Cody Rhodes as the U.S. Champion

CM Steel

A REAL American
Cody Rhodes is currently tagging with Damian Sandow in the tag team division as the number one contenders for the WWE tag team championship. But when the team does break-up after their run as a tag team what's next for Rhodes? Cody wouldn't be shot up to the ranks as being a top contender for the WWE or World Heavyweight championship just yet. Cody hasn't won the U.S. title yet. A title that his WWE hall of fame father the "American Dream" Dusty Rhodes won in the NWA days. And the title his older brother Dustin Rhodes (Goldust) won in the old WCW days.

What if Cody did win the WWE's United States championship and did an "American Patriot" stint with the title? Much like what JBL did in 2006 after he won the U.S. strap at Wrestlemania 22 in Chicago. It made JBL relevent in the main event picture again! So could you picture Cody Rhodes coming out with a Red, White, and Blue jacket on with stars & stripes? Because the WWE United States title would look good on Cody.

Better then that thing under Cody's nose above his lips! Looking like he ate a plate of "pootang pie".

I wouldn't mind seeing him win the U.S. title but the whole "American patriot" angle just seems played out. I still want to see Cesaro hold the strap for a good while because I think he is great as U.S. champ, but if Cody were to win the belt, I'd like for it to be while he is still tag teaming with Damien Sandow. Then, whereas normally the team comes out to Sandows Music, they come out to Cody Rhodes' music. During interviews, Cody cuts Sandow off to speak first, or if not, he at least stands in front of Sandow when he is speaking, as opposed to beside. It would be even greater if prior to gaining the U.S. title, Rhodes Scholars wins the tag belts. Then when he does have the U.S. belt, he wears it over the tag belt as they walk to the ring. He could even not wear it. Maybe when they have a tag match, Cody keeps the strap on while standing on the apron, then when tagged in, he takes the time to remove the belt. he would basically make Sandow seem inferior. This would be a fresher way to break them up than random betrayal.

I wouldn't mind seeing him win the U.S. title but the whole "American patriot" angle just seems played out. I still want to see Cesaro hold the strap for a good while because I think he is great as U.S. champ, but if Cody were to win the belt, I'd like for it to be while he is still tag teaming with Damien Sandow. Then, whereas normally the team comes out to Sandows Music, they come out to Cody Rhodes' music. During interviews, Cody cuts Sandow off to speak first, or if not, he at least stands in front of Sandow when he is speaking, as opposed to beside. It would be even greater if prior to gaining the U.S. title, Rhodes Scholars wins the tag belts. Then when he does have the U.S. belt, he wears it over the tag belt as they walk to the ring. He could even not wear it. Maybe when they have a tag match, Cody keeps the strap on while standing on the apron, then when tagged in, he takes the time to remove the belt. he would basically make Sandow seem inferior. This would be a fresher way to break them up than random betrayal.

If this happens then it would turn Sandow into a face. Im not sure the WWE wants him as a face. But this is a good idea for a storyline. I like the idea of Cody Rhodes being US Champion but I dont think he should change his attire or anything if he gains the belt. If he gets the US Title then he should do the same thing he did with the IC Title. He was a great IC Champion! Then the dumbass Big Show interrupted his title reign. If he wins the US title they should have him cut a promo saying he'll be a better US Champ than his brother and dad ECT..... And they should have him defend the championship more often. I hate the fact that most of the titles are only defended at PPV's. I wanna see titles defended on Raw and Smackdown.

Sandow doesn't necessarily have to become a face. I hate the fact that it's gotten so black and white now that when a team splits up there has to be a face/heel turn. Heel vs heel, face vs face, tweener vs tweener used to happen all the time and always made matches less predictable. I think tht method also helps people get over. If Cody and Sandow split and were both heels still while feuding, then the crowd, instead of blindly cheering the face, would have to actually decide which one they liked better based on ring work, mic skills, and character. I hate when there is an excellent ring worker but he is a heel but the fans side with the guy who can't wrestle his way out of a paper bag. And I get that heels get booed and faces get cheered. But it doesn't have to be that black and white. Mega faces and mega heels should get cheered and booed a lot. But I think it makes the storylines and character development when heelss still have their fans. Remember the nWo? They were the bad guys but got cheered a lot. Did that make them suck? They would both do heelish things but each have their following of fans. This will really help separate who the real stars are and who are the ones just getting pops because they are supposed to.

Why are you already thinking about Sandow and Rhodes splitting? They just started tagging a few months ago. The Rhodes Scholars are a very entertaining team. They shouldn't break up anytime soon. As for Cody and the US Title, hes already had a long run as IC champ which went well so I think he should try to move above those titles. Not saying he should win a World Title but he should be put in some upper card feuds. He is a guy who constantly betters himself and his character. In the last 2 years hes gone from "dashing" to "undashing" to a great midcard champion, to now a mustached intellectual. The whole time he has been able to get reactions from the crowd. He deserves a chance to move up the card.

