CM Punk vs. John Cena: 'Mania Will Suffer From Its Absence

Uncle Sam

Rear Naked Bloke
Well, I'd have liked the full title to be "Punk vs. Cena - 'Mania Will Suffer From Its Absence and Really, Who Wants to See Cena vs. Miz and Orton vs. Punk?" but that larked a certain snap. A certain crackle. A certain pop.

With what happened at the Rumble - and on RAW the following night - I think we can safely assume that Cena will be facing Miz, Punk will be facing Cena and the Punk/Cena program that we were all looking forward to has been unceremoniously dropped. So, essentially, the participants of what would have been one great match have now been separated and slotted into two that will, at best, "exceed expectations".

Punk and Cena, as has been mentioned countless times, have tremendous chemistry with one another. Their recent match on RAW was concrete evidence of this. I can say with some certainty that Punk/Cena is the match that would have stolen the show. It's main event material, easily.

Instead, Cena will be facing Miz, the most overrated wrestler of 2010, and Punk will be facing Orton, whose slow and methodical style is comparable to an aggressive testicle examination. They're the sort of matches that I'd barely give a look in if they were on something like Over The Limit.

I'm going around in circles now but you see what I'm getting at.

It's certainly a shame in one respect because as an athlete, Punk was proven as one guy to get the best out of Cena in the ring meaning their match at mania, had it of happened, would have almost certainly been one of cena's best. The other guy I remember doing so was Chris Jericho on a Raw show about 6 months ago.

I'm 1000% with you on Miz and Cena. I don't like Miz as a performer in any respect. He does enough to get by in the ring so mic work ought to be his redeeming factor but for me it isn't. Miz gets cheap heat by me, as in it's not what he says that gets people riled it's the way he says it. It's like listening to Vickie Guerrero bellow out "EXCUSE ME" or Cole chirping "AND I QUOTE", they aren't making people dislike them like a talented mic technician such as chris jericho or CM Punk does, by clever words and implying the audience is inferior to themselves, it's the child-like delivery. The way Miz mouths every words identically to the way he did the week before. Some say this is just what the Rock did, the Rock had way more innovation on the mic, he could run a 10 minute segement just as well as a thirty second one. And to top it all off he is quite frankly bland in the ring. I need to cut short this Miz rant or it'll dominate my piece.

OK so Cena = good talker + entertainer + decent worker + bad wrestler. Miz = decent worker + decent wrestler + average talker + poor entertainer. For me this match just shouts out under par, I don't wanna see it, it won't make me watch mania and I'll probably not even pay attention to the match when it's on in all likelihood.

Punk and Orton on the other hand is a different matter. I do find this one interesting. I think Punk can make pretty much anything work if given the right angle. His feud with Rey lasy year should have been average, in fact it was one of the more intriguing ones on the card because of Punk's work beforehand. And people may not like or find orton interesting as he currently is, I can sympathise with that but he is a good wrestler and Punk is a good wrestler. And if you find him stale, just allow Punk to make him interesting again. I suppose punk and cena would have been a better matter but anything done against cena is bigger and better but I'm still fairly satisfied this one. Besides it would otherwise be Miz against Orton and Sam judging by your sentiments in the OP, I'm guessing you'd rather that didn't go on any longer.

One puzzling thing is the way they were starting to set everything up, Cena and Punk were starting to take off and all of a sudden Cena is satisfied with his retribution on Punk because he eliminated him from the rumble? That doesn't sound like the same Cena who dumped a hodgepodge of chairs on Barrett's head for the same offence as Punk layed onto him. It's almost feels like whatever was going on before rumble just stopped and Orton and Cena randomly and silently decided to switch opponents.

