'Deadbeat Dad" - What does the term mean?

Derf

O.M.G.
In aprox 1 week, I'm going to be a father, and it's left me with mixed feelings. I'm excited to be having a little girl, but the mother, well, she's a bitch. I have done alot for this baby so far, bought a change table, a bassinet, and even paid for the ultrasounds. I plan on paying child support and seeing my daughter as often as possible, since she'll be living an hour away.

Anyhow, this morning her mother said I was gonna be a deadbeat dad, a term we've all heard before. I know I'm not going to be, but it got me thinking. Who, besides pissed of ex's, refers to a guy as a deadbeat anyway? Does "deadbeat dad" changed it's meaning from shitty father to "pissed at an ex"? And does anyone else have any situations like this going on?

No, I still think it means just a shitty dad, who doesnt work, lazes round all day and contributes nothing of worth to the childs life.

I think your ex's Mum is talking shit here, as you obviously seem to be willing to do as much as you can for the child, so she is using the term wrongly and is just pissed that her daughter is to be a single Mum. Understandable in way, in that she obviously hoped her daughter would be married and in a relationship with the dad of her child, but these things happen.

As long as you do what you said you are gonna do, and make sure u stay a part of your childs life, and contribute as you should, then you will not be a deadbeat dad.

You seem like you are doing the right thing dude, well done.

And congratulations also :)

Thats what I thought too. And when I said "her Mom", I was refering to her as my daughter. My ex is the bitch. My exs mom, I believe is impartial actually.

Yeah, deadbeat dad means a guy that doesn't have anything to do with, and won't help out with, a child.
I feel for ya in your situation, myself being a single father. My son's mom was a psychotic bitch beast, but lucky for me she was immature in her dealings with the custody hearings and I scored full custody. I would hate to imagine what my son's life would be like stuck with her right now.
That being said, all you can do is be the best dad you can be. I get a huge mad-on for women who cannot act sensible in a situation like this and are simply selfish bitches. That kind of attitude shows they care nothing for the child, they are just using them for their own means and to piss off the fathers. Not to say that there aren't a fair share of ignorant, worthless fathers out there, but there are just as much horrible mothers.

Yeah, deadbeat dad means a guy that doesn't have anything to do with, and won't help out with, a child.
I feel for ya in your situation, myself being a single father. My son's mom was a psychotic bitch beast, but lucky for me she was immature in her dealings with the custody hearings and I scored full custody. I would hate to imagine what my son's life would be like stuck with her right now.
That being said, all you can do is be the best dad you can be. I get a huge mad-on for women who cannot act sensible in a situation like this and are simply selfish bitches. That kind of attitude shows they care nothing for the child, they are just using them for their own means and to piss off the fathers. Not to say that there aren't a fair share of ignorant, worthless fathers out there, but there are just as much horrible mothers.

Agreed, if a couple has split up and the father wants to do the decent thing and be there for his child, and be a part of their life then he should be able.

Fair enough if he is a crack head/alcoholic etc then the Mum will want to protect her child, but if the Dad is like you too- a decent human being who wants the best for his kid, then whats the issue. I hate stupid bitches who try to keep the kid away from their dad just because she and him cant get on

Does "deadbeat dad" changed it's meaning from shitty father to "pissed at an ex"?

As far as law enforcement authorities are concerned, it has to do strictly with lack of financial support for the child.

As far as "pissed at an ex," it has to do with anything they've decided the father has failed at, whether a lack of emotional, financial or moral support or whatever the hell they're so angry at him for.

Often, these women are furious at the man for his failure to measure up to their standards of what a father should be, yet I have to wonder if they couldn't have considered his perceived shortcomings before they insisted that this guy be the father of their child.

And often, the woman is full of crap about those shortcomings in the first place. In her haste to have kids because all her friends are doing it, they don't bother to consider what kind of circumstances these babies are going to be born into and what lies ahead.

What constitutes a "Deadbeat Dad" lies in the eye of the beholder.

A deadbeat Dad is a bum. A loser. A man who cannot take responsibility for using his penis, and should probably have it chopped off. Pay attention to your kid, cough up as much money as possible, and you shouldn't have any problems.

Lately, around here anyway, "deadbeat dad" is a term used by angry women who are fucking their children's fathers over by restraining orders + huge child support payments for absolutely zero reason. I'd like to meet the judge who's granting all these bullshit restraining orders.

But it generally means a father who does jack shit, and doesn't even see their kid.

Does "deadbeat dad" changed it's meaning from shitty father to "pissed at an ex"?

a... ah.. well..

This...

As far as law enforcement authorities are concerned, it has to do strictly with lack of financial support for the child.

As far as "pissed at an ex," it has to do with anything they've decided the father has failed at, whether a lack of emotional, financial or moral support or whatever the hell they're so angry at him for.

Often, these women are furious at the man for his failure to measure up to their standards of what a father should be, yet I have to wonder if they couldn't have considered his perceived shortcomings before they insisted that this guy be the father of their child.

And often, the woman is full of crap about those shortcomings in the first place. In her haste to have kids because all her friends are doing it, they don't bother to consider what kind of circumstances these babies are going to be born into and what lies ahead.

What constitutes a "Deadbeat Dad" lies in the eye of the beholder.

... very well said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back