Brock Lesnar and Goldberg

Dragon Chief

Exodus 3:14
When people think of two mega stars in one era or two faces of the company, some names come to mind. Names like Hulk Hogan and Ultimate Warrior, Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels, The Rock and Steve Austin, Batista and John Cena. Whenever these two mega stars collided, usually a few times in their respective eras, it was always a spectacle despite the quality of the match itself. This was no different than when Brock Lesnar and Goldberg were the two mega stars in the WWE in 2003.

Although, unlike the rest of the wrestlers above Brock Lesnar and Goldberg's tenure in the WWE was short but both men put on very memorable matches that showcased their athleticism and intensity.

What are your opinions of the year 2003 in the WWE and how do you think Brock Lesnar and Goldberg did as the faces of the WWE during that year? Also, what is your opinion on this rivalry in general?

In my opinion, Brock Lesnar and Goldberg's run in the WWE in 2003 was very enjoyable and I believe both men filled the void left in the WWE when Steve Austin and The Rock were no longer active wrestlers. They showcased a more aggressive and realistic style of wrestling and brought an unmatched intensity with them in each of their matches. I only wished these two would have stayed in the WWE longer and put on more big matches.

20161026_Match_SurvivorSeries_GoldBergBrock_2K--77ab1cb06956f526f26eb7826b72ca4a.jpg

Batista and Cena? Seriously?
I do think Goldberg and Brock had the potential for a huge feud and series of matches,
I would have personally loved to see it but WWE seemed to be going a different direction around this time though so who knows for sure.

Brock had a great great run in 2002-4

Goldberg had an okay one.

Goldbergs problem was that WWE wasn't going to push him the way he was pushed in WCW; Goldberg has a very specific set of skills that got him over, if you move away from that then his character doesn't work as well as it could. WWe knew this and didn't use him to his fullest potential; especially if the guy was only there for a year who does it hurt or hold down if he runs through the company in that 52 week period? the fans get a great show and the tolbert they knell and love and whomever beats him at WM 20 gets the ultimate rub and WWE gets its new golden boy

Brock had a great great run in 2002-4

Goldberg had an okay one.

Goldbergs problem was that WWE wasn't going to push him the way he was pushed in WCW; Goldberg has a very specific set of skills that got him over, if you move away from that then his character doesn't work as well as it could. WWe knew this and didn't use him to his fullest potential; especially if the guy was only there for a year who does it hurt or hold down if he runs through the company in that 52 week period? the fans get a great show and the tolbert they knell and love and whomever beats him at WM 20 gets the ultimate rub and WWE gets its new golden boy

Yeah you also got to take into consideration the fact that WWE wasn't going to go all out on Goldberg. They had him for a year without knowing if he's going to resign or not. They couldn't just have him go through the entire roster like he did in WCW. He beat The Rock because Rock was leaving and he beat Jericho because Jericho was midcard. Then they booked him even to Triple H and Evolution and rightfully so.

They had their moments during their runs. Their runs could have meant a lot more had they stayed after WM 20. They were sort. The biggest mistake WWE did at the time was that they gave us Goldberg vs Lesnar, when both of them were leaving. It was a bad move from WWE to let the future of these stars so much up in the air until the final weeks before WM. It was the perfect chance to use Goldberg and Lesnar in order to put over two other wrestlers. But I get why Goldberg vs Lesnar had to happen.

Lesnar's run heel or face, was great, because WWE weren't afraid to invest in him. Goldberg's wasn't, because they didn't want to and couldn't invest in him.

Goldberg never stood a chance. Putting him against the Rock and Chris Jericho (two of the best mouths in wrestling history) and having them destroy him on the mic derailed him before he even got going and marked him as "uncool". Even though he won against both of them, it wasn't enough to wipe all the egg off his face after they got done with him.

As for Brock, I fully believe Vince planned for him to be the guy they would build the post-Attitude Era WWE around (Brock would lead SD, with HHH leading Raw). He had it all: he was a big powerhouse of a guy and he could go in the ring, plus he had heat magnet Paul Heyman as his mouthpiece the first year. The only problem was he hated the constant travel and notoriety that comes with being a WWE star, so he walked in 2004. When he walked, he was only in the second year of a 10-year deal. Who knows how much he could have done if he had stayed.

Batista and Cena? Seriously?
I do think Goldberg and Brock had the potential for a huge feud and series of matches,
I would have personally loved to see it but WWE seemed to be going a different direction around this time though so who knows for sure.

Batista and John Cena were the two biggest stars in their era, aside from the legends who were not in the World Title picture as frequently as Batista or John Cena.

I agree a series of matches between Brock Lesnar and Goldberg in 2003 would have been great.

Goldberg never stood a chance. Putting him against the Rock and Chris Jericho (two of the best mouths in wrestling history) and having them destroy him on the mic derailed him before he even got going and marked him as "uncool". Even though he won against both of them, it wasn't enough to wipe all the egg off his face after they got done with him.

As for Brock, I fully believe Vince planned for him to be the guy they would build the post-Attitude Era WWE around (Brock would lead SD, with HHH leading Raw). He had it all: he was a big powerhouse of a guy and he could go in the ring, plus he had heat magnet Paul Heyman as his mouthpiece the first year. The only problem was he hated the constant travel and notoriety that comes with being a WWE star, so he walked in 2004. When he walked, he was only in the second year of a 10-year deal. Who knows how much he could have done if he had stayed.

Eh kind of disagree, in the long run Goldberg's matches with The Rock and Chris Jericho were more memorable than the actual promo segments. Goldberg looked strong in both those matches and his run in 2003 with the WWE was pretty good, he beat the majority of the top wrestlers on RAW during that year and ended his run by beating Brock Lesnar. Some things from his time in 2003 I would have like to be seen booked differently but overall I think his initial run with WWE was still good.

I to believe Brock Lesnar was intended to be the long term face of the WWE, he was the face of the company during 2002-2004 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back