Could Lethal Lottery work in WWE now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

triple_b2k

Pre-Show Stalwart
Mark Madden recently posted a story about DDP and his win at the Slamboree 96 PPV where WCW held the Lethal Lottery. I remember that PPV and how fun the concept was.
For those who don't know what it was, I'll give a quick run down. There were a number of tag team matches with teams being paired by a lottery. A lot of matches saw tag teams put on opposite teams (Steiners, Road Warriors, and Faces of Fear). There were also other good teams like Ric Flair and Randy Savage, Chris Benoit and Kevin Sullivan, etc.
Tag teams would have to win 2 matches before entering the battle royal. The Battle Royal was made up for the 4 winning teams, 8 men. DDP ended up winning and was allowed a title show at the next PPV (even though he didn't get it because he actually touched the floor but they didn't see it).

My questions are;

1. Could a concept like this work in WWE today?
2. Who would you like to see paired up or separated for one night?
3. Who would you want to see win?

I would love to see Wade Barrett and CM Punk vs Randy Orton and Kofi Kingston in 1 of the matches.
As for the ultimate winner, I'd like to see someone who hasn't been the WWE Champion or Heavyweight Champion win like Kofi, Wade, JoMo, etc.

1. Perhaps if executed right.
2. I think the team of del rio and Daniel Bryan could do damage.
3. I would want orton and Christian to win.

A concept like this could work and would be a great way to mix top talent with mid-carders and in some cases give them a good rub. Some good feuds could come out of this concept as well.

I have always been a fan of these types of tournament styles. my favorite WWE ppv of all time is Survivor Series: Deadly Games because of the tournament it featured. King of the Ring is too much hoopla for me now and is no longer used in the fashion it was designed (as a ppv). I'd like to see this kind of tournaments that give new guys shots to shine and a possible title match opportunity.

Unfortunately, with how WWE is conducting its booking, we are more likely to see this idea end up in TNA who is all about the over-kill tournaments.

when done right, tournaments are awesome - i.e. Deadly Games

I actually really like the idea of this in the WWE. Imagine the possibilities: old teams re-united (Miz & Morrison), teams forced to team with enemies (Justin Gabriel and Kane), obscure stars paired with main eventers. It puts emphasis on the Tag Team titles, it gives newer fans an unfamiliar, fun format, and can even start feuds when a heel/face team fails. Added to the fact I love the tournament format that no wrestling promotions use anymore.

As for teams I'd like to see formed, perhaps a reunion of Miz and Morrison? Be jealous! Maybe a reunion of Rhodes/DiBiase? How about a break up of Gabriel and Slater, one being forced to team with an old Nexus teammate like Michael McGuillicutty or David Otunga? How about an odd team of Ryder/Santino? Mysterio/Sin Cara? Just so much opportunity here!

Great idea. I also like the idea of random pairings in a tournament. Miz and morrison again (as pointed out by the poster above me), rivals with rivals, an up and commer being matched with a legend. It would be a great way to revisit old rivalries, create new feuds, and get a lot of hype in the dying tag division again.

this ppv idea sounds really cool i think it could work and id love to see it happen but sadly with the way WWE is.....i highley doubt it will happen :disappointed: pretty sure TNA has done something close to this in the past but idk but theres so many great possible teams if WWE did this! miz & morrison back together,rhodes & dibiase,kane & undertaker,sin cara & rey,and many many more! hell we might get the no sell twins aka supercena and superorton as a team! :lmao: id like to see this idea happen

I think this could be a great concept to maybe bring Tag Team Wrestling back in WWE. Although using it for a Heavyweight title format wouldn't do that, but after the event perhaps have a few real teams form out of it to actually compete together. Also, bring some real exposure to those names forgotten. I don't like what WWE has done to Tag Team wrestling. As a kid I loved it so something like this I would be all about. I would like to see some real teams in the competition as well unfortunately there really aren't any left just mid carders that get put together for the sake that they have nothing better for them.

This would be a great idea to switch up Survivor Series. Its a much better concept and may solve the dilemma they've had.
With 3 or 4 on a team like Survivor Series mixed with the Rumble. The winning team being celebrated at the Slammies the next night on Raw which are usually in November
And its not too much of a change of the the original style. Main event title matches ansurvivor series matches. The unpredictability of the teams would be very interesting.

I've always thought a team like Fortune from TNA or a young Evolution lead by Dolph Ziggler would be great. And the random teams would be a perfect time to come up with one. Consisting of an interchangable mix of the following guys: Cody Rhodes, Ted Dibiase, Mcyntire, Morrison, and a heel turn or 2.
Even have the divas involved as arm candy.

The divas could include filler with a match with the same random teams.

And though it may complicate the card, have a elimination style or championship scamble main event title match with 4.

I would really like this to be the new concept for Survivor Series because the unpredictability of the teams drawn is interesting enough to generate buys.
Keep the seperate brands on teams for Bragging Rights.

I don't see how this concept would work now when in the WWE there is not a true tag team division and most tag teams are made up on the fly as it is. What would be so special about a Lethal Lottery that might team up Cena and CM Punk when in any given regular Raw you could see them paired up anyways as part of an anonymous GM gimmick? Bottom line, the WWE in it's regular shows is already gimmicked to hell and back. This is where a return of a normal studio style show for Raw / Smackdown.

I love the lethal lottery!

My personal fave PPV of all time is Starrcade 91, which featured Lethal lottery with stars such as Sting, Vader, Steamboat, Steve Austin, Rick Rude, Cactus Jack, Lex Luger, Arn Anderson to name but a few. Then it was only the one round of Tag Team matches and straight into the Battle Royal - you would only need the one round of tag matches, a battle Royal and a championship match or two to complete the card.
As long as there are rivalries, this format would always work.
I think in one match Sting ended up teaming with Abdullah the Butcher, who was more intent on putting Sting in the Hospital, than getting through to the next round!

To be honest, theres only so much milage you can get out of splitting teams. Infact, I think it worked against itself in Slamboree 96, as seemingly every tag team partner ended up against their opposite number?!

To WWE - PLEASE bring back this format! It would rock!
:D

I don't see how this concept would work now when in the WWE there is not a true tag team division and most tag teams are made up on the fly as it is. What would be so special about a Lethal Lottery that might team up Cena and CM Punk when in any given regular Raw you could see them paired up anyways as part of an anonymous GM gimmick? Bottom line, the WWE in it's regular shows is already gimmicked to hell and back. This is where a return of a normal studio style show for Raw / Smackdown.

That's true about the tag teams being made up on the fly. Sometimes it feels like they decide a tag team the day of the taping or house show.
However this is more like a dream match scenario. It takes best friends/tag partners and puts them on opposite teams OR takes big rivals and puts them on the same team all with a goal of getting a title shot.

Miz and Cena, Orton and Cena, blah blah blah, some of these have been done already. I agree, WWE loves to use this gimmick a lot. However I think the idea of a title shot to the winner gives them a goal instead of just another main event match.

Sounds cool, good idea.

I would want to see two completely different characters team up and put their difference aside for their goals, which should also be different.

Face: Wants to put on a show for the fans no matter who hes with.
Heel: Doesn't want to lose!

Would only work if they could execute it properly without it being silly.

I've always been a fan of them but at the same time they need to make sure that it's worth something. What's the point in winning something other than winning it for the sake of winning it? No one is going to watch if that's the case. Also, make sure the teams actually seem random. At Slamboree they ruined it with "SHOCKING" teams that were either rivals, polar opposites or regular partners. The first one looked different and worked rather well. Go with something like that instead and it could be decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back