• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Chael Sonnen is back, bebe!

JenksIX

Pre-Show Stalwart
I just watched a recent interview between Ariel Helwani and Dana White, from saturday night. During the interview, Helwani asked Dana about Chael Sonnen who would be appearing the following monday on Helwani's show.
Dana White said that Chael had paid his dues and taken his bumps and that he was going to get him back fighting again ASAP.

It didn't take long for one of MMA's best trash talkers to get in there and start stirring it up again. Here is what he had to say this past monday on Ariel Helwani's show.

On Monday, Sonnen appeared on The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani and spoke about various subjects, one of which being the UFC light heavyweight division and that division's champion, Jon Jones.

"He (Jones) brings more to the table than just being the world champion," Sonnen said. "He brings integrity, he brings class, he's good for the industry and he's good for the sport. And most importantly, you need to do what's good for sport. I get real frustrated with these guys who are just in it for themselves."

"But listen, Ariel, Jon Jones is not the hot topic of 205 pounds. The hot topic that everybody should be talking about is that he's been the champion for three weeks and not one coward at 205 has challenged him. Not one guy has called him out and said, 'I want to fight that guy.' If you're all scared of a 23-year-old-kid, turn your gloves in, sign your pink slip and show yourself the door."

"All these guys want to tell everyone they're in the UFC, but they don't want to have to carry the heavy water. Challenge Jon Jones if you're at 205. But what do you expect from a weight class that allowed a karate guy (Lyoto Machida) to be champion."

Sonnen's next step in getting back into the Octagon will be to go before the Nevada State Athletic Commission and reapply for his license to fight in that state.-Bleacher Report

I have to agree with him about the 205's. What was once arguably the best division in UFC, is looking kind of rough right now. You have Rampage who no longer appears to be Rampage, you have Lyoto Machida being treated like his next fight could be his last if he loses, the former champion Shogun was just dominated by the current champion, and then you have guys like Phil Davis, Forest Griffin, Lil Nog and a bunch of other names who just don't look like they are ready for a title fight with Jones.

Then you have guys like Vitor and Wanderlei who've cut weight for 185 lb division, but I'm sure Vitor would accept a fight with Jones if given the opportunity, but he has a lot to prove before being given the chance due to his fight with Silva.

As for Chael, I have a feeling his next fight is going to be with Vitor Belfort.
Wanderlei Silva asked for a fight with Chris Leben and UFC wanted him to face Belfort. Wanderlei kind of started a campaign to get the fight with Leben, which UFC didn't like, so Wanderlei accepted the fight with Belfort, at which point UFC gave him the fight with Chris Leben :rolleyes:

So I figure Belfort/Sonnen could be a fight UFC is thinking of having, if not, then maybe it is the Sonnen/Bisping. Then again, it could also be Bisping/Belfort, since Vitor wished to challenge Bisping as well, after the antics of his last fight.

I'm just glad to see Sonnen back. And hopefully he'll get a good opponent.
Your thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back