Brutus Magnus: Voted Most Charismatic English Wrestler Of All Time In A Recent Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y 2 Jake

Slightly Autistic
As voted for my me.

TNA, in the ir posession have a key. A key to global dominance. In Europe. That key is Brutus Magnus. Shit name, can't wrestle for shit, but he can talk. What is that you say, shit promos? Fuck you, shit writing. Have none of you watched Gladiators. The guy is an improvisational genius. So what if Gladiators got cancelled.

Anyway, Brutus Magnus is easily the most charismatic English wrestler of all time. TNA should push him to the moon, agree?

Regal > Magnus.

Maybe Burchill too. If you were going for pure charisma and not mic skills, British Bulldog > all.

William regal most charismatic English wrestler

Great point, only it's not. People have only been intrested in Regal when he was a comedy character. When he's serious people couldn't care less about him. For how much of his career has he been a bore? About 3/4, I think. Brutus on the other hand is a deadly serious character and he get's a decent reaction. He also doesn't have the wrestling skills to fall back on like William Regal.

Maybe Burchill too.

Only Burchill hasn't been over since 2004 when he last wrestled in FWA. He's got no charisma.

If you were going for pure charisma and not mic skills, British Bulldog > all.

But The Bulldog didn't even have dilited charisma! What was charismatic about him? His abilty to share heat with Owen Hart? Or his talent for getting British people to react to a character called The British Bulldog who wore Union Jack tights?

Awesome thread Jake.

Looking at the possiblities, Bulldog was a great muscle guy who was at his best alongside a smaller guy who could fly around him. He was average on the mic at best.

Burchill is a good talent, is agile and charismatic when he gets the chance to show it. Hasn't happened in five years.

Regal shines in comedy and has the ring skills to back it up. Yet he is a painfully boring serious heel.

Magnus has been in pro wrestling for less than a year or two , is a pretty vanilla muscle guy and is saddled with such an crap gladiator gimmick. Yet I think he has real potential and is in the right company to let these new skills develop. If TNA give him room to grow (and putting him and Doug Williams together is golden) they could have a really talented big guy on the hands in the mould of the Bulldog.

I'm still rather heftily confused as to why a GREAT Roman so great, he calls himself "Brutus the Great" would be called "English". What is this "Angalind" they claim he comes from? I thought a gladiator with a name like Decumius Iunius Brutus Magnus would be pure-bred thorough-stock Roman.

My point being, TNA is fucking stupid for having an English guy play a Roman, then totally ditch that thing and keep the fucking Roman name. Thus far as I've seen him, the only noteworthy thing about him is he looks kind of like Jonathan Hammond from "The Mummy" movies, and he wiggles his head stupidly as a taunt, and shakes hands with Generic Briton I refer to as TEH DOUG!

I would have to argue that the British Bulldog, during his run towards the IC championship at Summerslam, was the most charismatic Englishmen. The outpouring of emotion from the outcome of that match and the genuine affection that all fans showed towards Davey Boy during this time period was palpable and well deserved.

It was before and after this period that Davey Boy lost some of his luster when he was tagging with the Dynamite Kid and Owen Hart. He just became the "Marty Jannetty" of the team, unfortunately.

I've only seen Brutus Magnus briefly in TNA and I can't really say I have seen him do anything overly impressive yet, be it in the ring or on the mic. Maybe time will tell and he will change my mind once TNA gives the younger talent to really come out and shine. TNA seems to interested in pushing the old guys like poor WCW before it.

haha so the complaint on regal is he's only been entertaining 1/4 of his career? years wise, that's still more than what brutus magnus has done. we can't even go based on years because magnus hasn't wrestled for a year in tna. You're talking about how great mic skills Magnus has, and Regal has that too. But your complaint with Regal is something irrelevant about having been a bore for 3/4 of a career, while you make outrageously unproven claims about a guy who didn't get over in his first gimmick, so changes to wearing Union Jack tights, which were the same tights that made up for British Bulldog's lack of charisma? Just a bit of consistency is asked so streams of logic can be followed.

But I digress. Forming the British Invasion was a great move by TNA. It's pretty much the Team Canada angle from a few years back, or at least can blossom into that, which is helpful for these guys' careers. Team Canada helped Eric Young, Petey Williams and Robert Roode fit into TNA. I don't know how much bigger this stable is going to get, it's probably fine where it is, but they have three different guys with three different styles and looks, and they'll probably be pretty successful.

