Damien Sandow - What's the big deal?

NotoriousMEAT

TWITTER: @Son_Broku
It appears the Miz/Sandow story has finally reached it's conclusion, thank goodness. So can we stop pretending like Damien Sandow is some big superstar in the making?! I feel like I'm the ONLY person who doesn't like this guy. But to be fair I've never seen an ounce of potential in him. I don't know if it was the pompous "intellectual" promo's or classical music, the gear or his doofus face (perhaps all of the above) but from the get go the IWC has heralded Sandow as this great, underutilized, talent. But my real bottom line question is WHY?

From the beginning, to this very day, he seems uncomfortable in an interview setting. Not stage fright, but he's never been natural. It's always been so forced whether he was the intellect or the stunt-double. And my god he may be the most BORING performer in the ring. I've seen him live and it's not any better than TV. I challenge anyone to find me an EXCITING Sandow match. He works so basic, so bland.. with very little emotion. There's been moments like the mini-feud with Cody Rhodes, the MITB cash-in on John Cena, and these past few weeks with The Miz. But honestly, the other men are to thank for that, not Damien. The desire to see Cody get payback, the shock of the cash-in/possibility of Cena losing and the disdain for The Miz. Damien brings NOTHING to the table.

The identity crisis/costume period was trash TV and the "stunt double" never should have went as far as it did. At least not HOW it did. If Miz didn't have him wrestling the majority if not ALL of his matches for him, then what was the point? Stunt double my ass, he was a damn pantomime! The very fans who boo THE NEW DAY (3 GREAT athletes) and tell ROMAN REIGNS that "You can't wrestle!".. are the same fans who lose their ever loving minds when Mizdow takes floor bumps from a ghost! Uh.. what? And for all the people who can't believe Miz vs Mizdow had to play out on RAW and didn't get a solid WrestleMania spot, I ask you, who should have been bumped from the show? The workhorse ladder match? Orton vs Rollins? The Undertaker? The Rock and Ronda Rousey? For Damien Sandow AND The Miz?! The answer is none. There's been far worse storyline conclusions than a full month on every RAW and SmackDown leading to a gimmick-match that semi-mains a PPV go home RAW.

Sorry if I've just been bashing on Sandow, but this has been my perception of him for years now. I really would like to know what people see in the guy. What's the appeal to YOU?

No, you're not the only one. I'm with you on this. I've kept my opinions of him open all these years, and until today, he has yet to impress me. His only good match was the one match with John Cena where ironically, he lost his Money in the Bank contract. His mic skills and promos weren't that impressive to me either... It seems to me that his fans are always gauging wrestlers differently...

I once asked openly here about what specifically that people see in Damien Sandow, and possibly reference me to an instance where he has had a great match. No one responded. It was dead silence. But every few months, we would still continue to see his fans coming in complaining about how WWE was misusing, mistreating, and burying Damien Sandow, and what a talented guy (talent) he was. I don't know what "talent" or "talents" they were referring to exactly, but Damien Sandow isn't a talent by my book.

ps: I'm not trying to bash Damien Sandow, but if you genuinely feel he is overflowing with talents, give me some examples to illustrate your points.

He has delivered some entertaining stuff outside the ring but I'm mostly with you. There is definitely a missing piece (or maybe pieces) to the guy that needs to come out if he is to really succeed.

I don't think he is being held back but that is always possible.

He has delivered some entertaining stuff outside the ring but I'm mostly with you. There is definitely a missing piece (or maybe pieces) to the guy that needs to come out if he is to really succeed.

I don't think he is being held back but that is always possible.

Ya know what, I vividly remember his rap and interaction with Wiz
Khalifa backstage popped me big! Had me laughing for a few good minutes. Unfortunately he only seems to shine when he portrays a complete 180 from himself.

Sandow isn't so much great as fans always seem to get behind these guys who are absolute good balls; Al Snow, Perry Saturn in his later WWE careers, Santino. They seemed to be heading in a similar direction with Eric Rowan at one point.

