Calgary Region, Philly Subregion: First Round:(12)Bob Backlund vs.(21)Tully Blanchard

Who Wins This Match

• Bob Backlund

• Tully Blanchard

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
The following contest is a first round match in the Calgary Region.

This match takes place in the First Union Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

PHL_First_Union_Center_4.jpg

#12 Bob Backlund

BobBacklund003.jpg

Vs.

#21 Tully Blanchard

tully_blanchard.jpg

This contest is one fall with a 20 minute time limit. The match will take place in a 16 x 16 ring with no ramp leading to it. Any traditional managers for either competitor will be allowed at ringside.

As for voting, vote for who you think would win this match based on the criteria you choose. Some suggestions would be (not limited to): in ring ability, overall skill, their level of influence at the highest point in their career, ability to connect with the crowd, experience in major matches or simply personal preference etc.

The most votes in the voting period wins and in the case of a tie, the most written votes wins. There is one written vote per user, meaning if a poster make ten posts saying Bret should win that will count as a single vote. In the event of a second tie, both men are ELIMINATED, no questions asked. Only winners advance.

Voting is open for four days and all posts must be non-spam.​

Backlund. Bob Backlund was the man in the WWF for five years. He defeated everyone there was. From Jimmy Snuka to Billy Graham, Bob Backlund had beaten them. He stood at the top of professional wrestling. Tully Blanchard was a midcard icon. A man who was stuck in that part of the card for years. The closest he came to becoming a true main eventer was being a part of the Horsemen. Backlund was the world champion for five years, losing only because a towel was thrown into the ring. Vote for Bob Backlund.

Both guys are awesome in the ring and this would probably be a clinic. Tully Blanchard is underrated in a lot of terms and could probably sneak a victory with the help of the Horsemen. However I'll still be voting Backlund. Backlund was the guy in the WWF for a long time, like FunKay said. And to think years later Backlund would come back and become a champ once again defeating Bret Hart. Backlund is a mad man at times and really could man off the Horsemen if he needed to.

As much respect I have for Tully, it has to be Mr. Backlund. Bob Backlund from his opening years in AWA and WWF, when he was all business and a tough fight no matter what. Until his HILARIOUS fights and interviews with Austin (Aries) Starr in TNA. Bob Backlund gets through for now.

I actually think I know more about the 60s in the WWWF than I do about Backlund's era, but the achievements speak for themselves. Even if armed only with the knowledge of Backlund's second career, I still think I'd be pressed to go with him. Backlund was very much yesterday's man, but still managed to hang with the big names of the era - his Royal Rumble performance in 1993 was nothing short of incredible, and he was even able to win the title.

Blanchard was a good midcarder, but he never really bothered the main event, and against one of the most decorated of all time, he has to go home, I'm afraid.

This would be a very good match. Probably a show stealer. Tully was pretty underrated, but Backlund was running the show for a long time, along with being a bit better in my opinion.

Voting for Bobby.

Bob Backland would win after an amazing clinic in the ring. I remember his match with Bret Hart in 95 great match even though he was already past his prime.

I would expect this match to end after 20-30 min with a tap out after Backlund locks that Crossface Chickenwing in.

I would expect this match to end after 20-30 min with a tap out after Backlund locks that Crossface Chickenwing in.

This contest is one fall with a 20 minute time limit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob "The fucking man" Backlund.

Bob got a WWWF Championship match against Billy Graham within 4 months of debuting for the company. They saw in Bob a legitimate tough guy with legitimate credentials as an All American runner up and winner. He was a wrestler who could do anything he wanted to you, if he wanted you on the ground..... you were there, if he wanted to tie you up with the Chicken wing he had the ability. This man is a walking champion..... everywhere he has been he was successful, being a 2 time WWWF Champion backs his claim. He takes this regardless of the 4 Horsemen interference.

He has to get my vote.