I also like that "all-time" means "currently employed". Norman Smiley had the Eric Young type gimmick and was quite entertaining.

This British Invasion angle will help TNA get publicity overseas, but like you said with the British Bulldogs, how can this angle not work? But obviously when it was the British Bulldogs it was because of their outfits, but if the Invasion succeeds it's because of Magnus! haha

haha so the complaint on regal is he's only been entertaining 1/4 of his career?

Yes.

years wise, that's still more than what brutus magnus has done.

Hardly the fault of Brutai that Regal is so old.

we can't even go based on years because magnus hasn't wrestled for a year in tna.

He's a ten year vet on the gruelling European independant scene.

You're talking about how great mic skills Magnus has, and Regal has that too.

From the debut of Magnus in TNA, between the two who's shown the most personality?

But your complaint with Regal is something irrelevant about having been a bore for 3/4 of a career, while you make outrageously unproven claims about a guy who didn't get over in his first gimmick

But he was over with his first gimmick.

so changes to wearing Union Jack tights, which were the same tights that made up for British Bulldog's lack of charisma?

No, they're new. Brutus has 6 inches on the Bulldog. The tights wouldn't fit.

Just a bit of consistency is asked so streams of logic can be followed.

You want me to apply logic to a thread on a forum about wrestling? What kind of crazy world are you living in? Aren't you the guy who said Tony Atlas used to be somebody?

This British Invasion angle will help TNA get publicity overseas,

The Fiji islands?

But obviously when it was the British Bulldogs it was because of their outfits, but if the Invasion succeeds it's because of Magnus! haha

Matilda is what got the Bulldog team over.

I was unaware that because it's a wrestling forum, all opinions should be subjective and not make any sense. That being said, I'm going to say that Stone Cold Steve Austin is the most charismatic English superstar, because he speaks English. Or the Rock. Or Hulk Hogan even. What's the point of even thinking about these things if you're not going to think? Do you have that much free time where you just spew mindless sentences out to pass it by?

I was unaware that because it's a wrestling forum, all opinions should be subjective and not make any sense.

You don't have to be subjective and make no sense, but it helps.

That being said, I'm going to say that Stone Cold Steve Austin is the most charismatic English superstar, because he speaks English.

Only he's American. And everybody outside of America knows that Americans don't actually speak English.

Or the Rock.

American Samoan.

Or Hulk Hogan even.
He's English?

What's the point of even thinking about these things if you're not going to think?

Not sure if that sentence works.

Do you have that much free time where you just spew mindless sentences out to pass it by?

If I didn't have free time, would I be on a forum?

All I'm saying is that in a poll conducted by me, about who is the most charismatic English wrestler of all time, the winner was Brutus Magnus.

First off am I the only one who thinks William Regal is grossly misused by the WWE? I honestly think Regal should be main eventing smackdown wearing the world title around his waist as the only reason i see for him being boring is because they give him a super serious gimmick but then have him wrestle like a scarred little bitch i mean really? Sorry about that but Brutus magnums I mean Magnus.... <,< just reminds me of the 300 movie THIS IS SPARTA!!!! I mean really now give the guy some actual gimmick let him wrestle and speak then i will compare him to the greatest in William Regal.

Only Burchill hasn't been over since 2004 when he last wrestled in FWA. He's got no charisma.

When has he ever been given a serious chance? The pirate lasted for a short while and got him really over.

But The Bulldog didn't even have dilited charisma! What was charismatic about him? His abilty to share heat with Owen Hart? Or his talent for getting British people to react to a character called The British Bulldog who wore Union Jack tights?

Ahh, now I understand this topic. You don't have a clue what charisma is. Jeff Hardy, The Undertaker and Benoit have/had charisma, but not mic skills. They had an aura, a connection to the fans and denying Bulldog had that is idiotic.

Great point, only it's not. People have only been intrested in Regal when he was a comedy character. When he's serious people couldn't care less about him.

Much like Brutus Magnus. Yeah he's decent, but nothing more.

Or his talent for getting British people to react to a character called The British Bulldog who wore Union Jack tights?

Srsly, whut? You've watched Magnus recently, yeah?

