CM Punk vs Brock Lesnar Summerslam 2013

LBGetBack

Championship Contender
Just watched this event and match for the first time. I was following at the time, but did not watch that event. Maybe Im remembering it wrong but I could've sworn that the IWC narrative on that match was negative.

I loved that match! I had forgotten who won, so the uncertainty was part of it. It's hard to believe that just a few years ago Lesnar actually took bumps and performed more moves than supplexes, F-5's, and shoulders to the midsection in the corner. He actually wrestled matches. I miss it.

Abyway, one of my favorite aspects of the Network is coming upon great matches that aren't the same matches that everyone hypes over and over and that I've already seen. This was a lot of fun to watch for the first time.

It's indeed a very good match. And to my knowledge, it was well-received by most people. I guess that it was even Match Of The Year candidate.

Brock Lesnar was way more interesting when he wasn't doing just two moves and squashing his opponents. The highly competitive matches >> Squashes. The former never gets old while the latter gets boring and stale soon.

It's indeed a very good match. And to my knowledge, it was well-received by most people. I guess that it was even Match Of The Year candidate.

Brock Lesnar was way more interesting when he wasn't doing just two moves and squashing his opponents. The highly competitive matches >> Squashes. The former never gets old while the latter gets boring and stale soon.

Hmm, I must be remembering wrong. Or were people mad that Punk lost maybe?

Either way, I was pleasantly surprised to come upon a great match that I had never seen and that I hadn't heard a ton of hype about.

I had problems with Brock losing to Cena and HHH(twice I think?) in his first few years back, but the matches were so much better. The first Cena suplex city squash was cool, but the format of his matches has really run its course now.

Yeah I recall most people being happy with the match other than Brock actually needing Heyman to win. Punk definitely laid the blueprint for having a smaller guy going up against Lesnar in his current form. Another reason the Ambrose/Lesnar match was such a colossal disappointment. We saw what can happen when it's done right.

Easily the best match Lesnar has had since returning, with a great tag line.

Punk used the stipulations to perfection, including a rather epic dick punch, showing throughout the match (and feud) that he was smarter than Brock, only to lose his focus by allowing his anger at Heyman to distract him.

It was easily my Match of the Year.

I too suspect you're mis-remembering. I recall a positive reception to the match. If anything, perhaps the match might have been outshined by Bryan vs Cena, but that's pretty subjective.

Gotta say, too, because it shared a card with the two matches above, Christian vs del Rio is not remembered as fondly as it should be. Outstanding match, yet still the third from best on the card.

I too suspect you're mis-remembering. I recall a positive reception to the match. If anything, perhaps the match might have been outshined by Bryan vs Cena, but that's pretty subjective.

Gotta say, too, because it shared a card with the two matches above, Christian vs del Rio is not remembered as fondly as it should be. Outstanding match, yet still the third from best on the card.

Yes, most people forget about Christian/Del Rio for the WHC that same night. For me, this was a great PPV as CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, and Christian were 3 of my favorites at the time. So to see all 3 in the top 3 matches of SummerSlam was pretty cool.

As for the Punk/Lesnar match itself, it was not only MOTN, but also MOTY for me. I remember a lot of praise for the match when it happened But hey, that was like 3.5 years ago already, so it's all good. Wow, can't believe Punk has already been gone for over 3 years now. Seems like it was just yesterday when all the reports came out that he left...

As somebody mentioned above, I really expected the Ambrose/Lesnar match to be very similar to this as it really could've made Ambrose a true main event star, even with a loss. Oh well.

It was being overshadowed by Bryan/Cena and what was going on after but everybody thought it was good match. I liked the tagline "The Best vs The Beast" and whole match was very good and even though Punk lost he looked like million dollars there.

I've never seen a CM Punk match since 2009, but i thought people had a positive reaction to the match..

As others have said, I recall the reaction to the match being extremely positive and was the last great match CM Punk had before walking out of WWE on the post Royal Rumble Raw the next January. This was also before they started using the formula that so many detest now and before Lesnar got so lazy; you know, Lesnar doing little more than a German Suplex while the wrestlers sell each one of them as if they've just been doing 90+ in a head on collision into a brick wall.

