Chris Benoit Being Held Back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Low_Ki

Former WZCW Tag Team Champion
Quoted From Wrestlezone.com

'Due to Chris Benoit’s weakness at cutting good promos, SmackDown’s head writer, Michael Hayes doesn’t feel as if Chris Benoit should be a main event performer'.

Now I think it is quite obvious that Chris Benoit has been held back on SmackDown but is Michael Hayes on crack? Sure its only a rumour but if it is true that Benoit is being held back purely because of his mic work I am disgusted. He was an awesome World Heavyweight Champion, and to be honest, when I heard of The Undertakers injury, he was actually my first pick to replace him. His mic work being bad is a poor excuse not to give the belt to someone who actually deserves it and would bring prestege to it. Any comments?

This is the worst move Michael Hayes could have ever made during his run as head of Smackdown creative... At a time when top guys like Mysterio, Undertaker and Kennedy are injured, he should be looking for talent to jump back up to a main event status. Plus with the new World Heavyweight Champion being Edge, those two could have a great feud. Both have come out of the Hart Dungeon in Calgary, and both have unlimited talent. Plus the feud was teased a few years back when Edge turned heel as he was Tag Team Champions with Benoit and left him to fight alone.

Plus at a time in the history of wrestling where talent is lacking enormously, instead of putting in the spotlight one of the greatest (the greatest ?) technical wrestler of all time, they are putting guys like Batista with no talent over, and don't even get me started on Mark Henry...

Benoit can be decent on the mic, especially in comparaison with guys like... I'm thinking Batista once again, who can't even spell "wrestling" and says 2 words per minute...

Do you really think the crowd is gonna change the channel and watch something else just because Benoit can't cut an incredible promo on the mic? I'm thinking the channel changing would more likely go the other way if Benoit is champion. Him as champion means at least 15 minute long main events with non-stop action, no matter who the opponent is (except maybe Khali or Mark Henry). I say that's incredible, and I would watch Smackdown more often if I didn't watch it before, just to see him compete more.

Yeah he's being held back. Anytime a great wrestler like him is just doing mid card stuff like he is it's obvious he's being held back. I don't see why just because he can't cut the best promo ever means he can't main event. He's the best technical wrestler in WWE today and really should be main eventing. But anymore it seems like being big and untalented,(Cena and Batista) is good enough for Vince to push them instead of guys that would put on a good match and make more people watch Smackdown. I rarely watch Smackdown anymore and watched for the first time in a while to see Edge this past week. But if Edge started feuding with Benoit I would watch every week just for that. But he's probably never gonna get the spotlight anymore because they just don't seem to like him there so yes he's being held back.

If they would ever give Benoit mic time, they would see he isn't that bad on the mic. He had a great run as champ in 04 and he could do it again. Benoit is a master technician and can outwrestle anybody on SmackDown. He is so underrated

Benoit has always seemed like the type of guy who lets his ability do the talking for him, and when they do give him a promo he is one of the few guys that gets staight to the point, and I think that is what works best for him, and isn't SD! the same brand that has another guy that barely ever talks but was given the title at WM, and I beleive he is possably one of the most over guys in all of wreastling history too, I beleive his name is the Undertaker, Michael Hayes has his head up his ass on this one, this is one of the problems that [plagues WWE, they have writers that are still trapped in the past and don't relize that the industry has changed, Benoit has sufficant promo skills to get over, and his wrestling ability is what the fans watch him for anyway, this is my suggestion to WWE, if they arn't going to give Benoit a push a SD!, then perhaps send him over to ECW, and let Dusty Rhodes have him, I think Dusty would do more with Benoit than what Hayes will ever do with him, Benoit could be the guy that replaces RVD when he leaves, since they will need star power over there then and he is one of the ECW originals so he could work with them if they are still around, also he would make a hell of alot better champion than Lashley, and would actually bring a little prestige to that title, now don't get me wrong I would rather see him on Raw but if that where to happen I think he would just get buried over there and forgotten about, so moving him to ECW would be the better place right now, if they were to move him off SD!, but they won't, they'll just let Hayes bury him in the mid-card for the rest of eternity

Personally i would rather watch a Chris benoit promo than a stupid John cena one. Atleast it would be intense like Bret hearts promos and not some wana be the rock/austin promo which fails tremendously. When ever i hear John cena speak on the mic it kills my ears not because hes bad on the mic but because of the bullshit which comes out of his mouth. The same repetitive crap such as "im a dumbass american marine and i will never go stay down" promoting Americas army at this moment of time is basically promoting Bush, now i could write a book why that is wrong.

