Do Superheavyweights Ruin Wrestling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as superheavyweights go, the following were/are some of the good ones:

Big Show/The Giant (he moved way better than a man his size ever should've and could put on a match with anybody. He could convincingly wrestle Rey Mysterio or Kane with no problem. He was slow towards the end of his WWE career, but that was due to being the biggest he'd ever been.)
Bam Bam Bigelow (probably the best SHW ever. Wrestled everywhere. And for whoever said that he didn't have any memorable matches, apparently you never saw Bam Bam in ECW.)
Umaga (initially I was against Umaga, but he's a constant performer. Gives his all in the match and has incredible speed and agility.)
Big Van Vader (and I do mean the WCW version. Once he left for WWF and became Shawn Michael's bitch, he was not the monster he once was.)
King Kong Bundy (he was a classic. Not technically sound, but also not unathletic.)

The following are some who are decent enough, but should never be pushed as main eventers:

Big Daddy V/Viscera (Vis is athletic. If you actually watched his pre-ECW matches, you'd know that. Now they've just got him pounding on people, so it doesn't come through.)
Mark Henry (He was great in the Nation of Domination. That was where he belonged. He's not a singles competitor. He should always be the muscleman of a stable or tag team. Too bad WWE hates stables and tag teams, which is why nobody should get excited about a new Hart Foundation. It won't last)
Yokozuna (one half of one of the best tag teams ever, with Owen Hart. But just boring as a main eventer)

The following are those who should've never stepped into a ring. Ever:

The Great Khali (honestly, does it need to be said. He can't wrestle. He's slow. He can't even cut a promo himself. Fans hate him, and not in the way that the WWE wants. Just a waste, and a blemish on the world title history.)
Giant Gonzalez/El Gigante (basically, he was the Great Khali of the 90's. Just all around terrible.)
Loch Ness (the less said about Loch Ness, the better)

The following are people I don't classify as superheavyweights. They may meet size requirements, but when it comes to characters and personas, they just don't strike that fear into people that is supposed to be associated with SHW. Basically, my qualification for this is, are they somebody that it would require 5 or 6 guys to toss them in a Royal Rumble? These are not:

Kane (sure his name is the Big Red Monster, but he's somebody that can wrestle anybody.)
Kevin Nash (he was just a tall Triple H. But a more entertaining one too.)
Undertaker (great worker, sure, but people are afraid of his dead gimmick, not his size)

There are more, but these are the ones people remember. Super heavyweights are good for the business, but when used right. WWE just doesn't know what they're doing often times though. Some SHW are main eventers, others are just enhancement wrestlers. That's fine if they mess that up. They just need to stop signing people who are huge but have no redeemable qualities in the ring.

i think the best way to answer this is... depends on who the big man is

Bam Bam was always a good draw, he was good in the ring, he had a great look, people liked him

Vader in WCW and Japan was the ultimate monster, i wouldn't say Shawn Michael's made him his bitch in WWF/E tho, I'd say the thing that hurt Vader the most and helped kill his image to the fans was Hulk Hogan getting up from his powerbomb

Undertaker and Kane, while some people may consider them not true super heavyweights, they really are, but they are just such amazing wrestlers it's hard to think of them as just big men, you could argue that the Undertaker may be the greatest big man of all time

King Kong Bundy was convincing when they pushed him against Hogan leading up to WM2, most fans believed Bundy was too big and unstoppable for Hogan to beat, but the WWF/E killed his push shortly after that and focused on Hogan vs Andre

Andre the Giant also deserves the title of greatest big man ever, minus his last few forgetable years, Andre was a great attraction, damn good in the ring until he got too big to be as mobile as he was in his youth, and other then Hulk Hogan i'd say Andre is the most known wrestler of all time

Big Show/Giant has always been a pretty good big man, his weight problems in WWE have sometimes been hurtful to him, but he was very over, fans loved him, and when you pushed him as an unstoppable monster he could make you believe it, anyone remember when he swung Rey Mysterio who was strapped to a stretcher into a ring post? his best days were in WCW, this was a 7 foot, 400 plus man who could perfom a dropkick and a drop-toe-hold, from what I heard he was working on a moonsault before his neck was injured in a match with Kevin Nash