For me Cena ought to have unfinished business with punk despite Miz eliminating him, and Orton hasn't repayed Miz for smashing him through the barrier amongst other things. The opponent switch feels a little bit last minute and Miz against Cena is going to bore me half to death I predict. I can only assume they really want Miz over, and pairing him with John is the way to go. Still seems odd in an era when everyone is searching for "the last remaining mania dream matches", Punk and Cena may not have been one, but the alternative is practically ordinary, and not Wrestlemania worthy.

so basically because u dont like miz or orton u think there matches are going to suck? um ok......

look the cena v new nexus and punk ended when cena destroyed nexus in the rumble. he eliminated every member, including punk. he got his revenge. end of story.

and if cena v punk had continued then what would u do with miz and the wwe title? have orton continue to face miz even though miz has beet him multiple times already? ok he cheated but he still won, so no.

i dont really understand ur logic. ur telling me punk/orton isnt a main event material match up? really? ur whole premise is that miz is overrated and orton is slow. so lets put the two people you dont think are any good in a mania match? i dont think so.

I am certainly disappointed that Cena vs Punk will not be the main event of WrestleMania from the looks of it. It was a fantastic storyline. Punk claims himself to be the most morally correct person on this planet and that is why he is questioning the morals of the guy whom the crowd think is the most morally correct. I do not think that such a storyline has ever been attempted before and I was certainly looking forward to see how it would progress.

Orton vs Punk would probably be an OK match. But I doubt if the WWE can come up with a storyline to rival the Punk/ Cena storyline. Already there has been no explanation as to why Punk attacked Orton in his title match. Most people are saying that the WWE will probably go with the fact that Orton punted Punk in 2008 and that Punk does not forget the people who have wronged him. But if that is the case, then I wonder why Punk did not go after Orton the moment he formed Nexus. Had he forgotten about the issue?

I am not at all interested in seeing Miz vs Cena. It'll be the same old shit about Cena being the number one contender post Elimination Chamber and Miz telling him that how everyone thought he was shit but now he has proved that he deserves to be named among the best. Been there done that.

I truly believe that Punk vs Cena could have been a revolutionary feud, at least story wise. I don't think that either Punk/ Orton or Cena/ Miz will come close to that. But I think that it has probably been done to even out the card.

I wouldn't necessarily say that it would be a waste not having these two square off. While I'll admit that I would definitely prefer to watch John Cena vs CM Punk rather than John Cena vs The Miz and Randy Orton vs CM Punk for example, I still have to admit I wouldn't say that Wrestlemania in itself would suffer from it. Especially considering it would leave Randy Orton with anything to do unless they'd insist on having Randy Orton vs The Miz once again, and I doubt that.

For now, I'm a little torn what will actually happen, seeing as to how WWE seems to be launching Punk and Nexus in a feud with Randy Orton, and they somehow seem to be teasing John Cena vs The Miz as well.

I mean, in the end I wouldn't be surprised to see John Cena being thrown into a WWE championship match, and obviously they seem to be wanting to keep the belt on The Miz.

But for now, I'll remain neutral as to what exactly will happen, and I'll let me opinion flow on the matches when they're actually announced.

What did everyone expect? It was reported months ago that Miz vs Cena for the gold was pencilled in for Wrestlemania. Suprised? No. Dissapointed? Yes.

WWE loves their top dog in a Title Match at Wrestlemania. Dont believe me? When was the last time John Cena wasnt involved in a Title Match at Wrestlemania? NEVER. All 7 he has had a title match and 6 of those he has won. Only Orton has beaten him in a Triple Threat.

HBK, Triple H, Big Show, Batista, JBL and Edge/Big Show all fallen foul to him. CM Punk would of been a nice addition to the card, Undertaker would be even better (if the storyline started months ago). We will have to wait for that one though. Maybe at WM28...

Personally, I'm still not feeling the Miz as champion or as a top star in the WWE. I don't like him in that position based off the traits he has, and I feel his reign so far as champion has been VERY lackluster. But, this isn't about me being a fan or not being a fan of the Miz. What it is about is the fact that I feel John Cena vs. CM Punk is a main event level match for WrestleMania, especially with the storyline happening right now with the whole Nexus and Punk's character. John Cena vs. the Miz isn't a main event level match for WrestleMania to me.

