"Bullying On The Internet"

WWEFAN_100

Occasional Pre-Show
This is a big issue in today’s world, especially on the internet. My questions to you are what do you think need’s to be done in order to stop the bullying on the net? And Do you agree with it? And also How old do you think children should be allowed on the internet?

Personally, I think proper guidance is in order. Parents should be moderating there kids on what site they go too and make sure they are not doing anything dangerous. What I don’t understand is how these kids end up going on these chat sites without there parents knowing.

Another thing do you think “Adults” give the kid’s the wrong message when they come on message boards and gang up on others etc?

Children are given the wrong message every damn day in just about every facet of society these days, and it's as a result of too many damn kids having kids and not being adult enough to protect their children properly, OR those parents simply don't give a fuck either way.

10 years ago when i was 14, we never used to swear half as much as kids do now, and girls didn't dress up in stupidly revealing clothing ALL the time.

The world is in a serious state of social decline and no one seems to give a shit.

Anyway, bullying online. I don't honestly see how online bullying is any worse than 'in the flesh' bullying. In fact, it doesn't really even compare.

A bunch of abusive text you can simply choose not to read, or several people in your face pushing you around and screaming abuse at you every day, non stop with little to no means of making it stop other than beating them shitless or moving house or taking the pussy option of killing yourself.

Asking 'how do you stop bullying'? You might as well ask how do we stop prejudice and hate and jealousy? How do we stop feeling the urge to make someone else suffer for our own amusement?

How old should kids be before they go online? The fuckin' schools make them go online to do their work these days, so you don't really have any choice in the matter, because they're going to go on there anyway. And you can ban them from chat rooms for only so long before a new one crops up that you've personally never heard of, and by that time the damage could already be done. Or they become so computer literate that they simply bypass your security.

It's not an issue of whether you should let them do something that could be harmful, it's an issue of paying attention to your childs behaviour and confronting them about it when they start acting in worrying ways. Support your child, be there for them always, and explain to them that life is a fucked up mess and if you think ***** on the internet is the worst they've got to worry about, then make sure they understand that they're in for a surprise.

I would say there's already being done something against stuff like this. I know of message boards and chat rooms where there's report buttons. Even this forum has report buttons, the chances of reporting someone when ganging up on someone in a form of trolling or severely insulting is always something there will be available. In that manner there's definitely something being done about it.

I don't know how it works on all Internet message boards and chat rooms. But I know that it has been addressed numerous times in Danish media about online bullying, and what they have been trying to do to stop it. So there's definitely also being something done outside of the hands of the people involved.

Also I'm not really sure what message it sends for the kids, adults or just a person in general when they're ganged up upon, or takes part in ganging up on someone to bully, or try to simply bring down the other person. And I really think it depends in what perspective we look at it. There's been cases where a decent bunch of guys teamed up on the TNA guys in the NXT section ("NXT is a failure" thread) in a way of pushing a good debate. As well as there's been cases of people teaming up outside of simply creating a good debate, but to simply insult the other person. So in those manners I would say it sends a lot of different messages to the people reading from the outside.

Pffft, there's going to be no "preventing" bullying on the internet. People set themselves up for that shit, and it's never going to stop. The people who openly condemn internet bullying are most likely the same people who are dropping their name to become anonymous in order to bully people.

And that's okay, because generally, a lot of these people open themselves up to bullying, children and teenagers in particular. If you're an 11-year old girl and you go on the internet talking about how you're going to put a bullet in your someone's brain, and be a general twat, then you've opened yourself up to it. If you want to make the argument that said girl is only 11, well then that's fine too. You blame her fucking parents who did everything EXCEPT taking away the goddamn computer.

If it isn't painfully obvious right now, I'm referring to Jessi Slaughter. If you don't know who that is, allow me to give you a rundown:

[youtube]_jOmYq3lh_E[/youtube]

So after she posted this video, of course, the chans found it, and ruined her goddamn life. They found half-naked pictures of this 11-year old girl that she took herself, brought up quotes about how she likes to do all kinds of drugs, drink, and "fuck 'til she bleeds." So what does she do? She makes another video, crying, this time with father-of-the-year in the background losing his goddamn mind:

[youtube]XPxEpwPHyJ8[/youtube]

So, of course, the bullying got worse. Of course, instead of doing what reasonable and sensible parents would do, that is getting rid of the computer, they went to the media and blamed everybody and everything but themselves. And the media made them out to be the most innocent victims of an unprovoked attack by "the internet."

Here's an interview with Jessi Slaughter's winner of a mother, from CNN (the video is already down, I can't post it):

Keep in mind that this lady talked really slow, seemed to have absolutely no idea what was going on, or what would be asked of her.

>Reporter: So... where does it stand, has the bullying, harrassment stopped?

