CM Punk VS The Miz

gasM

Occasional Pre-Show
Would you be interested in a Punk vs Miz feud?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOVWTNvxqVc

When searching YouTube earlier I discovered these two had had just one singles match against each other, back in 2011. It got me thinking about the potential for a Punk vs Miz feud.
What with Punk coming off his big title reign, it's unclear what he's doing at Wrestlemania. At this point, he's either facing Undertaker or in a Triple Threat with Cena and the Rock. What's he going to do after 'Mania? Undertaker won't be around, nor will Rock. Are we going to see Punk vs Cena AGAIN? Great as that feud is, they can't revisit it too often or it'll get stale. Then again, without an interesting, heated feud Punk could slide down the card.

Enter Miz.

Miz is a superstar looking to pick up steam. With a lackluster face turn, poorly received mentorship from Ric Flair and a lower card feud for a lower card title, he's finding that somewhat difficult. Not to say his feud with Cesaro is necessarily bad, but Miz isn't the American hero the angle needs, so either he's going to lose on the biggest card of the year or he's going to begin his title reign as a bit of a letdown. A feud with a top heel, especially one that gets personal, could do wonders for him in the post-Wrestlemania season. Why would CM Punk vs Miz be personal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFe-v-FMc_Q

For starters, they legit don't like each other. Or at least, Punk has been vocally disdainful of Miz in the past. Someone like Punk who came up the hard way through the indies would have plenty to complain about a reality TV guy like Miz getting the star treatment he gets. That could translate well to TV with Punk complaining about how disrespectful it is to him and his ilk that Miz gets to host his own show and get the seal of approval from Ric Flair. Miz, being the babyface, could counter that Punk is just bitter that he isn't WWE champion anymore. So they have kayfabe reasons to feud, and the mutual animosity between the two could contribute to some heated promos and violent matches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMy40JIdZuM

And what would be the spark to put the feud over the top? Ric Flair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHI-ZrEQr4s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4re4AIZ9bHE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o6oIJJzzpY

Punk has a history of assaulting older legends during this run – he's faced off against Vince McMahon and Jerry Lawler, and had a war of words with JR and Mick Foley. Why not add Flair to the list? Call him a tired old sellout for siding with Miz, put a GTS on him on Raw, and bang. Heat from the smarter fans who like Flair, and a reason for Miz to drop the tired sophomoric face actand get a little bit more intense. Now as for who goes over, I'd say Punk – but by hook or crook. He can't really afford to lose this after likely losing at Wrestlemania, having lost at Royal Rumble and Elimination Chamber too. But if the point is to elevate Miz, he can't lose too cleanly either.

Why even bother doing the feud? If nothing else, it's fresh. They clashed in a triple threat match way back when for the ECW Championship and for the WWE Championship at TLC in 2011, but other than one Raw match they've never gone one on one (to my knowledge). Also Miz was a heel in all of those matches whilst Punk was a face, so the dynamic would be completely new as well.

But what do you internet people think? Am I an idiot or a mark or whatever you say for suggesting this feud? Am I a genius who should book Raw? Let me know:

1) Would this be an interesting storyline?
2) What did you think of my booking?
3) How would you book it?

I'd like this feud but i know a lot of people really have not liked Miz's face turn so I dunno. Miz is good on the mic but he's not at Punk's level. Still, I think because they can both talk, it would be a good feud. Punk is much better technical wrestler but both guys have a similar physique/build, so this is a more believable feud to me, than Rock vs. Punk. I see this as being a good feud over a couple of the smaller PPVs or a "transitional feud" if Punk isn't involved in the WWE title picture.

Miz still could be a main eventer but I don't see it as a face.

The main issue I see is that I think Miz is going to win the US title from Cesaro at some point, possibly at WM. So, I don't see him in a program with Punk as Punk is not going to be downgraded to a US title feud.

I think this would be a good feud but the problem is that CM Punk is at a higher level than The Miz right now and The Miz as a face won't really elevate him to the main event standard that CM Punk has established.

