DirecTV Facing Loss Of TNA Programming at Midnight Tonight

Chrome

Getting Noticed By Management
Viacom is currently threatening to pull all of its programming from DirecTV at midnight due to an ongoing dispute over rights fees. The network, whose channels include Comedy Central, Logo, BET, Spike, TV Land, Nick@Nite, Nickelodeon, TeenNick, Nick Jr., MTV, VH1, MTV2, Tr3´s, CMT and Palladia, says that they will pull the programming if a new deal cannot be reached; that would result in TNA losing access to over 20 million DirecTV customers.

DirecTV says that Viacom is asking for a huge fee increase, while Viacom counters that DirecTV wants to pay them less than any other carrier currently in business with the provider and that they have already been paying a lower rate, as their current contract is seven years.

Source

TNA Urges Fans To Call DirecTV and demand they don’t drop Spike TV. The number is (800) 531-5000.

[youtube]1ElzrVvvu5A[/youtube]

Good thing I have comcast!
What do you guys think of this? If you have DirecTV you should call them to stop it.

Hogan looks great in this promo! Reminds me of the Gremlins 2 promo!

I have a feeling this dispute will be resolved- there are too many popular channels that are at risk. I also believe that most people that watch TNA are hardcore fans and will still find a way to watch the program. However, if this does happen, I think it may hurt for a minute, as casual fans who are aware of AA title win may have tuned in to see what all they hype was about. I know I am considering watching Impact this week to see what all the fuss is about.

more info from Dixie Carter

[youtube]rMLGizen0GU[/youtube]

I called but I'm not a customer :(

In any event this is bad for TNA especially after Aries win's the title :(

TNA gets great, all mid-carders are built up properly in either the BFG Series or their own feuds, one of their most popular wrestlers in years wins the Heavyweight Championship. How is that followed up? They lose 20 million viewers due to cable contract bullcrap.

On the bright side, this stuff happens every year & gets solved at the last minute.

TNA gets great, all mid-carders are built up properly in either the BFG Series or their own feuds, one of their most popular wrestlers in years wins the Heavyweight Championship. How is that followed up? They lose 20 million viewers due to cable contract bullcrap.

On the bright side, this stuff happens every year & gets solved at the last minute.

I am a huge TNA fan, and I don't think they have 20 million viewers. Although, I do understand what you are saying. It does suck that this has to be happening right now with TNA and the really good shows they've been putting out as of late. In all, I believe this will be fixed, as of when, I can not say but I do hope it is soon.

Never, ever, have I been a fan of DirecTV. I used to work for them, their techs are a bunch of hack jobs at best. Shit services and way to much money. Man, I miss my Comcast, but, I have to settle with BrightHouse.

Even though I highly doubt casuals watch TNA based on their numbers, this is a huge loss for them financially. Just because people will get live feeds doesn't mean it wont effect TNA's and SpikeTV's money.

There really is no way for sponsors and advertisers to see how many people are watching the shows other than through the ratings and with DirecTV off the list, the ratings will drop even if the same amount of people watch. Sponsors and Advertisers have no way to tell this however and cannot rely on a hunch that DirecTV viewers will resort to online feeds run by SpikeTV, thus being able to see their products in commercials.

This is a huge revenue source considering how poor everyone does in PPV (minus UFC). Don't know if TNA has an out in their contract with SpikeTV but it may force them to pick out another option in the near future if this effects their finances the way it potentially can.

What is it with cable and/or satellite providers having financial disputes with networks? First, AMC has this smear campaign claiming their programming is only available on "satellite and cable" and "not available on DISH[network]". Now, DirecTV is having a dispute with Viacom. Looks like it's alot more red-tape crap nowadays than it used to be.

At any rate, neither dispute affects me. I have cable so I have both AMC & Spike TV :)

I want to start out by saying that I have Directv and I do watch TNA so its gonna suck if it gets tanking off and with all the trash talk by both sides dont see it being done by tonight. I would like to say that not all of this can be placed on Directv Viacom offersn decent channels but as Directv is saying most of their shows are re-runs right now and none of their channels are pulling in great ratings so this probably wasnt the best time to ask for so much more money. At the same time Directv has to realize that even though some of these shows dont meat all ages and stuff they are still watched alot so its both sides fult but dangit imma get really pissed if my channels are taking off because I pay decent money for my TV lol. not to mention my fiance is gonna lose her MTV shows haha

Yeah DirecTV and Dish Network always pull this shit with the channels it gets so FN annoying after awhile, that's why I got cable.

Hahahaha. Fucking cable networks. I have Dish, I lost AMC, IFC, and WEtv. Good luck though with losing Spike. Just hold out a month and it will be back. Thats how it worked when Dish dropped FX. I lost half a season of Sunny, but when it came back they replayed all the missed episodes on the Dish channel. Its what ever. Sorry about your damn luck Directv subscribers.

Bummer, I am a DirectTV costumer I surely hope this is cleared up.
I enjoy most of those channels. As I'm sure many others do as well...

latest update :(

All of Viacom’s channels, including Spike TV, have now gone dark on DirecTV. The two companies failed to get an agreement worked out regarding carriage fees, meaning that Spike, Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, BET, VH1, CMT and other channels have become unavailable for DirecTV customers. The previous contract expired over the weekend.

“We have absolutely no problem compensating Viacom fairly, but they have now knowingly put our customers in the unreasonable position of either accepting their extravagant financial demands or losing some of their favorite TV shows,” said DirecTV EVP Derek Chang. “We feel our customers should not have to pay more for these networks than the customers of any other TV provider. We reiterated this to Viacom today and have not heard back from them.”

DirecTV added that Viacom demanded the channels get taken down and said, “We asked Viacom to allow us to keep the channels up while we continue to negotiate, but they refused. We’re working diligently on a new agreement to keep making these channels available at a fair price to our customers.”

There is no word on when the agreement might come or if the channels will come back by Thursday for Impact

I feel for DTV customers. MSG just went through this bullshit with Time Warner Cable here in New York City last season. I was stuck watching streams of Rangers' games for probably two full months before an agreement was finally reached.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back