Damien Mizdow: The Joke Is Over

The Brain

King Of The Ring
Throughout 2014 the Damien Sandow has been a comedy character. He had a new gimmick every week based on what town WWE was in or what was going on in pop culture. Most people here seemed to hate it and thought Sandow deserved better. About three months ago Sandow stumbled into something that worked when he became Mizdow, the stunt double sidekick of The Miz. I doubt Mizdow was supposed to stick. Like everything else Sandow was doing it was probably meant to be a one time thing but it unexpectedly caught on. All of a sudden the fans didn't mind Sandow being a ridiculous comedy character because they thought this character was funny.

I thought it was funny at first too but after three months enough is enough. I'm glad Sandow found something that got him out of that funk he was in but is he really any better off than when he was dressing up as a superhero villain or a lumberjack? The short answer is yes because he's on tv more consistently and has the fans behind him, but how long can this possibly last? I'm shocked people are still behind this character.

I don't want to be a stick in the mud but to me the joke is over. Like I said, I thought it was funny at first but this is the kind of character that should have lasted about a month. This joke has a shelf life and personally I thought it expired several weeks ago. Why is Sandow doing this anyway? Why is he more concerned with mirroring Miz's every action instead of winning a match? Since when does a stunt double just mirror an actor anyway? That's not what a stunt double is. I think the gimmick would work better if Miz tried to use Sandow as an actual stunt double like the very first time this character was introduced. Instead Sandow looks like a bumbling fool running around on the apron and falling on the floor for no reason

Is this what you had in mind when you thought Sandow deserved better when he had a new comedy character every week? He's still just a comedy character. Are you still laughing along with this joke? I don't mind comedy characters and I don't blame WWE for sticking with it. Mizdow has caught on with the fans so I expect them to ride the wave. I'm just not sure why the fans are still behind this character.

I guess you could interpret my choice of words in the title two different ways. I mean the word over as done but in wrestling we know over can have another meaning. Are you over Mizdow or is Mizdow over with you?

I think Mizdow is over with the crowd which is why they are keeping it going. Right now, they can use the two of them as a tag-team that are actually interesting - incredible I know.

In the long run, Mizdow can split from The Miz but right now it is working. There is still comic potential as well giving The Miz the chance to shine as a heel.

Of course this will get old but it's not at that stage yet. I reckon there are a few weeks left at least as long as it's isn't the same stuff. For example, Mizdow pretending to take a hip-toss was pretty funny. The random miming during promos less so.

I love it, they've managed to find a way to get me to watch segments featuring teh Miz of all people. That said I think their building up to Miz growing jealous of his "stunt double" getting more over than him, leading to Miz doing what Miz always does to his partners, he'll turn on him, just like he he did on JoMo, A-Ry, & everybody else he's ever been associated with. It could be a fun feud for awhile when we get there, though in the end I don't know where it would leave Sandow going forward.

They should be evolving this character. Taking it to the next level.

Instead of Mizdow just copying The Miz, I wanted to see him pin Sheamus to win the US Championship instead of The Miz at the last PPV. And then see how that dynamic works out between the two. Maybe Miz acts like he is the champion, but Mizdow was the one who actually won the match. What do they do there? I think eventually the story should be that the stunt double becomes more popular than the superstar, and starts winning gold instead of the superstar, and tease a split between the two until finally Miz has enough.

I'd like to see them at least start going down this path.

It's a rather strange situation here. Damien Sandow has gone from being a guy who demands respect, to someone getting the respect from the fans, but not really for himself. He's getting it for playing a parody of one of the most obnoxious characters on the roster.

The Miz on the other hand, the most obnoxious character, needs Sandow in order to make people watch his matches. I know that when the Miz used to come out, I would go for a smoke, get a coffee anything not to have to put up with him. Now I find myself watching his matches, but not watching him. I'm watching to see what Mizdow is doing.

Mizdow gets the biggest pop of the two of them, and I would love to see them feud. Then Damien Sandow can go back to being himself and I can go back to not watching the Miz.

The Mizdow character is working well enough. It still gets a good reaction and unlike most of WWE's terrible attempts at comedy it actually makes me laugh. Him and Miz getting added to the tag division also works out great for everyone, both men would be totally lost in the midcard if they went their separate ways, especially with Rowen, Harper and Ryback currently getting pushed at the same time. And that's not even counting the soon to be returning BNB and Rey probably isn't that far behind him. The tag division is sorely in need of teams and the mimicking thing just works so well there. And if they somehow become champs tonight Sandow might get the biggest pop of his career.

Of course this can't last forever but I'm still enjoying the ride and hoping it lasts for quite a while longer.

