Cody Rhodes... Took His Mask Off!

Machianzo

WOOOAHHH-OH!
If you were just watching RAW, you saw that Cody Rhodes just removed his mask, of his own accord for the first time in order to defeat Randy Orton. This is interesting, could we be seing the first seed being planted of further character change for Cody Rhodes? With a prospective feud with Ted DiBiase emerging, might we see Cody, over the next few months, morph his character into a new form?

I really hope, and do not think it likley he will revert to his "dashing" persona. While that was a great transitional period in Rhodes' caraeer, I do feel it was just that, transitional. He never looked like a credible threat until he donned the mask.

Of course, the mask brought its own problem. The mask is a crutch, as the face commentators like to frequently point out. Sure he's a heel and a crutch is perfectly acceptable, becuase as a heel, its his duty to cheat to win. However, it is none the less annoying to hear every commentator point it out EVERY FREAKING MATCH. (The last bit, I admit, is a pet peeve of mine.)

However, the other problem with the masked personna is that, the bagging that comes with it has been embraced by the majority of the fans, as Cody Rhodes has realised himself and has explained in interviews. The fans love bagging themselves. This is a blessing and a curse in my opinion. As a heel, it is a curse, as of course, fan support is not wanted, its that heel heat he's wanting. On the other hand, it has served to get him more over than the "dashing" personna had gotten him (Don't get me wrong, the dashing personna also got him over to a degree. I see it like building blocks.)

To end this rant of mine, could Cody Rhodes be seeking out a way to increase his heel heat and further develop his personna?

Am I making a big deal out of nothing?

If Cody Rhodes were to abondon his mask, how would his character develop from there-on, and how do you see him continuing to get his character over?

rhodes sucks, cut him, sorry but he has nothing going right now

I know I'm probably being trolled here but whatever. Why exactly is Cody Rhodes a waste of time? Oh, I'm sorry you don't deem anything going for him right now...apart from him being the most relevant mid carder on both shows. He is very good (not excellent) but very good in the ring, he has very good mic skills, and he is very over with the crowd.

In addition, he is also your IC champion...who just defeated your World heavyweight champion.

I don't think he'll remove the mask for good. His psychotic persona is the one that fans buyed, not the legacy Rhodes, not the dashing Rhodes. If he remove the mask, it will be a sign of a face turn for him.

So who is he going to face at night of champions? Is it Ted DiBiase?

It won't be a permenant thing...but it seems like Cody KNOWS its a crutch and thats the point in the mask. He's playing a psycho gimmick and the mask aids him in that, the mask will stay.

MORE IMPORTANTLY Cody Rhodes BEAT Randy Orton. Not clean and through interference, yes, but this is a HUGE step in the right direction for Cody and the repeated pairings of Cody and Orton hopefully are pointing toward a Cody/Orton feud.

Shoot. I was just going to make a thread about this. Plus, his promo on Smackdown. At the end, he didn't crack his voice or anything. I would like to see him stop wearing the mask, and still be demented. However, as I said, his promo on Smackdown could be a teaser for him to become normal again. Not Dashing, but not grotesque.

I see Rhodes developing his persona a bit hit here. He is not getting rid of the mask, it helps makes his character unique due to no one else having one. What he CAN do is begin taking it off for matches. That way he can still use it as a crutch and a way to get heel heat, but develop his character a little more to show how serious he gets in the ring. It's not that big of a deal that he took it off once, but if it happens multiple times then we may be seeing a change. I think it will lead to a small development in his character to where he takes it off for matches, but keeps it on otherwise. There's really no reason to take it off permanently. Without it he'd still be too similar to others and it's better for Rhodes to stand out some.

The mask is getting a little old, but if he can just keep that sadistic tone in his voice and darker persona, I'll settle for him wearing it bit longer. He's really developed into quite the heel and a feud versus Orton in any capacity would be a major treat! Champion vs Champion would be nice as well as it would elevate the importance of being I.C Champion as well as give Orton a fresh face in the title picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back