Do Fans Have the Right to Criticize Wrestling?

Harthan

Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
Austin Aries made an interesting tweet the other day:

Austin Aries said:
Dear "smart" fans: I hate the term "botch". It's overused. Usually by ones who'd "botch" simply tying the boots of us who actually do this.

To which Brandon Stroud of With Leather responded:

Brandon Stroud said:
Dear Austin Aries: As a writer, I hate people who use quotation marks to be condescending. Stop writing and we'll call it even.

To which Aries retaliated:

Austin Aries said:
And actually, what you call being a "writer" I call being an "uninformed opinionist".

This was an interesting exchange to me, because it revealed some interesting viewpoints on both sides of the fence. Not that I mean to project Aries's apparent viewpoints onto all wrestlers, but one can certainly imagine he's not the only person in wrestling with the idea that writers (and, by extension, fans) are uninformed and therefore unjustified in their attempt to criticize wrestling.

The argument that Aries is making is founded on one of the most infuriating and annoying arguments that gets made - because someone has never done something, they have no credibility in their attempt to criticize them. We hear this argument in other arenas. Sometimes when a journalist criticizes a football player's performance, they might respond by arguing that the journalist has never played football. If someone hears someone sing poorly and criticizes them, they are sometimes childishly asked to "do better", with the implication being that if you can't sing, you can't criticize anyone else for poor singing. This is an argument that I think most are familiar with.

The attitude espoused by Austin Aries in this exchange reveals a disconnect between some wrestlers and their fans, which is to say, there is an attitude on one side of the fence that does not feel the other has intellectual equality because they've never taken a bump. But is this opinion valid? Do we, that have never engaged in the art of wrestling, have a right to criticize those that do?

I say yes, yes we do, but not unilaterally. The only quality that one must possess to criticize anything is an understanding of it. I would argue that understanding of wrestling can come from many different places. Just as an understanding of football can come from either playing about it, or watching it, examining it, learning about it, and writing about it, one can learn about and understand wrestling by either doing it, or watching it, reading the work of those that are informed, and growing familiar with it from the outside. The perspective of the writer - or the fan - is no less valid than the perspective of the wrestler, so long as they are not, in actuality, uninformed. The argument that Aries would like to make, it seems, is that one who does not wrestle cannot be informed about wrestling, which is what I fundamentally take exception to here. There are a number of excellent wrestling journalists who are quite well informed on their topic, and they did so without ever lacing up the boots. Watching, learning, reading, and writing are avenues by which understanding can be gained, and that understanding can be just as valid, if not more so, than the understanding gained by wrestling itself.

But perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps the unwashed masses who've never stepped between the ropes can never hope to understand wrestling and therefore can never gain any credibility to criticize it. Perhaps we are indeed no more than uninformed, arrogant, and ignorant mouthbreathers, our shouts full of sound and fury, but without meaning. I don't believe that is so, but by all means, attempt to prove me wrong.

Off coarse they do The fans are the ones who are giving the wrestlers everything they have. We are the ones who are paying for everything. They paid their money and true wrestling fans know what talent in the ring is and who is not. WWE and TNA think that the fans are stupid they insult the fans all the time. They say stupid things like you’re not the one who's backstage, but we are the fans who put our hearts into this business. Wrestling fans have some of the most passionate fans in the world. Vince McMahon may call the shots but we are the ones who keep him and every other WWE employee with jobs.

Off coarse they do The fans are the ones who are giving the wrestlers everything they have. We are the ones who are paying for everything. They paid their money and true wrestling fans know what talent in the ring is and who is not. WWE and TNA think that the fans are stupid they insult the fans all the time. They say stupid things like you’re not the one who's backstage, but we are the fans who put our hearts into this business. Wrestling fans have some of the most passionate fans in the world. Vince McMahon may call the shots but we are the ones who keep him and every other WWE employee with jobs.

Exactly, comments such as those expressed by Aries and others make it seem like they would rather be having matches in front of some empty chairs in some auditorium, but this is simply not the case, pro wrestling is for the fans. Not saying that if we don't like something it simply needs to go away or that we know better for the business but the opinions of those who buy merchandise, tickets, pay per views should be taken into consideration.

I absolutely believe we have every right to criticize wrestling. We are all paying customers in one way or another and are also the ones giving the wrestlers their paychecks. While they do risk their lives in the ring doing what they do, if I see something that I don't like or even notice when someone botches. If someone botches it's obviously a botch because there is a look of panic on a wrestlers face for a split second. Aries knows what he's doing, but I think I know what makes wrestling work after watching it for 20 years. I'd say that I'm quite informed and that I have every right to criticize if I feel the need.