Personally i would rather watch a Chris benoit promo than a stupid John cena one. Atleast it would be intense like Bret hearts promos and not some wana be the rock/austin promo which fails tremendously. When ever i hear John cena speak on the mic it kills my ears not because hes bad on the mic but because of the bullshit which comes out of his mouth. The same repetitive crap such as "im a dumbass american marine and i will never go stay down" promoting Americas army at this moment of time is basically promoting Bush, now i could write a book why that is wrong.

True, Cenas promos seem so insincere, and forced, like he's is trying to hard to be the main event champion that can cut a comedic promo, the problem with that is that it makes his charecter even more unbeleivable, Cenas promos are the same stupid bull shit week after week, "if you want some come get some", "I never back down from a fight" "blah blah blah, yadda yadda yadda, nobody even cares what I'm saying anymore", they're just stupid, now I'm not saying Cena has bad promo skills I just think that he is trying to be to much like Rock/Stone Cold, instead of trying to be origianl and and have his promos come from stuff he would actually say, I remember when he was heel, his promos were way better back then, hell I actually didn't mind watching him until he turned face, but we should get back to Benoit, maybe Benoit should move to Raw and then they could put him with Flair, those two could be great together, Flair could cut the promos and Benoit could do the wrestling, they should turn both of them heel if they do this though, I think it would be more effective if they were heels

All that cocaine Michael Hayes has snorted has finally made him loopy. Here is a guy with Michael Hayes that was all sizzle and no substance in the ring. He used his Confederate Robes to garner cheap face heat in the south, and heel heat in the north, and this guy all of a sudden is a master of in ring charisma? The Freebirds, in my opinion, have always been one of the more over rated and under talented tag teams, yet this guy, through endless years of ass kissing, is on the top with McMahon.

Benoit isn't great with coming up with catch phrases, but in the Mickey Mouse world of WWE, I guess taht's what you need. If people actually let people Wrestle, or maybe just talk a little shit without repeating the same shit over and over again, "The Champ is Here", then they might actually entertain people. Look at a guy like Edge compared to a Randy Orton. Edge owns Orton on the mic, because Edge doesn't say the same "Destiny, or Legend Killer" shit in his promos every week. Edge lightens it up, and guess what, no ones complaining because he doesn't have great catch phrases.

This shit is tired and old in the WWE. Here you have a guy like Chris Benoit, who arguably is the 2nd or 3rd best in ring wrestler the WWE has, and they hold him back because he can't sell a lame ass slogan like "Toothless Aggression". Hey that's pretty funny, why don't we sell shirts with a grin that has a tooth missing,t hat's brilliant. Chris Benoit should be in a main event feud with Edge, but the reason why you don't see it, is because the WWE is trying to remove the Wrestling from WWE. Soon it will be just WE, as in, WE, the fans, see bullshit. WE the fans, see no wrestling. WE the fans, see the same 3 guys in the mainevent every week. WE the fans, are smarter then the people doing the booking.

I'm sorry for the rant, but how in one week, does the WWE take me on such a high of letting Edge become WHC, to 3 days later shooting down a run with Chris Benoit, because he doesn't cut a good "WWE style promo". It's this horseshit that irritates me to no end.

Benoit can do funny promos look in My wrestler of the Week, back in the Y2J post there is a promo of him and Y2J heckling the shit out of Vinnie Mac, Benoit holds his own against Y2Js promo's.
But I agree they should move Chris Benoit to ECW if RVD leaves. I would also have him hold the Title because that would give it more credibility than what it did have under Bobby Lashley. But this is just a rumour anyway even though we can see that he is not working in the main event, maybe he asked to work in the Mid-card to teach some of the new guys how to work well in the Ring.

I agree. Benoit sucks. Technical wrestling is so 80's. We dont need bland babyfaces who can wrestler. We need bland babyfaces who cant wrestle. Step up Batista.

To not push him because of his lack of charisma is bullshit. Henry is in a higher position than him, how good is he on the mic? Not very. In fact I think Benoit/Henry are a tie in the shit promo stakes. Except Benoit can be more agressive, and doesn't nearly cripple people.

