Could WWE benefit from A Hulk Hogan return?

Borck Lesnar

Dark Match Winner
Hulk Hogan remains a free agent following the expiration of his contract with TNA Wrestling last month and the two parties being unable to reach a new agreement. This afternoon on Facebook, the legendary grappler teased a possible return to WWE by publishing the photo below of himself clutching a replica copy of the WWE Championship. His caption reads, "Thinkin, thinkin, thinkin. HH."
It was reported last week by PWInsider.com that the 60-year-old has been "training like a mad man" in hopes of wrestling again for WWE.

Hogan returning to the promotion could hinge on Triple H, who is leaving the door open for his return to the sports-entertainment organization. The six-time WWE Champion told the Associated Press earlier this month that he was warmly received by Vince McMahon's son-in-law at a recent charity function.

"He just welcomed me with open arms. He said if ever I decide I get the itch to come back home," the door's open," Hogan stated.

Hulk Hogan

Could wwe benefit from a Hulk Hogan return? where would Hulk be if he goes to the wwe?

He'd be bolstering up the WrestleMania PPV buys with a one-off match against a guy like Damien Sandow, but little else. I think anything more with Hogan would be a train wreck waiting to happen.

Yes. It would be a good boost for WM 30 and would pop the buyrate a little. Nothing drastic though. More importantly it would feel right. Hogan deserves to go out with a big spectacle at WM. If Flair got the epic sendoff then Hogan certainly should.

It should be a match if he can work one, even if it's just a tag match.

He would be good for WWE in the short term. The novelty of seeing Hulk Hogan back on WWE programming would pop a rating for a few weeks. The same novelty of Hogan being on a WWE ppv in some fashion could also lead to an increase in buys for that show. In the long run, however, Hogan wouldn't be of any benefit to WWE.

The days of Hulk Hogan being this huge draw in pro wrestling are over, a long time over in fact. TNA was hoping that Hogan's star power & past glories would ultimately help lead to an increase in their audience and overall growth of the company. It didn't happen. Hogan drew well for TNA for the first month he was there, but then the ratings went back to normal. He'd also help to pop a slight rating if he made a hyped return after being off television for a month or so. Other than that, it was business as usual until viewers started tuning out the past few years.

Generally speaking, TNA made Hulk Hogan the centerpiece of what was going on and it simply didn't pay off. Reportedly, WWE made Hogan a much lower money offer than TNA did once his deal with TNA was over. That suggests that WWE is interested in Hogan, but their level of interest is far less than what Hogan may have hoped. IF, IF, IF Hogan makes a WWE return, then I'd imagine it'll be on MUCH different terms than what he was hoping for. I don't believe he'd get the huge salary he probably wants, I doubt that he'll be someone that's front & center of all the major goings on and he almost certainly won't be a centerpiece of WWE as he was in TNA. There's no logical justification for any of it because he's no longer a draw and he's a 60 year old wrestler who physically wrestle anymore. I think he's milked the nostalgia gravy train almost dry at this point, at least when it comes to WWE.

He'd be bolstering up the WrestleMania PPV buys with a one-off match against a guy like Damien Sandow, but little else. I think anything more with Hogan would be a train wreck waiting to happen.

Damien Sandow? Are you serious? :lmao:

Hogan just needs to sign a Legends contract with WWE and be done with it. He can appear a couple times a year when they're doing special shows or when WWE comes around his hometown. If they want to put him in a short program where he doesn't wrestle, but maybe backs someone for WM30, then that will be a nice rub for an up and coming face. After that though, I see no other reason for him to be around regularly.

There is always the chance they could put him in a "GM" role, but that would be too reminiscent of his days in TNA.

There are options like john cena vs hogan, punk vs hogan. NOPE. you pair him with Damiem Sandow??? :confused:

Quote HHH last weeks promo, he would only come back to wrestle ONLY against STARS, not some nobody who's a C+ or B+ players.

Hogan has nothing to provide to WWE. I am a bit of a TNA fan and I know that even when he wasn't wrestling he kept needing to have surgery when he was in TNA. He is walking wounded or he is always getting injured therefore I don't think he should compete and I think unless he is competing he has no value to WWE so I would save the money and give it to someone who can put on a good match.

I never use this term because personally I think its absouletly stupid, but first for everything.

The tna "fanboys" (god i wanna puke after saying that) believed that when hulk joined tna that it was the beginning of a new war of ratings. well it wasnt, tna is on life support, and the "f words" are putting the blame on hulk. well i think thats like saying "i didnt get the job because so and so talked shit about me." no its because tna just isnt and sadly never will be there.