Kevin Nash is a pretty solid big man, tho injuries have killed his career and drawing power, his interviews are still great

Bubba Ray Dudley is a great superheavyweight too, the guy sometimes appears to be the most athletic member of the dudley's, and he's a very solid wrestler

Abdullah the Butcher was another great monster, sure he's a slow, lumbering shadow of his former self, but he's almost 70 years old now, in his prime tho he was great

Umaga reminds me of a modern day Abdullah, more agile of course (tho Abdullah did have a dropkick when he was very young), but truely an unstoppable savage

the last great big man that no one has mentioned, which you may all be too young to remember was Bruiser Brody, while not a classic wrestler, he may have been the greatest brawler of all time

but for all those greats we also get the not so greats, the One Man Gangs, the Yokozuna's, the Khali's, Kurrgan, Giant Silva, Earthquake, Typhoon/Tugboat, Ron Reis, Loch Ness, Roadblock, Mantaur, Bastion Booger, and the like

even though you make a good piont, i have to disagree with you where you say umaga is unathletic. ive seen him when he was wrestling as jamal. he can moonsault like a cruiserweight. but i would still rather see superheavyweights banned.

Sly,
GET RID OF KAHLI!!!!!! He has no talent in the ring AT ALL! All he does is smack someone a few times and then put in an iron claw. Kahli is so dumb he could even do a flapjack and killed someone at APW wrestling school b/c of it.

Yeah, because it's Khali's fault the somebody has multiple concussions and serious head injuries and the trainers make him go out there anyway. Do your research before you spout off.

VKM NEEDS TO GET HIS HEAD STRAIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why? Because he does what the majority of his fans want, puts on shows that the majority of people consider entertaining, and makes the best business decisions possible? Because he doesn't cater to TakerHardy13 and his tiny minority of wrestling fans? Please.

the last great big man that no one has mentioned, which you may all be too young to remember was Bruiser Brody, while not a classic wrestler, he may have been the greatest brawler of all time

Nah, I wouldn't call Brody a super heavyweight. He was fairly tall, but was a relative stick figure compared to other wrestlers his weight. He wasn't even 300 lbs. The closest to his size today would probably be Snitsky.

It's really a shame the way he died. For those of you that don't know, he was murdered by another wrestler at a WWC show in Puerto Rico. Unfortunately the police in Puerto Rico decided to let Jose Huertas/Invader #1 get away with it.

Umaga-very agile for his size and has a above average moveset. he is the best shw on that list by far.

Khali-i hate him people talk but cena's limited moves look at this guy. i mean really his only moves are big boot,chop to the head, and the claw. it is a joke that they made him champion i wanna see good 30 minute matches not 5 minute squash matches.

mark henery-getting older and not athletic at all. he said he will retire soon after his feud with the undertaker but until taker returns he is only gonna wrestle squash matches with taker promos at the end.

big daddy v-horrible. ugly fat slow and beats 3 push overs in 30 seconds. he is a joke and needs to retire. he will never win a title.

undertaker/kane-could be considered shw and if are they are the best ever.

I am going to be Big Wes's run-in partner now to totally, 100% agree with him against Sly Fox. Wes is dead on about the Cruiserweights - often times, when Nitro was on from 8 pm - 11 pm, fans would watch one hour of WCW just to catch the Lucha Libre matches, the Cruiserweight matches, and the TV Title stuff. The nWo hour showed up at 9, usually, when RAW came on. Sure, people would flip back and forth, just to see what was happening.

Sly, you say "The Draw" was the nWo. That WAS true, for a little while. But there is a damn good reason the nWo guys (except Sting, who wasn't even always nWo) are gone now. Yes, age plays a role. But guys like The Big Show, Scott Norton, Konnan, an Buff Bagwell who were overcome with the size and "sizzle" aspect of the business are deteriorated hasbeens.

The real STARS who came out of WCW during your precious Hogan-dominated nWo era, Sly, were: Chris Jericho, Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Rey Mysterio, Super Crazy, Dean Malenko, Perry Saturn, etc. NOW I REALIZE some of these guys are no longer around, but they became WWE stars due to the great matches they put on in WCW's first hour, while the nWo guys faded away.