Why are you already thinking about Sandow and Rhodes splitting? They just started tagging a few months ago. The Rhodes Scholars are a very entertaining team.

All of that is true, yet I can't keep from wondering why the Rhodes Scholars came to being in the first place. It seems Sandow's character should be the ultimate loner; the guy who's much more interested in spreading "the gospel according to himself" than having to bounce it off a teammate. Usually, they'll give someone a partner to help a struggling new talent, but this pairing surprised me because Sandow was doing just fine getting over by himself. In fact, his spiel was a lot more exciting than anything Cody had ever done (personality-wise), so I began to wonder if the two guys were matched to help Cody. If so, that's a little pathetic, no? Given the length of Cody's service, it's not a good thing if he needs a rookie to give him a boost.

So, as far as the U.S. Championship for Cody, I say.....why not? Give it to him.....or not. He's been the IC champ before because the company plainly likes him and wants him in the ring. If they give him a patriot thing and force him to turn face for the first time in his WWE tenure, it could turn out to be a good thing. Since WWE plans to have Cody around no matter what, let's give it a try.

It is possible that there is a plan (currently on the back burner) to eventually turn Cody Rhodes into a face. I thought I had read rumours on here a while back that the WWE was considering this, although I do stand to be corrected on my abysmal memory. It certainly would not be out of the question to do such a thing; Sheamus was a guy who I never dreamed they would turn from heel to face, yet hey have done so, and the Miz and ADR seem to be undergoing a similar unexpected transition. So it could be that WWE would like to give Rhodes a shot at some point functioning from a face perspective.

That being said, pretty much every tag team eventually implodes and the two guys ultimately face off against each other. Damian Sandow and Cody Rhodes will, at some point, turn against each other and feud. The character that Sandow plays would be hard to imagine functioning as a face, so this would be the way to turn Cody if they so desired. Have Rhodes eventually tire of Sandow's bullshit and turn on him. Or have Sandow blame Rhodes if they have a lack of success, same result.

And if this were to happen, I could see a face Cody Rhodes end up in the United States Championship picture. He's nowhere near main event calibre, but is certainly good enough to hold mid card belts as he has already shown. I could see a US title run for Cody in the not too distant future, but well after Rhodes Scholars has run it's course. There is lots of up and coming talent for Rhodes to feud with, including his current and soon to be former tag team partner, Damian Sandow.

First, the mustache should go the way of Dolph Ziggler's brown haired lawyer haircut. Clearly Cody cannot grow a full mustache, and it just makes him look silly. If Cody Rhodes were to turn face as a result of Rhodes Scholars breaking up, it would be incredibly easy to book given Sandow's gimmick. Currently Sandow considers Rhodes an intellectual equal, but were the tandem to experience some losses it would be likely that Sandow would blame Rhodes and cite his inferior intelligence. Sandow could begin to berate Rhodes verbally but it would be clear to the fans that Rhodes is just as smart, maybe smarter. Eventually Rhodes could outsmart Sandow and get a face win over him in a grudge match. If Cesaro is still US Champion it would be a great transition for Rhodes to compete for the title as a proud American.

I'll admit, I don't really like tag team wrestling. However, when these two do split, I believe it will be cody going face because Sandow is way too good as a heel to go face. Sandow will berate cody's intelligence, and that will be the that. Perhaps one day these two could fight for the world heavyweight championship. Both are very good in the ring.

I don't see what good a run with the US Championship would really do for Cody Rhodes at the moment. He is in his tag team with Damien Sandow right now and they are doing great. I would honestly rather see Rhodes Scholars stay together for a while, I began to like them as a team and I was unsure at first. If the team splits I'd want to see Rhodes either go for Intercontinental Championship again or move on to bigger and better things. Why should he go for the US Championship? As a tribute to his dad's American Dream character? Ask Ted DiBiase how much tributes to your father's character helps your career.

US Champion Cody Rhodes under any type of american gimmick or even a face turn sounds like a bad idea right now. As cool as it may seem; especially him wearing a red, white, and blue outfit to the ring, Rhodes wouldn't benefit from it much. Having an american face go for the US Championship to defeat Cesaro is a good route but better suited for someone like Swagger. I'd keep Cody a heel and move him on to bigger and better things, or perhaps another shot at the Intercontinental Championship due to how he was the one who (kayfabe) brought back the classic design to it

I would rather keep Cody out of the US title picture. It would be a step backwards in my opinion. But if he had to then I think he should do the same thing he did with the IC title and bring back the classic WCW design. I’m really not to keen on him going for a lower mid card title when he eventually goes solo again, when he should be elevated to at least the WHC picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back