"Dashing" Cody Rhodes

The Doctor

Great and Devious
Staff member
Super Moderator
Tonight on Smackdown, we witnessed an extremely funny segment: Cody Rhodes' transformation into "Dashing" Cody Rhodes. The segment showed Cody putting up a poll apparently voted on by the WWE Divas, showing that they consider him to be the most handsome wrestler in the WWE. He then proceeded to talk about his good looks while running down various crowd members, Todd Grisham, and Tony Chimel.

My questions to you are, is this a permanent gimmick change, and where would you like to see this gimmick go?

I certainly hope it's permanent. Cody was on point tonight, with what could be the best promo of his career. He was smooth, suave, and entertaining. I've always found him to be more interesting than DiBiase, and this gimmick could really get him places. Imagine if he had Divas fawning over him before every match. He could blow them off and they'd still faint. He could be a total misogynist just to draw heat.

I'd love to see him evolve into something similar to a Vega (from street Fighter) gimmick, in that anything touching his beautiful face infuriates him and causes him to go apeshit on his opponents.

I bet people will say that this is similar to Dolph Ziggler's Perfection gimmick, but I disagree. Ziggler is supposedly perfect in every way, and he has Vickie Guerrero on his side. Rhodes could become a handsome devil with a posse of admirers. Subtle differences, but they're there.

What do you think?

I loved the promo cut by Cody tonight, and he even poked fun at his dad. His new gimmick could help out him out, because there's no way I could picture Cody mimicking his father's character like Ted is currently doing. Cody has been improving in the ring over the past couple of months, and this new character could be the spark he needs. Cody probably won't become Smackdown's top heel anytime soon, but his new character is a step in the right direction.

I agree that this promo was the best he's done. Before that i never really had an opinion of him because he didnt get much mic time.

But during his promo tonight he was getting some decent heat and i thought it was funny when he was making fun of Husky Harris,Grisham, and chimel.

So this is definately an upgrade to what he was previously doing on Smackdown which was pretty much nothing.

This is what they should ofdone with Ted, give him his own gimmick. But on the topic, I hope this is a permanent gimmick for Cody because I feel as though he could get over real well with something like this.

I was pleasantly surprised by the promo. Cody did really well with it, and it seems like he's been practicing. Every other time I've heard him talk (Like when someone else isn't hogging the mic, obviously) he seemed like he wasn't sure and fumbled over his words. Being overshadowed by talkers like Teddy and Randy would be intimidating to most, I would think.

In a way, it reminded me of Rick "The Model" Martel. 'Cept I hope Cody doesn't don pink and carry around a perfume spritzer. So, I really hope he keeps up with the pace, and maybe even get a Diva valet. A "dashing" guy needs a piece of eyecandy or two hanging off of him. :p

I've always liked Cody, and he was pretty damn funny tonight. I think just having a gimmick is good for him. He needs more mic time to be able to draw serious heat.

But, I just feel as though he is another in a long line of cocky heels. The WWE is jam-packed with arrogant, cocky heels, and this is no different. Sure, each one of them have subtle differences, but when it comes down to it, they're all the same. Cody can only talk about his looks for so long. Eventually, it will become stale and worth nothing. Hopefully, in the short term, it helps him get over, but I doubt it's going to be some career-long gimmick.

I have not seen the promo, but from the way that everyone is describing it, I think that only good can come from this.

There is just something about Cody that tells me that this could really work. Maybe its his look. Maybe its his voice. I dont know what it is, but something is there that makes me think that this is the gimmick for him. Everyone has been feeling that he is going to get lost in the shuffle. He was going to be "the Jannety" of Legacy, with Teddy going on to be the star. Now we have seen Ted get involved in one or two comedy sketches on Raw, and Cody has become a pro on NXT. Hmmm...

Its kind of unfortunate now that Ted and Cody are on different brands. With Ted having Maryse on his side and Cody apparently having a few other Divas on his side, I know I would find a feud including them and the divas pretty enjoyable.

Cody would work better as a face, IMHO. I'm just guessing he's trying to be the opposite of his Dad, and go with a heel persona. Still, turning face after a while to freshen him up after a heel run is routine, and I'd like to see him evolve that way and come full circle. After that, it'll be more clear where he belongs and what works for him. :)

(I wouldn't mind seeing a feud with him and Dustin/Goldust)

I'm not sure how I feel about the gimmick or the nickname, but it sounded to me like Cody has been taking promo lesson for Jack Swagger. Where did that speech impediment come from. His "s" doesn't seem to come that easy anymore. Maybe it was just me.