Now as for if hulk can actually do a match. well i for one do not have a phd, as im guessing all of us dont. hulk knows his back. his knees. do i? no. do i have the arms and body of hulk? no. do any of you? if you did you wouldnt be bitching about wrestling on forums. hulk is the icon. like it or not. he brought a laughed at industry and made it cool. there is no doubt in my mind that hulk could pull one more match out.

Now do i want him winning one more title? fuck no! Im one of the biggest hulkamaniacs ever, but i do have a brain. he doesnt need a title. when bret won the u.s. title i laughed, and im a huge hitman fan, (and its BRET, not BRETT ffs.)

Bottom line, why not have one last hulk match, let him main event the event he started, give him his send off, who would that hurt? fuck taker is in worse shape then hulk, he farts and blows his back out for god sakes, yet everyone cums at the idea of him vs sting?

He would be good for WWE in the short term. The novelty of seeing Hulk Hogan back on WWE programming would pop a rating for a few weeks. The same novelty of Hogan being on a WWE ppv in some fashion could also lead to an increase in buys for that show. In the long run, however, Hogan wouldn't be of any benefit to WWE.

The days of Hulk Hogan being this huge draw in pro wrestling are over, a long time over in fact. TNA was hoping that Hogan's star power & past glories would ultimately help lead to an increase in their audience and overall growth of the company. It didn't happen. Hogan drew well for TNA for the first month he was there, but then the ratings went back to normal. He'd also help to pop a slight rating if he made a hyped return after being off television for a month or so. Other than that, it was business as usual until viewers started tuning out the past few years.

Generally speaking, TNA made Hulk Hogan the centerpiece of what was going on and it simply didn't pay off. Reportedly, WWE made Hogan a much lower money offer than TNA did once his deal with TNA was over. That suggests that WWE is interested in Hogan, but their level of interest is far less than what Hogan may have hoped. IF, IF, IF Hogan makes a WWE return, then I'd imagine it'll be on MUCH different terms than what he was hoping for. I don't believe he'd get the huge salary he probably wants, I doubt that he'll be someone that's front & center of all the major goings on and he almost certainly won't be a centerpiece of WWE as he was in TNA. There's no logical justification for any of it because he's no longer a draw and he's a 60 year old wrestler who physically wrestle anymore. I think he's milked the nostalgia gravy train almost dry at this point, at least when it comes to WWE.

George Clooney is probably one of the biggest movie stars around. Now if he appeared in an indy movie do you think that people would run to see it? no, because nobody would know it exists. nobody really knows about tna, hell spike has been dropped from a lot of cable providers. ric flair tried to go to roh and that did fuck all cuz other then hardcore fans, nobody knows what the fuck roh is.

If Hulk returns they should have him feud with someone who would benefit from losing to him.

It doesn't matter how big a feud against Cena, Bryan, or Punk will be because Hulk will want to win. Everyone can avoid the politicking and backstage drama about who goes over by having Hulk work with newer talent.

I would say Kofi, Heath Slater, or Wade Barrett would be the best choices. Kofi and Barrett are doing nothing this way losing to a big name might actually be the last nudge they need to get over. And a year down the line, they will be the big deal main eventers we've been waiting for.

Slater has already worked a program with Legends and he might as well go against the biggest Legend out there.

I know Hulk's back issues might pose a concern for the leg drop finish but they can always put over his finisher from Japan. THE AX BOMBER!

If it takes 3 ax bombers to put down Slater, he's a made man in my book. This way the leg drop and Hulk's back aren't weakened.

Oi, I think the WWE is the only company big enough to put Hogan in his place.

That's what's best for Hogan, the WWE, and TNA.

The WWE is the only place Hogan can be entertaining. They're the only company that knows what to do with him.

TNA can get that cancer out of there.

Every one wins.

Yes. It would be a good boost for WM 30 and would pop the buyrate a little. Nothing drastic though. More importantly it would feel right. Hogan deserves to go out with a big spectacle at WM. If Flair got the epic sendoff then Hogan certainly should.

It should be a match if he can work one, even if it's just a tag match.

Flair got the epic send off because of what he meant to both the fans and the other wrestlers, Hogan has never commanded the same level of adulation from the other wrestlers that Flair did.

Could WWE benefit from Hogan's return...depends. He cant wrestle, no matter how many weights he lifts he can barely move and cant take bumps, what kind of matches could he do. Im sure he could the occasional in ring run in where the action is brief and extremely limited but Hogan getting in the ring with anyone other than Vince McMahon would be a disaster (and that one has already been done).

Plus, who benefits from beating him ? HHH and Taker certainly don't need it, neither does Cena. I don't think it would be anything more than a blip on the radar for CM Punk. None of the younger guys would get anything because the audience still wont accept them as something special just because they beat Hogan now (when he's barely mobile), plus older fans wont watch because they wont want to see a Fav like Hogan humbled by someone they don't feel is in his league.

Now if there was a way to use Hogan on camera but not in the ring then yes, his presence would help, at the very least it wont hurt. Plus, Hogan back means a whole new line of merchandise WWE can market. In that sense it would help business, but the days of Hogan filling arenas and wrestling main events are over.

Fact is, it's the same now for Flair and Austin. Austin cant wrestle due to injury and hasn't for several years, Flair can still take bumps but at his age he simply cant go in the ring. Both are very charismatic, great promo guys, and have a connection to multiple generations of fans...On camera work in a good storyline, preferably working alongside someone who could use the elevation, would benefit WWE, but like with Hogan, those two aren't main eventing your next PPV, they cant help business in that sense any longer.

Flair got the epic send off because of what he meant to both the fans and the other wrestlers, Hogan has never commanded the same level of adulation from the other wrestlers that Flair did.

Could WWE benefit from Hogan's return...depends. He cant wrestle, no matter how many weights he lifts he can barely move and cant take bumps, what kind of matches could he do. Im sure he could the occasional in ring run in where the action is brief and extremely limited but Hogan getting in the ring with anyone other than Vince McMahon would be a disaster (and that one has already been done).

Plus, who benefits from beating him ? HHH and Taker certainly don't need it, neither does Cena. I don't think it would be anything more than a blip on the radar for CM Punk. None of the younger guys would get anything because the audience still wont accept them as something special just because they beat Hogan now (when he's barely mobile), plus older fans wont watch because they wont want to see a Fav like Hogan humbled by someone they don't feel is in his league.

Now if there was a way to use Hogan on camera but not in the ring then yes, his presence would help, at the very least it wont hurt. Plus, Hogan back means a whole new line of merchandise WWE can market. In that sense it would help business, but the days of Hogan filling arenas and wrestling main events are over.

Fact is, it's the same now for Flair and Austin. Austin cant wrestle due to injury and hasn't for several years, Flair can still take bumps but at his age he simply cant go in the ring. Both are very charismatic, great promo guys, and have a connection to multiple generations of fans...On camera work in a good storyline, preferably working alongside someone who could use the elevation, would benefit WWE, but like with Hogan, those two aren't main eventing your next PPV, they cant help business in that sense any longer.

did anyone ever see China, IL on adult swim?

hogan does a good job ad a voice actor on that show. WWE doesn't need a color commentator, they already have a surplus, but maybe TNA could use hom in that role.

I honestly thi k the crazy, over the top hulkamaniac from the 80's would be gold on color.

That's the only "out of ring" thing i would trust him with. But i agree, he can't help anyone in the ring.

Yes!! Of course the WWE could benefit from the return of the Immortal Hollywood Hulk Hogan!!

TNA technically benefitted sort of. We got the Hulkamania Hype in 2009. We got the newer New World Order, Immortal. We got the TNA version of the 4 Horsemen, Fourtune, which then turned into the TNA version of the Wolfpac, which then turned back into the TNA version of the ECW Originals. Then we finally got what I really thought would have been, and could be still in the right settings, the best role for today’s Hulk Hogan, General Manager of the show. I thought for sure that if the Face Hulkster had power, it could only be a good thing.

Now, let’s say Ric Flair is the General Manager of Smackdown and Hulk Hogan is the General Manager of Raw. Of course, The Authority would still have final say. Currently, right in the PG Era, this could only be a good thing.

I also don’t think I would mind if Hulk Hogan won his 7th WWE Championship. I also don’t think I would mind if Ric Flair won his 3rd.

I'd like to see Hogan at WrestleMania 30 but not on TV week in and week out.

I think it's unlikely he'd have a match as he can barely move,but I guess they could skirt around it by doing a tag match, maybe Hogan and Big E vs Roddy Piper and Randy Orton? :D

Yes they would. Hogan is the most famous name in pro wrestling history. The nostalgia alone would make them some money if he came back. There are a number of roles he can be used in. GM and announcer both come to mind fairly quickly. He could be a manager for a struggling face or two. I just hope they do not have him win any titles. The giant pennies MAYBE, if his partner does 95% of the work. The US Championship MAYBE, if anything as a tribute to his real american persona. However anything beyond that would be ridiculous. The Intercontinental Championship or either of the world titles would be taking a huge step downward in prestige if Hogan held them. He can't work a decent match anymore. Nostalgia and legend status can only do so much, a wrestler has to be believable in the role they are given. No championship runs if he returns, please.

Now, a GM run could be great. As could Hogan announcing. He could put over future stars verbally. It also means that if he is in one of those two roles in particular he could take over a role that someone has had for far too long that they outlived their usefulness in. Lawler at the announcing team or Vickie as GM, for instance. Hogan in either of those spots would be better. There's so much that could be done with him. Even something as small as a cameo appearance for Wrestlemania 30 would be great. I would not mind seeing Hogan in WWE again if this were the case. Come on, it's Hulk Hogan!

I think wwe would benefit from a Hulk Hogan return but not a long term one where he's there hamming it up every week like he was on TNA.

What would work is some sporadic appearances over a couple of months that lead to a big PPV match. Very much similar to his 2 returns in 2005 and 2006, more like his 2006 return though because in 2005 he actually wrestled about 4 matches or so which he just isn't capable of these days.

He is in better health than he was when he joined TNA because the surgeries have actually worked this time. The man can actually move his limbs now.

Having said that, he is 60 years old and he honestly can't put on a very good match so it has to be against an opponent who can do ALL the work and someone relatively small so Hogan can shift his opponent around with ease. CM Punk comes to mind.

People are probably thinking, "god not Hogan again" and might feel he'd deter fans from watching.
You have to remember Hogan has his own legion of loyal fans who will spend money to see him, especially for a final swan song in wwe so as long as there are still interesting story lines going on around his appearance then there is quite a profit to be made out of the immortal one.

I for one would love to see him back, but not as a wrestler, on air talent sure but not an active wrestler.

How to bring him back is the major question? I think this current rendition of the Corporation would be the perfect situation. Mix in a little bit of real life, have the return of Vince on TV and he interrupts HHH and Stephanie doing a promo and talk about Stephanie dumping shares of the company. There was one person that bought all of these shares and now he has enough power to make decisions in the WWE, bring in Hulk Hogan.

I had wanted this to be Shane but have Hogan and Vince together lead the charge against HHH and Stephanie. Besides Austin, Vince can have his most successful creation alongside him to take on the evil regime. This would lead into WrestleMania 30 and could have Team Vince/Hogan win and then have them split with Hogan going Hollywood saying he's bigger than the WWE and didn't need Vince to get over.

I think he'd make for a good manager should The Real Americans ever turn face. Everything there is already set up. He comes in and "teaches" them how to be actual, factual, Real Americans....then we get a team of Big E and Kofi, who, in an interview...with their new manager Booker T*cough*, say that they are coming for Swagger and Cesaro...

Just kidding. But seriously, Hogan as a manager for a tag team could work, it would at the very least, get Swagger and Cesaro over more by association. Or, at least I think it would.

30 without Hogan doesn't work imo.

Not to wrestle a match, but like he did with Hassan a few years ago, he shows up takes down someone who is hot but will benefit from interacting with him if not actually fighting. Sandow works on that score if he's still heel, as would Bray Wyatt.

Where you place him on the show might be the only tricky thing as inevitably there is going to be a lot of pissed off WWE talent as it is, struggling for a place on that show. If there ever is gonna be a 30 man battle royal at Mania it's that year, just to fit the worthy onto the payday.

Add in whoever the Hall of Famers are that year, if it's Warrior, he'll wrestle - one match only and it'll be a squash (money's on Ryback right now) but it'll be part of his deal. If Nash and the NWO or DX go in, they'll want something too.

If you do go with a full blown match for Hogan, it really needs to be some kind of tag match or 6 man. You could re-team Hogan and Warrior for one night against Harper and Rowan for example or put Hogan with a younger talent against the Real Americans.

But whatever you do with him has to be done sensibly. A lot of contracts will be coming up and guys who get bumped off 30 may well decide enough is enough.

Actually i like some of the ideas i read here.

Hogan as the Real Americans manager if they turn face (as long as they dont make it too goofy or cartoonish).

Hogan and Warrior vs a heel Team

And i also liked the Warrior vs Ryback idea. Make Warrior squash Ryback in 3 Minutes and send him home for good (i mean Ryback haha).

Yes WWE would benefit from Hogan. But only short term. Dont feed him to us every week like TNA did. Noone wants to see him in a major role like a GM.

WWE could use Hogan even as a commentator. Why not? He has the voice. Try it!

It would be interesting to find out if Hogan's luster has been dulled by his association with TNA. People who are fans of wrestling and follow Internet forums & such might think so, but casual fans who aren't in on the inner workings of the "sport" would probably neither know nor care. All they'd concern themselves with is that Hogan would be appearing on a WWE PPV.....and it would be enough to make them buy it. Folks who were into pro wrestling in the 80's because of Hogan might be lured back.....not by his "joining" WWE.....but by having him show up a few times for high-profile appearances, similar to what they were doing a decade ago.

Would there be enough of those people to provide benefit to WWE for renting Hogan's services for an event or two? That's the big unknown, isn't it?

Personally, I'd give it a try, as long as Hogan is made to understand he's strictly an employee for the night, not a creative consultant nor a permanent part of the roster.

And if he demands a king's ransom for participating, doing that business in which he expects to be treated as if it's still 1985.......I'd tell Vince to forget the whole thing.

I wouldn't mind it if Hogan came back..I don't want to see him in an actual match, seeing as how he's got fake hips and fake knees at this point..As much as I'd like to see the Leg Drop one more time, if Hogan goes for it he might pull a Sycho Sid, hence his fake hips could shatter to pieces and then we'd see him taken out on a red, white and blue stretcher..

If he doesn't end up as The Real Americans' manager, then maybe he could commentate on Raws, Smackdowns and PPVs..I'd much rather hear Hogan's voice alongside JBL's and Lawler's (even though Lawler's a generic face commentator at this point) voices instead of hearing Michael Cole's perpetually asinine comments. He could also be an ambassador for WWE, traveling to different countries, especially countries where the WWE could hold more events (including televised shows and PPVs) in the future, such as Russia, Japan, South Africa, China, Chile, etc.

Also, if Hogan returns, then don't be surprised that the Hogan Accessible Ramp will be at every show he's at so it won't take Hogan forever to get in the ring for any in-ring segments he might be apart of.
IMG_5683.jpg

And if he demands a king's ransom for participating, doing that business in which he expects to be treated as if it's still 1985.......I'd tell Vince to forget the whole thing.

Hogan's not it in a position, where he can kick in the front door with his chest stuck out, and demand the moon and the stars anymore, that's for sure.

I thought about this thread after they showed Hogan in the stands during the Cincinnati/Miami game tonight. The commentators are playing up "The Hulkster" being in attendance at the game, and while I'm sure Hogan's initial appearance in WWE is more than capable of bringing a big reaction out of the live crowd, a lot of Hogan's mystique has faded over the years.

It's a known fact Terry Bollea is a shameless self-promoter, and his public image took a real hit after Nick's car accident, the divorce from Linda, stuff with Brooke, and the recent sex tape scandal. On top of that, Hulk Hogan can't wrestle anything resembling a competitive match.

Sorry, but you can't rely on the nostalgia buzz forever. Most of his die hard fans will use the "He's Hulk Fucking Hogan, so who cares" excuse, but think about this as some food for thought. The Rock of all people received boos and lukewarm receptions, when WWE posted his pictures, Tweets, and Facebook posts on the titantron post Wrestlemania 29.

Having 2013/2014 Hogan on your roster creates one hell of a conundrum. The guy can't wrestle, but at the same time, you can't have Hulk Hogan on your roster in bit roles. But Hogan hogging the spotlight doesn't help a young wrestler, because in the end, Hogan will be the centerpiece.

The best fit for a WWE Hogan return is sporadic appearances for a little nostalgia kick every now and then, but Hogan eating up tons of TV time as the first and last face we all see on a weekly basis? Those days are over.

There are options like john cena vs hogan, punk vs hogan. NOPE. you pair him with Damiem Sandow??? :confused:

Quote HHH last weeks promo, he would only come back to wrestle ONLY against STARS, not some nobody who's a C+ or B+ players.

Okay, who's joking now?

Hulk Hogan is a 60 year old man with a gimpy back, hip, knees, etc. Putting Hogan in the ring with Cena or Punk is a waste of a match for Cena and Punk. It's not like Hogan can actually hang with either of these guys in any way that would look good. He certainly can't go 20 minutes anymore. Nearly 10 years ago, Hogan was still barely credible to pull matches with Orton and Michaels, but even those days are long past. When I say Sandow, I'm talking about Hogan doing a 5 minute glorified squash match that has Sandow playing the typical villain role (which he can do admirably). It would be another opportunity for Hogan to reprise his "Real American" gimmick against Sandow who'd cut numerous cocky and entertaining promos.

Anything else is a waste of talent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back