Cruisin' for a Bruisin'

Mustang Sally

Sells seashells by the seashore
(On another Internet forum, I was challenged to write a “girl fight” story. Rather than just doing a punch-for-punch description, I was more interested in the back story. I chose to stage the fight in an era before my time......with a version of myself as the "hero" of the story)

poodle.jpg

Hi, everybody!

My name is Sally Susan Giroux…….but all my friends call me Sally Sue! I’m 18 years old; I live in New Haven, Connecticut and I’m a high school senior at New Haven High School. Today is May 17, 1959 and it’s a really special day!

Everything in the world is boffo nowadays! Alaska just became our 49th state and Hawaii will soon become our 50th! President Eisenhower is doing his usual great job, and next year, Vice President Nixon will be taking his place. John F. Kennedy thinks he’s going to be the next President, but I doubt it. I mean, whoever heard of John F. Kennedy?

Everyone is twirling their hula-hoops and tossing Frisbees! The Russians even have a Sputnik satellite orbiting the Earth. Gee whillikers, what an exciting time to be alive!

And why is this day special for me?

Because I’m going to have my first date today! That’s right; Momma has finally agreed to let me go out with Freddy, the coolest boy in school. Rama lama ding dong!

And, can you believe it…. it’s a car date! He’s got a ’49 Hudson, a sturdy, wholesome, ground-gripping vehicle. I’m so excited I could just burst!

I’m going to dress my best today, with my poodle skirt, middy blouse, bobby sox and saddle shoes. I’ve got blonde hair that I keep with a bow. I wanted to cut it shorter, but Momma says a woman’s hair is her crowning glory and that I have to keep it long until I’m 21.

Freddy, my date, is the cat’s meow. All the girls say so. In fact, my best friends Babs and Blanche are helping me get ready.

“Sure, Freddy is the living end,” said Babs, “but can’t you dress a little more provocatively for your first date

“Really, Sally Sue,” added Blanche. “Freddy is the ginchiest. Don’t you think you look a little too goody-goody for him

“Oh, come on, “I answered, “Freddy is a wholesome guy and likes me for myself, not for the way I dress

Babs and Blanche looked at each other.

“He’s still a guy, Sally Sue,” said Blanche. “You know what he likes, don’t you

“No, what?” I asked.

“Well, jeez, Sally Sue” exclaimed Blanche. “Everyone who’s anyone knows he likes to watch girls fight

“Fight?” I cried, growing alarmed. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“C’mon, Sally Sue, you know what it means. He likes to watch girls duke it out, get it on, engage in a punch-fest……you know, catfight!”

I sniffed. “Oh come now, Babs. I don’t believe that a good girl should be fighting. Momma would skin me alive if she ever caught me doing that. I mean……golly! Where‘s the dignity in a girl fighting?“

“Dignity-shmignity,” scoffed Babs. “With a guy like Freddy, you’ve got to give a little something. He’s so cool! Whenever I look at him, I get an image of Duane Eddy playing “Rebel Rouser” on that bitchin’ guitar of his.”

“Babs!” I wailed. “Don’t use curse words or you won’t get into heaven. Besides, I’m not ready to have s-x with him.”

“Who said anything about sex?” exclaimed Blanche. “We’re only talking about letting him watch you clean some girl’s clock. Come on, Sally Sue. It’s bad enough your poodle skirt is practically covering your ankles. Don’t be a complete square.”

“I can’t believe you girls. Freddy isn’t like that. He isn’t taking me out to watch me fight, for heaven’s sake. This is 1959! I’m going out with him today and we’re going to have some clean, wholesome fun……and that’s all. He says he’s taking me to the malt shop!”

Babs and Blanche exchanged glances.

“Well, at least put on some make-up.” said Babs.

“Can’t do it,” I replied. “Momma says only heathens wear it.”

“Oh, fudge,” cried Blanche, throwing up her hands. “Do me a favor and take some of my lipstick with you.”

I was getting uneasy just hearing this kind of talk, so I took the lipstick and stuffed it into my Bobby Rydell pencil case. (Someone once gave me a Fabian pencil case, but I consider him too racy and don’t carry it around with me).

Soon after Babs and Blanche left, I heard the beep of a car horn. Freddy was here! I bounded out of the house…. then stopped in surprise when I saw what he was driving.

“What’s buzzin’, cousin
!” Freddy called out.

“Freddy, this isn’t your ’49 Hudson. What on earth are you driving?”

“It’s a ’57 Chevy Impala.” exclaimed Freddy. “ I got it at the auto auction last week. Ain’t it the most? Ain’t it a boss set of wheels?”