You go on about Regal being boring right now, but thats how the WWE like their big heels at this current time. Talking slowly, in monosyllables, stretching words. Look at Jericho, Orton, JBL, Regal, Kozlov.

First off am I the only one who thinks William Regal is grossly misused by the WWE?

Most likely, yes.

I honestly think Regal should be main eventing smackdown wearing the world title around his waist

dDon't say that in the TNA forum. It's the sort of harebrained ideas that company is after.

as the only reason i see for him being boring is because they give him a super serious gimmick but then have him wrestle like a scarred little bitch i mean really?

That gimmick got him his biggest push in years, so you can't really complain.

Sorry about that but Brutus magnums I mean Magnus.... <,< just reminds me of the 300 movie THIS IS SPARTA!!!!

Kinda the idea.

I mean really now give the guy some actual gimmick let him wrestle and speak then i will compare him to the greatest in William Regal.

Umm, but he has got a gimmick, he does wrestle and he does speak. So, um, yeah.

When has he ever been given a serious chance? The pirate lasted for a short while and got him really over.

You say serious chance then you talk about the pirate gimmick. I don't know what to say.

You don't have a clue what charisma is.

The ability to be intresting?

Jeff Hardy, The Undertaker and Benoit have/had charisma, but not mic skills.

All had/have mic skills though.

They had an aura, a connection to the fans

Like The Great Khali?

and denying Bulldog had that is idiotic.

Not really. More over than The Anvil, less over than everyone else in the Hart Foundation. Look at the Allied Powers.

Much like Brutus Magnus. Yeah he's decent, but nothing more.

Actually, Magnus is shit. But he's just so darn charismatic.

Srsly, whut? You've watched Magnus recently, yeah?

You've taken that quote out of context. But to answer your question, no.

You go on about Regal being boring right now, but thats how the WWE like their big heels at this current time. Talking slowly, in monosyllables, stretching words. Look at Jericho, Orton, JBL, Regal, Kozlov.

But Regal was doing that 5 years ago?

Now I have stopped watching TNA (they released a few too many good young wrestlers and I personally don't wanna watch a borderline crippled Mick Foley do half the job he was doing 5 years ago. its sad) but what I've seen of Brutus Magnus is good. As to whether he's as good as Regal, only time will tell. you don't get to stay in the top companies as Regal has for the better part of 15 years and have no talent. Look at Finlay. He was nothing for years, and even when he did make it, it was later than Regal, and isn't as big as him, so slating Regal means nothing. Saying that, Magnus is promising wrestler and I hope he will go far. Also its good to see a wrestler from Britain who's entire gimmick isn't that he is...British.

Couple of notes in this discussion:

1) I think the gladiator gimmick is because he was a star of the British version of the Gladiators.

2) English is more than a language. Believe it or not, there is an actual country called England. I live there. So to be English,. you have to have been born in England, or at least have direct English Ancestry (thank you Owen Hargreaves, lol) thus rendering Stone Cold (Texas Rattlesnake?), The Rock (I never got the Brahma Bull Nickname with Breahma being something to do with a Hindu God I believe, or a tasty Brazillian beer), Hulk Hogan (Real American) non-English.

3) British Bulldog...No Charisma? Are you joking? Ok, so I suppose headlining Summerslam with the Intercontinental title on the line can only be done by someone lacking? His Mic. skills were dodgy, but thats only because his accent seemed to change every week (he was from Wigan but sounded like he was from Manchester one week and Leeds the next) and no doubt the accent would have faded, thus making it harder for him. Come on people!

3) British Bulldog...No Charisma? Are you joking?

I'm not, surprisingly.

Ok, so I suppose headlining Summerslam with the Intercontinental title on the line can only be done by someone lacking?

It went on last, but Saave & Warrior were part of the double main event as well. Two wrestlers who helped sell out WrestleMania's. Along with it being the first WWE PPV in England, and WWE being huge here at the time.

Bulldog must've been a draw for some fans. But he wasn't the reason that show was a success. It would've been without him. As the tour after he was fired in 1992 proved.

His Mic. skills were dodgy, but thats only because his accent seemed to change every week (he was from Wigan but sounded like he was from Manchester one week and Leeds the next) and no doubt the accent would have faded, thus making it harder for him. Come on people!

