CZW

Vader

Pre-Show Stalwart
Anyone watch this?

I caught some highlights on Youtube after hearing about it on here. CZW looks like it's on a whole other level beyond ECW and XPW.

I have to say I was pretty impressed with some of the highlights. To me XPW always looked like prop wrestling with these guys just hitting each other whatever objects were out there. There wasn't much to be impressed about besides their willingness to take these big bumps.

CZW seems to have some impressive wrestling as well, especially when it's incorporated with the hardcore aspect.

The lengths some of these guys are willing to go is impressive. They are either crazy or hungry to put themselves through those kind of bumps for such little pay.

One advantage smaller promotions have over WWE is that because they're so much smaller, they can ultimately do and get away with things that WWE would be and, and have been in the past, crucified for in the media. That isn't necessarily a good thing, however, when you look at things.

CZW has found itself a niche market as essentially being ECW's heir apparent. However, because of its emphasis on hardcore wrestling, it's never going to progress to being a bigger promotion. I know that CZW does have more than the hardcore stuff going on but, just as ECW did before it, the hardcore stuff is what it emphasizes when it comes to putting together highlight packages. Back in the late 90s, whenever I'd see an advertisement for an ECW ppv, the same sorts of stuff were shown: guys being put through half a dozen stacked tables, guys being suplexed onto beds of thumbtacks, doing crazing spots like moonsaults from the top of balconies, wrestlers being put through flaming tables, etc. As I said, I know that they do have more than that, just like ECW did, but they have only themselves to blame if they insist that people mistakenly believe that hardcore stuff is bedrock of their company. As I said, just like ECW before them, they emphasize the hardcore and over the top spots in advertising and highlights, so, again, like with ECW, CZW alumni have only themselves to blame when/if someone attacks them for the over the top violence and they try to defend themselves by saying there's more to it than that.

As far as hardcore wrestling goes, it's not my thing really. I enjoy a nice brawl/hardcore match every so often, but once I saw that ECW was essentially a one trick pony that had just the crazy spots and wild blood baths, I lost interest. It's the same with CZW, more so even because I'm older now and have a greater understanding of what this style of wrestling does to the wrestlers doing it than I did when I was 17 or 18. You also don't have to be a particularly good pro wrestler to be a hardcore pro wrestler because it's all about the over the top spots, it's all about the over the top violence without any real degree of storytelling, psychology or characters so much that all the wrestlers start to come off as the same to me.

I think a lot of hardcore wrestlers see it as an example of their heart and dedication, which is all well and good. It's true that it does take a great deal of determination in order to willingly go through some of that. At the same time, look at how many of those wrestlers burn their bodies out in such a short time with little or nothing to show for it except a few moments of glory and a body full of scars. I think some of them are hungry to prove themselves and think that this is a way to do it. I also think that some of them see it as their way to be different because they're not all that skilled and I also think that some of them are just plain crazy and reckless.

The last time I watched on a regular basis was in 2012. The only reason I stopped was to save money, not due to lack of enjoyment.

CZW has always been given a raw deal as being nothing more than blood and guts. It has had plenty of death match wrestling over the years, but many great wrestlers have appeared there as well.

One advantage smaller promotions have over WWE is that because they're so much smaller, they can ultimately do and get away with things that WWE would be and, and have been in the past, crucified for in the media. That isn't necessarily a good thing, however, when you look at things.

CZW has found itself a niche market as essentially being ECW's heir apparent. However, because of its emphasis on hardcore wrestling, it's never going to progress to being a bigger promotion. I know that CZW does have more than the hardcore stuff going on but, just as ECW did before it, the hardcore stuff is what it emphasizes when it comes to putting together highlight packages. Back in the late 90s, whenever I'd see an advertisement for an ECW ppv, the same sorts of stuff were shown: guys being put through half a dozen stacked tables, guys being suplexed onto beds of thumbtacks, doing crazing spots like moonsaults from the top of balconies, wrestlers being put through flaming tables, etc. As I said, I know that they do have more than that, just like ECW did, but they have only themselves to blame if they insist that people mistakenly believe that hardcore stuff is bedrock of their company. As I said, just like ECW before them, they emphasize the hardcore and over the top spots in advertising and highlights, so, again, like with ECW, CZW alumni have only themselves to blame when/if someone attacks them for the over the top violence and they try to defend themselves by saying there's more to it than that.

