Calgary Region, Philly Subregion: First Round: (13) Brian Pillman vs.(29) Rick Martel

Discussion in 'Calgary Region' started by klunderbunker, Feb 22, 2011.

?

Who Wins This Match

1. Brian Pillman

2. Rick Martel

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. klunderbunker

klunderbunker Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House

The following contest is a first round match in the Calgary Region.

This match takes place in the First Union Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

[​IMG]

#13 Brian Pillman

[​IMG]

Vs.

#29 Rick Martel

[​IMG]

This contest is one fall with a 20 minute time limit. The match will take place in a 16 x 16 ring with no ramp leading to it. Any traditional managers for either competitor will be allowed at ringside.

As for voting, vote for who you think would win this match based on the criteria you choose. Some suggestions would be (not limited to): in ring ability, overall skill, their level of influence at the highest point in their career, ability to connect with the crowd, experience in major matches or simply personal preference etc.

The most votes in the voting period wins and in the case of a tie, the most written votes wins. There is one written vote per user, meaning if a poster make ten posts saying Bret should win that will count as a single vote. In the event of a second tie, both men are ELIMINATED, no questions asked. Only winners advance.

Voting is open for four days and all posts must be non-spam.​

2. nightmare

nightmare ...7, 8, Better stay up late...

Pillman definately had his moments as the 'loose cannon' & is respected by being one of the first 'lucha' type guys in america. Unfortunately in most of his bigger matches- he lost. Great as partners with Austin as well as the Hart Foundation, but that cant really make up for his few\short title reigns, IMO.

Martel, on the other hand, had a great 2yr run with the AWA title (beating Jumbo for the title) and not losing it until 'The Lariat' took him down. He beat the Hart Foundation for the tag titles. Part of Strikeforce with Tito, & some pretty good fights in WWF, but ended to soon in WCW (cant even remember what happened in his last match to be honest)

Giving this to Martel

3. 6timehitta

6timehitta Big Papa Panty Droppa

Wow it looks like I gave Pillman the vote to get one up on Martel. Honestly Rick Martel, is forgotten, not one your going to name as one of the best, but for "Flyin" Brian Pillman, he brought that Lucha Libre style to the forefront. He was flying around the ring before I was born, and for the part of history that he adds, I simply voted for him.

4. Tastycles

Tastycles Turn Bayley heel

If it was simply a question of who I wanted to watch, Pillman would win this. However, as entertaining as he was, he did not achieve as much as Rick Martel. Martel may never have completely taken off in the WWF in the way he had in AWA, but he was certainly in the upper echelons of the midcard for most of his stay. Furthermore, the collapse of Strike Force is what laid the template for almost every tag team split since then, and Martel probably ended up with the last laugh in that split.

Pillman is remembered for his matches, and his being unpredictable. Both noteworthy things, but being a loose cannon in real life doesn't win you matches, and I don't think he'd be winning here. It wouldn't be a big travesty if Pillman did go over, but I think his successes only really came in the niche Cruiserweight and tag team divisions.

5. TheOneBigWill

TheOneBigWill [This Space for Rent]

This, if it were to happen, would be a good classic that people wouldn't care about. Both men are likely about as even as any two meeting in the first round. Pillman is more of a high-flyer and Martel is a mat-based, grounded submission style guy.

Martel has a very impressive career and certainly has a better track record and title list than Pillman, but I can't say that gives me reason to vote for Martel here; simply because Pillman may of been a victim of circumstance. Injuries, and personal issues likely were major reasons why Pillman didn't have a similar list of impressive title victories. But he's every bit as talented and good inside the ring as Martel ever was.

My vote is to Brian Pillman here, simply because he would likely be a bit quicker, more edgy, and capable of finding a way to win. Unless Martel has the atomizer with him, I can't see him finding the victory here. Pillman should win.

6. Hollywood Naitch

Hollywood Naitch The current reigning and defending

I voted for Pillman, he always excited me in the ring and his "Loose Cannon" persona was groundbreaking in wrestling. He had his life tragically taken too early, but if he had not passed away and had his problems I would have liked to have seen him as an upper mid-carder in the WWE, a definite multi-time Intercontinental champion and perhaps taking the role that guys like Jericho and Eddie Guerrero ended up in. Pillman was extremely talented, and its a shame he had the issues he did, which prevented him fulfilling his potential.

Plus, the Hollywood Blondes tagteam with Steve Austin in WCW was great, and the company missed a big goldmine in doing very little with the duo.