That's not something Americans would notice. Wigan/Manchester/Leeds accents, all the same to them.

Whichever "poll" must have not have had many in cos in no post so far mentioned is the winner... or that Britain is a country made of of 4 smaller ones...Finlay is British but from Northern Ireland yet wrestled and lived in England for his whole career yet he is not mentioned and has headlined PPV's for WWE...

There is only one person with a true claim to the title and it is Big Daddy Shirley Crabtree...

The man single handedly made a nation tune in to watch wrestling on a saturday afternoon in the 70's and 80's... he had a promotion built around him, the crowd in the palm of his hand... Kids loved him, parents loved the message he sent and he was a mainstream media star like no other in that era...

As a worker, awful... but the charisma was miles ahead of anyone since... and he worked with amazingly over and charismatic guys like Rollerball Rocco, Kendo Nagasaki, Giant Haystacks/Loch Ness, Mick McManus and "Exotic" Adrian Street, who definitley did get over in the US as a flamboyant effeminate heel...

Rubbish poll... voted for by people who know nothing about UK wrestling or Smarks who ain't as knowledgeable as they would think they are...

Whichever "poll" must have not have had many in cos in no post so far mentioned is the winner... or that Britain is a country made of of 4 smaller ones...Finlay is British but from Northern Ireland yet wrestled and lived in England for his whole career yet he is not mentioned and has headlined PPV's for WWE...

Finaly isn't English. If we're adding Irish people then Hornswoggle would win.

There is only one person with a true claim to the title and it is Big Daddy Shirley Crabtree...

Damn you. You got me.

The man single handedly made a nation tune in to watch wrestling on a saturday afternoon in the 70's and 80's... he had a promotion built around him, the crowd in the palm of his hand... Kids loved him, parents loved the message he sent and he was a mainstream media star like no other in that era...

Yeah, but what's he done lately.

He's also the reason the British wrestling scene died.

Rubbish poll... voted for by people who know nothing about UK wrestling or Smarks who ain't as knowledgeable as they would think they are...

It's a poll of one, I thought I established this. Anyway, I know plenty about the UK wrestling scene. I watched more World Of Sport than I ever needed to, I've got the DVD's and I've even read books. None of it good, which only proves my dedication.

I know this thread is about Magnus, but I felt I needed to vent on William Regal. Regal by far passes ANY European wrestler on the mic and his in ring skills. Many of you find him as a heel "boring", but Regal is built for the heel role. His run a the GM of Raw was great, and how the WWE sees Vickie as a better GM is beyond me. I would love to see Regal as GM again, and abuse his power to give himself a title shot much as Mick Foley did/doing in TNA. What are your thoughts?

I know this thread is about Magnus, but I felt I needed to vent on William Regal. Regal by far passes ANY European wrestler on the mic and his in ring skills. Many of you find him as a heel "boring", but Regal is built for the heel role. His run a the GM of Raw was great, and how the WWE sees Vickie as a better GM is beyond me. I would love to see Regal as GM again, and abuse his power to give himself a title shot much as Mick Foley did/doing in TNA. What are your thoughts?

Yeah I like Regal. But I'm a minority. His ring skills don't mesh well with hardly anybody in WWE and his in ring work bores most of the fans. If people shouted boring you'd know they were awake. Shame they don't.

We could do an estimated percentage game. You ask everybody at Raw who cares about Regal, you ask everybody at iMPACT who cares about Magnus. Neither would get many people holding up their hands saying they care about them, but it's safe to say Magnus would win the game.

I'm not, surprisingly.

No doubt. thats called a 'rhetorical' question.

It went on last, but Saave & Warrior were part of the double main event as well. Two wrestlers who helped sell out WrestleMania's. Along with it being the first WWE PPV in England, and WWE being huge here at the time.

Bulldog must've been a draw for some fans. But he wasn't the reason that show was a success. It would've been without him. As the tour after he was fired in 1992 proved.

I fully acknowledge that, but still, its quite an achievement. In my opinion at least, he had charisma, or ring presence, whatever you want to call it. He did command that ring, and with a gimmick that is one dimensional if not weak, he seemed to carve a pretty good career out of it, and somthing that his son is going on to prove. If he didn't have charisma, Dynamite Kid didn't, so how do you explain the popularity of both in America and the rest of the world?