I don't know what this all has to do with Superheavyweights, but I think Sly's "get rid of the cruiserweights" campaign is way off base. Sly, do you have an issue making stars out of guys who can wrestle, sell moves, have
20+ minute matches, and are not injury prone? Or do you want to wait until Mark Henry injures another top star with a botched move because "big men are big draws?"

Superheavyweights bore the shit out of me. As soon as they come on I just switch the channel. I don't care if they have a good character or whatever, I like high-paced matches with a good degree of aerial wrestling thrown in. Obviously, most if not all superheavyweights are slow as a toroise glued to a wall and they can barely jump off the ground, never mind the turnbuckle. That's my view, and I'm not claiming it to be anyone else's.

And yet, more people pay to see them and more people watch their shows than any other wrestling program...

Maybe it's not as bad as you like to claim.

Is there really another alternative? This isn't the TNA thread or i'd write a big long paragraph on why TNA will never be as big as WWE. I'm not familir with ROH but from I hear it's 10x the better show when it comes to "wrestling"

Because people paid to see the nWo instead of the cruiserweights. And you know it.

When did I say they didn't?? They also came to see something unique with the CW's like Mysterio,Phycosis(sp),Malenko,Guerrero, Beniot Hell they even added guys from Japan. The CW's drew WWE viewers into WCW programming and you cannot deny that.

I thought Raw was an OK show this week. The worst match on the night was the Kennedy vs. Carlito match, which apparently are two "good workers" :rolleyes:

Not really. It was ok just a regular WWE RAW. Kennedy/Carlito? Wait till you see Cena/Snitsky at Unforgiven or later. Wait till you see Big Daddy V/Cena around NYR. Kennedy is actually going somewhere because he has talent. He is easily the total package on the RAW roster. Otherwise for the no talented hacks like Snitsky,V,Henry etc..

If you can't draw, what's the point of having a wrestling company? Let's put it this way. If I could artificially manufacture wrestlers, more people would come to see a card full of Kevin Nash's than they would to see a card full of Finlays.

The CW's did draw. People even went to ECW for god's sake when they brought in Guerrero,Malkenko and Beniot. The X Divison is why TNA was even noticed. The X Divison was the best part about TNA. I'd pay to see a card full of Rey Mysterio's and AJ Style's before a card full of Khali's and V's anyday.

Drawing IS wrestling.

Yes,You draw people into watching by how good you perform in the ring. You can put on a great match,Then people will watch.

You think the WWE sucks. Millions of people beg to differ with you.

They may. Do I care? No. Anyone can tell you WWE is at one of it's worse points ever. Seriously Sly,The programming these days are just terrible even you cannot deny that. Don't let your blind Cena love get in the way of that.

I wouldn't go as far as to say they ruin wrestling based on abilites. Hell they're were plently of normal heaveweights and even light weights that stuck up the place. A few of the most popular wrestlers ever were pretty damn limited such as Hulk, Ult Warrior, etc.. If I had to pick a list of big guys I liked, i'd go with the following.

Andre the Giant
Bam Bam Bigelow
Big Van Vader
Kane
Undertaker(if those two count)
Stan Hensen
Also Scott Norton if he counts since hes pretty big in size.

Sly, you say "The Draw" was the nWo. That WAS true, for a little while. But there is a damn good reason the nWo guys (except Sting, who wasn't even always nWo) are gone now. Yes, age plays a role. But guys like The Big Show, Scott Norton, Konnan, an Buff Bagwell who were overcome with the size and "sizzle" aspect of the business are deteriorated hasbeens.
Hahaha, that sentence is amazing. The Big Show is racked with injuries but he has been a multiple time champion in the WWF/E. Scott Norton was very well respected in Japan as a wrestler. Konnan is a highly regarded wrestler, 43 years old with numerous injuries and health problems. Buff Bagwell sucked.

The reason these guys are "has beens" is because they are all old. Three of the four guys you named were highly regarded individuals in the wrestling business.

The real STARS who came out of WCW during your precious Hogan-dominated nWo era, Sly, were: Chris Jericho, Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Rey Mysterio, Super Crazy, Dean Malenko, Perry Saturn, etc. NOW I REALIZE some of these guys are no longer around, but they became WWE stars due to the great matches they put on in WCW's first hour, while the nWo guys faded away.
Super Crazy, Dean Malenko, and Perry Saturn were stars? You're stretching on that one.

