Cover Song Discussion Thread

..I love covers but I also love the original one's. It's just that some of the covers bring something different to the song that makes it more catchy.. Well anyways here is my list... :p

Use Somebody - Hayley Williams (Kings of Leon)
Love Song - 311 (The Cure)
Fuck You - Eliza Doolittle (Cee Lo)
No Ordinary Love - Deftones (Sade)
Heartless - The Fray (Kanye West)

;)

Best cover ever? Cant believe I didnt think of this earlier but it's definitely Whiskey In The Jar by Metallica
The song was originally by The Dubliners and then it was redone by Thin Lizzy, and Metallica's is a cover of the Thin Lizzy version. Damn epic song, great energy, great story. So good it gives me chills.

[YOUTUBE]OIh3nO6-V_A[/YOUTUBE]

In all honesty, I believe that one of the best covers that I have heard must be Godhead's version of Elenor Rigby. Now this might just be by pure bias, seeing as how I was a huge fan of the beatles and have always been a big fan of Industrial metal. But In my opinion this version of the song really brings out the dark side of the song that is obviously present in the lyrics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li580259YwU

There's a few that come to my mind.
One is Lacuna Coil doing Enjoy the Silence (by Depeche Mode). I noticed someone else put it on here being done by another artist.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx58hXh4pVA

Another is Godsmack doing Black Sabbath's "Sweet Leaf"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L457bTZDRss

The last one is one I heard one my Pandora radio that surprised me and that's Fallout Boy doing "Beat it"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk8Pb17pcQI

Was wondering how you get the video pictures to appears so people can watch them here rather then linking to Youtube.

Even though the film is littered with covers, Sucker Punch had the lead actress (Emily Browning) sing "Asleep" by the Smiths, and it came out incredible.

I was watching a programme last night and this version of With or Without You came on, absolutely stunning. I'm not a big U2 fan, but I do have a special place for WOWY, so to hear a stripped down version of it was nice and these guys are mega talented.

White Wedding by the Murderdolls

[YOUTUBE]a8d-Kx4S9OE&ob=av2e[/YOUTUBE]

Originally done by Billy Idol (and it to is a great song) I feel the Murderdolls version has a bit more intensity which kinda suit the lyrical content of the song a bit better than Idol's more laid back version.

ANYTHING that Karmin covers. she is excellent, and most of the time, her covers are better than the original. she covered "written in the stars" by tinie tempah, "look at me now" by chris brown, "6 foot 7 foot" by lil wayne, "lighters'' by eminem and bruno mars, and so much more. anyone who hasn't heard of her should really check her out. at first when i saw her, I thought that whatever song she was about to do would be a complete and epic failure, but i was proved wrong.

I'm in an electronic mood tonight so I figured I's share my favorite cover from the Electronic Genre. That song is They're coming to take me away by NeuroticFish of the Album Gelb. IT was originally done by Napoleon XIV and while I think he does an alright job even if it's a little slow for me I love the version NeuroticFish does. It's fast enough for me, the Electronic aspect is awesome and it just has that insane vibe that a song like this needs

[youtube]1d0QND_24DE[/youtube][youtube]hnzHtm1jhL4[/youtube]​

Here they both are you be the judge. i however love the cover a lot more than the original and it's my favorite from this genre of music

Led Zeppelin's version of "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You". Probably my favorite song ever.

[YOUTUBE]HFIORuvNa9I[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]quZ5rE8ujcA[/YOUTUBE]

The Meat Puppets' version is faster and a little more rock-ish. If you haven't heard it, it's worth a listen just to see how it sounds. But the slower pace that Nirvana put on this unplugged version just seems to make it work more for me. Kurt's rough voice, the acoustic guitars, just sounds right.

I recently heard this cover of Wicked Game by Chris Isaak on an ad for an English TV show no less. I just had to search youtube after i heard it to find out who covered it and i can't say ive ever heard of Bassboosa before.
[YOUTUBE]YPrQ3xMEntQ[/YOUTUBE]

Despite this song being covered by artists such as Corey Taylor, Bon Jovi, R.E.M, 3 Days Grace and HIM this cover blows them all out of the water in my opinion. The guitar playing is superb and the lead singer is brilliant here. Safe to say i got goosebumps the first time i heard this song. Certainly in my opinion it's one of those cases where the cover is better then the original.

Children of Bodom's version of "Party All The Time" by Eddie Murphy.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrX2DHysKOg[/YOUTUBE]

I had a weird day today. I heard the original and 2 cover versions today and have had bits of each version going round my head all day. So what song has had my head spinning?
Never been that big on The Smiths despite my dad, older sister and best friend all being keen fans of theirs, but credit where credit is due, Morrissey can write some decent stuff. It's a nice short song that encapsulates feelings everyone goes through. So onto cover number 1:
This was used in an advert for the British shop John Lewis' Christmas campaign that centres on a kid awaiting on the big day to arrive, with the swerve being that he's been anticipating the reaction from his parents for the stuff he gets them. Very mushy stuff, but the song is pretty good at expanding the original.