I've spent thousands of dollars on wrestling itself. I've bought DVDs, VHS tapes, pay-per-views, action figures, t-shirts, posters, wrestling belts, tickets to shows, books and just about anything the WWE or TNA can offer. That's alot of shit. Your damn right I have the right to criticize anything wrestling related. I wonder how many houses or cars these guys would've had if we didn't fork over the money? Their bosses don't sign their paychecks, we do. As a fan of the sport, I have every right to criticize wrestling.

Aries is coming off like a complete asshole here. What I got out of that is he believes if you're not wrestling, you don't know shit - which in itself, is complete bullshit. You don't have to be a wrestler, to know what wrestling is all about. Not that it matters but being uninformed is a complete over statement. It doesn't matter how informed or uninformed I truly am, I have the right to tell you how good you are or how bad you suck. I get where Aries is coming from and there's alot of truth to it. But without fans, wrestling isn't there. Fans are just as important as the wrestlers themselves; if not, more important to the sport.

I dont think I can go one way or the other with this one, when you're in a sport or profession and you get critisized by people who have no idea what it's like to actually do what they're talking about then you cant help but feel a bit like you're being attacked by someone who has no call to do so. On that note I totally back Aries saying what he did but at the same time when you're a dedicated fan who follows the sport for an extended period of time then you should have a say and be able to complain. But don't think that because you know what all the moves are called you're an expert, the only experts are the guys who have actually done the stuff, but you can still have a valid opinion and know how things work.

I agree with the poster in the fact that the person criticizing should at least be informed on what they are critiquing. Everything else that people watch or eat etc... is critiqued so why should wrestling be any different. People talk bad about football players to the point where they analyze every single flinch they make. How many times have you heard a quarterback completely ran down by his fans after a loss. If someone puts on an unentertaining match why should we not be allowed to say so. Have never wrestled makes no difference at all. I have watched and read and followed wrestling enough to know what a good match is. The only thing i don't like is when a fan will say so and so sucks with no explanation. If you are going to criticize at least present some facts as to why you think what you think.

Just like any form of entertainment you have the right to criticize it to an extent. Take Raw tonight for example. Justin Roberts flubbed the lines of the Six Pack Challenge. Should he be made fun of for that? Yeah probably. He made a mistake and some jokes were made and that was that. Should he be fired for it? Of course not.

As for actual in ring performers, yeah they should be subject to reasonable criticisms. I remember watching I think Albert or Tomko (we'll say Albert for the sake of this) vs. Steven Richards from 2003. Richards came in with taped ribs and was slammed off the top. Richards held his ribs and screamed in pain. Albert proceeded to grab an armbar. That makes no sense and makes Albert look like a brainless idiot. That's something I'd have no problem criticizing.

Now on the other hand, let's look at a match like Rey Mysterio vs. Chris Jericho from 1997 (hypothetical match). You have two guys flying all over the place and doing things that only a handful of people in the world can do. Let's say Mysterio goes up top and slips off. The rest of the match is flawless and it's a great match. Should that be criticized? Probably not, but some idiots are going to do that anyway.

In short, there's a difference between dialing a wrong phone number and forgetting to deliver a governor's pardon to a death row inmate and having his head explode from electrical current. There's a difference between a minor error in a match and the errors that Jackie Gayda and Trish made in their famously awful tag match. As paying customers, we have the right to complain if mistakes get ridiculously out of hand and it's like watching kids in the backyard. However, there comes a point where you're asking WAY too much out of people that are only human and doing some incredibly dangerous and difficult things in front of a live audience. Fans do have the right to criticize, but be reasonable about it.

True, we have the right to say whatever we want while talking about wrestling.

But in the same way, who ever is listening to you also has to right to say what he feels about your opinion, and not buy everything that he read or listen as a gospel.

The hypocrisy is humorous. Aries is criticizing writers for the ability to write accurately but as far as I know 'writing' is far from his profession.

In this case perception is reality. If an outsider sees a 'botch', than to that outsider it was a 'botch'. It may not have been a 'botch' to the participants but that doesn't mean that there were not many other fans who saw a 'botch'.

Best as a superstar is to either let it slide or understand where the opinion is coming from and corrrect it.

Then again, I think Aries is technically a heel and may just be working the internet in character.

Honestly not a very big fan of Austin Aries. He hasn't sold a move since Bryan Danielson forced him to. Sure, he has the character that the IWC LOOOOVES (arrogant heel who talks shit and thinks he's a great person and can still back it up in the ring) and he does a lot of MOOOVEZ, but he doesn't tell a story in the ring. Aries is the kind of guy who will get his arm worked for 20 minutes, then not sell it once the finishing run starts. I know I'm going to get criticized for this opinion, but if Aries was any good at selling, or any good at storytelling, he would have gotten a lot more over by now.

