friends or you can make money, but he was lucky to have been able to do both.

I respect the guy, how can i not, the guy has done a lot for the business, and to be honest, when he had the WWE title, that was the last time the title had prestige, he brought asses to the seats, a lot of people say stupid things about him just because they hate him, but the fact is that the man is part of tons of historic moments in the WWE, people say that he is where he is because he married Stephanie, he was well on his way to the top before he even started dating her, a lot of people say that he was on top because of his ego and that he's selfish, guess what, he has put over a lot of talent, he was willing to loose a lot of matches at Wrestlemania to a lot of rising superstars, yeah, big ego, he even made it special for Chris Benoit to capture his first ever top championship in the WWE, when he got injured during that famous tag team match against Jericho and Benoit, he cared for the fans and finished the match despite being seriously injured, he started factions and made superstars out of them, just ask Orton and Batista, and as the COO he does his best to give fans what they want, and every time some of the top superstars, like Austin, Rock, The Undertaker were out or injured, Triple H was the first one to step out to the plate, so if people hate Triple H, they got to find other excuses to hate him, but to me the guy is the ultimate team player, and deserves tons of respect.......

I most definitely respect Triple H, there really isn't any reason not to.

It's easy to say he got to where he is today because he's married to the bosses daughter but the truth is if Triple H didn't have the talent he wouldn't have been in the main event scene for almost 10 years, he was there before he started dating Stephanie after all. You can talk about how Triple H politic'd his way to the top but all I gotta say to that is you gotta play the game inside and outside the ring to get to and stay on top so he should never be criticized for that. Wrestlers complain sure but Triple H didn't do anything others did before him and if the situation was reversed then I'm sure the wrestlers who complain about him would have done the same thing.

The reason's I respect Triple H are the following:
1) You never hear him getting his nose dirty outside of the WWE. I don't recall him ever getting arrested or caught doing excessive drug use like a lot of wrestlers have.

2) He does what he thinks is best for business contrary to what others think.

3) The few times he got punished (Curtain Call for example) he handled it like a man and didn't make a big stink about it. He did his time and moved on.

4) He's awesome when he's on camera.

5) Although I don't know the guy or have ever met him Triple H seems like a good guy with a good head on his shoulders.

So yeah I most certainly respect the guy and he earned everything he got.

No i do not respect him he buries everbody and once again he tried to make the show about him on monday with his bad acting pretending to cry yet again it was nearly as cheesy as john cena, so no I do not respect him and i cant stand him

Oh, absolutely. Even with some faults, I just don't see why you can't respect him (outside of the Katie Vick thing, of course).

Always have been a fan of his when he first came into WWE. As time went on and "dirt sheets" were easily accessible, you do read about all the politics and his marriage to Stephanie and what not. Something that isn't talked about much (which someone already brought up) is the "Curtain Call". He was the one punished, took it and didn't complain about it. That's something that I respect. Someone who is being accountable for their actions and taking the consequences, even if the others didn't or couldn't be punished. One thing that he's taken a lot of flak for is coming up with the plan to screw, Bret. As much as I love Bret, this is a business. Took balls to even come up with a plan like that and know that you're going to get heat from the boys and Hart. You can view it any way you can really, but he put business first, which WWE is, a business. He understood that. Another reason I respect him is simply for returning after those injuries that kept him out for long and not missing a beat. The man is just driven, determined, and hungry. Wrestlers suffering the same injuries multiple times and retiring would be understandable and I'd respect that, but he continued.

I know there was a lot of heat for him using politics during the time he was on top. The way I look at it as is after The Rock and Steve Austin were gone, they needed someone to carry the company. He was one of those guys. Him and Undertaker have always been the, I guess I would say, backbone to the main event guys and WWE (at that time). Those two were always there when WWE needed them to carry the load. Politics, yes. Could have built on more talent, sure. But he was the go-to-guy for the company.

Plus, I just respect his love for the business. As I mentioned above, he puts business first. I remember reading on one of Lance Storm's Q&A's on his site and brought up how Triple H would be good running the company because he has that old school mentality, yet still understands today (shouldn't quote me on that, but it was something like that). The talent signings under his group, the way NXT is being ran, lots of positives. I can't knock the man really. He earned his spot in the WWE with all the work he put in.

Whether you like, dislike, love, or hate him, I think many people do respect him.

Wow at the people who think he buried people and made every show about him.. If you're talking about 2002-2005, there is no argument, he was the biggest heel and biggest draw WWE had at that time, there was no one who could match him..

Now, about respect for Triple H as a wrestler, yes, he is probably my favourite wrestler and have supported him through his heel days, he isn't the best in-ring worker, but he knows how to put on a really good match, he is one of the best gimmick match wrestlers in WWE in the past and present..