Cover version 2:
This is the version I have on my MP3 and I absolutely love it. Chino doesn't need to do much at all with the singing part, but the familiar crashing drums and heavier guitar stuff common with Deftones are slightly taken down a notch to match the tone and works a treat.

I've been listening to the new punk goes pop 4 album and A Skylit Drive's version of Eminem's "Love the Way You Lie" has been on of my favorites [[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcLb2wWKulo&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/YOUTUBE]

I've been listening to seemingly unhealthy amounts of Johnny Cash lately, but I'm not going to post a video from him...In fact, I'll post a video covering him, by the one band that always seems to do him justice: Social Distortion.

[YOUTUBE]W61l6Y_IGT0[/YOUTUBE]​

This song is absolutely iconic, and the cover is so good, that had it been released by them first, it still would be an all-time great. They also did a solid cover of "Wanted Man", but the only audio I can find on YouTube is from a small live performance, with no video, so it makes it rough to listen to...

My all-time favorite cover bank is the punk rock all-star group, Me First and the Gimme Gimmes:

Kermit The Frog's favorite song, Rainbow Connection

Man, there are so many awesome ones. Too many to post.

I love me some punk rock covers, and here are a few of my favorites.

[YOUTUBE]OcspFju0tKc[/YOUTUBE]

Love Annie's song by John Denver, but feel like a wuss every time a tear comes to your eye because it's fucking beautiful? Well here's a solid punk rock cover that will have you bobbing your head with nice dry eyes. I think Me First and the Gimme Gimmes put a little extra effort into this track, as one of their signatures is being kind of lackadaisical about the quality of their songs, often forgiving sour notes or ending their songs with ridiculous attempts at things they aren't capable of as musicians. Overall, an awesome cover of a beautiful song.

[YOUTUBE]QHpU0ZfXZ_g[/YOUTUBE]

A one hit wonder covered by a no-hit (unless you count numerous awesome ska songs) wonder, this is just an all around great outing by Reel Big Fish, and is often considered to be one of their best songs in general. Their horns have an unbelievably rich sound to them, and if you can forgive their goofiness (which is a huge part of ska), I'm sure you can find this extremely enjoyable.

[YOUTUBE]zvMFm5nKeUc[/YOUTUBE]

I don't know if The Lemonheads have any other songs even half as noteworthy as this, but this is a very good rock cover of the normally melodic Mrs. Robinson. There's not much to say, as this is a pretty straightforward song and they really didn't do too much besides make it more rock and roll and less folky.

BONUS

[YOUTUBE]C6wTKLFoWxs[/YOUTUBE]

I'm not a huge fan of this one, but I find it hilarious that someone covered it. The Vandals are a bad band with a few good songs, but for the most part they're just really annoying. This is an example of them being obnoxious, but it's pretty amusing.

I'm not entirely sure if it has been posted, but Godsmack recently released their cover of "Rocky Mountain Way" and damn is it good.

Other good covers are "Turn the Page" by Metallica, "Hurt" by Johhny Cash", and "Smooth Criminal" by Alien Ant Farm.

[YOUTUBE]KALQnBzKqVw[/YOUTUBE]

A masterful cover from "The Chief" Noel Gallagher. Taken from his set at the Teenage Cancer Trust concert at the Royal Albert Hall in London, Noel covers The Smiths' classic track and makes it arguably better.

Now, I am biased being a MASSIVE Oasis fan, but I really do love Noel's version of this. It's slower than the original and sung in a slightly different way, but I think he nails it spot on. Beautiful

[youtube]64xah1qYBYI[/youtube]

I've seen a few covers of Take On Me posted in this thread, so I had to post this one. I don't know if I would consider this better than the original or not, but the techno sound & auto-tune help make it sound just as good. It's gotten a lot of shit from music critics, but the fact this topped the charts begs to differ with their opinions.

[youtube]0PG6qsZKsnw[/youtube]

The original by Beck is alright although the chorus (on Beck's version) is bloody painful to listen to, but Pink's voice goes a lot better with this.

[youtube]LfagoEUenK4[/youtube]

Anyone who has seen Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me might remember this song. This version of Just The Two Of Us is just beautiful, it's a tribute to his son, Trey. I'm not a father but even I get a little emotional whenever I listen to this, the lyrics are sweet and the beat is smooth. When I do become a father, I plan on playing this for my child and listening to it with him/her.

[youtube]rxuodY-c0yU[/youtube]

Not a fan of P.Diddy, but I am a fan of hip-hop/rap music and Kashmir and I just love this combination, it sounds incredible. This gets me hyped up & pumped everytime I hear a UFC fighter coming out to this (does Big Nog currently use this?) or on a fan-made tribute video.

[YOUTUBE]9GuS2pE6xl4[/YOUTUBE]

Listened to the Black Veil Brides version before Billy Idol's. While Idol's is more laid back with a bit more swagger, I prefer BVB's version because it has a bit more power with a little bit of swagger as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back