• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Daniel Bryan should "sign" a Smackdown-exclusive deal

No Count Pup

Just call on me brother
Should Daniel Bryan be "signed" as a Smackdown-exclusive wrestler? In other words, should he only wrestle on Smackdown and not on Raw? I say yes.

Smackdown doesn't have three hours a week. It isn't live. But it could offer something unique: become the only show to feature Daniel Bryan. There has to be a carrot to tune into Smackdown. While Jerry Lawler lends the show an heir of importance, "signing" Daniel Bryan to a brand exclusive deal would make Smackdown required viewing.

Daniel Bryan segments are spectacles. Just the crowd reactions alone make DB-featured shows worth watching. Even if fans read spoilers, there's no recreating the Daniel Bryan fan experience. He is in essence spoiler-proof.

What are your thoughts? What do you think is right about "signing" Daniel Bryan as a Smackdown-exclusive wrestler, and what do you think is wrong about it?

VKM and Trips would never go for it. Neither would Mr. Danielson. Why would you put your most over star on your "B" show exclusively?

Why would you put your most over star on your "B" show exclusively?

Gee, I don't know, maybe because Trips and Stephanie spent almost a full year from SummerSlam 2013 up until Bryan was stripped of the title in late spring/early summer 2014 constantly telling us and Bryan that he was a B+ player? Speaking strictly storyline-wise, why not put someone you consider a "B Player" on your "B show", regardless of how your fans react to him?

Gee, I don't know, maybe because Trips and Stephanie spent almost a full year from SummerSlam 2013 up until Bryan was stripped of the title in late spring/early summer 2014 constantly telling us and Bryan that he was a B+ player? Speaking strictly storyline-wise, why not put someone you consider a "B Player" on your "B show", regardless of how your fans react to him?

This idea can't work when you're explaining it to the typical IWC guys. These guys still believe that HHH REALLY wanted to kill Daniel Bryan's momentum. They believe that the entire year from Summerslam 2013 until Daniel Bryan had to give up the belts for surgery was a SHOOT.

I think this idea would be brilliant. I think that you could end up making a gigantic angle from this, HHH and Steph continue to relegate Superstars to Smackdown only. They could use it as punishment (maybe someone pins Rollins, HHH moves that Superstar to Smackdown; maybe someone stands up to Steph, they get moved to the "B" show.) However, they should intentionally keep Cena on Raw, keep up that Realty Era bullshit that John Cena is the golden child. Other Superstars not involved in any Authority angles would continue to be on both shows, etc. Make it look very real and serious. Strip belts, do all sorts of stuff, to the point where the Smackdown crew invades Raw, etc.

As much as they let you believe in it(even if some in WWE think that), Danyel Bryan is not B+ player and is needed as top talent on RAW. If it was brand split time like few years ago then maybe would make sense to have him as top face of Smackdown(but even then to appear on RAW sporadicly), but now its ridiculous to just put anyone exclusively(let alone your top face) on B show who now serves just as a filler to RAW. :)

To be perfectly honest, I'm having genuine doubts regarding the various reports claiming that some members of WWE management consider Bryan to be an actual "B+Player" because it just doesn't hold water. Guys who are "B+ Players" don't get the sort of reaction Bryan has been getting, nor does their popularity steadily grow over time as Bryan's has. Guys who're considered to be "B+ Players" generally don't get video packages and proclamations announcing their return to action after being out on the injured list for some 6 months.

Right now, Daniel Bryan's return has thrown WWE creative for a bit of a loop. I find it very difficult to believe that the possibility of Bryan winning the Rumble isn't being genuinely and heavily considered. Since Bryan isn't a "B+ Player", why relegate him to the B Show? Besides, we're about to enter WrestleMania season and I just don't see the benefit, as a whole, of limited the appearances of the most universally over babyface on the roster. The goal is to sell WWE Network subscriptions and pay-per-views and IF Bryan wins the Rumble, not having him on Raw definitely doesn't work from a business perspective because, simply put, more people watch Raw. It's the show that's live, it's the show where all the big names pop up.

Besides, right now, WWE needs all the excitement it can get. The highlight of Raw a few weeks ago was Bryan's return and it's possible that his return this Monday will be another highlight, if not THE highlight. Advertising him for SmackDown! is WWE's way of trying to draw viewers to the blue brand on its debut for Thursday. It's also a good opportunity to see if Bryan can draw, especially if his first match back is a significant one. If SD! Thursday draws a good, strong number with Bryan advertised to return, it might just sway WWE officials more in the direction of having him go over at the Rumble.

The way I see things, Smackdown is hitting the reset button. It's airing on Thursday nights and revamping its announce team. Featuring Daniel Bryan on Smackdown would add an element of freshness it hasn't enjoyed in years.

I am not saying Daniel Bryan would never appear on Raw again. But it would be for special appearances. His Raw appearances would remind fans that if they want to see their bearded warrior, they better tune in on Thursday nights. My sense is DB would have more impact on one show per week than to have his act watered down on two shows per week. And with Raw featuring the likes of John Cena, Roman Reigns, and the Authority, Bryan can maximize his relevance on a less cluttered show.