These guys are never going to reach the top of the ladder, but they're great for keeping the mid card interesting, and also as punching bags to generate heel heat without using a top guy.

I like Sandow. His wrestling skills are solid, his personality has always pulled me in, be it as the Intellectual saviour of the masses or as Miz' stunt double.

Do I think he's a future world champion? Not in WWE. But why not treat WWE today (with its one world title) like we did in the 1980s - where not everyone is perceived as a future ppv headliner. I've long promoted the need for a decent mid card (I argued the point on a recent thread about Shawn Michaels' apparent failure to draw as champion in 1996, when the mid card was probably at its weakest level) to bolster the headliners, and the likes of Sandow - and Miz, indeed - are solid mid carders who if need be could be inserted in multi man main events (Survivor Series, Elimination Chamber etc) and look comfortable without really threatening the top of the card.

As for decent Sandow matches, I stopped watching Raw in late 2011 when they started aggressively pulling content from YouTube, so haven't seen too many of his matches since then except on ppv and the odd segments I get to watch; but I remember I think in the summer of 2011 a great tv match against Sheamus, very good tv match. There are others - I tend to need more than 1 match to appreciate a wrestler - but that's the first one that springs to mind. I think it was around the time that Cena and Mysterio had a brilliant WWE Title match (whilst Punk was 'away')

For the most part, I have to agree. I think he's done some entertaining stuff over the past number of months, but I just don't see where all the overwhelming adulation is coming from. Maybe he's been embraced by fans partially because they're hoping that it leads to an actual push at some point?:shrug: Sandow's very solid in the ring, is surprisingly athletic has a lot of personality and is very comfortable on the mic; many have thought so since his arrival in WWE several years ago so maybe they've embraced the "stunt double" thing, in part, because some fans do want to see him get pushed at some point and partially because he's been pretty entertaining as a whole.

Now that he no longer has any sort of rights to The Miz's "image" or whatever, maybe he could be in line for some sort of push. While the idea of the "stunt double" thing as a whole was beyond goofy, Sandow really worked hard to make it entertaining and I think he succeeded for the most part. I mean, if he can get the sort of positive response he's gotten with such a ridiculous idea, then maybe he's proven he deserves to be pushed.

I like Sandow and have always found him to be at the very least entertaining both in the ring and on the mic.

There is no way he was ever going to be a main eventer, just way too many people in front of him. But is that really such a bad thing. Not everyone can main event, and with Sandow and others in the mid card, it's pretty solid. The stunt double gimmick was hilarious at first, but did get a bit tiring over time. Now it's time for him to either find his own personality again, or creative comes up with something else for him.

The good thing with Sandow is he seems to recognize that fact. He knows he will never be top tier and is comfortable in his role. No one is expected to like everyone on the roster, I myself can't stand Sheamus and Bray Wyatt, and if I never saw either one of them again, would be a very happy camper. As it is and where he is, Sandow does a pretty good job of filling out the roster.

Phew I waited for some supporters before I could reply my opinion..

I really like Damien not just because of his stunt double gimmick. And I completely disagree that he isn't good in the ring or in the mic. He is solid in the ring and so better than many in the mic! I'm not saying he's the better one among the Midcard level but he is so good. But yeah he can never be a Main Eventer. He doesn't got the looks or personality but that's not the reason why he shouldn't be in upper Midcard. He can be in the level where Jeff Hardy was!!

Cheers!!

Now that he no longer has any sort of rights to The Miz's "image" or whatever, maybe he could be in line for some sort of push..

Or maybe he was just being used for the program with Miz and is now ripe to be bounced out on his ass. The whole "costume" phase he went through reminded me too much of the way WWE used Charlie Haas in his final days with the company: he did a fine job with the farce, yet the company obviously planned to let Charlie earn a few paychecks before future endeavoring him.....poor guy.

This is what I figured was in store for Damien Sandow when he started hitting the ring clad as a ballet dancer, so I was surprised and pleased when he got the assignment working with Miz.