For this feud to work The Miz will have to be the heel and CM Punk as a face, The Miz is very good on the mic and he is even better as a heel and CM Punk is good as both a face and a heel so he doesn't need to change much.

This would be a good feud as well but like SDS1582 said, The Miz is more than likely going to win the US Title at WrestleMania 29 and they wont make this feud just over the US Title if they were going to do it anytime soon. But in the future who knows what could happen between these two

I agree this feud does have potential. I enjoyed there promo a few months back when Punk was forced to take a lie detecter test. I think with the right push Miz should be credible enough to face Punk. It would be a good filler feud for one of there B Show PPVs like Over the Limit or No Way Out.

I think this is a great idea. After having just been beaten by the Rock, interest in Punk is still high, but as he is seemingly out of the title picture for a while, it would be best for him to try and help put over a face that needs it, or maybe a few faces, before they can then think about building him up again. The Miz is someone who I believe does have the potential to be a pretty good face, and although some people have been a little skeptical after some of his earlier rather "cheesy" promos, I believe that he is starting to fall into his own; the feud with Cesaro is really helping with this IMO. On top of all this I think they could put on some good promos and even a good match.

However my problem actually comes with this legit heat between the two guys. From the promo we saw a while back with a face Miz and a heel Punk, it almost seemed like Punk wanted to bury Miz. Miz seems like the kind of face who could get cheers by making fun of people but if Punk tries to bury him then it really wont work. Punk's realism could make Miz look kind of silly if Punk doesn't play along with the Miz's promos and jokes. Punk would need to let the Miz make Punk look silly.

Dont get me wrong, when things get serious and they start attacking eachother etc. then this wont be a problem. Hell a little bit of heat can often add to this, but as long as they're willing to play the old good guy bad guy game the way its meant to be played then sure this could be a good match.

CM Punk vs. The Miz for the WWE Championship was actually my dream main event for WrestleMania when I found out WM29 was in my home state of NJ, but I can't stand Miz as a face and I can't stand Punk as a heel. Switch them back and this match would sell any PPV to me. There are some wrestlers I just don't feel work with one alignment or the other - I don't like CM Punk, Bret Hart, or Christian as heels, I don't like Miz, Alberto Del Rio, Randy Orton, or Mark Henry as faces, to name a few. Personally I actually find there to only be a handful of wrestlers who work equally well as a face or a heel - The Rock, Chris Jericho, Undertaker, Kane, Big Show, and Edge are the only ones I can think of off-hand.

Back to the topic, I'd love to see CM Punk vs. The Miz headline a PPV at some point in the near future, but I really don't think it would work as well if they maintain their present face/heel alignments.

No.

The Miz is limited in the ring when it comes to hanging with someone like CM Punk, and to me, there's not enough of a story that would mesh well unless you had Punk go after Miz coming from a reality show background and not the indy's like Punk did. That could work, but all that would do is bury Tough Enough.

So no, there's really no rhyme or reason to do any kind of rivalry.

I think that this could have the potential to be a good feud, but in order to do that, they need to make sure that Miz is actually over as a face. CM Punk is the perfect heel that could probably get the job done. Remember at T.L.C. 2011? Miz was in the match as a heel, and I thought that after Punk finished up his feud with Del Rio, he would move onto Miz, but obviously that never happened. I also personally think that both superstars would have good chemistry together. But WWE would have to take a chance, which is something they can do, just look at Del Rio's face turn...

In conclusion, I would like to see this feud, as it could probably get Miz more over as a face, and probably Punk as a heel.

In short no. Miz in no way shape or form is no where near punks level not even close. Plus Miz is a face and really not that good of a face at that IMO. Punk is super elevated right now and for him to face the miz be a huge step down. Punk even without the title is still hot right now.

I think Miz is fine in his feud with Cesaro but Miz should not feud with punk.

I immediately recalled that CM Punk wrestled the Miz at least twice in singles in 2011 so I looked it up. They wrestled on 8/29/11 and 10/17/11 which may have been taped on 10/15 as it was in Mexico. They may have wrestled in 2012, but I didn't bother looking into it. With that said, I don't recall them having the greatest ring chemistry, but they worked decently together. So them feuding doesn't excite me as the in-ring stuff matters most to me.