I think they should get the title off the Miz and I would've much preferred to see John Cena vs. CM Punk for the WWE Championship at WrestleMania in doing so. Not to mention they could've had the Miz vs. Orton at WrestleMania (not for the title preferably) and it would've actually been more interesting as it could've been built up so that Randy Orton FINALLY would get his revenge against the Miz, who not only cost him and took away his championship but has gotten the one up on him over the past few months in defending his title against Orton. It would've been perfect to culminate that feud with Orton finally winning on the biggest stage of the year. Months of build up to that moment.

So yes, knowing its going to be John Cena vs. the Miz at WrestleMania doesn't interest me at all, and I find it disappointing. The feuds going into WrestleMania could've been so much better the other way around.

I have read for a very long time that Miz and Cena were main eventing wrestlemania and I have not been happy about it this whole time. I love Miz, he is my favorite wrestler but he certainly is, very overated. I don't think he should be in the Main event this year unless it is with someone like Morrison who he great chemistry with. We have seen Miz and Cena many times before and none were to exciting. Cena has wrestled Punk once and it ended in a disqaulification. Punk should have won the Royal Rumble and Cena could win at EC in a EC title match with Miz involved. That would set up Cena/Punk and I think they could have an awesome Wrestlemania caliber match. I have been wanting to see this feud ever since the summer of 09, when Punk turned heel. I think they have a lot of chemistry from there promos and would put on a great match. To bad it won't happen. Maybe next year. Ugh.

so basically because u dont like miz or orton u think there matches are going to suck? um ok......

Essentially. I don't see the problem there. To make it easier on you, I'll just rearrange your own sentence. Because Miz and Orton's matches suck, I don't like them and, based on this precedent of poor matches, I predict that their matches will be bad or - at the very best - woefully beneath the tier that CM Punk/John Cena would have been.

look the cena v new nexus and punk ended when cena destroyed nexus in the rumble. he eliminated every member, including punk. he got his revenge. end of story.

That wasn't the least bit rushed or underwhelming. No, sir.

i dont really understand ur logic. ur telling me punk/orton isnt a main event material match up? really? ur whole premise is that miz is overrated and orton is slow. so lets put the two people you dont think are any good in a mania match? i dont think so.

Yes, because that's what I said. That's what has to happen, seeing as the WWE doesn't put a pay-per-view between the Rumble and WrestleMania perfectly designed for new feuds and title reigns to be easily established. Oh, if only they did that, it would be you and not I that looks like a presumptuous fool. If only there were some sort of chamber where, uh, people got eliminated or something. Alas, 'tis but a pipe dream.

WM27 wont suffer if CM punk dont fight Cena because Sting will be at WM. Sting is coming on Febuary 21st trust me folks. That 2-21-11 video has Sting written all over it.

and if cena v punk had continued then what would u do with miz and the wwe title? have orton continue to face miz even though miz has beet him multiple times already? ok he cheated but he still won, so no.

You're missing the whole point of what Sam is saying.

Whether he's a fan of Orton/Miz is irrelevant. The fact is, neither puts on an interesting match. Does Punk facing Cena mean that Orton HAS to fight Miz at Mania? No. But Punk/Cena is the match that everyone wants.

Miz is ok, very good on the mic, bad in the ring. I have not seen one interesting Miz match in his entire career, not one. And he's going to headling ania against the top guy? Boring. Punk/Cena could have been a classic. Punk can pull a classic out of anyone so his match with Orton could be good but I'm not looking forward to it. I hate Orton in the ring. And his mic work is always the same, and it's terrible so the promos between the two won't be good either. No emotion, heel bad mouths Randy. Orton responds with a threat, RKO. It's always the same and I don't wanna see Punk's talents wasted on this.

However, I know exactly why this is happening.

Miz/Cena is happening because Vince loves Miz, wants him to be the next face of WWE so he's putting him in a Mania match with Cena, I get it.