But, let's look at the other four guys you named. Chris Jericho, Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, and Rey Mysterio. I don't know about Jericho, but none of the other three were superstars, nor were they champions, until they were huge 'roided up wrestlers. Not a single one of them.

Little guys don't draw. Those three beefed up TREMENDOUSLY before they were able to draw well enough to have a title run.

I don't know what this all has to do with Superheavyweights,
Someone wanted to get rid of SHW, I said if I ran wrestling and had to get rid of one group, it wouldn't be SHW, it'd be Cruiserweights, because cruiserweights don't draw generally.

Sly, do you have an issue making stars out of guys who can wrestle, sell moves, have 20+ minute matches, and are not injury prone? Or do you want to wait until Mark Henry injures another top star with a botched move because "big men are big draws?"
See, you don't get it. So many people in the IWC don't get it. This statement is a perfect example of what you and so many others don't understand.

It's not about ME having an issue of making stars out of certain guys. It's not about Vince McMahon having an issue making stars out of certain guys. It is the FANS who you need to be addressing this to. I don't care who gets pushed, as it's all an arbitrary process anyways. But, WRESTLING FANS ON THE WHOLE are the ones who decide who they want to come see on a large scale. And, historically, American wrestling fans have said, time and again, that they want to see big men, not cruiserweights. Cruiserweights are the appetizer to the big man main-events.

I don't make that rule. I just understand it's in effect.

Is there really another alternative? This isn't the TNA thread or i'd write a big long paragraph on why TNA will never be as big as WWE. I'm not familir with ROH but from I hear it's 10x the better show when it comes to "wrestling"
There have been many alternatives throughout the years. Capitol Wrestling, WWWF, WWF, and now the WWE have conquered them all.

The WWE gives the fans what they want. Maybe not the IWC fans, but the large scale audience fans they do. THAT'S why they are number 1, and have been since the mid 1980s (with the exception of 2 years).

The CW's did draw. People even went to ECW for god's sake when they brought in Guerrero,Malkenko and Beniot. The X Divison is why TNA was even noticed. The X Divison was the best part about TNA. I'd pay to see a card full of Rey Mysterio's and AJ Style's before a card full of Khali's and V's anyday.
Let's see....ECW is dead. TNA is a mere shadow in the presence of the WWE.

And, most fans would pay to see a card full of Andre The Giant's before a card full of Chavo Guerreros.

Yes,You draw people into watching by how good you perform in the ring. You can put on a great match,Then people will watch.
Then explain the Ultimate Warrior and Batista.

You have this notion that all fans want 5 star technical masterpieces every night. They don't. They want larger than life wrestlers, interesting characters put in intriguing and captivating storylines. Time and again, fans have shown they care more about that stuff than they do about actual in-ring technical masterpieces. I think Steve Austin and The Rock are GREAT examples of that.

They may. Do I care? No. Anyone can tell you WWE is at one of it's worse points ever.
You are contradicting yourself. If millions of people don't think the WWE sucks, than why would they tell you it's at one of its worst points ever?

Seriously Sly,The programming these days are just terrible even you cannot deny that. Don't let your blind Cena love get in the way of that.
I watch ECW and Smackdown as well. What does Cena have to do with this conversation?

I'd just like to point out that, sadly, it is most likely not the X Division that draws people to TNA. But neither are the SHW's. Wait, do they even have SHW's!? Abyss, AJ Styles, Kurt Angle, Christian Cage, even Sting draw. What's the classification for a superheavyweight?

Oh, and Kurt Angle isn't a very big man, neither is Chris Jericho, but they'll outdraw most SHW's any day of the week.

Sly you seem to think the slobs draw...Yeah ok sure they do. Crusierweights drew well back in WCW and ECW you cannot deny that. Sure it's dead but WWE looks dead right now with the SHW's invading.

I'm not going to sit here and quote you 50 times a day. IMO SHW's ruin wrestling when the roster and TV is loaded with them.Period.

