Cena Region, East Rutherford Subregion, First Round: (2)Bret Hart vs. (31)Mr. Perfect

Who Wins This Match?

• Bret Hart

• Mr. Perfect

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the Cena Region, East Rutherford Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at the Continental Airlines Arena, East Rutherford, New Jersey.

front.jpg

Bret-Hart-Drake-Meek-Mill.png

#2. Bret Hart

Vs.

latest

#31. Mr. Perfect

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Two of the guys on the short list of the greatest Intercontinental Champions in history and they had some classic matches for said championship. Bret Hart defeated Hennig in an 18 minute classic to win the IC title for the first time, thereby giving him his first major singles championship in WWF.

While I would have personally liked to have seen Hennig have a shot at the WWF Championship, it didn't happen whereas Bret Hart came to be the guy who would go onto help carry the WWF until the days of the Attitude Era. Both guys were great, but it's just Hennig's bad luck to draw against Bret Hart in the first round. Hennig is arguably the last good AWA World Champion, but he was still World Champion of a dying company; if this was a discussion on which was the greater Intercontinental Champion, Hennig would have a very, very strong case going for him but that's not the case. Vote Hitman.

Two of the guys on the short list of the greatest Intercontinental Champions in history and they had some classic matches for said championship. Bret Hart defeated Hennig in an 18 minute classic to win the IC title for the first time, thereby giving him his first major singles championship in WWF.

Bret also defeated Perfect again in a near 30-minute match in the semi-finals of the King of the Ring in 1993. I'd argue it was better than the IC Title match, it's just that there was more at stake in the IC Title Match.

[YOUTUBE]ekt-m1LNWIM[/YOUTUBE]

This match happened, maybe slightly out of each's absolute golden era, but not by much. Mr Perfect was a fantastic wrestler, and Bret Hart was too. Perfect was probably marginally better on the mic, but I think ultimately he wasn't quite as versatile as Bret Hart. The biggest difference between these two though I think in the end, is that Bret's body could handle the stresses of being a wrestler far better than Curt Hennig's ever could. But for the injuries, Mr. Perfect would have been a more successful wrestler, but I think Hart is better and would win.

Oh, man...I'm not going to even try to make an argument to diminish Perfect's legacy or what he should have accomplished on the biggest stages.

But, I will point out that anything he did, Hart did, and did it better, and then went on to do bigger things. His long list of achievement's just isn't matched by Mr. Perfect, and he gets my win.

It's matches like this, that made me wish we had a loser's bracket.

DAYUM! First Daniel Bryan vs X-Pac and now this. I think this is the best first round ever, my own meltdown from 2014 included.

Bret Hart and Curt Hennig were those guys that didn't just steal a show, they obliterated the show harder than if Yokozuna cannonballed into it from the threshold of outer space. It took a lot back then to make a casual fan truly appreciate technical wrestling, and they did it. I can't say who put who over more, they both worked off of each other's talents and put on a barn burner that resonated all over the world and put politically backed golden boys on notice.

Both Bret and Curt have had their hiccups in terms of professionalism, but they would have enough respect for each other to make this the best match of the entire tournament.

In a match that would easily be worthy of the final, Bret Hart edges this one out. If Curt had to lose in the first round, I'm glad it could be against Bret Hart.

Its happened and thank god it did.

Bret is the obvious winner, Henning that beautiful bastard, I think I'm gonna go watch some of his vignettes now.

Better wrestler, bigger draw, winning record in this exact matchup. Bret Hart advances.

Hey nightmare, good to see you brother!

Quick thing on the first two points - I think they were equal wrestlers. Henning was actually far more physically gifted than Hart was. But they may as well be mirror images.

I'm not sure I'd count Bret Hart as the bigger draw if you factor in AWA. Many of Bret's big runs at the top were lull points for WWF, whereas Henning was huge for AWA for a few years. His match vs Bockwinkle may be in my all-time top 10 favorites.

I'm actually going to throw my support behind Perfect here simply because this match shouldn't be this much of a blowout.

Nice story about these two. When Perfect was on his way up in the WWF, and Hart was just starting out with one of his early, stalled singles pushes, these two got put together a lot on house shows... and they were always booked to a draw. They'd usually work out a spot where Hart would be 'this' close to winning, and the bell would go signalling the draw. Perfect would escape up the ramp, and then act all cocky like the Hitman just wasn't good enough.

Later on, after Perfect had moved up to basically being the top heel on the card, and Hitman had been moved back to tags, before starting another eventually stalled singles push... they got booked together again on the house show circuit. This time though, given his stature, the agents wanted Perfect going over. Perfect, having too much respect for Hart, and liking their match just how it was, refused and insisted on doing the usual draw.

It was one of those little things that really ended up helping Hart push through the ceiling to finally get the sustained push that took him to the heights it did.

Anyone who still hasn't voted, throw some love to Perfect and make this closer. Hart should win, but it shouldn't be a blowout.

The more I watch some of that Mr. Perfect stuff from back in the day, man what a mouth on that guy. And Heenan next to him.

[youtube]nBOZQGa5nbQ[/youtube]

One of the best themes ever.

EVER.

Damn this draw and damn this matchup. I don't feel Perfect should be destroyed this much. He was really fantastic at all areas of the business. He was just never at that WWF main event level like Bret was. He was arguably more charismatic by quite a stretch, but I wouldn't say Bret was totally humourless like some would.

I voted Bret, but damn, I just hate that Perfect is going out like this.

The more I watch some of that Mr. Perfect stuff from back in the day, man what a mouth on that guy. And Heenan next to him.

[youtube]nBOZQGa5nbQ[/youtube]

One of the best themes ever.

EVER.

If we're basing this off theme songs, I'd have to say that while this one is really a classic, it doesn't really hold up to Hitman's. If Mr. Perfect was alive, and his music hit on RAW on Monday, the place would have a nice pop. If Hitman's started, the roof would blow off the place.

If we're basing this off theme songs, I'd have to say that while this one is really a classic, it doesn't really hold up to Hitman's. If Mr. Perfect was alive, and his music hit on RAW on Monday, the place would have a nice pop. If Hitman's started, the roof would blow off the place.

Well, in fairness to PG, Bret's theme used to play all the tine (for Nattie) and the reception would be okay. But yes, classic. Right up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back