This has to be the best promo I have heard Cody cut, like ever.

He was entertaining and he came off very heelish, which I liked a lot, even if he didn't get any in-ring time which I was expecting when he came out there, I liked that he was given 5-10 minutes to cut a promo, showing that he certainly has the overall talent that people have been giving the edge to Ted DiBiase.

I hope WWE is gonna carry this one through, because it is definitely gonna give Cody Rhodes some kind of meaning with WWE, after his break with Legacy he has seemed to be completely lost because Ted came off as the one who actually mattered, and Cody was out to "sell the punt" that Randy gave him, loosing momentum.

I must say I'm quite suprised. I watched Smackdown this morning and sat with disbelief through that segment of the show. Seemed from where I was sat that everyone in attendance looked a trifle embarassed for poor Cody - if that's the best gimmick they can come up with for him then I fear the worst! I didn't find it funny, I just felt sorry for the poor lad - for someone to come out and proclaim that he's really good looking and everyone fancies him kinda makes me want to cringe.

However - personal thoughts aside, i'd agree that it was probably his most competant promo to date, so top marks there - I was just disappointed with the material they gave him to work with. Fair play to the lad, if this works out for him I shall be amongst the first to hold my hands up and admit I was wrong, but in the meantime, the next time I see Cody walk down the ramp the only place I shall be "dashing" to is the Gents!

I must say I was not a fan of this at all. Wasn't he just given the gimmick of the " Uncommon Son ". This is like a complete 360 from this, and his theme music doesn't even suit this sort of gimmick.

While it is good to see Rhodes with a gimmick and the potential to actually do something on Smackdown, I'd preferred him to have stayed with the Uncommon Son gimmick, as he could have been like a second generation of his father, except the heel side of it. Also if he had kept with this gimmick, it would have been a great way to give Husky Harris exposure as he could become a tag partner of his for a while as it would be a similar gimmick and look.

I hope this was just a one night thing for him, as this gimmick is not going to help get him over. Rhodes just doesn't have the charisma to carry himself in my opinion. As far as where I'd like to see this gimmick go, I haven't quite decided, I mean it'd be nice to see him get into the Intercontinental title picture, but I don't know what else he could really do other then that.

This was the only part of Smackdown that I properly watched last night. I was heading off to bed, about to turn the tv off but couldn't take my eyes away from the tv and that promo. Fantastic stuff. It's really refreshing to see WWE invest the airtime on a guy who hasn't done much recently. I really hope this is a gimmick that they are running with, and it appears to be so. Having him repeat "Dashing, Cody Rhodes" certainly gives that sort of impression.

Also, I LOL'd at his interaction with the fans too. "I can literally hear YOU getting fatter" :lmao:

Will be interesting to see where they go with this.

P.S... I'm WAY more handsome than Rhodes.

It's nice to see they gave him alot of time on the mic. I was bored to tears throughout the promo though. Lack of interest on my part because Rhodes just has been lingering around for awhile doing nothing, but NXT. I'd like to see him play the gimmick into a match, as another poster noted it would be entertaining to watch him try and protect his face throughout a match. For right now I'm just gonna watch and see how the gimmick plays out for him. Hope it works for him.

I thought the promo was hilarious, especially the fifty bajillion "DASHING Cody Rhodes... Dashing... Cody Rhodes... Dashing Cody Rhodes... DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASHING Cody Rhodes... alright I'll stop now lol.

Cody has always been more entertaining of the two [him and DiBiase] and I think they have finally repackaged him in a way to be a great single's star. This gimmick could really elevate him to a higher status and potential. I don't think this gimmick is permanent and I hope it isn't permanent because at some point we will all be sick of it. But for the point being, it will elevate him to have interesting promos and mic time, great interaction with other superstars and divas if given the opportunity... and who knows maybe Vickie "The Cougar" Guerrero will fall for him and dump Mr. Ziggles [face turn anyone?]...

To sum things up. Dashing Cody Rhodes... Like it! Now if Cody would wear some damn knee pads to the ring for his matches I'll approve even more, cuz let's be honest... am I the only one who feels his scrawny legs and knees makes him appear to be more nude and ****ty than other superstars AND divas.