I eyed it with disapproval. I was glad Momma wasn’t here, because she would see the car as a “devil’s machine” that proper young ladies must not ride in. But then I watched Freddy get out of the car and walk toward me, and suddenly the only thing I saw was him. He looked so cool in his pale blue windbreaker, pegged jeans and black t-shirt. His hair was slicked back, with one strand falling fetchingly over his forehead. He had a pack of cigarettes rolled into the sleeve of his t-shirt and I was sure glad Momma wasn’t here to see that! As he got close, I noticed he smelled of Aqua Velva and Brylcreem (a little dab will do ya!), and my uneasiness melted away in a rush of excitement.

He saw that he was getting to me and said; “Let’s bolt, baby-roo

We got in the car and drove to the local park, less than a mile from my house. I had never been there before because Momma felt that no good could come from being at a place like that. But, hey! I’m 18 now and on my first date! I can go there if I want to. Oh golly, am I treacherous? I guess I am!

We got out of the car and took a walk by the pond, and I could not believe what I was seeing. Girls and boys kissing! Girls and boys holding hands! I mean, in public where God and everyone could see them doing it!

Freddy bought two chocolate malts at the refreshment stand and suggested we drink them by his devil’s machine….I mean, his Chevy. As we stood by the car, Freddy’s eyes seemed to be wandering around the park.

“What are you looking for, Freddy?” I asked.

“Nothin’ babe. “he answered. “No sweat. Negative perspiration

But his eyes kept roaming, as if searching for someone. I was about to ask him again what was up when he said:

“You really send me, Sally Sue. Howzabout a little kiss?”

I was horrified. “No, Freddy. I’m not kissing anyone until I marry them.”

“But you’re so pretty and everything, Sally Sue. You know you got a classy chassis. Let’s do the backseat bop.”

“No, Freddy. I’m can’t kiss you because I’m not ready to have a baby.”

He rolled his eyes at that, but replied. “Yeah, yeah, okay. Don’t have a cow, Sally Sue. Well, let me ask you this…..how do you feel about fights between girls?“

Thinking that Babs and Blanche knew more than I gave them credit for, I said, “I don’t approve. A proper young lady doesn’t get into fights.”

Freddy shook his head disgustedly and made a gesture that suggested he was going to walk away from me. Just before he started to move, though, he saw something behind me and a wicked grin appeared on his face.

“Well, well, well.” exclaimed Freddy. “About time youse got your ass here, Lisa."

Turning around to see who Freddy was talking to, I saw Lisa Bolt facing us, a big smile on her face. I knew of Lisa by reputation…..and I didn’t care for what I knew.

She was the town “bad girl.” The girl who dated the boys with the worst reputations…..the boys whom good girls stayed away from. Lisa’s the girl who wears the tightest dresses, sheerest nylons and most dramatic make-up. She looked cool and beautiful……she also looked ****ty and dangerous. Anything you had heard about Lisa was probably true.

And one other thing: Lisa Bolt was the girl no one wanted to fight. She got into fist fights with other girls all the time……and word was she had never lost. Her fame as a fighter was known all over town. She got what she wanted by using her fists. I knew her slightly from school but had always stayed out of her way.

Now, seeing her look at me with contempt in her eyes and a nasty smirk on her face, I suddenly knew why Freddy had asked me out. In my heart of hearts, I had wondered why the coolest guy in town would be interested in me; the good girl who had never before been on a date. I was foolish enough to think he cared about me for myself, but I realized now I should have known better.

As if reading my thoughts as Lisa Bolt and I stared at one another, Freddy said:

“Don’t get me wrong, Sally Sue. I am interested in youse. You’re the kind of broad who don’t realize how much potential youse got. And I’ll tell ya what, baby-cakes. If youse can beat up Lisa Bolt……..you’ll be my girl. That’s the deal.”

“What kind of deal is that?” I asked. “She’s known far and wide as a great fighter. What chance would I have even if I knew how to fight?”

Freddy shrugged, an evil smile on his lips.

“And what happens if I can’t beat her, Freddy?”

“Then you’ll be hurtin’ for certain.” snorted Freddy. “Lisa’ll kick the livin’ shit out of you.”

So, there it was. I think I’ve learned more about life in the last two minutes than the sum total of what I had learned in the 18 years before that. But, the good lord knows, I’m not fighting anyone, much less the toughest girl in town. No boy is worth getting slaughtered over, especially since it had been spelled out that losing would mean I don’t get the guy, anyway. What was I doing with this greaser, anyway? What a fool I’ve been! Only one way to get out of this now.

Pivoting quickly on my saddle shoes, I began running away from the two of them. I was terrified at the idea of being in a fight…..and my fear carried me. My sudden movement startled them both, and I heard Freddy’s anguished cry:

“Come back here, Sally Sue! You’re cruisin’ for a bruisin’!”