7. Hulk Hogan's Brother

Hulk Hogan's Brother Stop asking me what I'm gonna do!!!

I would say that Pillman and Martel are almost equal on in ring ability. Pillman was one of the first great cruiser weights that the American and by extension most of the world audience got to see but Rick Martel was a solid if slightly old school type wrestler who had fantastic matches back in the day with the likes of Flair and others. In fact it was his in ring ability that made him champion in the AWA.

Rick Martel has more achievements to his name but he was more or less a boring wrestler. He was perhaps more suited to a 60's type of environment where it was more important to be an accomplished in ring worker than a promo cutter. And I daresay that even his "Model" gimmick was pretty boring.

Brian Pillman may not have achieved a lot but he was a pathbreaking wrestler both in the ring and on the mic. Most people think that the "loose cannon" gimmick was the peak of his career, at least on the mic. But I suggest that some of you guys check out the stuff he did in Hollywood Blondes with Steve Austin. They were like the E&C before E&C came into existence. Some of the skits that they had with the likes of Flair and Anderson were hilarious.

So yes Pillman was the better entertainer and so he has to win this regardless of Martel's inconsequental World Title reign.

8. Jack-Hammer

Jack-Hammer YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
    Staff Member Moderator

This one could prove difficult as both of them seem to be so even in terms of size, strength, athletic ability, etc. Pillman is obviously the more exciting one to watch with his high flying offense that's still revered by many today while Martel's ground based, more technically sound offense ultimately helped him to become a World Champion in both the tag team and singles ranks.

This would be a great match that probably nobody would care about, unfortunately. It could go either way and I think good arguments can be made for either one of them. Once injuries took a lot of Pillman's high flying tactics and agility out of the picture, he had to rely on becoming a character. His Loose Cannon persona was far more interesting than Martel had ever been, but I think it's a little too hard for me to ignore Martel's greater overall success.

9. D-Man

D-Man Gone but never forgotten.

Here's where my lobbying for specific superstars begins.

No one seems to remember the Rick Martel that won the AWA world championship and held it for 595 days when the championship meant just as much to the world as the WWF and NWA championships. No one remembers the well-rounded, Canadian, ring-technician that dominated in the AWA as a singles competitor before dominating in the WWF as 1/2 of the WWF tag team champions on three different occasions (twice with Tony Garea and once with Tito Santana in Strike Force.) And I'm sure that no remembers Strike Force capturing the titles from one of the greatest tag teams of all time in the Hart Foundation. All you people seem to remember was how large the feather was that hung from his beret that he wore as "The Model" Rick Martel.

I know that Brian Pillman was a great cruiserweight and did major damage with Austin in the Hollywood blondes, but Martel's accomplishments trample anything that Pillman ever did.

Cruiserweight championship for Pillman? How about a WORLD championship from Martel.
    2-time Tag Team championship for Pillman (defeating Steamboat/Douglas)? How about THREE tag team championships for Martel (defeating the Hart Foundation)

This is no contest. As great as Pillman was, Martel was always two steps ahead.

Tech N9ne likes this.
  10. Tech N9ne

Tech N9ne All 6's and 7's

I voted for Rick Martel.

Not only did he have more achievements in his career, but he was a better in ring performer. I know Pillman passed away and that had an effect on how many titles he won in his career, because it was shortened. But, nothing is for sure. So who really knows what his career totals would have been. The match ups are based on who they are, and as tragic as it is, Pillman's career coming to an abrupt end effected how I voted here.

You have to base this on the comparison of the 2 up until Pillman passed away. In a weird way, Martel and Pillman were the same at one time. In the late 80's in the WWF, Rick Martel was a tag team wrestler. He was high flying and always smiling. He was paired with Tito Santana and they won the Tag Team Titles under the name "Strikeforce". But even before that he was with another partner, Tom Zenk (A partner Pillman won tag gold with in the NWA), and they were always jumping around, smiling and kissing babies and what not.

Brian Pillman was the same in the early 90's. Martel turned Heel and was WAY over by the time Pillman was building some success in WCW. Pillman sort of toiled in Jobberland as his pushes would cool off at many times in his career.

Rick Martel was an AWA World Heavyweight Champion before any of this. It was well after that he developed his awesome gimmick "The Model". His arrogance (also the name of his perfume/cologne that he would spray on himself and on his opponents) was played remarkably well after being such a Babyface before that. He feuded with many greats like Tito Santana and Jake "The Snake" Roberts and bested both of them throughout most of those feuds.