I like Sandow....certainly more than do a lot of other folks in this topic. I found his "Intellectual Savior" bit to be well done, and his ring work to be smooth and effective. He seems like a guy opponents like to work with in that he sells well for the other guy.....and while I'd like to see him tighten up those abs and gain more body definition, he's a big guy and acquits himself well, no matter the opposition.

It might be better to take up this issue a month or two from now, when we've found out whether WWE Creative has other projects in mind for Damien.....or whether the loss of his Miz/Summer connection spells the end of his usefulness to WWE.

Hopefully, the positive crowd reaction he gathered in his program with Miz will convince the company to stick with him.

I've never been a huge Sandow fan, but he's worth a spot on the roster as a mid-carder. I found his work with the New Age Outlaws to be pretty funny, and even the way he held the mic during his "Intellectual Savior of the Masses" gimmick was entertaining. However, I've never seen him as a main eventer, and his matches don't scream out "push the guy!" to me.

But like others have said, not everyone is destined to be a World Champion in WWE, and I think Sandow knows that and is happy where he is. When he won the MITB briefcase I didn't agree with it, it was just a mid-carder holding the briefcase, there was so belief in my mind that he would win the World Title. I hope WWE don't end up releasing him now the Mizdow gimmick is over, because he's ok to have around the mid-card, but I don't see him ever progressing above that.

I say he's boring, and people respond with "he's solid in the ring". Guys for the sake of debate, just what does that mean? Or rather, how is that a good thing? Everyone WWE's ever put on TV was "solid" or they wouldn't be allowed in the ring. Is not botching solid? Or selling well, solid? Where's the intensity or the excitement or the passion and emotion? I agree not everyone is destined for the main event, and I'm sure Sandow could be comfortable in his spot for another 2-4 years and get by fine. But there's more than a handful of "mid-carders" who bring those qualities I mentioned to the table, so it's really not about ascending to the main event. I guess I'm saying people are forcing this love for Sandow instead of it being something that feels like he's really over. Even Zack Ryder had an infectious charisma, the underdog living his dream that you wanted to see succeed (well most people). Sorry I have nothing positive to say about the guy, sure he's a good filler. But the amount of folks I've seen upset with how he's been "mis-used" is mind boggling to me.

Or maybe he was just being used for the program with Miz and is now ripe to be bounced out on his ass. The whole "costume" phase he went through reminded me too much of the way WWE used Charlie Haas in his final days with the company: he did a fine job with the farce, yet the company obviously planned to let Charlie earn a few paychecks before future endeavoring him.....poor guy.

This is what I figured was in store for Damien Sandow when he started hitting the ring clad as a ballet dancer, so I was surprised and pleased when he got the assignment working with Miz.

I like Sandow....certainly more than do a lot of other folks in this topic. I found his "Intellectual Savior" bit to be well done, and his ring work to be smooth and effective. He seems like a guy opponents like to work with in that he sells well for the other guy.....and while I'd like to see him tighten up those abs and gain more body definition, he's a big guy and acquits himself well, no matter the opposition.

It might be better to take up this issue a month or two from now, when we've found out whether WWE Creative has other projects in mind for Damien.....or whether the loss of his Miz/Summer connection spells the end of his usefulness to WWE.

Hopefully, the positive crowd reaction he gathered in his program with Miz will convince the company to stick with him.

I see your Charlie Haas and I raise you Goldust, portrayer of such memorable mimics as DustyDust, Marilyn MansonDust (on ppv no less!) and the incredibly disturbing sight of BabyDust. He seems to have done alright for himself, even getting a brief IC title run around a year after stopping the 'dress up' gimmick