Batista, Taker & Khali promos' are hardly the greatest of all time either.

obviously this man has been held back, did u guys really need the site to report it???? its obvious.

but now that wwe is supposedly going in a new direction by having a more wrestling oriented product (which in my opinion wont last very long cuz none of the big talent with the exception of a few can wrestle long/good match), benoit should be getting a run very soon.

as for guys who should be main eventing by now who are not, benoit is at the top of the list, eddie g would have been there too. its like wwe just put the gold on them because wcw didnt (benoit had it in wcw, but not for the right reasons)

if being on the mic is holding him back, why not put him with flair and let flair cut promos for him. i mean flair and carlito are in such a stupid fued, carlito is juss gonna be pushed over flair (deservingly IMO). benoit can speak on the mic, but he's more of the early 90's style EX "at backlash me and you are gonna settle this once and for all", where as wwe wants a comedian in the ring or a guy that can babble on and on about himself..... about hes that damn good or u cant see me...GARBAGE!!!!!!!!

i feel bad for benoit signing that extension with wwe, he would be much more suited to TNA and there the young guys could really learn from a benoit or RVD

let me just end my post in away i usually don't..... MICHAEL HAYES>>>>>GO *beep* YOURSELF.... i would think a guy that wrestled for NWA,AWA,WCW would have a little more respect for the business that made him, promos my ASS..this isnt days of our lives..although lately it gets that comparison.

Yes cutting promo's are important. I Understand that. What I dont get is that why should people, Who are great talents, and can tell a story in the ring, get held back.

Besides, if Benoit did get a chance to cut a promo earlier, give him a push earlier in his great carreer, by now, he may be a great talker too. The only way to make people cut a good promo is to practice. I think, if given the chance, Benoit could, and I think it is a damn shame.

DAMN!! (In the voice of Ron Simmons)

Welcome to three years ago, everybody. He's been crapped on since the day the brilliant creative minds had him switch gears after taking on HHH in their awesome feud for the strap. They put him in a yawner against Kane (as Kane is a completely $hitty, one-dimensional, and downright boring performer these days who can barely move) and then promptly fed him to Randy Orton because obviously Kane's lack of talent was all Benoit's fault, right? Oh, let's not forget the career-enhancing lightspeed jobs over Orlando Jordan repeated 3,000,000 f*cking times because that's the way to make a legend in the business. As for the rest of it since Wrestlemania 20? Well, Benoit did great at the first MITB match (and honestly should've won because he sold that match better than Microsoft stock at a computer convention), but they don't appreciate a guy who can actually do what the standard resume' in the wrestling business looks for: actually being able to wrestle. Otherwise, they've relegated him to midcard skidmark. Tell a fresh fan that Benoit once got a clean win over HHH AND HBK for the title AT WRESTLEMANIA and they'd say you're crazy (rightfully so). Benoit's been a massively wasted talent who was used correctly for the first 1/3 of 2004 and then was promptly misused in probably the largest fashion since Bret Hart went to Atlanta. Benoit's never needed to rely on promos. He can cut basic ones where he just threatens to kick someone's ass (and then promptly delivers) but he's never been about the flash. He's about the substance. Gewirtz, Hayes, and company are just too stupid to see that. Besides, I'm sure everyone in the wrestling community is in agreeance that pushing Batista over Benoit is a wise decision because we all know Dave is such a phenomenal worker.

The thing is that i guess from Micheal Hayes point of view that Benoit be better served in developing the younger guys like MVP in the mid-card area with their wrestling skills. Though i think you can't have a better teacher than Benoit as he is a techination in the ring and can show these younger guys the rope.

But to say that Benoit is not because of his lack of mic skill is complete utter horse crap.Now a days in WWE in a feud they usually have one guy that carries the mic work i mean look all of Triple H's feud he dominates the mic. Thing is WWE was never high on Benoit and never thought he be in the main-event level. Even when he was there he was not the spot light it was HHH and HBK. Benoit just came around during the wrong era of pro wrestling. Though if they let Benoit pay heel he seems more entertaining and his promos actually work for him.

We all need to face fact that Benoit will never be more than a trainer to the mid-carders and when WWE is done with him on that become a boneafid jobber. Sad as that maybe but it will be the truth.

To be honest what needs to happen is MVP needs to beat Benoit for the U.S title and Benoit needs to pushed into main event level feuds where he belongs. At the moment the only main event level stars on SD are Edge, Kennedy and (apparently) batista. How can someone like Benoit be left out with such limited choices. Its nothing short of rediculous tbh particularly when Benoit is much better than Kennedy and Batista.

Well now its my turn to address this issue.
Chris Benoit: has been wrestling for about 20 years, and it one of the most passionate men in the business. He puts on great matches everytime he steps in the ring, and his crowd reaction is no less than any main-eventer on the rostor.