When WCW started Thunder the intent was to feature Bret Hart as the principle character. I thought it was a cool idea; it could have worked if WCW had their act together. I think WWE can make it work for Daniel Bryan on Smackdown.

I don't see the reason why the WWE would send their by far most over performer on their "B" show at all.

The idea itself in having specific Top Guys on either show makes sense, especially if SmackDown! is to become relevant again.

Perhaps, like they did recently with the Ambrose-Wyatt storyline for a couple of weeks, by featuring their feud more on SmackDown!, that could be a good way to go, provided the feud actually catches the fan's interest and thereby makes them want to follow it, thus, they would have to watch SmackDown! in order to do so.

What are your thoughts? What do you think is right about "signing" Daniel Bryan as a Smackdown-exclusive wrestler, and what do you think is wrong about it?

What you are trying to do here is bring back the brand split in a way. If Daniel Bryan signs a deal with SD, then someone else like let's say Roman Reigns, will only appear on RAW. Boom we have another brand split.

Since the two shows are filmed usually in different cities, what you are in effect doing to limiting the superstars that can be seen. Let's say Bryan is in a feud with Rollins, that's puts Rollins on SD for the foreseeable future.

It just wouldn't make sense to take a main event star and leave him on one show only. Now I realize that Cena doesn't show up on SD that often but let's face it SD is right now a basically a recap of RAW with some matches thrown in for effect.

Its actually the brand split. If only DB is featured for SD and more superstars not then,why should fans care? We tune into SD just to see Jobbers being feed to DB. Yes,its good if more popular superstars are featured on SD

Would be zero good reason to do this unless you're going to split up the rosters again.

Which, come to think of it, with the Authority back creating havoc could be a compelling storyline.

Vince makes Smackdown his or someone else's and RAW the Authority's... they operate independently. "Invasions of shows" take place by different figures week to week.

I LOVE that idea. It would keep him the hell off RAW and he'll be on a show i don't tune in to... Daniel Bryan can be on RAW, Smackdown or NXT, he'll never be entertaining as a babyface.

I strongly disagree with this idea. Daniel Bryan is one of the most popular wrestlers on the roster now. With how much of a fan favorite he is, why would you risk ruining his momentum by having him NOT appear on the flagship brand? Smackdown having a wrestler exclusively appear on it could benefit it, so it is not so much that idea that I disagreed with. It is picking Daniel Bryan as a Smackdown exclusive star that I disagree with. We no longer have a Brand Extension and everyone knows Smackdown is the "B" show. The bigger stars need to be on Raw or on both. If anyone is going to be Smackdown exclusive it should be one of the veterans, or perhaps one of the midcard champions. Kane could be the GM of Smackdown working for The Authority to run that show, with the show having a focus on the Intercontinental Champion. This way Smackdown has things that basically are exclusive to it but without fans not being able to see one of their favorites on the show that FAR more people watch.

Should Daniel Bryan be "signed" as a Smackdown-exclusive wrestler? In other words, should he only wrestle on Smackdown and not on Raw? I say yes.

Smackdown doesn't have three hours a week. It isn't live. But it could offer something unique: become the only show to feature Daniel Bryan. There has to be a carrot to tune into Smackdown. While Jerry Lawler lends the show an heir of importance, "signing" Daniel Bryan to a brand exclusive deal would make Smackdown required viewing.

Daniel Bryan segments are spectacles. Just the crowd reactions alone make DB-featured shows worth watching. Even if fans read spoilers, there's no recreating the Daniel Bryan fan experience. He is in essence spoiler-proof.

Good topic. I getnwhat you're saying but I doubt WWE would allow it. Daniel Bryan = money.

With Bryan back now, they'll probably use him like they hadn't before to help elevate their shows.

So instead of Daniel Bryan being on Raw *and* Smackdown, you're proposing the idea that he is *only* on Smackdown? And this would increase viewership...how?

There's a reason that Raw is live, 3 hours, and on the USA Network vs. Smackdown which is taped, 2 hours, on freakin' SyFy. Guess which one the WWE really wants you to tune in for?

There's an easy way to improve Smackdown and it has nothing to do with a brand split. Just improve the writing. The WWE clearly puts the "good" stuff on Raw and throws crap against the wall to see what sticks for Smackdown. They are clear A and B shows. Agree or not, that's the truth. You're not going to improve your B show at the expense of your A show. That wouldn't be...sigh...

BEST FOR BUSINESS.

Makes no sense. Smackdown isn't at all as viewed as Raw. This would be the equivalent of burying (for real, not just losing a main event like many of you think is "burying") someone. This would make him less over and less exposed.

Makes no sense. Smackdown isn't at all as viewed as Raw. This would be the equivalent of burying (for real, not just losing a main event like many of you think is "burying") someone. This would make him less over and less exposed.

Not to mention, its not....not really booked as though they are different brands or shows or anything. That would be like "signing an agreement" with WWE Superstars

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back