Orton/Punk, Vince thinks he can capitalize on the most over face and most over heel in a Mania match. Again, I get it. Let's face it, Orton marks (and there's a lot of them) love his matches. For what reason I'll never know, but they do. Even if he gets dominated for 20 minutes, all he has to do is his the middle rope DDT, pound his fists on the mat and hit an RKO and there's your biggest pop of the night, it's ridiculous.

So I understand why Vince has chosen this route but I agree with the OP, the lack of Punk v. Cena for the Title will sorely be missed.

I agree with a lot of this. I really wanted to see Cena/Punk at WrestleMania. Though the Nexus/Cena storyline went stale - in my opinion - around November, the addition of CM Punk brought new life to it. I thought it was ridiculous that the WWE started to build a really good, intriguing fued between Cena and Punk, and then used 30-seconds worth of RR in-ring time for the payoff. Really WWE? That was the grand plan of injecting life into the Cena/Nexus storyline? Awesome.

The reason I wanted to see Cena/Punk wasn't necessarily for the match quality. It was because of the story quality. CM Punk is the single-most interesting character the WWE has produced in a very long time. His self-righteous attitude plays off perfectly with Cena's do-gooder attitude - and it would have been very interesting to see those layers intersect.

I saw the same character/storyline dynamic in the feud between Bret Hart and Steve Austin back in 96-97. Hart was the do-gooder that could do no wrong in the eyes of the fans. Austin was the attitude that brought out the aggression in Hart. What resulted was one of the best matches in WrestleMania history ... made great not just by the in-ring performance of the two me ... but by the crowd that couldn't decide who they wanted to cheer for.

Cena/Punk had the potential to be just as epic, in my eyes.

I'm just not buying into the argument. What it seems to boil down to, for all intents and purposes, is that people are hating on The Miz and simply refuse to give the man any credit for anything. The idea that The Miz can't have an interesting match is ridiculous because all you have to do is look at the numbers for Raw since Miz has been champ. I'm not saying that Miz has helped break records or anything to that degree, but Raw has been putting up solid to great numbers since Miz won the title. The Miz as champ has got people talking, whether you like him or not. There's been more interest generated in the main event picture on Raw in the past 2 months than in the past 2 years and, like it or not, The Miz being champion is the reason why.

I'd love to see CM Punk vs. John Cena at WM, but the writing for John Cena to go to WM and be in the WWE Championship picutre has already been on the wall for months. Punk's been out for months rehabing leg injuries and has only now just started to get back into the swing of things, so it's not surprising that Punk wasn't just tossed into the WWE Championship picture against Cena or Orton in the first place. I know that Cena will probably win the title back at WrestleMania, but I love the idea of Cena being involved in feuds that don't revolve around the WWE Championship. Quite frankly, I'm tired of seeing John Cena in the WWE Championship scene and I know that I'm certainly not the only one. Also, Cena is still the biggest name in wrestling right now. He's the WWE's biggest star so the idea of your biggest star not being involved in a World Championship match for the biggest wrestling show of the year is not the least bit realistic. There's a good chance that Punk & Cena might wind up feuding for the title after things with Miz has settled down and it should be fun. But circumstances being what they are, Punk vs. Cena just doesn't have the payoff that Cena vs. Miz does. As I said, people can hate on Miz all they want but to suggest that he can't generate interest for this match is bullshit in my view.

I'm just not buying into the argument. What it seems to boil down to, for all intents and purposes, is that people are hating on The Miz and simply refuse to give the man any credit for anything. The idea that The Miz can't have an interesting match is ridiculous because all you have to do is look at the numbers for Raw since Miz has been champ. I'm not saying that Miz has helped break records or anything to that degree, but Raw has been putting up solid to great numbers since Miz won the title. The Miz as champ has got people talking, whether you like him or not. There's been more interest generated in the main event picture on Raw in the past 2 months than in the past 2 years and, like it or not, The Miz being champion is the reason why.