As a businessman, who one day may take over WWE, of course I respect him, he has done a lot for the business and he also cares about the business as well.. Since he told us on-screen he was the COO, he made a lot of fans happy making changes, fair enough he's still wrestling on/off, who knows if he wants to steap spotlights, I think he just misses being in the ring..

Anyone who doesn't respect Triple H is just an idiot IMO..

I do have respect for him. A lot of what I have read is that he really wants to build things for the future. As one person stated before, he was well on his way to the top before he started dating Stephanie. He even said it himself a number of years ago, he had already won his first WWF (that's what it was called back then) Championship before he ever met her.

Sure, he did go through the selfish phase when he was younger. Name any human being that in there professional lives didn't try to do what they thought they had to do to try and get a step ahead.

As with most people, he learned from it. Now he is trying to do what he can to make the company popular again. He is trying to do things to get people to want to watch. Why do you think he is taking steps to make tag team wrestling relevant again? He knows it is an important tool needed to build younger talent. He is trying to break what has been the current trend where almost every guy that is breaking into the main roster is almost the same.

He has worked his tail off to get to where he currently is. Sure, playing the behind the scenes politics were involved. But he also listened to those who came before him and learned. How can you not respect someone that has worked that hard to accomplish something?

HHH accomplished a lot in his career, but his critics will always claim that he got where he is today by befriending Shawn Michaels (a notoriously self-centered power broker in the 90's) and marrying Stephanie McMahon.

Overall, I respect HHH for what he accomplished. He was a great in-ring performer. He had a great look - when he was clean-shaven (he wasn't meant to have a beard and I hated it when he had that Lemmy mustache). I think he made a better heel than face, though.

HHH has an undying love and passion for the business and hopefully, he can channel that passion into undoing the damage John Laurinaitis caused. I think he has a better understanding of the wrestling business than his wife does and with Shane out of the picture, I think he'll be a better boss than Stephanie.

HHH accomplished a lot in his career, but his critics will always claim that he got where he is today by befriending Shawn Michaels (a notoriously self-centered power broker in the 90's) and marrying Stephanie McMahon.

Overall, I respect HHH for what he accomplished. He was a great in-ring performer. He had a great look - when he was clean-shaven (he wasn't meant to have a beard and I hated it when he had that Lemmy mustache). I think he made a better heel than face, though.

HHH has an undying love and passion for the business and hopefully, he can channel that passion into undoing the damage John Laurinaitis caused. I think he has a better understanding of the wrestling business than his wife does and with Shane out of the picture, I think he'll be a better boss than Stephanie.

I hear you on that. But the part about Hunter having a better understanding of the wrestling business. I disagree. You gotta remember Stephanie has been in the wrestling business her whole life.

Back when Triple H was climbing the rope in gym class. Stephanie was having lunch with the likes of Andre the Giant & Geogre "The Animal" Steele. By you making that statement about Triple H knowing more about the wrestling business than Stephanie, that's like putting her on the level of a housewife.

Put it like this. As long as Triple H & Stephanie are together, the WWE will evolve into the nexr generations to come.

Back when Triple H was climbing the rope in gym class. Stephanie was having lunch with the likes of Andre the Giant & Geogre "The Animal" Steele. By you making that statement about Triple H knowing more about the wrestling business than Stephanie, that's like putting her on the level of a housewife.

The length of how long someone has been around the wrestling business does not automatically equal them having more knowledge in it. Ultimate Warrior has been around the business for a thousand years and I would undoubtly say that Trips would be more savvy in all areas of the business.

Triple H is a literal student of the game that learned the ropes from one of the greatest minds (although he was crazy) how to home his craft. Not to mention that when he made it to the WWE he was able to learn from vastly experienced wrestlers like Kevin Nash, Ric Flair, Scott Hall and HBK to help develop into the talent that helped the WWE greatly during the boom years. That's not even about just the wrestling aspect, but often more importantly needed to survive in the Professional Wrestling aspect the ways to make himself known and resemble someone the company knew was important.

Triple H was able to come into a new company as a green wrestler who wasn't really noticed into a powerhouse that dominated airways from early 1999 to 2001 even with the likes of Stone Cold and The Rock during their peaks.

Triple H was able to adapt and that's what is often overlooked inside of the ring and outside. Triple H looked like a star, acted like a star and in turn was made a star.

I respect him for playing his cards right. Making the most out of what was offered to him. Paving his own path and not being the type of guy to complain when things werent going his way. He deserves praise for all that hes accomplished and is in fact the last of a dying breed. I read the DX book and it shone some light on how difficult it was for guys like Michaels and Triple H to break through to the main event. Having known what the company was like when he started his career, and seeing how far hes come should elicit the respect of all true wrestling fans.