Cruiserweights > Superheavyweights. They are more exciting and more skilled in the ring. SHW's can't even move. They are nothing more than big immobile slobs that cannot do anything in the ring. CW's give you high flying action and Technical wrestling. SHW's give you nothing but a boring match channel changing worthy.

You think Guerrero,Malenko,Beniot,Jericho,Styles,Mysterio,Noble,Crazy are not as good as V,Khali,Henry,Big Slow etc..?? That's sad man. You seriously need to start actually watching the In Ring action not the money making,drawing,ratings and all that bullshit.

You think Guerrero,Malenko,Beniot,Jericho,Styles,Mysterio,Noble,Crazy are not as good as V,Khali,Henry,Big Slow etc..?? That's sad man. You seriously need to start actually watching the In Ring action not the money making,drawing,ratings and all that bullshit.
And you need to understand that what you see in the ring is completely driven on what happens outside of it, in terms of money making, drawing, ratings and all that stuff.

Winners and losers, TV time, merchandise available, PPV matches...all dependent upon who does the best for business. It's like that in every single company.

And, traditionally, cruiserweights are less likely to do well for business than are heavyweights and super heavyweights.

i get more into matches with the SHWs wrestling. the only CW i liked was way back when where you could see all the high flying moves. now adays there is none of that. and the SHWs are becoming more agile. sure there are some big slobs like V, but umaga is very athletic, big show did very well for number of years, kane and undertaker even jump off the the turnbuckle and ropes. imo SHW > CW unless CW goes back to the old ways of high flying action

And you need to understand that what you see in the ring is completely driven on what happens outside of it, in terms of money making, drawing, ratings and all that stuff.

Winners and losers, TV time, merchandise available, PPV matches...all dependent upon who does the best for business. It's like that in every single company.

And, traditionally, cruiserweights are less likely to do well for business than are heavyweights and super heavyweights.

So you're saying that the Big Show vs. The Great Khali would draw more than Kurt Angle vs. Chris Jericho? I find that very difficult to believe. I think that there have only ever been a certain amount of SHWs that can draw, a far greater number of smaller people (not cruiserweights, just smaller people) draw better. Again, what is the classification of a superheavyweight?

i get more into matches with the SHWs wrestling. the only CW i liked was way back when where you could see all the high flying moves. now adays there is none of that. and the SHWs are becoming more agile. sure there are some big slobs like V, but umaga is very athletic, big show did very well for number of years, kane and undertaker even jump off the the turnbuckle and ropes. imo SHW > CW unless CW goes back to the old ways of high flying action

The only reason why there isn't a divison and high flying moves is because Vince McMahon is a jackass who goes an bans moves and hire 500 pound snoozer who cannot put on a match worth pissing on. The CW's from WCW,ECW and TNA are the ones i'm talking about. Not this boring WWE stuff.

If their was actually competition,Vince would bring back a good CW divison and not ban all sorts of moves. There isn't though. So its gone to the shitter.

You get excited in SHW matches? Good God. I don't see how. Claws,Bearhugs,Clothesline, Big Splash's....Boring.

Hurricanranas,Tornado DDT's,450 Splashs alot of Technical wrestling mixed in....Exciting.

The only reason why there isn't a divison and high flying moves is because Vince McMahon is a jackass who goes an bans moves and hire 500 pound snoozer who cannot put on a match worth pissing on. The CW's from WCW,ECW and TNA are the ones i'm talking about. Not this boring WWE stuff.

If their was actually competition,Vince would bring back a good CW divison and not ban all sorts of moves. There isn't though. So its gone to the shitter.

You get excited in SHW matches? Good God. I don't see how. Claws,Bearhugs,Clothesline, Big Splash's....Boring.

Hurricanranas,Tornado DDT's,450 Splashs alot of Technical wrestling mixed in....Exciting.

if CW went back to the old ways with a expansion of new wrestlers, yes i would have to say CW would be better then SHW, but how it is now I cant say that i can get into a CW match

So you're saying that the Big Show vs. The Great Khali would draw more than Kurt Angle vs. Chris Jericho? I find that very difficult to believe. I think that there have only ever been a certain amount of SHWs that can draw, a far greater number of smaller people (not cruiserweights, just smaller people) draw better. Again, what is the classification of a superheavyweight?
Are you saying that Kurt Angle vs. Chris Jericho would draw more than Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant? Because I find that near impossible to believe.

