Dave Meltzer on the ROH/NXT mini-feud and TNA's postion

The Dragon Saga

Whale in a Teardrop
This is going around on another forum and now also Reddit and I thought it was interesting. This is a transcription verbatim from yesterdays Observer podcast with Dave Meltzer and Bryan Alvarez:

Bryan: TNA haven't been mentioned at all in this ROH and NXT mini-feud going-on. Does this make TNA superior or obsolete?

Dave: I think it makes them pretty obsolete. I mean, WWE never counter acted a single thing TNA ever tried to do to them you know. I mean, when TNA went to Monday's they did that knowing Bret Hart was going to return at that show. WWE didn't pull strings to bring Bret back because TNA decided to run Monday's with Hogan leading the line-up. This is the first time since WCW that a WWE owned operation has an issue with a non-WWE wrestling promotion and it just so happens to be ROH. TNA don't factor into this at all.

Bryan: So what you're saying is, despite years of "poking the bear" if you will and getting zero reaction, TNA hasn't been able to get nothing more than a slight, vague acknowledgment of their brand, but ROH not only has gotten acknowledgment but has been credited in articles and documentarys released by WWE as being more-or-less the brand who begins developing WWE's future stars, but is now their main enemy because of the toy deal, their similarities with NXT and son-on?

Dave: Pretty much, yeah. I mean, WWE is pretty obviously basing NXT after ROH. It looks like ROH with higher production costs, it feels like ROH with its presenation, wrestling is the main feature; granted, I'd say ROH has better all around wrestling right now than NXT does, but NXT has the WWE Network and has pretty much been the staple of it, you know, so ROH is swimming against the tide, but the thing that interests me is that ROH is challenging NXT whereas TNA never was able to challenge WWE. Like, if I had to pick between a WWE show in 2010 and TNA show, even though WWE was pretty boring around that time I'd still rather see a WWE show than seeing Hogan, Sting, Hardy and Angle. And obviously that was the general opinion because TNA had such difficulty selling seats when they went on the road but WWE were just doing what they do. There are as many tickets sold to ROH in Brooklyn as there is WWE in Brooklyn with NXT and NXT has like a million subscribers watching it, weekly. ROH has like 600,000 viewers a week between Sinclair and Destination America. They have the New Japan guys at that show but the fact is I see ROH gaining a lot from this NXT issue because ROH is going to take back the whole "anti-WWE" or "alternative to WWE" auras they had before TNA became, you know, like mainstream on a national level?

Bryan: Yeah but, lets make this easy, what you're saying is ROH has done something in its month on Destination America which TNA has never visibly been able to do, which is piss off WWE?

Dave: Yeah, I guess they have. ROH has pissed off WWE and I don't think TNA was ever able to do that even on Spike or with Hogan. They certainly never got reaction anyway while ROH has pretty obviously got one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back