It doesn't really do much for me personally but, then again, I can't say that I flat out hate it either. To me, it's just one of those things that just happens to be there. However, Mizdow seems to be pretty over with fans and the notion of a "stunt double" is pretty original in an industry where originality is pretty rare because just about everything's been done.

This is purely speculative on my part, but MAYBE the Mizdow character could be the beginning of an extended push for Sandow. He obviously can't be the "stunt double" forever, something I think is starting to wind down & will be over with before long, and I think a singles feud with Miz is on the horizon. From a character standpoint and on the mic, Sandow is somebody that's been consistently strong since coming to WWE, so maybe kicking Miz's ass in a singles feud could lead to a singles push and eventual run as IC or US champ.

The joke is indeed over. As in over with the crowds. The fans are loving this right now, and he's one of the most over stars on the roster. People love Mizdow, and you hear it every time he's on screen. Why fix what ain't broke? Right now, let's ride it out. I think they should give them the Tag Titles, but that's for another time. As of right now, the WWE universe is digging Mizdow. Let it be I say.

Damien Sandow being a joke is over. He has rejuvenated his career and is one of the most loved Superstar in the WWE today. Top fan-favorite! When you get new merchandise then you know you are doing something right and the 'Stunt Double' t-shirts are selling like crazy! The WWE Universe genuinely root for the guy. Take a look at the 1:19 mark and you see a passionate WWE fan in a red shirt laughing his tail off and having a good time!http://youtu.be/6r3xcwl7mLs?list=UUJ5v_MCY6GNUBTO8-D3XoAg As a Damien Sandow fan 4 life, I'm happy that he is one of the top highlights of every Raw and Smackdown.

The internet is always filled with people playing monday morning quarterback and being negative about everything on a tv show they choose to watch. What do you know about character development or the wrestling industry? Am I qualified to go quarterback the Jets because I see them play on Sunday? Is watching Raw enough to make you qualified to develop characters, manage a roster, produce compelling stories and decide who to push? Who are you to say when something is "old" despite the fact millions of people are laughing at it. You are just one of those negative people that will always complain. Today you complain because he is doing this, but you would complain the same if he wasn't. At least he is employed and getting TV time. Stop watching a show and looking for the negative points. Try actually being entertained by your entertainment instead of looking to be a negative internet fan and you may actually enjoy it more. I'm sure you won't change, but shows are more enjoyable when you focus on positives instead of complaining all the time. I have been watching since 1991 and I enjoy this character and product ever bit as much today. Leave the negativity aside, it doesn't make you cool.

Damien Sandow being a joke is over. He has rejuvenated his career and is one of the most loved Superstar in the WWE today. Top fan-favorite! When you get new merchandise then you know you are doing something right and the 'Stunt Double' t-shirts are selling like crazy! The WWE Universe genuinely root for the guy. Take a look at the 1:19 mark and you see a passionate WWE fan in a red shirt laughing his tail off and having a good time!http://youtu.be/6r3xcwl7mLs?list=UUJ5v_MCY6GNUBTO8-D3XoAg As a Damien Sandow fan 4 life, I'm happy that he is one of the top highlights of every Raw and Smackdown.

^^ Exactly, I'm glad to see someone enjoys the show they choose to watch.

I do see where the OP is coming from, as the 'joke' is over for me as well.

Yes, it is hilarious at times, but I can't say that I am actually interested in what Mizdow does anymore.

However, given the crowd seems to love him, I guess guys like myself and the OP, will have to endure some more of Mizdow as the dumb Stunt double...

I agree to an extent, I am a Mizfit and never really got into Sandow. The first few weeks it was cool, and them being a team is 100% fine by me. But the joke is getting old, maybe if they explained why Sandow is having an identity crisis or progressed the story. It seems like we've been stuck on "hey look, he thinks he's the Miz" for like 2-3 months now. Not that it's a bad joke but we need to move the story along.

The fact they aren't makes me question if Wrestlemania plans are going to be involved. Which I hope isn't the case. But yea they mention on Raw every week that Sandow gets more fans than Miz, so that's obviously the direction the feud will go in. Hopefully they don't give them the tag belts though, no point in having it on a feuding pair, at least to me.

OP, I see your point but I don't think it's that big a deal, they just need to progress a bit. Everything that happened between them recently, could have happened when they got together because there's been no progression

So far, the Tag Team Champion match has been the best thing about Survivor Series. Was nice to see Mizdow get some revenge, while not necessarily breaking up their team...yet. I agree with how they did that, but wish Mizdow got more to do with the match.

I was going to just ignore this and move on but that wouldn't be much fun. Let's take a look at this well thought out post and break it down.

The internet is always filled with people playing monday morning quarterback and being negative about everything on a tv show they choose to watch.

Maybe so but what does that have to do with this thread. I don't see that happening here.

