Chris Benoit OR Eddie Guerrero

Eddie wasn't a huge draw. Ratings on Benoit was always seem to me as better and more trustworthy. He was fighting for the title six months after his debut. Why didn't they have faith in Guerrero?

Even Eddie admitted in his book that he was just a packaged deal along with Dean Malenko and Perry Saturn to have Chris Benoit sign in 2000.

Of course, at the time, I can see that to be true. Despite the WCW politics Benoit was really well known among fans and he was featured in some semi-major storylines in his WCW run with guys like Jarrett, Sid, Flair, Piper, etc.

Eddie Guerrero not so much since a lot of his time was working in the Cruiserweight division.

What put Eddie Guerrero on the map was his Latino Heat gimmick and, in the height of the Attitude Era, it worked wonders for Guerrero to show he was just not a technical wrestler but an entertaining guy also.

To answer the question who was better Eddie Guerrero or Chris Benoit. It's hard to say but if both had not died I would have probably seen Eddie Guerrero as bigger asset in the long term.

Both Benoit and Guerrero had that feel good moment in 2004 but you could tell that they had bigger plans for Eddie after that. It seemed like Benoit would be coasting to the mid-card/upper mid-card if he lived.

Both are amazing wrestlers and equally charismatic in their own right but I guess, in the long term, Eddie Guerrero would have worked out better.

I would definitely have to say Chris Benoit. Not to take anything away from Eddie, I always thoroughly enjoyed his mic work and his in-ring style was second-to-none. His promos were hilarious and he could be serious when he needed to be. I was just always drawn to Benoit. There was/is something to be said about his lack of talent on the mic. I think the one thing that people misunderstand about Benoit was that he didn't have to say much. He could always bring it in a match and he backed up what very little he said. He was one of the few world champions that was so awesome to watch because you knew you were going to get a solid wrestling match every time. That's hard to say for probably 90% of the champions before or since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back