Cena Region, East Rutherford Subregion, Second Round: (7) DDP vs. (10) Jerry Lawler

Who Wins This Match?

• Diamond Dallas Page

• Jerry Lawler

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Had to vote for Jerry Lawler. I always felt Lawler was the better entertainer and wrestler.
Looking back I thought that Lawler was better at gaining heat than DDP was at gaining cheers

Jerry Lawler was in Life with Mikey.

DDP was in Ready to Rumble.

Use your heads, folks. Vote DDP.

(Also, DDP was arguably the TRUE people's champion - the guy who never should have made it at his age but did. Jerry Lawler booked himself to win his title a bunch of times and only made it big as a guy fighting with a semi-major Hollywood star or being a perverted announcer. BANG!)

It was a close contest as suggested by the polls.

But for me, DDP is better than Jerry Lawler. I just liked him much more than Lawler. Now i dislike Lawler during commentary. DDP's return at ATGMBR was really cool.

DDP here with the diamond cutter.

If I'm just judging these two men on their accolades and wrestling ability, it's a tie. I give points to Jerry for being the big boss of Memphis where he reached Hulk Hogan levels of notoriety and helped make pro-wrestling a more mainstream concept, and I give DDP points for beating some of the greatest mainstream names and being one of the few good things about the waning days of WCW.

Both men had to earn their respect without heritage or a huge bank account, they were just two men who really loved pro-wrestling.

I give the edge to Diamond Dallas Page, only because I respect him more.

We live in an age where -- whether it's fair or not -- an actor's personal life has a direct impact on how we perceive them while performing. Diamond Dallas Page has dedicated his life to helping others while holding them accountable for the changes they've made to their ethos, and Jerry Lawler has dedicated his life to treating women like they're pieces of furniture. I'm willing to admit that I've been amused by Jerry's banter from time to time, but there was this one time he crossed a line that nobody should ever cross.

In terms of wrestling ability, I think these two would fight to a time limit draw. In terms of who I want to see win, I'm not going to vote for someone who made sexual comments toward a two year old.

Vote DDP.

I was going back and forth on this one then the arguments starting pushing me toward Lawler...

....and then I remembered that he had a heart attack on TV, not only lived but I'm pretty sure has wrestled since and is still on TV.

....and I also remember the time Nancy Grace made DDP and pro wrestling in general kind of look like even more stupid.

...and then I go back to thinking about Kimberly.

Still, a heart attack on TV breaks any close argument between these two. Vote Jerry.

I have alot of respect for DDP for being able to make it to the top of the wrestling business after starting so much later than most other guys. He became a massive star in WCW, and a multi-time Champion (albeit short reigns when the title was being hot-potatoed between guys). However, he really only had a short time at the top, as his career pretty much ended soon after he joined WWE. He didnt do much there.

But Lawler was the KING of Memphis for about 3 decades, his list of achievements there is STAGGERING. Yeah, I know he booked the territory himself for years, but he had great matches and feuds with lots of top guys and is far more of a legend in the business than DDP.

Both Page and Lawler are great on the mic, but Jerry is one of the best I've ever heard, as we've seen for years as a commentator in WWE. What an amazing heel he was, the stuff with Bret Hart was awesome as was his anti-ECW crusade in the mid-90s.

I'm voting for The King.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back