That's not something Americans would notice. Wigan/Manchester/Leeds accents, all the same to them.

I know that, but on the mic, his accent was fading and changing with all of the time he spent in America/Canada, thus making it harder for him to cut promo's maintaining the same accent. I don't think he done many promo's alone really, but why would he need to when he had people like Owen Hart to do it for him? Surely thats a luxury of being in a stable.

I would like to point out to THTRobtaylor that I did mention Finlay, but not actually bring him into the argument. He is British (He's not Irish, he's Northern Irish. Its like calling a Mexican an American as in United States) and also the thread is about Most Charismatic English Wrestler Of All Time, not British. I would also like to point out Mick McManus was a better wrestler than Big Daddy. I do like the fact that he has been brought into this argument though, especially as we are talking about Most Charismatic English Wrestler Of All Time. I still place Davey Boy Smith above him, almost entirely due to the volume of people he entertained at a time. You have to remember in England, we have a relatively small population in comparison to America and all of the other nations who watched WWF/WCW at that time.

Finaly isn't English. If we're adding Irish people then Hornswoggle would win.

I would like to make it known that Hornswoggle is from Wisconsin. Nowhere near Ireland.

No doubt. thats called a 'rhetorical' question.

You should have said.

If he didn't have charisma, Dynamite Kid didn't, so how do you explain the popularity of both in America and the rest of the world?

With Dynamite it was the ability to put on some rather good matches. With the Bulldog it was his association with Owen Hart, Bret Hart, Jim Cornette and others. You only have to look at him when he's not side by side with somebody with lots of personality to see how dull he was.

I also don't think The Bulldogs were incredibly popular in America. Certainly well liked, but nothing more. Not with casuals anyway.

I know that, but on the mic, his accent was fading and changing with all of the time he spent in America/Canada, thus making it harder for him to cut promo's maintaining the same accent. I don't think he done many promo's alone really, but why would he need to when he had people like Owen Hart to do it for him? Surely thats a luxury of being in a stable.

It was probably drugs that made his accent change.

I always thought the idea of a stable was to help wrestlers out once they left that stable?

I would like to make it known that Hornswoggle is from Wisconsin. Nowhere near Ireland.

I's pretty close, imo.

You should have said.

I thought it was a given considering you'd outlined it. Even your response was sarcastic.

With Dynamite it was the ability to put on some rather good matches. With the Bulldog it was his association with Owen Hart, Bret Hart, Jim Cornette and others. You only have to look at him when he's not side by side with somebody with lots of personality to see how dull he was.

I'll agree with you on the Dynamite Kids ability. Thats what won the crowd over. But around the time of that Summerslam Main Event, I think he did have the charisma to go it alone. He worked well in that time. Also he came back into an upper card status and done well enough (if only for a short time) in 2000. I'm not saying this was vintage Bulldog, but the gimmick was dropped and he still held his own until his wife left him and he went into rehab.

I also don't think The Bulldogs were incredibly popular in America. Certainly well liked, but nothing more. Not with casuals anyway.

You see I would have agreed with you a few months ago, but they seem pretty loved in these forums, so I don't know.

It was probably drugs that made his accent change.

Good point, I hadn't really thought of that. Shame though, eh?

I always thought the idea of a stable was to help wrestlers out once they left that stable?

I guess it was, but I guess his mic skills didn't improve enough. It would have been good to see how he would do without the British gimmick as a singles wrestler for a while though, just to test him fully.

I's pretty close, imo.

lol

To me, this post only goes to show that nobody can really pinpoint exactly what "charisma" is. There have been so many different points of view, with totally different reasoning, that I am positive that some people have a different definition of the word.

That said, and keep in mind that I have never seen Big Shirley or many of the British Indy guys wrestle, but I can't remember a single English wrestler that has what I would call above average charisma. Shawn Michaels has charisma, The Great Muta has charisma, hell, MVP has charisma, but I haven't seen a single English worker that I would say is anything special in the charisma department. The English wrestlers I have seen are for the most part more technically sound than their American counterparts, probably because most of them were legit shoot fighters. Does the British Indy scene value in ring work rate more than the American scene? Based on the type of wrestler that usually migrates to the US from the UK, I would guess so, but again, I am not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back