During this time period, I thought Lesnar was worth the attention and money he was getting as he was actually involved in competitive wrestling matches rather than glorified squashes that made damn near everyone on the roster look like scrubs.

Some people shit all over the outcome but they were generally high on the quality of the match. The word 'bury' was used unnecessarily.

People is dum

I remember going into work the next day, and my co-workers who are WWE fans happened to skip that event for whatever reason but they were anxious to hear about what happened.

The only match I remembered well enough to give them a decent description of was Punk vs Lesnar.

I can still remember one spot, where I'm not sure if it was planned or an accident. Brock powerbombed Punk, but Punk didn't get his arms out to brace for the impact so he ended up getting slammed onto the ribs of his back.

I remember it as a great match during a great event.

I loved this match and think that it stands among both CM Punk's and Lesnar's best. It was well-structured and somewhat believable, with Punk doing the "stick and move" and he kept taking a beating and coming back for more. I also liked that Punk lost because he got distracted by Heyman and Lesnar took advantage. I really thought the whole angle was well done, and that match capped it off well.

Punk/Lesnar from Summerslam 2013 was amazing. I absolutely LOVED that feud and the match was the perfect ending for it. I thought it was a textbook way to do big man/little man matches and wrestlers should be studying tapes of it in years to come. It's the best match Lesnar has had since his return in 2012 and possibly in his career, while Punk's list of great matches will have this one near the top too.

this match confirmed in Punks mind that he deserved to headline Wrestlemania 30. When news filtered Batista was returning and getting that spot, Punk finally had enough. History shows him leaving actually opened the door for Daniel Bryan's story to be redirected and told correctly for the greatest Mania moment of all time

If WWE wanted Lesnar to end Undertaker's streak at WM30 Punk should have gone over at Summer Slam. The reason being is that it wasn't even a convincing win for Lesnar anyways since he needed Heyman's interference to win.

Also Lesnar from his 2012 debut until before Wrestlemania XXX his return was sort of a flop. He lost to Cena, lost to Triple H, and had to beat Triple H with a low blow.

I actually thought his win over taker at WMXXX was a reboot for him, and a successful one at that but before that Lesnar's return was kind of a wash and a win for Punk would have benefited CM Punk greatly while Lesnar gets his WM30 reboot.

If WWE wanted Lesnar to end Undertaker's streak at WM30 Punk should have gone over at Summer Slam. The reason being is that it wasn't even a convincing win for Lesnar anyways since he needed Heyman's interference to win.

Also Lesnar from his 2012 debut until before Wrestlemania XXX his return was sort of a flop. He lost to Cena, lost to Triple H, and had to beat Triple H with a low blow.

I actually thought his win over taker at WMXXX was a reboot for him, and a successful one at that but before that Lesnar's return was kind of a wash and a win for Punk would have benefited CM Punk greatly while Lesnar gets his WM30 reboot.

I agree. Though Brock's matches before the "reboot" were far better. He actually still had matches and not just suplex squashes.

But there was zero good reason for HHH to beat Brock at that point, and having Cena beat him in his first match back was terrible too, even though the match was awesome.

I think this was one of his last matches before the suplex city garbage? Yeah it was an amazing match. When Brock actually has matches he is great, but lately he seems to like to do the bare minimum much to the chagrin of fans. Joe vs Lesnar could even be better than this match if they let it.

I think this was one of his last matches before the suplex city garbage? Yeah it was an amazing match. When Brock actually has matches he is great, but lately he seems to like to do the bare minimum much to the chagrin of fans. Joe vs Lesnar could even be better than this match if they let it.
Yes before suplex city. The suplexes started against Undertaker and then took off to a high limit against Cena at next year's Summerslam. The match with Joe could be good but I don't have high expectations considering Lesnar's matches nowadays.

Nowadays he's just a man of two moves. :shrug:

Punk vs Lesnar was awesome, and Lesnar winning by the skin of his teeth was a brilliant story told by both. Ditto Taker going over Punk with plenty of trouble really made Punk. No wonder he was shitty that they werent going to use his momentum into the main event at Mania 30 that he apparently had been promised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back