I completely marked out for cody, i always loved legacy but i thought ted was the better one and cody would be future endeavored. but it seems since the draft cody is doing much better in the ring, as i now look forward to and actually enjoy his matches, and the promo last night flowed so well, he looked so comfortable up there and really looked like he belongs, im really excited to see where WWE decides to go with this, and i really think he could do well, because smackdown writers are SO good at making stars, like they could really do something with him here.

But, I just feel as though he is another in a long line of cocky heels. The WWE is jam-packed with arrogant, cocky heels, and this is no different. Sure, each one of them have subtle differences, but when it comes down to it, they're all the same. Cody can only talk about his looks for so long. Eventually, it will become stale and worth nothing. Hopefully, in the short term, it helps him get over, but I doubt it's going to be some career-long gimmick.

Im sorry but i have to disagree, how long can punk talk about straight edge? how long can jericho talk about how he is superior to you? how many people can randy punt before it gets routine? i understand these are 3 amazing heels (im talking about last years orton) but the cocky heel thing is just like any other gimmick, it goes stale when it gets bad, and the only thing that can make it bad is the superstar and booking. if played right, ANY gimmick can last forever

By the way, i hope its not a career long gimmick, and i hope they just use it ONLY to get him to a higher status. but im just saying, its not IMPOSSIBLE for a gimmick to last.

Im sorry but i have to disagree, how long can punk talk about straight edge? how long can jericho talk about how he is superior to you? how many people can randy punt before it gets routine? i understand these are 3 amazing heels (im talking about last years orton) but the cocky heel thing is just like any other gimmick, it goes stale when it gets bad, and the only thing that can make it bad is the superstar and booking. if played right, ANY gimmick can last forever

As far as cocky heels go, I don't believe we have had a true cocky heel in a long time. In my opinion all heels are cocky because you need to be full of yourselves in order to pass as a heel. Cody Rhodes right now reminds me a little bit of Randy Orton in Evolution, character wise. Randy didn't voice how great he looked because fangirls and fanboys did that for him, but he was definitely arrogant, brash, full of himself to a degree that Cody Rhodes, I believe, is in line to follow.

As far as Jericho goes, he can probably claim he's the best until he retires.
CM Punk's straightedge will always be a part of his legacy, maybe he won't preach about it in the future but it will always be there.

@RKGO2SLEEP
I sorta agree with you and I quoted you because I'm too lazy to go and look for the other guy lol so don't take any offense or misunderstanding lol :p

its cool that you quoted me haha no offense taken. but ehh, i think its never lasted because its an elevation gimmick, not a main event gimmick, so it gets tossed. i dont think it ever really gets THAT old or stale.
and like i said i hope cody doesnt stick with this forever, because it IS just an elevation gimmick, but i wouldnt count it out because we havent seen it develop yet

Other than saying Dashing Cody Rhodes so many time that i was starting to think someone in the back was late on thier que, id have to say i liked it. if he attacks striker some more id like him even more.

I also like tha hes not just ripping off his dad like they have Ted doing which is a positive considering the flood of second and third generation stars running around wanting me to mark for them just because of who thier dads were.

This s a midcarders gimmick so until Cody becomes a maineventer he will have this gimmick with him. I think he can pull it off, he as the looks of a hot guy ad he has pretty good mic skills and wrestling skills.

This was a great promo, haha. I love character's that are full of themselves like Cody...sorry...."DASHING" Cody Rhodes was in the promo he cut.

I hope this is permanant. It'd be kind of pointless coming out after being un-noticed since Wrestlemania and cutting a promo like this, only for it to be for one night. It's like when RVD came back to the Royal Rumble.

Please. Be permanant.

*echoing* Dashing.....dashing.......dashing.

Im sorry but i have to disagree, how long can punk talk about straight edge? how long can jericho talk about how he is superior to you? how many people can randy punt before it gets routine? i understand these are 3 amazing heels (im talking about last years orton) but the cocky heel thing is just like any other gimmick, it goes stale when it gets bad, and the only thing that can make it bad is the superstar and booking. if played right, ANY gimmick can last forever.

Punk can talk about Straight Edge..for a long time. It's completely unique to his character, and he has a stable around him. As long as he can keep inducting members, it can go on for quite some time. Jericho is one of the established "cocky" heels, probably the most so in the WWE. Obviously Randy Orton punting people in the head isn't getting old, seeing the fans turned and began to cheer him for doing such things.

