Bring back CM Punk, The Straight Edge Messiah

NegativeFeedback

Mid-Card Championship Winner
A few points I want to make here. Fist of all, I want a complete DVD set solely focused on the exploits of CM Punk and the Straight Edge Society. Everything they did was pure gold. Secondly, I want to know if it would be feasible to bring the Straight Edge Messiah back.

The best incarnation of CM Punk was his amazing turn as the Straight Edge Savior who shaved heads and saved them from their vices, eventually getting three people to join him (Festus, Joey Mercury and Serena). He would cut really amazing promos about people's addictions to various things including drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, violence, ignorance, etc. He would be really creative with his segments like the "Happy Birthday" segment and throwing various vices in the trash. I especially loved his intermittent promos in the Elimination Chamber where he told the competitors in the pods that when he beats them and pins them, he'll be saving them. He was pure gold, but the Raw viewers hardly ever got to see him perform.

I would love to see the Straight Edge Messiah back on my screen. I know Punk is very successful in his renegade persona now, but I think it's been enough time that the SXE Savior will feel FRESH and NEW to the Raw audience. Plus, it would be able to lead to a really good feud with Steve Austin if they ever wanted to do it. Just have Punk slowly crack until he eventually reverts to his superior than thou persona. It would be amazing TV.

If you're not familiar with his work, enjoy what you missed:
[YOUTUBE]dHeET5b4q70[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]H8LUszdvkPk[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]4xfGa1ED0pc[/YOUTUBE] (6:20)
[YOUTUBE]ITGeLbMajVQ[/YOUTUBE] (at 8:05, and then again at 16:00 after eliminating R-Truth).
[YOUTUBE]zej1K9B658o[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]t04r9_Doo84[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]W08xZR_00-8[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]5ZFUvmBfGyA[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]-nmLkYDsWE4[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]pF6Hgl4aJOw[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]eeAVVzZuTqo[/YOUTUBE]

I reckon that ship has sailed. Although I hate the current babyface CM Punk, he should keep this gimmick, kind of, but maybe tweak it and be a bit more like he was in 2011 - the tweener. Before he retires I would like to see CM Punk leading a stable of some sort, as a heel obviously.

Until at least the shield breaks up no too many stables. Cm Punk as a face is fine he could be a bit more provocative rather then having guys attack him he could go pick fights but largely hes still cutting good promos and WWE needs guys who can work as a face as well as he can because majority of guys can only work their best as heels

I disagree with everything he touched turned to gold. Mostly it was good but his feud with R-Truth and when he threw the cigarettrs in the garbage was so damn boring he put me to sleep literally. I wouldn't mind seeing him as the straight edge savior again though that would be awesome but it would have to come later down the road if he were to lead a stable again but hopefully it would be better people than the jobbers he had in SES.

ses cm punk is just a good wrestler. But after his pipe bomb promo he eventually became a main eventer. He is more over than cena on fan base. So no way to go back to ses like stable.

yes i would love to see him bring back the straight edge society. that was awesome.the evangelical preacher type, you could tell he had a blast with that. if you need to you can put your hand on the screen and repent for all the bad you have done ha ha. he needed some more star power in the group imo. he helped get festus/luke out of his drug sedation ha. he pissed off a lot of thumpers. i just loved it

I loved the SES, I saw them live and wanted to jump in the ring with them. But those promos and cowardly antics that Punk used were just funny. I'd love to see him get fed up with everyone and everything again cutting promos with a paper bag, then he pulls out the mask thus putting it on.

CM Punk as a heel just never clicked for me. I can't buy a Straight Edge guy as a heel. That entire run, Punk was the face in every feud he had in my book. I enjoyed the SES gimmick, but the people he had with him were crap. Stick him with better followers, keep him a face, and it could work.

Although this is seen by many as Punk's best gimmick, after all it became boring. The segments of Punk as a Messiah became repetitive every Smackdown. It was like with Jericho already on the roster, do we need another slow talking heel with a powerful vocabulary?

I think the Straight Edge Society has sailed. Personally, I think it was an opportunity that WWE missed out on, but that's not surprising as there were plenty of missed opportunities when Johnny Ace was running things. If they'd have allowed Gallows & Serena to evolve, and if Serena could keep from going out to the bars & getting shitfaced, then they could've had a well rounded stable.

It's possible WWE could start it up again and I think it'd have a better shot of succeeding. Triple H isn't just an automatic yes man to Vince the way Big Johnny was and I think he'd be able to see the SES as a means of introducing some top talent to the main roster from NXT. I'd do away with the disciples being ultimately mindless followers, but bring their own characters into things. For instance, Paige could easily fit into the mold of the SES while integrating her Anti-Diva persona into the role. Punk himself could adopt a more militant attitude rather than the smarmy one the first time around. While he was great, this would keep the character from feeling redundant. Rather than going on about the evils of drugs, booze, cigarettes or whatever, expand the group's definition of what Straight Edge means. For instance, Straight Edge could mean more than keeping your body & mind cleansed of toxins, at least for WWE storyline purposes, and could be expanded to mean someone who rages against the system itself. A system that breeds people who are weak in mind, body & soul. In this case, the system is WWE and the weak people are WWE Superstars & Divas. The SES could go about with the notion that WWE pushes certain people and gives them opportunities based on how they look rather than whether or not they possess any real talent. The fans themselves could also be targeted for, in the view of the SES, supporting and cheering for such mediocrity and weakness.

At the same time, however, a lot of people like Punk as he is because he's someone that they genuinely and truly want to cheer for.

Why would WWE bring back the Straight Edge Society? It was a little bit of fun while it lasted, but Punk has come a very long way since then. It would be counter-productive and insulting to Punk to have him return to leading a stable of low-carders based on their lifestyle choices. He is not too far removed from the longest WWE Championship reign in two-and-a-half decades and he is still firmly entrenched in the main event picture. There's no reason to switch his gimmick, nor is there any reason to task him with putting over rookies and/or slow-starters again.

Why would WWE bring back the Straight Edge Society? It was a little bit of fun while it lasted, but Punk has come a very long way since then. It would be counter-productive and insulting to Punk to have him return to leading a stable of low-carders based on their lifestyle choices. He is not too far removed from the longest WWE Championship reign in two-and-a-half decades and he is still firmly entrenched in the main event picture. There's no reason to switch his gimmick, nor is there any reason to task him with putting over rookies and/or slow-starters again.

I don't think he should bring back the Straight Edge Society. I'm saying he should bring back his Straight Edge Messiah persona. I for one don't think he needs a stable, but I want him to be the holier-than-thou preacher who thinks he is better because he doesn't succumb to vices. He doesn't need a stable to make the gimmick work.

I thought the Straight Edge Messiah deserved a title run. I remember wishing that Punk should have been drafted to Raw and taken the title off of Cena instead of Sheamus. That would have been an amazing run on Raw if they had allowed it.

I'd say, if anything, toss him in the Wyatt Family and let him feud with Daniel Bryan after Mania. Bray feuds with Cena while Punk feuds with Bryan. It would be one brand new feud to help get a heel over and one not so new feud that all the fans want to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back