Miz is a modern day Honky Tonk Man, great mid card heel who gets such natural heat that he can lose matches without losing heat. This face turn is ill advised and putting him with Punk would hurt it more than help it as Punk still has a lot of crowd support even against the Rock, so against Miz it would be even stronger.

Yes. Punk is a top heel: The Miz is a top face. Makes complete sense. They are both fantastic speakers and the Miz is capable of working a match no matter what anyone says. It would be a solid feud. People saying no need to remember this for when we see the same main event 4 times in a row during the summer. This can be for a month or two and would be very good.

It has the potential to be an interesting feud. I don't buy into the whole "Miz is so limited" inside the ring arguments. It's true that he doesn't do a lot of flashy spots but, frankly, so what? Most guys don't. People want to hate on the guy, that's all well and good, but Miz's perceived shortcomings often get blown way out of proportion.

It's not really a feud that excites me at first mention. However, if CM Punk can take Ryback to another level, I see no reason why the same couldn't happen with The Miz.

Another thing to consider, and some people alluded to it is that now that Punk is a solidified "top guy" in the company and he knows that WWE has faith in him as a main eventer and to headline events, he shouldn't have a problem putting over some others. He knows his time will come again and pretty much all the greats have put some people over. SO, if WWE does have faith in Miz and they want to take him back to the main event scene, a feud with Punk would be the quickest way to get him back over.

this feud would've been gold about 8 months back before they both turned, but now it's not as good as it would've been. Miz is still great on the mic, but his character isn't what people would call likeable. he still acts like the arrogant heel, the crowd does get behind his promos when he says "really" or "i'm awesome" but other than that, they don't seem into him as a face. as for Punk, he's great as a face or a heel or a tweener. he could help make this feud work, but it also seems like a step down for Punk as he would be feuding with a guy who recently has been working with the US Champion. I think he should work with another top face, and then when the time is right, have him take the WWE title from Cena. anyways, to end, a Miz and Punk feud COULD work, but they would have to show that Miz is a main eventer again somehow as a feud with Miz could seem like a step down. now the in ring work should be fine as Punk can work a match and Miz isn't so awful that he would drag him down. Miz isn't a great in ring wrestler, but he can work a decent match and if his opponent is great in the ring, then the two should be fine.

miz is feuding with cesaro. cm punk is far step up.especially considering miz will probably lose to cesaro.
It is a feud i expect to see sometime in the next couple years. just not anytime soon.

Oh God no, this is worse then Cena vs Rock, and this is comming from a CM Punk fan. At the worst case scenario Punk should face Lesnar after Mania (because he will be face if this happens , and he rather stay heel) but dunno, i wish he will be chasing the WWE championship, not fighting Miz or Ryback.

Maybe if the roles were reversed and Punk was still a face and Miz was a heel.

But after that poor exchange they had a couple of months back on RAW where Punk had to take a lie detector test, I already know I won't like it. I'm sure both men can put on a great match, but I don't think they can sell this feud.

I am not a fan of this new face turn by The Miz. They are having him try too hard to suck up to the crowd and try to be funny. They need to somehow take the cocky arrogance of his heel run and incorporate it into his face persona. Because I don't think I can deal with him much longer as a face.

I definitely see where you are coming from but while feuding with Punk would elevate the Miz, it would be too much of a step down for Punk who is a main event talent. He would have to drop to the upper mid card to feud with The Miz. My answer is NO.

It could work, it could do a lot of good within WWE if it was played properly. Punk and Miz are in different places on the card right now, so this would be an exercise in bridging that gap between midcard championship status and the main event level. I think most of the replies seem to ignore the questions posed in the OP, so I'll try to answer them.