That said, the term "botch" is overused. It's overused by ******s who don't see how it could add to a match. For example, Mysterio vs Bourne a few years ago. they're flying around, Mysterio slips on the rope. EVERYONE on the internet "BOTCH BOTCH THIS MATCH SUCKS" but really, it made the match better because the old lion couldn't keep up.

He has the right to criticize writers every bit as much as they have the right to criticize him.

Fans do have the right to offer criticism of wrestlers and matches. It's just that some fans take things a little too far. Who do federations like WWE or TNA put on shows for? The fans. Who purchases PPV's and merchandise, from which the money gained gets converted into paychecks for the wrestlers? The fans. That makes us their real bosses. They may answer to people like Vince, but it's the fans who have the ultimate final say. Someone could be booked to be invincible and the new top guy, but if the fans do not approve, his reign will be rather short. So, yes, we do have a right to criticise the product because their job is to entertain US.

Now, with that being said.... Many fans take their right to offer criticism too far. Sit back, enjoy the show. Complaining about stupid things like "why won't (face wrestler) turn heel!?" or "Why isn't (random midcarder who is not over) not a world champion yet!?". They rant and are impatient, taking their frustrations out on other fans or even the wrestlers themselves thanks to social networking sites. For example, I strongly dislike Gunner in TNA. I think he's awful and should not be pushed, but does that mean I refuse to order a PPV event that he will be at? Does it mean I will find him on facebook to send him mean messages? No. In the end, I am still able to sit back and watch the show. That's what being a fan should be all about, not running a constant analysis of the product. Analyze if you wish, but don't forget to have fun with something that's SUPPOSED to be a hobby.

Of course a fan has a right to criticise wrestling if they feel the show or performer is not up to scratch, making too many mistakes or that they are not getting their money's worth.

Saying they cannot have a voice is like saying a fan cannot complain or moan about a footballer missing an easy chance in a game, or a band performing a song badly at a gig, or an actor giving a poor performance in a film. The fans pay their money to be entertained and will always complain if they do not feel they are getting what they paid for.

Yes, its true that 99% of fans could not do what the wrestlers do, or the footballers, or the musicians, but the performer is only on that pedestal and given the opportunity to do their thing because of the fans supporting them and paying their money, otherwise the arena's would be empty and their wage slips would be alot smaller.

I understand Aries' frustration, it must be hard to have every small mistake analysed, but the fact is he wouldnt be where he is without the fans, and they have a right to voice an opinion about his performances.

Fans absolutely have the right to criticize wrestling. We spend our time and money to watch the product and give the promotions our valuable viewership, so if we don't enjoy something, we have every right to make ourselves heard. If a pro-sports team is doing poorly and the fans speak out against an owner or a GM or a coach, usually those teams take their fans' opinions into consideration without much argument.

Now criticizing an individual player is different, as they probably feel like after all they put themselves through just to entertain you, they deserve your approval. I understand the notion, but that's simply not the way it works. You're being paid big money to deliver, and we're watching you expecting that you will. If you don't, then the fan has every right to criticize.

Whether every fan should criticize or not is an entirely different story. I'd venture to say the majority of fans have no idea what they're talking about. All too often you hear someone complain that a match was too short or a crummy ending or how someone being buried, when really it's all just part of the show meant to evoke a specific reaction from fans. And on a personal level, we can't expect our wrestlers to be on 100% of the time. Even the greats had their off days: Hulk Hogan has botched a promo, Stone Cold wasn't flawless in the ring; to expect our performers to be perfect is just an unrealistic expectation, and when one that constantly delivers high quality work like Aries, I can understand why negativity might eat at him.

Still, he went into a business where he's going to face constant scrutiny, and he should be prepared to deal with criticism in a respectable manner. Bickering with a wrestling journalist on twitter isn't the way to do that.

For what it's worth, I still love A Double.

I think that the question asked in this thread addresses something different than what Austin Aries was addressing, so I'll address both.

First, the direct answer to the question, "Do fans have the right to criticize professional wrestling?", and the answer is an emphatic YES. A consumer has the right to criticize any product that they do or do not want to buy. Are those complaints sometimes ridiculous? Yes! I have a "stupid customer complaints" file that I open up every once in a while for laughs. But, on the other side of that coin, if I don't listen to the complaints that I get, I won't know how my customers are currently dissatisfied with my product. They'll go somewhere else, or, on that note, realize that they really don't need to be throwing $25 frisbees and not buy the product at all. Professional wrestling is exactly the same. Some complaints are just outright ridiculous and can be safely ignored. Many complaints, however, are frustrations with direction of the product.

As much as I often just do not want to hear criticism of my product, it's a useful stream of feedback that I recognize I need.