I'd love to see CM Punk vs. John Cena at WM, but the writing for John Cena to go to WM and be in the WWE Championship picutre has already been on the wall for months. Punk's been out for months rehabing leg injuries and has only now just started to get back into the swing of things, so it's not surprising that Punk wasn't just tossed into the WWE Championship picture against Cena or Orton in the first place. I know that Cena will probably win the title back at WrestleMania, but I love the idea of Cena being involved in feuds that don't revolve around the WWE Championship. Quite frankly, I'm tired of seeing John Cena in the WWE Championship scene and I know that I'm certainly not the only one. Also, Cena is still the biggest name in wrestling right now. He's the WWE's biggest star so the idea of your biggest star not being involved in a World Championship match for the biggest wrestling show of the year is not the least bit realistic. There's a good chance that Punk & Cena might wind up feuding for the title after things with Miz has settled down and it should be fun. But circumstances being what they are, Punk vs. Cena just doesn't have the payoff that Cena vs. Miz does. As I said, people can hate on Miz all they want but to suggest that he can't generate interest for this match is bullshit in my view.

I'm not saying that there can't be any interest in it, interest is built on the legs of a promo and Miz and Cena will deliver great promos leading up to WM. I'm concerned for the match quality.

I'm a Miz fan but my eyes don't decieve me, he's not that good in the ring and like I stated, I haven't seen one great Miz match, the closest being his Night of Champions match with DB but it was nowhere near a classic. Punk/Cena would generate so much more in my opinion.

Someone gave the Austin/Hart comparison. That's perfect. Make the fans choose who to cheer for. Some people love Cena and some love to hate him. A story that was already written and now with 6 weeks of promos leading to a great fight would have been huge and having it happen over the summer after a Miz/Cena story is concluded is going to fall short of what it could have been.

Cena vs. Miz is definitely not something I'm interested in seeing. Miz isn't a top-notch wrestler, and I can't recall the last time Cena was able to carry someone like him through a match. Cena is at his best (surprise, surprise) when he's wrestling someone of equal or greater talent.

That being said, I am excited for Punk/Orton. Punk is loved by just about every internet smark on the planet, and I'm definitely in line with that. However, Orton is not..as of late. Personally, I love his slow, methodical style. His approach is refreshing in a day and age where the Kofi Kingston's of the world have no clue what in-ring psychology is all about. Is Orton's style something everyone is going to like? No, it's much slower than someone like Cena, so it's understandable some have become bored with it.

But the Cena/Nexus feud is played out. It's gone on since before Summerslam, and even with the addition of Punk, it wasn't much different from when Barrett was in charge. I agree Punk and Cena could have a great match at Mania, but the feud leading up to it would be awfully boring, in my opinion.

You are dead on right but it wasn't going to happen anyway. It would've been Cena vs Punk/Nexus and though it would be good it would not be one on one Cena vs Punk (that's a lot of would right?:blush:). As of right now I'm not buying No Way Out 2011 (that's right) and if Cena/Miz and Orton/Punk/Nexus is set for WM I won't get that either. Cena and Miz will be somewhere between Cena/Batista and Vince/Bret in terms of match quality. They both got to where they not by becoming better wrestlers (Miz went from unwatchable to acceptable) but by doing as many public appearences as possible and lick "Boot". Even if I found a spoiler that said there was a double turn and Miz overcame supercena and made him tap out with his own move I still wouldn't buy WM. As for Orton and Punk, no one match is gonna make me buy PPVs anymore, the Rumble this year taught me that.

For shame Vince, Steph, WWE, for shame. :disappointed:

I'm disappointed that they didn't run this angle to Mania. It was something fresh for Cena and the storyline had actual substance to it, plus they showed great in ring chemistry in their Raw match.

Personally I don't like face convict Orton very much and I don't think he will gel as well with Punk as a natural face like Cena, and I have zero interest in the Miz vs Cena match from an angle or in ring standpoint.

I agree.