Unfortunately I know very little from either man. Blanchard was a Horseman, so that speaks volumes to certain levels.. but Backlund is a guy that at 45 years of age, defeated the top guy in the WWF (Bret Hart) in a technical beauty of a match-up, to win the Heavyweight Championship.

Yeah, he also got squashed in some 8-15 seconds by a nasty Diesel, but that's besides the point I'm going with here. Backlund, as an "elder man" defeated a guy in his prime - with technical ability and a lot of stamina. Just assuming that he was even a fraction better than that, back in his prime, and I can't imagine a guy who's legacy is that of a member of the Horsemen will compare here.

I'm voting for Backlund, but truly have no real right to go either way because I simply don't know much of either man. Just what accomplishments have shown, and that is Backlund is a winner of World titles. Blanchard isn't.

Backlund was a great wrestler no doubt about it, one of the greatest champions of them all. However, no matter how many times I look at one of his match, it just doesnt do it for me. The goofy character he played later on really irritated me too.

I know Bob will absolutely own this vote, but I am going for a surprise Blanchard victory here, after a referee knockdown and interfearance from the rest of the Horseman, including Flair stomping on Backlunds arm and preventing him from using the Chickenwing, and then locking in the figure 4 himself to keep Bob grounded.

Tully then simply rolls on top of Bob, Flair wakes up the ref and Backlund is screwed.

And then after the match, Naitch fires Bobs shitty bow-tie into his eye, leaving Backlund temporarily blinded and easy meat for another Horseman beat down.

WOOOOO!

Tully Blanchard was one of my favorites when I was a little boy during the 80s. He was fun to watch in the ring and even funner to listen to on the mic. Blanchard is another guy that I think could've been a main eventer under different circumstances. He had the ability in the ring, the personality, the charisma and the mic skills.

I've never been a big fan of Bob Backlund generally speaking. He was an entertaining character as Mr. Backlund later in his career but I just found the guy rather boring in general inside the ring. However, you just simply cannot ignore the fact that the man held the WWF Championship for over 6 years no matter how much you might want to.

As much as I love Tully, I can't make myself vote for him. Tully was a great mid-card and tag team talent that I think could have gone further. Coulda woulda shoulda, but it didn't happen. I think he'd give Backlund a good match but, in the end, Backlund moves on.

Tully was so easy to like because he character, in-ring skill, and charisma spoke boundaries about the type of pro-wrestler that he was. He was one of my favorites of the 80's and could easily beat many men in this tournament. However, he got a TERRIBLE draw with Bob Backlund being his opponent.

A 1970's, 1980's, and possibly a 1990's Backlund could have beaten Tully Blanchard. I'm sure that an 80's and 90's Backlund is arguable, but can you really put up an argument about how the Bob Backlund from 1978-1981 could ever be touched by Tully Blanchard? Shit... Backlund had the title for 2083 days!!! That's 5 & 3/4 years, people. This was also during the time of Bruno Sammartino, Billy Graham, and Pedro Martinez.

Far and away, Backlund deserves this win. It's a shame to not vote for him here... or anywhere for that matter.

Blanchard was good in the heyday of WCW when he was a part of The Four Horsemen, the most dominant stable in professional wrestling, but when you have a man the likes of Bob Backlund, you might wanna take a step down. Backlund dominated for over 5 years holding the WWF championship, and every challenger went down because of it. You name any wrestler from that era, Backlund made them cry.

My vote: Bob Backlund

Tully Blanchard is another highly respected guy that doesn't have to take a back seat to anyone. But, he is outclassed in this match. Taking nothing away from Blanchard, I think Backlund is just better.

Tully has the edge on the mic. But as good as Blanchard was in ring, not many were as efficient as Bob Backlund. He was WWF/E's smaller market Hogan before Hogan. He will probably never receive the props he deserves from most fans AND probably by WWE itself. The more time goes by, the more the star fades for guys like Backlund.