As far as hardcore wrestling goes, it's not my thing really. I enjoy a nice brawl/hardcore match every so often, but once I saw that ECW was essentially a one trick pony that had just the crazy spots and wild blood baths, I lost interest. It's the same with CZW, more so even because I'm older now and have a greater understanding of what this style of wrestling does to the wrestlers doing it than I did when I was 17 or 18. You also don't have to be a particularly good pro wrestler to be a hardcore pro wrestler because it's all about the over the top spots, it's all about the over the top violence without any real degree of storytelling, psychology or characters so much that all the wrestlers start to come off as the same to me.

I think a lot of hardcore wrestlers see it as an example of their heart and dedication, which is all well and good. It's true that it does take a great deal of determination in order to willingly go through some of that. At the same time, look at how many of those wrestlers burn their bodies out in such a short time with little or nothing to show for it except a few moments of glory and a body full of scars. I think some of them are hungry to prove themselves and think that this is a way to do it. I also think that some of them see it as their way to be different because they're not all that skilled and I also think that some of them are just plain crazy and reckless.

I'll give you that. Some of that stuff like shoving a syringe through both sides of some guys mouth is over the top.

What are their story lines like? It's one thing to have a gritty in-ring product and nothing that corresponds with it outside the ring.

I think great wrestling has a combination of good storylines and in good in-ring action. This is probably why I feel like the Ruthless Aggression era was the best time for the WWE.

Hardcore and Extreme Wrestling, has to be backed up with a lot of heat. Could Disco Inferno believably leap off the balcony onto flaming tables to hit the gobbledy gooker? Probably not. So I ask that to see if the buildup to these matches justifies these kind of spots.

You can appreciate different styles of wrestling. To me it's easy to appreciate guys like Angle, Guerrero, and Benoit because of their well-rounded skill set and marketability/entertainment factor. It's easy to look at guys that just take outrageous bumps and or just hit people with chairs and fluorescent light bulbs and think that guy can't wrestle, and is trying to mask it with his willingness to jack his body up. When I watched some of the highlights from various hardcore promotions you see some guys that are like that. Then I see guys like Sabu, and RVD that were able to pull off creative stunts and add hardcore elements to their already good skillset (RVD dropkicking chairs into people's faces etc.).

Watching the CZW highlights you saw some glorified stunt doubles getting thrown into barbed wire ring ropes, or hit with light bulbs which is whatever. The spots that impressed me the most were their luchadores and high flyers incorporating hardcore wrestling into their already impressive ability to fly. Another spot I saw was a guy giving what looked like an Attitude adjustment from atop a cage, landing with him, through some tables to the ring floor. I saw another with a guy doing something similar with two guys on his back. Those kind of spots would easily surpass the WWE's best highlights.

From what I've seen, even the regular wrestling is terrible. The company is infamous for it's very unaccomplishing and uncoordinated roster, erratic personalities and rather silly gimmicks. Not a fan

I've seen little bits of CZW that I've enjoyed, but the majority of stuff from the promotion I've seen are highlight clips of some of the insane and brutal things the wrestlers in that company have done to each other- some of it is unbelievable, and shouldn't be classed as wrestling, really. Using weed whackers on someone, throwing a person off a house through a table covered in glass, sticking a syringe through somebody's cheek, hanging Zandig using meat hooks in his back...that's too far. Wrestling in rings with broken glass everywhere is just stupid.

There have been alot of very talented wrestlers in CZW and there is often some great matches, the lightweight guys are especially good, but the violence (or ULTRA-VIOLENCE as they call it) is what the promotion is known for. If I remember rightly, they have to hold one of their tournaments (I think it's called the Ultraviolent Tournament of Death) in another state because they aren't allowed legally to hold it in their usual state, crazy!

I like Hardcore wrestling more than most, I enjoy the craziness of the original ECW and some of my favourite matches are bloody wars (Cactus v HHH @ RR2000 being an example of this) but some of the things I've seen in CZW are just over the top stupid. I saw a guy with a huge chunk of his back hanging off, someone getting sidewalk slammed off a house through a flaming table and Sexxxy Eddy with blood squirting from an artery in his arm he'd cut on a bit of glass. Not for me, except when I want to see something shocking,

[YOUTUBE]zNa9ox5ugks[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]hh0DKi57GRM[/YOUTUBE]

I really am amazed no-one's died or at least been paralysed or blinded by some of the idiotic things they do.

From what I've heard it's better garbage wrestling than what's found south of the border. Oh, who am I kidding? Hardcore wrestling is a spectacle I enjoy, from bloodied syringes to barrel drums.

A fan of CZW (don't remember who) once wrote on here that they've somewhat shifted away from the hardcore element. Can a CZ-dub fan confirm this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back