I could hear the wounded tone in his voice and, despite my terror, felt a sense of pride that I had outwitted them both. I turned my head as I ran and saw that Freddy had been shocked and caught totally by surprise; he hadn’t moved from his spot leaning against the car. Lisa was quicker and began to give chase, but I figured she couldn’t outrun me while wearing that tight skirt and high heels.

I turned my head forward again and felt a sense of exhilaration as I ran to freedom……only to be shocked and dismayed when Lisa caught me from behind, grabbing my hair and yanking me backwards with such force that the back of my head smacked against the hard sidewalk.

I tried to get up. Dazed, my unfocused eyes looked up at Lisa, who stood over me with an evil grin on her face.

“I’m gonna put you in orbit, Sally Sue.” she intoned, softly and confidently. "You better run."

I took that as an invitation to get up, but when I tried, she kicked me in the chest with the point of her high-heeled shoe. The sharp pain caused my lips to quiver and her smile to widen at the sight.

“Go ahead.” Lisa warned. “If you even try to get up, I’m gonna give you a knuckle sandwich.”

Now I was confused as to what she expected me to do. Did she want me to fight or lie still? Either way, I knew I was in trouble, so I tried to rise as fast as I could and make another run for it. For a moment, I thought I was going to make it, but as I gained my feet, Lisa punched the back of my head, using my own forward motion to push me brutally ahead, skidding face-first to the pavement. The impact with the ground was so hard, my saddle shoes flew off.

I had no idea what to do, but Lisa didn’t leave me much time to wonder about it. Showing great strength, she lifted me by the back buckle of my poodle skirt, hoisting me to my feet and turning me around to face her.

I knew I had to try and defend myself, but I’d never been in a fight in my life. I’ve never even pushed anyone, or tried to inflict my will on someone using physical means. To do that would have brought Momma’s wrath down on me and the thought of that had always been enough to drive any aggressive thoughts from my head.

But even if I had some idea how to proceed, Lisa didn’t give me a chance to do it. With us facing each other, Lisa drove her fists in piston-like fashion into my stomach, over and over, driving the air from my lungs as she beat me back toward Freddy’s car. When my back came in contact with the side door, she grabbed me by the shoulders and started thrusting me back and forth, slamming my tortured body against the unyielding metal. Seeing I was about to collapse, Lisa drew back her fist and punched me between the eyes, driving me to my knees. She had opened a cut between my eyebrows and the red liquid mixed with my tears made it seem as if I was crying blood.

Lisa grabbed a high heel from her foot and whipped me across the face with it, even as she simultaneously yanked me to my feet. Her physical strength was incredible. Using her own body to keep mine erect, she continued smacking me in the face with her shoe until finally allowing me to fall in a heap at her feet.

As I sobbed in pain and humiliation, I heard Lisa say to Freddy:

“You must really dig me, huh, Freddy? I mean, when you said I’d be your girl if I beat up some bimbo, I never thought you’d be feedin’ me someone as wimpy as Sally Sue. Shit, man, I got it made in the shade! This bitch ain’t no competition for me.”

“Hey, no sweat, babe.” answered Freddy. “Yeah, like I knowed Sally Sue’d be no problem for you, Lisa. Still, it’s one-on-one, y’know? A fair fuckin’ fight. She had as good a chance as you did. Am I right or am I right? I mean, shit, it ain’t your fault she’s a fuckin’ pussy!”

The two of them shared a laugh that hurt my heart. As I lie on the ground, shame and regret washed over me in waves. Why had Freddy set me up for a beating like this? If he wanted Lisa so badly, he could have just taken her and not bothered with me.

Then, my thought echoed back: Not bother with me? Not bother with me?

Why in the name of heaven shouldn’t someone want to bother with me? Doesn’t being good and kind to people all my life count for something? I’m 18 years old and on the first date of my life……..and all I get for it is the guy who’s dating me and the ****tiest girl in town standing there, laughing at me?

What in heaven’s name?

What the hell?

What the FUCK?

Suddenly, I saw my life as it is now……and how it would be for the rest of my days if I didn’t do something to change it.

I was subordinate to people; even people who treated me kindly, like Babs and Blanche. Yes, they were my friends, but generally, we did the things they liked to do, not what I liked. They were never mean to me, true……but, to a degree, they bossed me around and had gotten used to doing it. Other people treated me the same way; I was reticent, I was shy. I was used to putting myself second.

Now, with two bullies standing over me, I knew my life had to change…..and that no one was going to change it for me. Slowly, I stood up, ignoring the pain of the beating I had suffered. Waves of emotion wracked my body and mind.

Freddy saw me first. He never expected me to rise…. the same way he never expected me to stand up to Lisa in the first place. His eyes were confused as he mumbled:

“What?.....What’s goin’ on? Lisa, what the fuck is she……..”

It was as far as he got. I took a swift step toward him and rammed my left knee into his groin as viciously as I could. He never expected it…..certainly not from me…..and he fell back against his car, holding his crotch in agony. With a clear shot at his head, I drew back my right hand, curled it into a fist……and delivered.