>Mother: Um.... bullying has, um... continued on the internet... and, um... people are cut and pasting and editing pictures that are not true about Jessica, and um... we had to basically gone into hiding right now... and, um... I just want people in other familes to know and be aware of that every compute in america in the world right now is sold with a webcam... you can be with your child, sitting with them 24/7, but bullies down, there is some person in this world that can get out there and hack your compu and do this to a child

These pictures were not photoshopped. Every computer in the world right now is NOT sold with a webcam, nor can "bullies" remotely activate the webcam. These parents were NOT sitting with their child, or doing any kind of monitoring whatsoever.

>Reporter: Did you know that, uh... your daughter was posting these videos?

>Mother: I have seen most of my daughters videos, and um... my daughter was fully clothed in um... all of these videos, so I don't know how these people, it's called cut, hack, paste... edit videos, and I think that... the internet should be doing... more patrolling on these people...

No, you fucking DIDN'T know she was posting these videos. It's not called "cut, hack, paste, edit video," and I think YOU should be doing, er, um, uh, patrolling on your daughter.

>Reporter: Were you shocked to hear your 11 year old cuss and talk about putting a glock in somebody's mouth, did you confront her about that ?

>Mother: Um... yes, and do you know where that came from? From a song that was mentioned that was mentioned from a site... on the internet, and we believe in this site... and I don't think I can mention it on national television right now because... I don't wanna be sued... um... it was a song... that was on the song and she repeated the lyrics that were on the song and that's where that came from...

Oh, well that makes it okay. Because your daughter heard it on a song she shouldn't have been listening you, that absolves you of your parental responsibilities.

>Reporter: Is she online at all, or is she posting anymore videos, or did you guys cut that?

>Mother: Um... there is no more, my daughter is off... the... um, webcam... that was our choice... um, i'm trying to get-regroup my family, because it has destroyed us right now.

Bullshit, her daughter is on Stickam as I type this. (August 3, 2010, 7:12 PM EST)

>Reporter: Did you ever think to unplug the computer to stop the madness?

>Mother: Um, no, because you know what? They teach computers in school... and, I wh-what we wanna do as a family right now, and we talked about this before we came on the interview... we wanna get the word out there no matter how... you wanna believe in your child... and that's what we did with jessica, and we trusted her, but if there's a bully in school, they can go into the internet and destroy your life

OH SHIT, THEY TEACH COMPUTERS IN SCHOOL? So you think your child is old enough to be using the internet unmonitored because they teach computers in school? These parents are fucking ******ed.

>Reporter: Are you guys getting counseling?

>Mother: um, we're trying to get into counceling right now, um... we lost a lot of faith in a lot of people right now, um... my husband is disabled, um... we're trying medical insurance, we just moved to florida... and... i'm trying to do best for my family as I can...

Way to not answer the question.

>Reporter: You want to council your daughter, she went too far, you wanna keep her safe, did you go for help?

>Mother: um, we tried to reach out to people, and... they keep blaming my daughter, they locked her in a mental institution,.. for three days, and just kept blaming my daughrer, and my daughter said she did not do that...

Hmm, I wonder why.

I apologize for the humongous post, but this is a subject that's been bothering me lately. This family of ******s is living proof of the shitty society we're living in, where everybody refuses to take responsibility for their actions and their family's actions. These people are unfit to raise a child. Fuck.

Edit: Not to mention that half of that entire interview, the mother lied through her teeth to garner sympathy from the media. Her daughter was seen on Stickam immediately following the incident with her father, as well as 2, 3, and 4 days after the incident, talking about how happy she is that all of this happened, because "any fame is good fame." Her parents still don't monitor her internet usage. She was never institutionalized, nor did she have to go to counciling.

Edit: I found the CNN interview with her mother:
[youtube]lDiN8zfmFSI[/youtube]

The problem is that the Internet can expose you more than you think if you're not careful. Too many trolls who, quite frankly, should be locked up, and hollow threats that can be handled the wrong way are just a few problems online. The major one, I believe, is that the cyberculture isn't relevant to everyone, so "n00bz" come off as ignorant and stupid. The world is pretty much ignorant and it's why we have people committing suicide cuz some people on Bebo called a stupid, total poseur kid "emo" or something along those lines.

sigh.. its an oxymoron really. You hear about girls on the news killing themselves and it disrupting schools and upsetting people but you forget that the computer has an off button. How can you be bullied on face book or myspace when you control what page you view, who can post on your own page, and their is a block option and a reporting option. On the IM back when I was a bit young in the early 2000s I'd fight with people all the time on yahoo or aim. I could ignore them, respond, block, but routinely I would flood and kick them off line. You can restrict who IMs you.
I have been made a pariah on countless forums but was able to hold my own against "trolls", the pack, the bandwagoners, and people who caused me to coin the term "internet warrior".

They always say internet bullying but never put it in context. How are they specifically being bullied in a way that offers no defenses or retreat option? And its always girls, thats why you cant use common sense which i stated above to squash and quell this shit because when there is conflict the skewed thought process of the lesser gender just gets even more illogical. :disappointed: turn your damn computer off. When I got bullied back in the day I was pushed, shouted at, encircled. I wish in that situation I could push the block button on AOL Instant messenger..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back