(keep in mind as well, that Kurt Angle is not a cruiserweight)

Are you saying that Kurt Angle vs. Chris Jericho would draw more than Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant? Because I find that near impossible to believe.

(keep in mind as well, that Kurt Angle is not a cruiserweight)

I didn't say Kurt Angle was a cruiserweight, nor did I say Chris Jericho was. I was just saying they were smaller guys that weren't SHWs. And yes, I think Angle/Jericho would draw more than Hulk Hogan wrestling a giant skeleton. Does Hogan count as a superheavyweight? Please, I need specifications!

I didn't say Kurt Angle was a cruiserweight, nor did I say Chris Jericho was. I was just saying they were smaller guys that weren't SHWs. And yes, I think Angle/Jericho would draw more than Hulk Hogan wrestling a giant skeleton. Does Hogan count as a superheavyweight? Please, I need specifications!
A giant skeleton? I'm talking about Wrestlemania 3 buddy.

Do you think, no matter what kind of booking they got, and no matter how great the storyline, it could ever top Hogan vs. Andre?

It depends on what kind of Superheavyweights we're talking about. If you think of guys like Khali, Mark Henry, or Snitsky, yes, I think they do ruin wrestling. This is because all of their matches are exactly the same; They come out and beat the crap out of the smallest guys in the locker room, then win and the crowd boos them. But guys like Undertaker and Kane are superheavyweights who have good, unpredictable matches. The Wrestling World just has to get rid of these "dominators" and let the big guys just wrestle like everyone else.

Also, I wanted to ask what the hell happened to Khali. He had decent matches in his feuds with Undertaker and Cena and his One Night Stand match was pretty good in my opinion. And in a matter of weeks, he can't even have wrestling matches anymore because he sucks so bad.

It depends on what kind of Superheavyweights we're talking about. If you think of guys like Khali, Mark Henry, or Snitsky, yes, I think they do ruin wrestling. This is because all of their matches are exactly the same; They come out and beat the crap out of the smallest guys in the locker room, then win and the crowd boos them. But guys like Undertaker and Kane are superheavyweights who have good, unpredictable matches. The Wrestling World just has to get rid of these "dominators" and let the big guys just wrestle like everyone else.

Also, I wanted to ask what the hell happened to Khali. He had decent matches in his feuds with Undertaker and Cena and his One Night Stand match was pretty good in my opinion. And in a matter of weeks, he can't even have wrestling matches anymore because he sucks so bad.

got to agree with that. Yes there are big tall dumb slobs who 1. dont speak english. 2. beat up someone who is 200 lbs lighter and thats supposed to be a good match. or 3. where big bald rotten teeth slob who, well not so sure what he is actually there for. hes not in any title hunt.

i like the SHW like umaga who has tons of athletic ability or kane and taker even bein a SHW they dont have the SHW feel. they are athletic and perform day in and day out. if you want tons and tons of big monsters Vince, well make them athletic atleast?

I say that super heavy weights have their place in wrestling, just be entertaining. Khali doesnt belong anywhere....cause he's a punjabi ******. I wanted to like him but he gives me no reason to.
What would a super-heavyweight be? 300+lbs? 400+? I guess if you're saying someone like the Undertaker? If you think he doesnt belong, you are a ******. Snitzky should go away.
I mean its hard to say as a whole. In any weight class you'll find people that are great and some that are terrible. and everything else in between.

I think WWE should (and by that I mean, Vince) should stop signing these giants just because they are big. Teach them to wrestle for god sakes. Some people have it, some dont.
size has nothing to do with it. Its true for the small such as REY, Funaki and Spike Dudley. Why wouldnt that apply to the other side of the spectrum?

I say that super heavy weights have their place in wrestling, just be entertaining. Khali doesnt belong anywhere....cause he's a punjabi ******.

Yes, punjabis and more specifically Sikhs have not been represented well in WWE. First Tiger Ali Singh then him. I guess Vince likes Giants because he is trying to drive home that wrestling is real to the younger fans and the realistic thing (as far as the target audience goes) would be for the 8ft guy to win everything and be pretty much unstoppable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back