However, in sucess one has to learn when to stop. Triple H has often been accused of hogging the spotlight and burying younger talent but it had never been as evident as it was during his post Summerslam promo. The match with taker should've been the end of Triple H (as well as HBK and Undertaker for that matter). When two men as decorated as Triple H and Brock Lesnar fail to generate a meaningful response from the crowd (unless we're counting 'you tapped out' chants) you know its time to give it a break. The ridiculous amount of time spent on this rivalry is doing more harm than good and it should be addressed backstage, but its no reason to lose total respect for Hunter.

I never expected much of HHH when he first made his debut as Hunter Hearst Helmsley. While he was a good technical wrestler I just thought he wouldn't breakout as a star. His gimmick as a prissy blueblood was a midcard gimmick and thought he would probably toil around the midcard. It was common for guys in that mid 90s time period to debut and be built up, only to give guys like Bret Hart, HBK, Diesel, or Undertaker a believable matchup. I thought he would fade out like many of the guys of that time period: Crush, Adam Bomb, King Mabel, Duke Droese, and Henry Godwinn. HHH and his gimmick I thought would fade into obscurity like all of them.

For awhile it appeared he was fading away, I wasn't aware of the MSG incident because these kind of websites weren't around back then. But he ended up evolving into HBK's sidekick with Rick Rude and Chyna. While in DX, he shedded his one dimensional blue blood into something where he could show his true personality. Like I said I always thought he was a good technical wrestler, but in DX I began to see in his promos he was capable of more.

When it came for his title push, I never bought him completely as a main eventer until he became The Game. He bulked up tremendously and became a believable badass on a tier below The Rock and Austin, whom at the time were untouchable and getting pops through the roof. During his title runs he eventually became Cena like, especially once WWF became WWE and the brand split. Until about 2005 all anyone ever read was similar to what is said about Cena now, but as the heel version. HHH's title runs became stale and it was a relief when he lost the belt for awhile when Batista took it off him.

From 2006 onward, HHH would still have title runs but not as lengthy and dominating every Raw with a 20 minute opening promo that became the same thing over and over. Without him forced constantly on us (like Cena) HHH became much more tolerable and began to respect him for finally putting guys over. I'd still love to see him as a part timer because I grew to love the HHH character, and you have to respect the man for how he evolved his character over time.

It's fitting he is behind guys like Drew McIntyre, Mike McGillicutty, and Damien Sandow. All 3 of those guys are similar to HHH in that they are all solid technical wrestlers yet saddled from the outset with a gimmick that has limited growth. Judging from how HHH's career has gone, these three guys individually have a shot 10 years from now as being main event fixtures like HHH became.

I have the utmost respect for Triple H. In my eyes he is one of the best of all time, and there is absolutely noone on the WWE roster, or probably on any roster that I would rather see in the ring right now. Triple H is still that damn good as a performer and I am really looking forward to seeing what direction he takes the WWE.

As a man I have huge respect for him too. He quite clearly loves the business and is extremely passionate about his craft, he has had some phenomenal feuds over the years with the likes of The Rock, Mick Foley, HBK and so many others and even today as a veteran who only competes every now again he can still put on the best match on the card.

His heel work back around the start of 2000s with the McMahon-Helmsley regime was awesome, he is definitely the best heel other than Vince I have seen in my time as a wrestling fan. I hope one day we see him return to a heel chracter either as an active wrestler or an on-screen authoiry figure (which I think is more likely), and I would also welcome another HHH title run, he deserves it. He looked like a star, his physique was incredible, talked like a star and damm well performed like a star. He was on fire around this time.

His version of D-X with the NAO and X-Pac was brilliant, as was Evolution and he definitely helped to bring up the likes of Batista and Orton and although he gets criticism for "burying" certain talents- and I do agree RVD should have got the belt from Hunter, who really wanted to see Nash or Steiner go over in their feuds with Triple H? Not many.

To all the people who criticised him, saying his marriage to Steph was just to get him in with Vince and a spot on the board of the company...grow up. They have been married nearly a decade, have 3 kids and are obviously a fantastic couple. I can think of noone else I would like to see take over the WWE than Paul Levesque. He lives, breathes and sleeps the business, respects the business and legends who came before him, and will do a great job. He has given the WWE fans a hell of a lot over the years and he deserves your respect.

Circumstances being what they are, I give HHH my respect.

The man went into a match with The Ultimate Warrior and gave up a clean pin in less than a minute, for paying that kind of due I applaud him.