1) Would this be an interesting storyline?
Yes, it would be for a number of reasons. CM Punk and The Miz started off in WWECW and were 2 of the main reasons to watch the show. They were both drafted up to Raw and Smackdown around the same time, and quickly populated the upper midcard and eventually main event. Both wrestlers have had high profile feuds with John Cena, and both men are among the few current wrestlers to have a match with The Rock. Regarding the face/heel configuration, I do believe that both men are playing against their strengths. Miz is a natural heel, and Punk is one of the most popular wrestlers in WWE. I think the feud really has legs when you notice that, Punk could play heel this go around, and later on Miz could revert to his unlikable persona. Right now though, I think Punk is stronger as a heel and The Miz really needs to work harder at channeling his idol, The Rock, when it comes to getting crowd support. Miz definitely can do it.

2) What did you think of my booking?
Using Flair as a way to get the two angry at each other is a great idea. Flair, Punk and Miz involved in the same program would lead to some amazing promos. The challenge would be continuing the mentor relationship between Flair and Miz. Flair would have to appear legitimately intent on teaching the Miz the ways of Stylin' and Profilin'. He can't just drop by and give Miz pats on the back occasionally, he has to become Miz's manager. I know it worked out poorly for AJ Styles, but Miz has the "it" factor to make this work.

3) How would you book it?
First, I would have The Miz win the US Title from Cesaro at 'Mania, thanks to an assist from Flair at ringside. Cesaro would exit the ring to catch his breath near the end, and confront Flair who responds with a low blow. Flair rolls him in the ring so Miz can lock on the Figure 4 for a submission win. Later on in the same night, I'd have CM Punk lose to Undertaker and appear to learn a lesson in humility. On the next Raw, Miz celebrates his US Champinoship win with Flair on Miz TV, and Flair would unveil a new US Title (why not?) right before Punk comes out and interrupts to set up the feud. Some might consider a US Championship program a step down for Punk, but a title is a title and I think feuding over one is better than feuding with no title. I would play on the beating Miz took from Lesnar, since Punk is affiliated with Heyman. Their Extreme Rules/Over the Limit match could possibly feature Flair in Miz's corner and Heyman in Punk's. The more I think of it, the better the whole thing is sounding and I acutally am a little excited for a future Punk/Miz feud down the line.

First, I will have to ask how far into the research did you go? Because Miz and Punk had a far better match at Cyber Sunday in 2008 for the ECW Championship when CM Punk was still ECW Champion. Quite frankly, that's the match that started getting me to become a Miz fan.

Second, I don't really think a rivalry between those two would work too well. CM Punk is light years ahead of The Miz, and that's saying something. Miz may be one of those guys that grabs media attention, but CM Punk is absolutely golden in the ring and on the microphone. He's been in some of the best and worst situations, and still made them come out great. CM Punk would just flat out embarrass Miz in a rivalry, and that's not what WWE needs to do with Miz at this point. Sorry, but that's just how it is.

First, I will have to ask how far into the research did you go? Because Miz and Punk had a far better match at Cyber Sunday in 2008 for the ECW Championship when CM Punk was still ECW Champion. Quite frankly, that's the match that started getting me to become a Miz fan.

Second, I don't really think a rivalry between those two would work too well. CM Punk is light years ahead of The Miz, and that's saying something. Miz may be one of those guys that grabs media attention, but CM Punk is absolutely golden in the ring and on the microphone. He's been in some of the best and worst situations, and still made them come out great. CM Punk would just flat out embarrass Miz in a rivalry, and that's not what WWE needs to do with Miz at this point. Sorry, but that's just how it is.

Actually it was 2007, but that doesn't excuse my poor research.

As far as Punk outshining Miz, remember his feud with Ryback? Ryback was somebody who had never been in the main event, never cut a live promo, and the angle itself was a booking nightmare anyway because of The Rock - yet it elevated Ryback to the point where even now some people question whether or not he should have won the title at Hell In A Cell. In terms of selling a main event feud, Miz is far more established and experienced than Ryback, so I see no reason why he couldn't be elevated by Punk rather than buried. Nice to have a reasonable, well thought out debate with someone rather than those who just say "God no!" though.

This isn't a bad idea but it wouldn't work until these two are both at an even level. Miz is just too far down on the card right now but in the future maybe.

Also I think they had a few matches in ECW aside from cyber sunday. I remember because the Miz got a win even after JoMo was ejected from ringside but I couldn't tell you the date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back