What do you know about character development or the wrestling industry? Am I qualified to go quarterback the Jets because I see them play on Sunday? Is watching Raw enough to make you qualified to develop characters, manage a roster, produce compelling stories and decide who to push?

I'm not applying for a job here. I'm discussing a hobby.

Who are you to say when something is "old" despite the fact millions of people are laughing at it.

I am a registered member of this forum that has his own opinions and likes to discuss wrestling with people.

You are just one of those negative people that will always complain. Today you complain because he is doing this, but you would complain the same if he wasn't.

What do you base that on? Are you familiar with the majority of my posts on this forum? Do you see an overwhelming amount of them filled with complaints? I say that I don't think a mid card comedy character that I once found funny is no longer funny and that makes me a negative person that always complains? Not only that but you assume what my opinion would be in hypothetical situations? Who the hell do you think you are?

At least he is employed and getting TV time.

And I'm happy for him. He gets one of the best reactions from the crowd. Good for him. WWE should run with it while its hot. I just don't get it. Have you laughed at every joke you've ever heard?

Stop watching a show and looking for the negative points. Try actually being entertained by your entertainment instead of looking to be a negative internet fan and you may actually enjoy it more.

I don't look for negative points. I have enjoyed wrestling my whole life. Considering its variety show format it is possible to enjoy the show as a whole but not enjoy certain parts of it. Have you always enjoyed every single segment of every wrestling show you've ever watched? It's ok to say no. It doesn't make you a bad fan.

I'm sure you won't change, but shows are more enjoyable when you focus on positives instead of complaining all the time.

I may or may not change. As I've grown over the years my opinions on certain things have changed so it's possible opinions I have today may change in the future. One thing that has never changed is I always focus more on the positive than the negative. That's why I still watch after 28 years. But I guess you've got me all figured out based on one comment I made about Damien Sandow.

I have been watching since 1991 and I enjoy this character and product ever bit as much today.

And I've been watching since 1986. Are you trying to establish some sort of credibility?

Leave the negativity aside, it doesn't make you cool.

I'm on the internet posting on a wrestling discussion forum and arguing with a faceless stranger. I gave up on being cool a long time ago pal.

Mizdow is over. As in, the crowd is popping for him.

Funny thing, I've been watching a lot of old WWF shows, and Damien's career is a lot like Triple Hs in terms of character. Snobish heel. Goofy/funny babface. I'm sure at some point his popularity causes a riff between him and Miz and he goes solo again elevated even more.

The gimmick is great. It's entertaining as hell. It's over. What's not to like? Over is over.

Watching Sandow do a slingshot somersault into the ring was maybe my second or third biggest pop/mark out of the night. I even rewound the PPV to watch it again. He has way more comedic timing than I used to give him credit for. The miz is a perfectly brilliant heel, and mizdow needs to evolve the gimmick like last week, but I like it right now.

That being said, it has NEVER worked having the face/heel combination on one team. Rock and Sock was the only thing close, and that was operated by possibly the 2nd and 3rd most charismatic wrestlers ever.

We're obvious heading to Miz/Sandow feud with Sandow as the face, something we haven't seen yet. I think the Mizdow thing is what was needed to re-invigorate him and the face turn might help keep things going.

Sandow has deserved a lot better than he's received from the WWE over the last two years. Would be great to see him go over Miz.

I thought it was funny at first too but after three months enough is enough.

My feelings exactly, but events at the Survivor Series give hope to the idea that there actually is a plan in mind. Sandow obviously displeased and shocked Miz by tagging in and gaining the victory; there's no one who can display those emotions like Miz. By finally showing he might have a mind of his own, Damien may yet come out from the shadows (no pun intended) and find his own path again.

I'm just glad the events of the last three months actually seem to be leading somewhere. Like others, I was figuring the whole thing might be dropped with nothing coming out of it for Sandow. Honestly, I wasn't bored by his Intellectual Savior bit, figuring there was still room to run with that gimmick.

I guess the Creative people just can't win, y'know? They read complaints that they carry on some gimmicks too long, while also catching hell from other folks that they didn't give another program enough of a chance. They're damned if they do....and damned if they don't.

Still, Damien Sandow's got the goods; he's been interesting in both roles and has potential to go further. He could use some work in the gym, but the guy plainly knows how to work a match.

Okay, so his first feud will be with Miz. Definitely worth watching.

I can identify with frustration over the repetition and lack of logic but I fail to see where Sandow goes that is better for him. He needs a character, otherwise he is just that guy from Superman II. Yes, a feud with Miz can build, progress, and entertain but why do we care about Damien after that if he doesn't continue to entertain?

I just can't see him doing anything other than just another comedic character after this like wrestling women or talking in grunts (Superman II reference). Let this play and drag out, it is still better than everything else I saw on Raw last night (with the exception of Cena's Footlocker commercial).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back