I say he's boring, and people respond with "he's solid in the ring". Guys for the sake of debate, just what does that mean? Or rather, how is that a good thing? Everyone WWE's ever put on TV was "solid" or they wouldn't be allowed in the ring. Is not botching solid? Or selling well, solid? Where's the intensity or the excitement or the passion and emotion? I agree not everyone is destined for the main event, and I'm sure Sandow could be comfortable in his spot for another 2-4 years and get by fine. But there's more than a handful of "mid-carders" who bring those qualities I mentioned to the table, so it's really not about ascending to the main event. I guess I'm saying people are forcing this love for Sandow instead of it being something that feels like he's really over. Even Zack Ryder had an infectious charisma, the underdog living his dream that you wanted to see succeed (well most people). Sorry I have nothing positive to say about the guy, sure he's a good filler. But the amount of folks I've seen upset with how he's been "mis-used" is mind boggling to me.

"Solid in the ring" usually means he has a good move set and doesn't tend to put on boring matches, whilst not necessarily blowing the roof off. At least that's how I meant it. And, not to deviate from the thread, but over the years, WWE has put some awful wrestlers in the ring. I never saw a Mideon match I didn't dislike, for example. But that's another thread.

I can definitely understand the argument with Sandow. The guy is definitely missing some pieces, not the least of which is finding a natural attitude of his own which I think we have yet to see. It's true he's never shown anything more than solid-good work throughout his career, but he's also never shown anything less which some on this thread seem to be forgetting.

To me Sandow has always been "entertaining" on the mic in a humorous sense, and he could carry a relatively good promo for 5+ minutes while wrestling a decent 15 minute match. He's also received a good amount of fan recognition in his career and has remained a person of interest to the crowd. To me, this constitutes a solid wrestler. Perhaps not somebody who will ever be a key cog in the machine, but one that can carve out a nice career in the mid-card and earn the trust of the Macmahon clan.. I don't think people have legitimately called for Sandow in the main event lately, or at least I haven't seen it.... many seem to be fine with Sandow where he is.

I think the reason why most of you think of Sandow the way you do is because he got "jobbed out" a lot. To me, Sandow got "jobbed out so much, people (in this case the WWE Universe) started to believe that he was not that talented. I was really surprised and upset when WWE decided not to allow him to win the World Championship when he cashed in his MITB Briefcase. I mean yes they (WWE) were getting ready to combine the titles (WWE and World). But, would it have hurt the brand if Sandow won the title and lost it maybe a week or two later? I was so glad when he reinvented himself with Miz and won the tag titles because he was really jobbing downhill fast after that match with John Cena.

I like Damien Sandow but now that the Miz and Sandow thing is over it just seems like Sandow is an outcast almost like Curtis Axel.

I liked Sandow in the previous situation he was in - a Midcard heel. What a weird year he had last year, ranging from dressing like Bret Hart to his eventual Mizdow thing. I am so glad that feud seems to be concluding or has already been concluded. It was funny for a while but they ran it into the ground. He made the best of it and became one of those ironic crowd favorites. Unfortunately for Sandow, I think he's in trouble without The Miz stunt double gimmick.

His credibility as pretty much destroyed at this point after months and months being Miz's bitch, losing constantly, and acting like a buffoon. At this point he is light years from being a "main eventer". I'm not sure how they are trying to portray him now, as a guy looking for a second chance a la Ryback after his injury? I'm not sure who to even pair him with other than maybe Sheamus, who would undoubtedly roll through him.

I've never been too big on the guy either, and to the guy asking about solid in the ring, I completely agree. Everybody in the WWE(aside from your outliers like Khali) can put on a good match if given the opportunity. To be honest, I've never seen a stellar or even good match out of Sandow. His intellectual savior gimmick people loved, yet I just genuinely found him annoying(which I guess means he was doing a good job). I remember during one of the DX segments he interrupted it and I'm thinking this midcarder is in the ring with how many legends?

But I didn't see him cash in or even hold the briefcase and I'm glad I didn't, I think I'd have no hope for the guy then. When he started taking other peoples gimmicks it was humorous for a couple weeks...and then it wasn't. Even with Miz, who I am a huge fan of, it just wasn't enough for me. Once again working with the Miz got someone over, who would have figured?