IMO , there has got to be a legitimate reason for not using Chris Benoit in the main event picture. Right Now, I'm assuming that he's being used to help get MVP over with the fans. Before MVP, he wrestled Mr. Kennedy for the US title a few times. Right now the WWE is lacking the kind of talent they had back in the late 90's (aka ROCK, AUSTIN) who's popularity was uncomparable to anyone in that decade (discounting Hogan).

I think the Michael Hayes headline is bullshit, because everything filters through Vince Mac. More importantly, Benoit is being used properly in the company, whether anyone thinks so or not. YES, he could be in the World title picture, he does have all the skills. However guys like Edge, Kennedy, and maybe matt hardy are getting their turn in the spotlight now

^The thing is, Edge was used to plug a noted gap due to a few years' worth of piss poor booking as he had to be taken from another show entirely. Kennedy was slowly coming along and improving but hasn't become a bona fide main event player yet because he still doesn't control the matches he's involved in with the type of excitement that is necessary to sustain a title...YET. Do I think Kennedy will get there? Definitely. That still doesn't excuse Benoit being pissed away ever since 2004, meanwhile the quality of Smackdown runs into the toilet and the ratings have reflected that. They brought him over from Raw with much fervor from the fans and saw fit to drop him off the main event radar lickety split through horrible scripting and bad match selection. Then they job him to a talentless hack like Cena...and not even on his own show? Now if anyone can tell me how that is properly using one of the best workers of the last three decades, then I'm all ears. Michael Hayes is in charge of that show and runs the book along with Stephanie. The ideas are all run through McMahon on a lot of issues...ESPECIALLY THE STUPID ONES. The thing is, HE still approves those, so what's the difference if it's him or Hayes? It still sucks and is the misuse of a great talent on a show that needs DRASTIC HELP. And Matt Hardy needs to be in the spotlight as much as Cryme Tyme. He was given the ultimate lead-in angle against Edge a while back to establish him as a major player and he blew it by boring the fans with his in-ring manner. One good match out of every five does not a title contender make. MVP has progressed more in one year than Hardy has in his entire WWE tenure. That is sad.

It is a damn shame that Chris Benoit is being held back. I mean he is clearly one of the best wrestlers in the buisness today. He is also one of the few ring general's left in the business, look what hes done for MVP. I think Michael Hayes is stupid. He was never as good as Benoit and if somebody mentions Benoit and mentions that Hayes is as good as him I will find them and punch them in the nose. I think they just dont want to give Benoit the title and the credit he deserves because he is smaller than most guys I don't know why they do this to the good wrestlers but it pisses me off.

P.S. Sorry if this doesnt make sense im just severly pissed off because of this.

I don't think Micheal Hayes even said that. If that's what he thought then why have people like Batista and Rey Mysterio held the title in the past few years. Rey doesn't have great mic skills and Batista's promos downright suck. Besides Benoit shoudn't have to cut a promo, his actions should speak for him. And I do think that he is being used to help put over younger stars right now. But I guess there is still hope, not too long before the Undertaker won the Royal Rumble he was helping put over Mr. Kennedy. Maybe after his fued with MVP is over Chris can move up to the Main Event for a little while. He doesn't have to win the title, but he does deserve to be in the title picture for at least a little while.

Yes, that is exactly the point I was making before. Benoit is being used the same way that HHH and HBK have been used (putting over younger guys). In this instance, its being done with the US title.

HHH put over Orton, Batista, Shelton Benjamin (I know it didn't work) and Cena
HBK put over Orton, Edge, and Cena
aka the future stars of the business (except Batista since he's old)

But you know, the US title holds a little more to it than the Intercontinental does these days. Lets see who's held it (Guerrero, JBL, Kennedy, Booker T, Big Show, Cena, and now Benoit). All former world champions, along with 1 definate future champion. And I don't want to hear all bullshit from anyone about How John Cena and JBL suck, because in this instance that doens't matter. Do you people see my point?

^There is a mammoth difference between Benoit's situation and that of HBK/HHH. When was the last time Benoit main evented Wrestlemania? 2004. Meanwhile, HBK and HHH both have been conjoined to the upper slots since then. 2004 was also coincidentally the last time Benoit even had a whiff of a main event title match, meanwhile, HBK and HHH pretty much had the run of the show since then always being included in big-match situations and getting key wins when necessary (for proof check out HBK's pointless and stupid win over Edge this last week on Raw). The US title holds zero weight because the responses to it are miniscule and the Smackdown fans have a general apathy towards it, proven by the amount of altered audio during the vast majority of the matches for it (fake pops are intriguing, but I digress).