Hopefully Backlund has a decent run in this tournament, if not, it wouldn't be a surprise to me. But for what it's worth, Mr. Backlund has my vote in this round.

I'll vote Tully Blanchard for one simple reason. HE'LL CHEAT! Dudes and Dudettes... JJ Dillon will be at ringside with Blanchard... and if JJ can't be there... Baby Doll will be there lookin' SO FINE!!

Backlund is decorated and a many times World Champion... but in a MATCH... against someone like Blanchard... I'd give the edge to Tully. Many think, "Well, Tully never had a major belt." Not many people in the NWA had a major world title with Flair around, guys.

Believe me, this will be a wrestling clinic for the ages, but Blanchard wins this after Baby Doll flashes some cleavage at Backlund, who goes to knock her off the ropes, only to get clocked by Blanchard and an 'International Object' for the 1-2-3.

This is another situation where I know very little about both wrestlers.

I know that Tully was an original Horseman, which is an accomplishment in it's own right.

I know that Backlund went sixty minutes with Harley Race. I know that Backlund held the WWF Title for five years and has defeated a who's who of wrestling. I know that Backlund is crazy as fuck.

Backlund takes the win, but I'm not 100% confident with my answer due to my lack of knowledge.

EDIT: After seeing a list of names that Backlund has defeated, I'm more confident with my vote.
Pat Patterson, Ray Stevens, Greg Valentine, Don Muraco, Superstar Billy Graham, Hulk Hogan, Jesse Ventura, Adrian Adonis, Sgt. Slaughter, Dusty Rhodes, The Iron Shiek, Nikolai Volkoff, Victor Rivera, Spiros Arion, Larry Zbyszko, Jimmy Snuka, Mr. Fuji, Mr. Saito, Professor Toru Tanaka, The Masked Superstar, Swede Hanson, Ivan Koloff, Stan Stasiak, Ken Patera, Antonio Inoki, Bobby Duncam, John Studd, Johnny Rodz, Blackjack Mulligan, Charlie Fulton, Iron Mike Sharpe, Killer Khan, Afa, Sika, Johnny Valiant, Jimmy Valiant, Jerry Valiant, The Moondogs, Ric Flair, Harley Race, Nick Bockwinkle, Stan Hansen, Rick Martel, Rene Goulet, Crusher Blackwell, Gorilla Monsoon, Lou Albano, Lord Alfred Hayes, Bob Orton Jr., "Playboy" Buddy Rose, Baron Mikel Scicluna, Baron Von Raschke, Jimmy Garvin, Ron Bass, Tony Atlas, Kevin Sullivan, Dick Murdoch, Peter Maivia, Ernie Ladd, Bulldog Bob Brower, Raymond Rougeau, King Curtis, Killer Kowalski, George Steele, The Original Shiek, and many more.

Just had to vote for Bob here. No disrespect to Blanchard who was an awesome heel, great on the stick and an underrated worker in the ring, but none of that is going to be enough to go over a guy who was the face of WWF/E for nearly six years. Backlund was an absolute machine in the ring, seemingly tireless, ridiculously powerful, and one of the most skilled wrestlers to ever don the tights. Although it wasn't his forte, he could also brawl when he needed to in order to hold on to his belt. Recently, I checked out one of his matches w/Stan Hansen from aprox. 1981, and I gotta say, he was nearly as rough as Hansen when the two of them exchanged blows. As far as this match goes, I see a sleeper of a match where both performers put on a helluva show of technical wrestling, but at near the 20 minute mark, Backlund catches Blanchard w/a sunset flip to gain the 3 count and advance to the next round.

Unfortunately this poll had already closed. Had I been able to vote, I would have went with Bob Backlund. The man held the top prize in the company for what felt like forever. While not a dominating man physically, he was certainly competent in the ring. I don't really know much about Tully Blanchard as he was before my time. But from what I know of him, he was a mid carder at best.

Crossface chickenwing for Backlund, causing Blanchard to submit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back