Now he has no gimmick, which is really sad being as he was so over just a month ago. Maybe the WWE will find a good gimmick to give him...or maybe he'll fade into obscurity?

The intellectual savior gimmick was cool and all but when they went away from that they ruined him. Miz was able to resuscitate this guy's career for a few months, to Miz's credit but it seems like Sandow's luck has run it's course.

He's aimless. I guess they are going to use his mocking of people to create a gimmick where he is a smartass babyface. It's a comedic gimmick but it can be used to create some interesting offense like he used on Smackdown.

It's sad but he probably looking at a pink slip soon.

I'd just put him and Stardust into a bizarre Tag Team. Can't hurt either of them can it? Also, I am sure they would do well together in different personas to the Rhodes Scholars and continue in helping make the Tag title scene "better" with the likes of Cesaro&Kidd, Heel New Day and the Usos.

Sorry if I've just been bashing on Sandow, but this has been my perception of him for years now. I really would like to know what people see in the guy. What's the appeal to YOU?

You asked a question and people answered it, and then you seemed to upset with their answers or the fact they didn't agree with you.

I answered the question with the fact that I like him and find him entertaining, but that's my own personal feelings towards him. Other have different reasons for not turning the TV off when he comes on.

No one is upset that I can see with the fact they think he's been misused. The general feeling is that while he is fine in the mid card he will never be main event player. There are a number of other wrestlers in that category as well, and like I said, you need those guys to fill out the roster.

I watched Sam Roberts podcast with the Miz and Summer Rae, and the Miz said that he did everything he could to get Sandow over. The fans wanted them separated so the WWE did it, now it's going to be interesting to see if the fans stick with Sandow.

His gimmick after his split from the Miz have been horrible in my opinion. On Smackdown he was repeating whatever the ring announcer said during his entrance. Are we supposed to cheer for a gimmick that is even worse than the fruity pebbles Cena? Hopefully this is just a transition phase and we can get something that is actual comedy from Sandow in the future because he is doing what a 5 years old kid do to irritate and bully another 5 years old kid.

I think the reason Sandow doesn't seem appealing to the majority in here is that the WWE never really gave him something interesting to do. Everytime he was in some sort of storyline he excelled imo. At some point, they put Sandow against a babyface-Cena-like Sheamus. Why do I have any reason to believe that Sandow is coming on top? How can you expect him to win you over if he doesn't get any mic time?

There were 3 times he was in a storyline that mattered (correct me if i'm wrong). First it was the MITB feud with Cody Rhodes, which lasted for 1 month, then the match with Cena and then the Mizdow thing. Every single time the creative gave us a reason to care about him, we did because he was good at what he did.

I believe Sandow just needs a direction and something of a character. Give this guy mic time, let him be emotional on the mic against a pretty over heel and he will make the most of it, I assure you. I'm not saying he has the potential to be a main eventer, but that's fine, not everybody is bound for greatness. I mean, look at the Miz, extremely charismatic person, just not main event material.

Sometimes I wonder if an NXT run with storylines that matter and mic time would alter the opinion of the ones who oppose him. For the record I'm refering to the current Damien Sandow, now that we somewhat know who he is.

Man, Sandow has been bad, and I mean very bad since splitting from The Miz, and it really pains me to say that. Sandow needs a gimmick because I'm realizing as himself, he's corny and hokey... he reminds me of an early day Rocky Maivia. It seems like he's taken 5 steps back since his Intellectual Savior gimmick and I don't understand it to be honest.

The whole time he's cutting that promo on Axel, I'm thinking, wow if I didn't know who Sandow was I would hate him right now. Maybe I'm being too hard on Sandow but I had such high expectations for him coming out of The Mizdow gimmick, and I'm realizing that my hopes were probably a little too high. Just give him a character and a direction and he'll be fine... it's where he thrives, but for the love of God, don't make him a squeaky clean babyface. If he continues with this "imitation game" gimmick, I'm legitimately going to just turn off when he comes on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back