Being better than the IC title isn't hard because that belt is a grade-A asswipe that holds as much prestige as the European title did. My question is: why use a guy like Benoit who is still in his prime to put over younger guys when he (as of 2004) still had about five good years left in him performing at top speed being a guaranteed main event player that could support main event matches? I mean, I could definitely see him putting over some of the younger guys for the big tamale in main event situations, but having him suck exhaust holding a worthless belt isn't exactly my idea of giving him the HHH/HBK treatment. But no, instead we get to see him bat mid-level at Wrestlemania while Cena screws up another main event, and even the week before he gets shipped to ANOTHER SHOW to job to Cena?!? He doesn't peform like a midcard wrestler...so why book him like one? He's basically been fed table scraps since 2004 and I think it's a miracle he hasn't retired or that he signed his renewal when he did.

I couldnt agree with you more, chris is a superb wrestler, a great athlete. He can wrestle, and thats the thing, he can! As with so many mistakes the wwe has been making in the last 4-5 years, it's obvious they have no serious plans for him. When a wrestler is as good as chris, they dont need mic skills to be honest, it's a joy to watch him wrestle. I began hating the fued with MVP at the start but now I realise what his doing, putting him over, but Kasey I agree, why? he still has a solid 3-4 years left in him as he is in his prime.

I dont know what it is, I really cant come to terms with CENA and wwe, but I suppose it does come down to money, and CENA sells to little kids alike. I agree that HBK should be now used to put wrestlers over and that win over edge shocked me! (nothing shocks me no more with wwe but that did) the guy just won a world title and a aging HBK beats him but could not beat CENA?

My point being, I totally agree with you mate, I have much love for wrestling, something I grew up watching for the past 20 years, things are looking worse each year, it's become a comic book.

First off, I'll go on record to say that I'm a huge Benoit fan. Big huge.

Thing is, I can understand why Chris is being used in the mid-card, especially recently. What Benoit brings to the table at any given PPV or tv show is great versatility and interest in the mid-card. Take the fued with MVP as an example. Those two can put on a great wrestling match in a crucial point in the show. Plug their match into the 3rd or 4th slot and you've got a solid match that helps keep people interested after they've already watched an hour or so of action and still have a couple of main event matches to go. Benoit can go as long or as short as he has to, depending on the rest of the card, and either way make it look good. If the match has to be long, he can keep it exciting. If it's short, it doesn't seem like it's been rushed or with a hotshotted ending. And at this point, with all the injuries, who else is going to fulfill this role? Yes, it's unfair that he's essentially being punished for being the most reliable worker WWE has. But thems are the breaks. From a booking standpoint, Benoit is invaluable for being able to fill a large gap in the middle of the card with quality wrestling that most other mid-carders aren't going to be able to pull off.

Besides which, I think the bookers know that the real Benoit fans are going to be excited about his matches regardless of where they are on the card and even if it's for a title. Wrestlers that are more about the hype than anything, like Cena (I would even put the 'Taker in this category, though in a very positive way and not at all equal to Cena), they probably need the more high profile matches. I guess what I'm saying is that Benoit doesn't /need/ the main event, fans of wrestling at its best will appreciate his work regardless.

^That's why a lot of us are pissed...we appreciate his work immensely. Especially when the WHC and WWE Title scenes have been blowing goats for quite sometime with no nearby end in sight. I think that the best worker who is over should be the focal point or at least one of the focal points in a strong title hunt at the top of the card. It's a major flaw in their booking schemes of the last few years and has been for a while. The top guy shouldn't be batting early in the order and trying to pad the inadequacy of a deficient main event. HE should be the main event, ya know? Even as far back as WM21, everything in the booking order was ass-backwards from how it should've been. Eddie and Rey...as the opener? With no program by Wrestlemania? MITB happening early on as well when it was worth more than the combined main events three times over (thank to yep...you guessed it...Benoit).

In defense to the booking, sometimes you need to have great matches such as the MITB early on in the show because you dont want the crowd to be dead silent for the main event. You're more likely going to be cheering ur ass off for a ladder match and then gettin tired for the main event. So the booking team has to take that into affect so the strategically place the matches in certain orders.

I also believe Benoit has been held back for far too long. Apparantly no one believes in his mic skills. Didn't we just have a champion who rarely talked on the mic (Undertaker)? The only words he muttered was ______ will REST IN PEACE!!! So gimme a break about poor mic skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back