HHH coming back from a torn quad twice in his career says a lot about his desire to entertain us. He was already in bed with Stephanie when both incidents happened so he could have just retired early and cash the free pay checks.

I've said some nasty things about HHH on here before because I, like most on here, get overly confident in my opinions from the anonymous comfort of my computer.

His circumstances are that he's next in line to inherit the company, he didn't tell Shane to leave the family business. I don't blame HHH as someone who lied and manipulated to earn his position, he's the most appropriate guy as a random twist of fate as far as I'm concerned.

Posted from Wrestlezone.com App for Android

I most certainly do!

Any man who can tear out a quad and still try to go has to earn respect. Not to mention He goes out there and usually has one of if not the best match of the night. He really is the Game!

And for those that claim he buries people... When was the last time Undertaker lost a clean pinfall? He too has creative control over his character yet I see him winning a lot more matches that Triple H does. While Triple H has lost 3 out of his last 4 matches. And some would argue he has more to offer in the ring than Taker does at this stage. But because there isn't a "internet witch hunt" out for Taker, everyone turns a blind eye.

Yes, why wouldn’t anybody. Just because he was friends with Nash and HBK didn’t mean he was a guarantee in. Look at X-pac. It’s not liked he couldn’t wrestle and talk. I a lot of people say he got everything handed to him cause of who he married. They apparently must of just started watching wrestling. The guy was good way before. Don't get me wrong I didn’t care for his gimmick when he first came on the scene but then again he was a heel, so I guess he pulled it off then. I mean the guy had a lot of great and brutal matches.

Do you respect Triple H in depth?
In the words of the great Rock: I respect the guy, but that doesnt change the fact that I just dont like him. :)

He is big draw and is very relevant but he probably wouldnt be that big if he wasnt Vince's son in law. If it wasnt that move he would not be that big but he probably would be big. Let me explain that:

He would probably be big. He has the look, in-ring skills and some "It factor" where you just love him or hate him but if it wasnt his relationship with Steph it would be very debatable if he would be "The Man" he was in the past and is in the presence. He probably wouldn't be the authority figure of WWE and his title score, pushes and his overall relevance would probably be considerable less than now. He would be big deal, just not that big deal as now in the situation where he(and his wife) would most probably inherit WWE after Vince.

Other thing is: I just dont like the guy. He rarely puts people over even if he is in his retirement days and that it could be very wise to the future of the company(see "Punk last year :) ), he inserts himself randomly into feuds(up until some year ago it was Championship matches PPV after PPV) and is probably very responsable for the push of (to my opinion)one of the worst WHC champs that WWE could ever see because his buddy Sheamus doesnt have that "It factor" but is still shub down at our throats because he and WWE see something in the guy. If they even remotly invested that time on McIntire or Swagger(even if he was WHC champ his build was weak) they would be bigger and better champs then "Great White" ;) I respect HHH and some of his work, but sorry, I am one of those HHH haters. :)

Absolutely NOT! I have no respect for HHH i never have and i never will. I will never forgive him and his little partner in crime HBK for the Montreal screwjob. Who tried to destroy the legacy of a real wrestling Legend Bret Himan Hart on orders of Vince.

Instead of taking a stand for integrity in wrestling they both sold out and were rewarded for their crime by becoming huge stars under DX for many many years even marrying into the family.

This also had psychological and subliminal impact, steering a generation of children away from doing the "Right" and moral thing instead they were told that selling out and get paid by any means necessary was the best thing to do. Children's heroes are supposed to stand for good things HHH and HBK have always stood for the bad. And yes small impressionable children do look up to wrestlers as heroes and they do have a influence on them even subconsciously years latter.

This is why (real christian) Sting (as opposed to fake christian HBK) will never work for WWE,why Goldberg left,why Bruno Sammartino wants nothing do with with the "E".

While DX were morally decaying our children in wwe i was enjoying the much better NWO of WCW.Todays uneducated iwc will say WCW sucked but i challenge them to watch any episode of WCW Nitro and tell me that its not better than today's raw or SD.

The montreal screwjob was real and not a work and may or may not had lead to the supposed accidental death of Owen Hart less than 2 years latter. Of course after being financially beaten for many years, out of financial necesity Bret Hart said he has forgiven them but i never will.

Wwe fanboys will constantly say that Kevin Nash and Hulk Hogan were bad for TNA because they stood way past their time and took air time away from young talent to develop but they never say this about HHH and HBK who have done the exact same thing.
Unfortunately this will never happen as HHH is in the family and will be in power in Wwe for years to come but the best thing that can happen to wrestling is for HHH and HBK to just go away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back