I don't know the reason but as Sam said , these two seem to have more than enough chemistry.Their promos together were great and their last two matches , one at summer when Nexus debuted and the recent one , were the best matches I've seen from them in last year.

I think Cena vs. Punk for title in a no DQ match could be Austin vs. Hart II , but Miz vs. Cena ,well I think It won't be as good as last year's Cena vs. Batista , But I wish I'm wrong.

As long As what orton would be doing , I would draft him to Smackdown and book him to win WHC to face Alberrrto Del RRRio.Miz could screw with Lawler and be the perosn to "retire" him.

But the good news is that Both Cena and Punk are still rising and are way far away from their careers end so we can hopefully wait for Cena vs. Punk WM match in future.

Wrestlemania is generally where fueds will be settled, so why not have a triple threat match, between Cena, Punk and Barrett? lets face it, Cena does not like either of these guys, Barrett feels betrayed by Nexus so what better way to resolve that than taking out the new leader.

This in my opinion is a good option for WM but i doubt it would work, WWE most probably want Cena to headline again as he is the "face" of the company.

If you look at the rumoured WM card there could be anything up to around 12 matches. That seems ALOT!

Why dont they make it a Fatal 4-way for the WWE Title. Miz/Cena/Orton/Punk. I would much rather see this than 2 single matches. I know WWE dont like gimmick matches for the Title at WM...but they did it in 2000 and they did it again a few years ago with a Triple threat. It makes sense if you ask me.

After last weeks Raw my view that Cena vs Punk should have been the Wrestlemania main event was reinforced.

Their storyline is excellent and their characters play off each other really well, they have great chemistry in the ring and Punk is the best heel in the business. I would have found a way to get the belt on him in order to set up the WWE title match between him and Cena at the big one.

Its a shame that we are not going see this match any longer. The build and the hype would have been something prodigious. The WWE Championship is not a necessity in this fued, it has more than enough back-story and it does not need the strap. The card should look something like Miz vs Morrison for the WWE Championship (this way they can elevate both men and give them their Mania moment) and Cena vs Punk can be the main attraction, at least for RAW.

However, we can only say if only, if only. But we need to watch what the WWE give us Wrestlemania before we cast our judgement.

Punk's been out for months rehabing leg injuries and has only now just started to get back into the swing of things, so it's not surprising that Punk wasn't just tossed into the WWE Championship picture against Cena or Orton in the first place.
I don't get it. If the January returns of Cena, Edge, and Triple H in years gone by tell me anything, it's that returning headliners at or around the Royal Rumble get a main event title shot. If anything, what's happening with Punk right now breaks the trend.

As for this move making Mania suffer... I don't know. I don't really like Miz, but he's been pushed like a star. Meanwhile, Punk has floundered with Nexus and for the most part failed to live up to his sterling reputation since his return. I still think Punk would put on a better match, but Miz might be more likely to generate crowd interest at this point. And that might make the difference. Cena vs. Punk would be a good match, but Punk isn't well regarded enough by fans or management for it to be a HUGE match. Depending on the build, Cena vs. Miz might be HUGE. That can't hurt Mania, can it? I certainly don't think so.

From a workrate standpoint, yeah it probably hurts the show a bit because Punk could simply put on a better match with Cena. But, the problem is that we've already seen this match on tv several times in the past month or so. A lot of the non internet fans aren't going to want to pay 60 bones to watch another Punk vs Cena match. However, a significant number of them would likely love to see Cena crush Miz once and for all, so I see why they're going this route.

Im calling it right now, they are going to do a 3 way dance with Cena, Punk, and Miz IMO.

They have been planting seeds for a fued with Cena vs Miz and Cena vs Punk for a little bit now. On last raw they had some interaction between Miz and Punk.

I say they keep going in that direction, either there is a screwjob finish in the elimination chamber or something happens that will set this up.

Taker vs HHH with HBK as special guest ref
Cena vs Miz vs Punk
Edge vs Del Rio

WM 27 is taking shape

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo