Could the World X Cup work in WWE in 2012?

gasM

Occasional Pre-Show
I first watched TNA by accident when I saw it on Bravo, which was showing the night Booker T debuted (can't remember what event that was - he was Sting's mystery tag partner).
I tuned in every time I happened to catch it, but the first angle that caught my eye was the World X Cup. I'd never watched any wrestling that wasn't WWE, so the global mix of styles and the insane moves really drew me in and made me pay attention (it was the Immortal storyline that drew me out again, so to speak.)

The point is, could an international tournament make an interesting angle in the WWE?
First off, I don't think the WWE has enough truly high-flying talent to make it an X-Division/cruiserweight style showcase. But the concept of teams representing their country? That could work.

In my example, I would have Team USA, Team Mexico, Team Asia, and Team Europe.

Team USA:
Jack Swagger - I love watching this guy wrestle, and I think his look and "All-American American" gimmick is perfect for a heroic, patriotic face. Spearheading Team USA could launch that character.
Evan Bourne - The team's spot monkey. Gets the crowd going, further establishes the team as a face team, and doesn't have to wrestle long solo matches right after his injury.
Zack Ryder - He used to be insanely over, but he's becoming increasingly lost in the shuffle. Representing his country in the tournament gives him screen time, a purpose, and some momentum again.

Team Mexico -
Rey Mysterio - Established team leader, a vet who's over with the crowd and a good representative of the lucha libre style.
Sin Cara - See Evan Bourne (minus the injury part). People are clamouring for a Cara/Mysterio feud - the two interacting in a student/teacher role establishes their chemistry and familiarity before that feud happens.
Alberto Del Rio - This could be a big opportunity for Del Rio. I would have him cajoled into joining by Mysterio and reluctantly helping out, before slowly turning face and getting more passionate about the team and the cause.

Team Asia -
The Great Khali - Proves it's a multi-national and multi-size tournament. Also his size means the team has a chance at winning.
Yoshi Tatsu - The high-flyer who needs something to do besides jobbing to Tensai. Could provide good comedy moments with Khali.
Jinder Mahal - Determined to win to prove his worth but is exasperated by the comedy antics of Khali and Tatsu. Could pick up some pinfalls over big names from other teams to help his credibility.

Team Europe -
Wade Barrett - The man is gold, and his involvement in anything makes it better. The tag team matches in the tournament means he won't have to carry full matches so soon after his injury.
Drew McIntyre - I don't rate the guy at the moment, but he does have potential to be a somebody in the WWE. This tournament provides screen time and decent opponents for him.
Santino Marella - He works best as an underdog (personally I think that's one of the reasons his title reign has bombed). He's the little guy trying to hang with the big kids in the team; any wins he picks up will get a big reaction from the crowd.

I would have a few weeks of singles matches and tag matches with a point system to determine the standings of each group. Eventually the top two teams go head to head at a PPV in a tag match and a singles match between the team captains. In my example:

Team USA and Team Mexico advance to the PPV, with all team members going in as faces (even Del Rio). Sin Cara goes to tag Del Rio in when he gets off the apron and leaves him to be pinned. Mysterio comes down to protest and is destroyed by Del Rio, who says he has played everyone all along and only wants to win the Cup for himself and not his country.
He replaces Mysterio in the finals of the tournament vs Jack Swagger - winner take all. Swagger wins in an underdog way and Team USA wins - happy ending.

The concept has so much mileage: my example used few main eventers and yet it would provide interesting matches between underused talents. It would also lead to fresh feuds for Del Rio, Santino for his title (against someone who pinned him during the tournament), hell you could even have some Canadians rain on Swagger's parade because they weren't invited into the tournament. Imagine a face, patriotic Swagger program with Chris Jericho :worship:

So, do you think the concept would work? What did you think of my program? How would you book it?

I always loved the world x cup! Even in the early days of TNA and it introduced me and slot of wrestling fans to some top talent such as Petey Williams and even bobby Roode but what made it so special wad the fact TNA brought in talent from other organisations which is something WWE would never so although I think your idea would probably work it just wouldn't be as special in my opinion.

That's also forgetting the fact that WWE would never put the needed focus on something not revolving around the main eventers or world titles.

Cool thread btw

sorry but my answer is NO with a smile. TNA's world X cup matches were absolutly amazing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auXjkwXtMt8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTaTy4U9VRM&feature=channel&list=UL

thats world X cup 2008. WWE dont know how to put great wrestling like that. If WWE does make a world X cup it will be a watered down dumb ass version with santino and ricardo in it

World X Cup 2008 kicked ass! But you're telling me Swagger vs Del Rio wouldn't be a good match? Or Sin Cara and Rey Mysterio wouldn't make a good team? Or Jinder Mahal vs...actually you make a good point.

Seriously though, WWE deserves more credit from fans. Yes things like Santino vs Ricardo make me want to hurt somebody, but they also brought us Punk vs Bryan, two guys who disprove the common complaint that "Vince only likes muscly guys". Snooki at WM 27 was a waste of time, but The Miz went over John Cena that year. THE MIZ. Who could've predicted that?

Have a little faith. IF, and I know it's a big if, but IF they put the right superstars into it, could it work? Is the question.

And TNA did do well with their World X Cups, but let's not forget they also gave us the AJ/Dixie?Crazy lady?/AJ's bastard child story.

originally posted by gasMWorld X Cup 2008 kicked ass! But you're telling me Swagger vs Del Rio wouldn't be a good match? Or Sin Cara and Rey Mysterio wouldn't make a good team? Or Jinder Mahal vs...actually you make a good point.

Seriously though, WWE deserves more credit from fans. Yes things like Santino vs Ricardo make me want to hurt somebody, but they also brought us Punk vs Bryan, two guys who disprove the common complaint that "Vince only likes muscly guys". Snooki at WM 27 was a waste of time, but The Miz went over John Cena that year. THE MIZ. Who could've predicted that?

Have a little faith. IF, and I know it's a big if, but IF they put the right superstars into it, could it work? Is the question.

And TNA did do well with their World X Cups, but let's not forget they also gave us the AJ/Dixie?Crazy lady?/AJ's bastard child story.

Your right lol. And i wasnt trying to bash WWE because im a WWE fan. Im just saying WWE's version woudnt be as ''spot monkey'' -ish.

Although i would like to see a WORLD tournament. WWE gets a bunch of guys from many countries and the winner of the tournament gets a contract.

As a wrestling fan, I love the idea. As someone who understands the marketing machine that the WWE is, I know it is never going to happen. The matches became secondary to the storylines and the 'entertainment' side of the industry a long time ago. It's the same reason the King of the Ring has given way to other PPVs - the WWE doesn;t want to promote wrestling and they damn sure don;t want a show where the competition of wrestling ability is at the forefront of every fan's mind.

This may sound like I am bashing the WWE; I'm not. But, I am acknowledging the lack of desire currently shown to promote wrestling above the oither aspects of what the company do.

But again, for the record, I think your idea is great!

Ive got to say I dont think it would work but I like the idea - if anything it could be played out at survivor series 3 man tag teams - you could probably get a USA, Canada, England , Rest Of Europe, Asia , Mexico may be . I think its the only way it would work within the WWe and you never know an unlikely stable could be born.

I like the idea, but in team Europe, I would replace Santino with Sheamus or Mason Ryan with for the simple reason, Santino isn't really a european but in gerneral i love the idea esp. since wwe is so International with there Superstars at the moment

I think the World X Cup worked well because it showcased new talent in my opinion. I think if WWE did it and utilized the FCW guys or to bring new wrestlers to the main show then yes it would be a good idea. I have doubts whether it could work maybe as a one of PPV?

I think it's a great idea, but WWE would have to use the right guys to make it not look like a joke. I also would replace Team Asia with Team Canada, wouldn't it be awesome to see Jericho and Christian team again?
Anyway, this would be awesome but as odisho21 said WWE isn't capable of putting on great wrestling like that. The Swagger-Team USA thing is a good idea, but you can't have guys like Santino, Khali, and Jinder Mahal in it.

No. Pro wrestling works when the story is driving it. If people wanted to watch something that was sports-like, they'd watch a sport. Pro wrestling requires athleticism and toughness of a sport, but also the creativity and storytelling of entertainment. Don't neuter it.

Why would anyone give a shit? National pride? Most of the market is American. If there is one IWC staple I hate, it's these "make wrestling more like a sport with standings" ideas.

Reactions: Lee
TWJC - the storylines between team members provide platforms for future feuds and build characters in a unique way, it would not, could not and should not be action for the sake of action.

You make a VERY valid point though - remember how badly the Bragging Rights tournament bombed? That's an example of why wrestling shouldn't be considered a sport. Props for highlighting that, it hadn't even crossed my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back