I understand, and agree, that booking and the wrestler are what can turn a gimmick into shit. But, with so many cocky heels already on the roster, you are eventually going to run out of sub-gimmicks (like the "I'm beautiful" stuff). The Miz, David Otunga, Chris Jericho, Ted DiBiase, Jack Swagger, Drew McIntyre, and Zack Ryder are already using the "cocky" heel gimmick, but in a different manner than Cody Rhodes.

I'm not saying I don't like the gimmick, I do. I just think it's going to get stale, very quickly. When girls come out and talk about how amazingly good looking they are, I don't care..because it's womens wrestling. Rick Rude did the same thing, but he was one-of-a-kind back then.

Cody looks to have an amazing future ahead of him, and I'm glad, because I've always liked him. I just don't think this gimmick is going to last all that long. But, I could easily be wrong.

By the way, i hope its not a career long gimmick, and i hope they just use it ONLY to get him to a higher status. but im just saying, its not IMPOSSIBLE for a gimmick to last.

No, it's not impossible. Not if you're good enough, and over enough, to carry it. I think Cody has the talent, but I think he might eventually get lost in the mix of all of the other cocky heels. And it's a shame, because I think he's more talented than just about any of them, minus Jericho.

Cody's promo started off pretty bad. I heard "Boring" chants throughout the first couple minutes of it. But it started to pick up some steam, especially when she told some girl in the audience, "I can hear the fat dripping off you" or something of that nature. I'm wondering if Chimel will actually call Cody "Dashing" during his entrance. As a matter of fact I'm not really sold on the word "Dashing". I would've expected a word that starts with C, kinda like "Ravishing" Rick Rude. Something like "Charming" Cody Rhodes rolls off the tongue a little easier.

I'll give it a couple weeks. I like Cody Rhodes, and I hope this gimmick wil be a step in the right direction for him post-Legacy.

Cody's promo started off pretty bad. I heard "Boring" chants throughout the first couple minutes of it. But it started to pick up some steam, especially when she told some girl in the audience, "I can hear the fat dripping off you" or something of that nature. I'm wondering if Chimel will actually call Cody "Dashing" during his entrance. As a matter of fact I'm not really sold on the word "Dashing". I would've expected a word that starts with C, kinda like "Ravishing" Rick Rude. Something like "Charming" Cody Rhodes rolls off the tongue a little easier.

I'll give it a couple weeks. I like Cody Rhodes, and I hope this gimmick wil be a step in the right direction for him post-Legacy.

When he started offending the crowd and ring-staff was when he truly earned my respect. You can't be a successful heel unless you insult anybody and everybody. Espacially when he said "I can see the fat dripping off of you" and "I can hear you getting fatter". Then he even insulted his own NXT rookie, Husky Harris. lmao. He's a really good heel. I hope this is permanant.

Tonight on Smackdown, we witnessed an extremely funny segment: Cody Rhodes' transformation into "Dashing" Cody Rhodes. The segment showed Cody putting up a poll apparently voted on by the WWE Divas, showing that they consider him to be the most handsome wrestler in the WWE. He then proceeded to talk about his good looks while running down various crowd members, Todd Grisham, and Tony Chimel.

My questions to you are, is this a permanent gimmick change, and where would you like to see this gimmick go?

I certainly hope it's permanent. Cody was on point tonight, with what could be the best promo of his career. He was smooth, suave, and entertaining. I've always found him to be more interesting than DiBiase, and this gimmick could really get him places. Imagine if he had Divas fawning over him before every match. He could blow them off and they'd still faint. He could be a total misogynist just to draw heat.

I'd love to see him evolve into something similar to a Vega (from street Fighter) gimmick, in that anything touching his beautiful face infuriates him and causes him to go apeshit on his opponents.

I bet people will say that this is similar to Dolph Ziggler's Perfection gimmick, but I disagree. Ziggler is supposedly perfect in every way, and he has Vickie Guerrero on his side. Rhodes could become a handsome devil with a posse of admirers. Subtle differences, but they're there.

What do you think?

I think you should keep quiet trying to give away my gimmick!!!
But it would be pretty cool to see Cody in a less intense role than before.I still love how he used to hop on one foot on his intro.I think the Uncommon Son of the Common Man can really get somewhere with this one tho,can't wait to see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back