It was the first punch I had ever thrown and it landed flush on his jaw. The sum of all the repressed feelings of my life went into the punch as it crashed into his chin. His eyes crossed, then went glassy as he went down on his backside. He lay there, looking up at me with unfocused eyes and a look of terror behind them. His lips moved in soundless confusion.

I turned to Lisa Bolt, who was a study in contradiction. Her fighting will was still ratcheted up to maximum; you could see she knew her fighting wasn’t over for the day...... and she welcomed it. Yet, she had enough animal instinct to sense the change in the air…..the change in me.

Without preamble, she and I went at it. Our punches thudded against each other’s bodies, our feet kicked and scraped whatever target they could find. Our bodies smashed together and grinded against each other as we both sought to gain the advantage. I could barely feel what she was throwing at me; I knew she was doing damage but the effects wouldn’t be felt until later. It was body on body, neither of us willing to yield an inch.

Once, she decked me with a punch I never saw coming; I felt dust kicked up from the ground getting in my nose…..but a second later, I was on my feet, hurling my new-found fury at the town’s toughest girl. I can’t even say how long we went at each other; it was timeless......it was eternal.

My attack lacked coherent tactics while she used her experience to counter. Yet, my will and motivation were stronger and as she began to give ground and move backward, her determination started to waver. When Lisa finally began to falter, I could see the resignation register in her eyes even as she continued to throw everything she had at me. It was if her brain knew she was losing even as her body refused to accept it. Meanwhile, I had become an unstoppable force.

I knocked her down with a thudding punch…..she rose. I did it again, and she rose more slowly, her legs shaking as she struggled to her feet. Still, her fighting heart forced her to come back for more. Hard girl. Cool girl.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Freddy getting to his feet and watching us, spellbound, needing to lean against his car to stay upright. I could only imagine what he was thinking about me now.

Turning back to Lisa Bolt, I decked her for the final time with an uppercut; a punch I never knew I had in me until it was rocketing up toward her chin. When it hit, her head snapped back and eyes rolled up in her head as her legs collapsed under her. She was finished…..but I wasn’t. Kneeling, I stripped a nylon from her leg and, moving behind her, wrapped it around her neck to strangle her. I saw Freddy start to move toward us, intending to break it up before I could kill her……. but I turned to him, baring my teeth in a primal warning to stay away. Terrified by my countenance, he backed up, instinctively raising his hands as if to ward me off, even though I was still perched behind Lisa.

Watching her eyelids flutter into unconsciousness as I choked her with her own nylon, I finally felt satisfied and vindicated. I let her drop to the sidewalk. She lie on her back, hopelessly defeated. I stood up, looking at Freddy contemptuously, fully intending to walk away and never speak to him again.

But the fear and reverence with which he was regarding me changed my mind. After all, if the essence of my entire life had altered in this brief period of time, I decided to make the changes complete. I turned to him and said:

“Pick up my saddle shoes, Freddy.”

Meekly, he did….and as I looked in his eyes, he dropped them, afraid to look directly at me. As he waited for me to give further instructions, I understood the true magnitude of the changes in me. Bullies usually back down when confronted with superior force. Freddy was now deathly afraid of me and I intended to make use of his fear to get what I wanted.

“Follow me home, Freddy. Carry my shoes and follow exactly five steps behind me as I walk. If I stop…..you stop. Keep your distance from me, you sniveling worm.”

“Yes, Sally Sue.” whined Freddy. “I’ll stay five paces behind. I’ll do whatever you tell me to.”

“Shut up, fuckwad!” I shouted, aware even as I spoke that it was the first time in my life I had ever spoken the “f” word aloud. Even as I said it, I giggled out loud at my audacity for having done so. I am treacherous. Yes, I am!

Hearing me giggle, Freddy again dropped his eyes and followed at a respectful distance behind me……a true gesture of submission and humiliation. I moved slowly and deliberately to make this feeling of dominance last as long as possible. It was an intoxicating feeling.....one I had never known before.

As I walked home in my bobby sox, with my new slave trailing behind me, I saw Babs and Blanche watching me approach, looking goggle-eyed at what they were seeing. Struck dumb at the sight, Babs babbled and Blanche blanched.

I watched them as I grew near. I didn’t feel the need to speak…..and certainly didn’t feel the need to drop my eyes as I always had done in their presence….or in anyone’s presence. Those days were through.

Instead, I looked triumphantly at them…..and seeing Freddy following me like a lamb being led to slaughter, Babs and Blanche dropped their eyes.

My heart sang: "A-WOP-BOBBA-LOO-A-A-WOP-BAM-BOOM !!"

Yes, there were going to be some changes around here. In fact, they had already begun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back