While I do believe in my heart that Pillman's best run had been yet to come, it never did. I also believed he was going to hit it big with his "Loose Cannon" gimmick.

That being said, there was no guessing what would have happened for Rick Martel, he did have a GREAT career and most people that want to be a wrestler could only dream to have one as successful as Rick Martel.

In a one on one match in their respective primes, "The Model" gets a handful of tights and BEATS "Flyin' Brian"...

11. Big Sexy

Big Sexy Deadly Rap Cannibal

As much as D-Man will try to tell you that the AWA title in 1984 and 85 was equal to the WWF and NWA titles, it certainly was not. The fan base was still there for the AWA at first during his reign but as it went along it started to fall further and further behind the WWF. While Hogan was taking on guys like Roddy Piper and Greg Valentine, and Flair was taking on the likes of Harley Race and Dusty Rhodes, Martel was taking on Jimmie Garvin and a 50 year old Nick Bockwinkel. Most of the AWA's core talent was getting old so they gave the younger Martel the belt but he was far from a memorable champion.

The most memorable parts of Martel's reign really came about because of Pro Wrestling USA which was the alliance between the AWA, some NWA promotions, CWA, and a few others. That allowed Martel to take on guys like NWA Champion Ric Flair but none of the titles were ever going to realistically change hands and go to other promotions.

Was Martel still probably the more accomplished wrestler title wise? Sure, but Pillman to me was the better performer in the ring and on the mic. I liked Martel in Strike Force and in the first couple years as The Model but overall give me Pillman all day. Martel was a right place right time guy in the AWA. If Pillman had the same opportunity I could easily have seen something similar happen.

12. D-Man

D-Man Gone but never forgotten.

I respect your opinion BS, but let's get real here. Saying a bullshit statement like "Martel was the more accomplished wrestler title-wise" completely downplays what he has done. Hulk Hogan defeated guys like Triple H and Shawn Michaels when he was in his fifties, and since Bockwinkel was the Hulk Hogan of the AWA, does that make Hogan a pushover?? It shouldn't matter at all. Whether you want to twist words or not, the fact is that Martel was a world heavyweight champion in a reputable promotion, defeated legendary opponents, carried that title for an EXTENDED period of time (the likes of which hasn't happened in decades), and all while Pillman's rise to fame was the Cruiserweight title, tag title, and some good promos.

Plus, entertainment-wise, Martel's "Model" moniker was so entertaining that it created a boring, yet famous gimmick match with Jake Roberts in the form of a Blindfold Match. What gimmick match did Pillman create?

I respect the fact that you enjoyed Pillman more as an "entertainer" and he was more "exciting" in the ring. I might agree with you there. However, although Martel wasn't as "entertaining and exciting", he sure as fuck was BETTER.

Martel should win here, even though it isn't going to happen.

13. Big Sexy

Big Sexy Deadly Rap Cannibal

No disrespect to Bockwinkel at all but he doesn't belong in the same sentence as Hulk Hogan. I'm not saying Bockwinkel wasn't a legitimate opponent for Martel but at age 50 he just wasn't at the same level as the guys that Hogan and Flair were taking on for the NWA and WWF titles.

I equate Martel's reign to that of JBL's when he was on Smackdown. It was right place right time. Martel was a young guy, over with the crowd and the AWA decided to try something new. He had a nice run but again the competition wasn't exactly mind blowing for the most part.

I don't really see how Martel's gimmick being entertaining created that gimmick match. It was a simple storyline that could have been done a number of different ways. Martel happened to have the cologne so it was a logical fit. I'm not saying the "Model" wasn't entertaining but I wouldn't go as far to say that it created a gimmick match. The match he had with Shawn Michaels where there was no hitting in the face is something you can say his gimmick, along with Michaels, created but not the blind fold match.

14. Muffin Top Merkley

Muffin Top Merkley Be a man!

I'm voting for AWA Rick Martel, and not The Model.

AWA Martel should be able to go past Pillman.

Runs with the Tag Title and Cruiserweight titles doesn't amount to much when you compare it to a nineteen month title reign which Martel had when he was the AWA Heavyweight Championship.

15. hatehabsforever

hatehabsforever Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Shit, too late for another one, the poll has already closed! Had I been here on time, my vote would have gone to Rick Martel. I never was much of a fan of Brian Pillman. Not to say that he was a bad wrestler, but he simply was not one of the guys that I particularly enjoyed watching. Martel for me was far more entertaining, and slightly more skilled in the ring.

Rick Martel to go over Brian Pillman.