Now what Austin Aries was addressing (I believe) was the habit of some wrestling fans to point out small fuck-ups in the ring and then dance around their televisions saying "He didn't MEAN to do that! I've seen behind the curtain!!!" This is a reference to the kind of complaints that can be safely ignored or made fun of. If you aren't going all Gail Kim on people's television screens, the occasional slip or fall really Just Doesn't Fucking Matter.

A great example of this in action is Gunner. People don't complain about his work rate or his move set- they complain that he's boring. He responded once by lashing out at internet fans, and wisely hasn't taken up that banner again. Why? If your fans are telling you that they just don't want to see you, that's feedback you need to consider. Boredom is not a marketable gimmick, just ask Lance Storm. (Poor guy.)

The only possible reason why we have a "right" to criticize pro-wrestling is because of a constitutional amendment called "Freedom of Speech." However, from a moral standpoint, we really don't have the grounds to say anything.

It doesn't matter if we watch the show on a consistent basis. Watching something on television, reading dirt sheet reports, and actually WORKING for the company and going through the trials and tribulations of the business are two completely different things. I don't care how much of a dedicated member of the WWE Universe or a part of TNA's fanbase you think you are; just because you're a fan doesn't mean you have the right or the clear knowledge to criticize. And if you do criticize and think that you know enough about the business to do so, that makes you a smark.

I know that reply isn't going to be very popular but it's the truth. It's just not morally right to finger-point and poke fun at things that we have limited knowledge about. It's so easy and such a cop out to look at a bunch of guys doing something like pro-wrestling and to break it down, bit by bit. But maybe some of you should try standing in front of the spotlight in front of a few dozen fans (let alone tens of thousands and millions watching at home) and cut a promo. Or maybe you should try physically creating a realistic art form with another muscle-bound, 200+ pound man that entertains a live crowd on a weekly basis.

It's one thing to criticize something like football, baseball or basketball. We've all played these sports while we were growing up. We were on teams, we played in frotn of crowds, and we all dealt with the pressures that go along with it. But how many of you have gone to pro-wrestling school? You guys have NO clue as to how difficult this business is or what it takes to make it to a level like TNA or the WWE. Sitting there, cowardly, as a keyboard warrior and pointing fingers at stuff that you know little to nothing about is so simple. Once some of you take the hard road and take a stab at the REALITY of the business, then you can finger point all you want. Until then, you have no "right."

I'll give you a simple example. Suppose there is a soccer match and one of the teams wins by 4-0. There is a player in that winning team who has missed recieving a pass or two or there were one or two passes of his that were intercepted. The normal fan would ignore this and be happy with the team's effort. The wrestling fan prototype would unneccesarily bitch about this one player even though his "failures" were inconsequental. This is the type of fan that Aries is talking about.

Unfortunately, in the wrestling business there are many such fans who rant about all things inconsequental as compared to any other form of sport or entertainment. I can understand very well how it can piss a wrestler off especially if he has given a great performance but it is only the minor misgivings of his that are highlighted.

If something really bad takes place then the fan has a right to criticize it obviously but minor issues like botches should be left alone.

I like Aries' work, and I get the frustration...but don't think for a second he doesn't know that the fans pay the bills. Clearly, A Double wasn't trying to say that you have no right to criticize anything. He was saying that he doesn't care for the way it is done by some. The rest was just him trying to out smart ass the other guy IMO. The overuse of the term "botch" bugs him...okay, I get it ,but it's just part of the vocabulary, I don't like the term "smark" , but I don't let it bother me. "Botches" are going to happen sometimes, it's a performers job to incorporate that into the match organically, I think it's a sign of a real pro who can roll with things like that without making it look worse. If you feel somebody is just "uninformed", you don't pay too much attention to them or put any stock in their opinions.

I can't help but feel his quotes are taken out of context. From the sounds of he first one he is responding to someone, or something, that is talking about a botched moment in a match. In that case it comes off more to me as "look you are not the ones trying to do these crazy moves and stunts, even if we mess up you should respect it and cut us some slack" although no where near as respectfully.

In the end idk and really have no way of checking, I don't do twitter/facebook/social media garbage and have no intention of joining it.

I do feel fans have a right to be critical of what they see in the ring but only if they are doing so in a respectful way. Unless you are pulling off the moves they are you probobly have no clue what they really have to go through to make stuff happen in the ring like they do and even when they botch should probobly cut them some slack, not saying you can't point it out but don't treat it was the "hahaha you screwed up cuz your bad" kinda crap I've seen some people do.

we make the wwe what it is. if we choose to cheer for someone even though they are suppose to be a heel, that wrestler becomes a face. they pause during promos when the fans chant and the wrestler responds towards the crowd. its all about the fans so of course we can criticize. one thing that shows how much power the fans have is that at mania 22 when hbk did the dx crotch chop, they had him do that to see how the crowd would react and if it was a great reaction which it was, then they put it in the plan of dx returning. stuff like that says a lot

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back