Bray Wyatt's promo--boring?

Olan

Getting Noticed By Management
So last night, 7/14 RAW, during the Bray Wyatt promo the crowd started chanted 'This is boring'.
This was a surprise to me. The crowds usually eat up every Wyatt promo.
Was this a sign of Wyatt losing some of his Oomph? Was this due to being in battling promos with Chris Jericho? Was this just a one off due to the crowd?

Bray Wyatt didn't dumb it down enough for those idiots to understand, so they crapped on it. It's funny how they still put up their cellphones when the lights went dim.

Wyatt's promo are always so nonsensical and abstract that I tuned him out months ago. Instead of just saying something, he babbles on about this and that....no wonder fans are starting to think he's boring. He makes no sense when talks.

Wyatt's promo are always so nonsensical and abstract that I tuned him out months ago. Instead of just saying something, he babbles on about this and that....no wonder fans are starting to think he's boring. He makes no sense when talks.

He does make sense. He talks in riddles mixed with nonsense in a religious zealot-like voice. That's his gimmick. He's supposed to come across as nonsensical, like almost any cult leader. Have you heard Charles Manson talk? Guy's an absolute nutter.

Exactly. But some fans don't want nonsense. They don't want riddles. They don't want Charles Manson. Hence, the boring chant.

Exactly. But some fans don't want nonsense. They don't want riddles. They don't want Charles Manson. Hence, the boring chant.

Fair point, can easily understand that. Personally I think it's a breath of fresh air, especially in comparison to Cena's awkward working of the crowd, or Orton/Del Rio being incredibly bland while occasionally cutting really generic heel promos.

I would disagree that they're completely nonsensical. They were up until his feud with Cena. That's when he started saying something that actually made some sense.

The problem I see so far with his Jericho feud (which is still very early so this could change) is that what he's saying is practically the same things he said in his Cena feud. Now this could be said about many professional wrestlers. It's inherent in the business when you cut so many. Now if this were a thread about many other wrestlers, the OP would get constant agreement that it was boring. It's the double standard that's rampant throughout the IWC.

One reason Wyatt is so loved is that he's "fresh", simply because his style and character are so different. Different character and style don't necessarily make someone good though. The Shockmaster was different. Tensai was different.

When it comes to quality of his promos, his delivery is very good. His pacing, tone and pitch are often spot on for his character. It's an aspect of promo cutting too many don't understand. Sheamus gets a lot of hate. He's very good at delivery. His corny content is the problem, but since that's his character you can't blame him.

As for reasons he got "boring" chants?
A) Because he was doing a promo against Jericho with a more casual heavy crowd?
B) Because his nonsensical promos are starting to get boring to casuals? I assume it was casuals because the chant wasn't the loudest.

I put question marks at the end because I'm not sure. One thing I will say is that when you cut promos that are the rambling or nonsensical type, they will get old faster than a more normal style. The audience will eventually get tired of deciphering. It's the reason you don't hear Undertaker or Kane cut promos very often or for very long when they do. This is actually a reason I assumed others around here have said they're not sure if Wyatt's character has staying power. Undertaker pulled it off though.

I think the crowd was just being a true wrestling crowd, they cheered the faces and they booed the heels like they suppose too. (The only exception would have been Cena)
It may be a possibility that people are just quickly becoming generally bored with Bray Wyatt.
I do agree with some, that Wyatt seems to be saying the same thing to Jericho that he's been telling Cena though. If I was Bray/Creatives I would do more backstage segments were the Wyatts are stalking Jericho or something, like the little vignettes they had when the debuted. This isn't going to change anyones opinion of Bray, but hopefully this was just a one time only crowd.

The crowd chanted "this is boring" because that WAS boring. Simple as that. All of Wyatt's promos are boring, this just happened to be a crowd made up of a majority of people who aren't jumping all over his bandwagon. He's been on the main roster for a year now and has still not given ONE great promo.

Wyatt should cut down on the cryptic-ness a bit. He is a guy that talks big but fails when it matters. So at one point, he just comes off as a fake priest blabbering nonsense. Plus, if you leave the cryptic stuff out, most of the things he says are kind of repetitive. Something like "World says there is hope, but there is no hope", "You preach that there is faith; but there is none", "Save us Chris, Save us!" etc., and that stupid song and the hmhmhmhmhm laugh... I don't blame the crowd, really. Take note, Wyatt. Monday night it was 100 people. Next week could be 200. At Summerslam, it can be 2000 people chanting "boring". Don't be Cena. Evolve.

Honestly, I think it's WWE's fault. Bray Wyatt is a character you have to take a "less is more" approach with. I love his promos, but really, how much original content can you realistically get out of these? Hearing Wyatt speak should be a treat, not a twice a week occurrence.

Bray Wyatt is a character you have to take a "less is more" approach with.

Agreed. In fact, all talking segments have to be kept brief; even the Authority spots at the beginning of the program lose their effectiveness when they run too long.....and, at least, Triple H & Stephanie are easy to understand.

It's hard enough to keep the audience's interest when matches are in progress; we continually see bodies flying through the air....and the crowd directing their glances anywhere but the ring. If the action they came for doesn't keep 'em engaged, how are Bray's ethereal rants gonna do it?

Keep it short, Bray. Either that, or don't give it to us every time you appear on camera.

It was a rather surprise that the crowd did chant This Is Boring. One thing though,Bray Wyatt can deliver a Promo,his pitch and delivery are spot on.. Gets a reaction no matter where he goes.. Losing to Cena though,really has hurt him though in the long run..

When you preach about the same thing essentially talk about different wrestlers,the crowd will become disengaged quickly.. Legends like Taker,and Kane dont cut promos all that much,but when they do they have major impact.. They Evolve!

I dont mind deciphering from time to time,but not all the time.. This is what IMO is hurting Bray Wyatt. We the audience would like a normal promo without guessing what he is saying.. Cut to the chase.

Less is more Bray,your character stay is already in question not sure if you have the long term power to stick around character wise.. When you appear on camera a promo twice a week is not necessary.. Bray is quickly going to lose his audience.. Evolve

Plain and simple, people on here are all in their feelings because Bray Wyatt got a John Cena type treatment with his promos, not being booed but being called "BORING" when fans shit on John Cena, they say on here "Cena deserves it" because he repeats the same shit (granted, and that's majorly true) and that "the crowds letting Cena know how they feel about him" (or for anyone else the IWC don't like, but immediately this turned onto Bray Wyatt, "the crowd is full of idiots" etc. I mean all I saw was "the crowd letting Bray know how they feel about him".

I find it odd that even though the crowd was chanting BORING at Wyatt, they all still held their phones up when the lights went out. I think the crowds still love the Wyatt character but they're beginning to get tired of Bray cutting 10-15 minute promos twice a week... I for one love Bray Wyatt and think the guy is brilliant but than again, the casual fans attention span nowadays is shorter than it's ever been. They want to see something different from Bray and the family.

I think it's time for Bray Wyatt and the family to start pulling some MOD Undertaker stunts. Have Bray start to become a darker and scarier version of a psychopath instead of the smiling, laughing person who wants the fans to "join him". Actually turn on the crowds and start saying, the WWE Universe is tainted by them and their fickleness and the WWE needs to be purged. Have the family kidnap people, chain them up, perform dark rituals on them in front of the crowd. Have Bray stand at the top of the entrance ramp with blood covering his face and clothes and than just walk away. I understand PG may not leave a lot of leeway for a gimmick like this but I'm sure WWE can make this work.

I'll take it as a one-off incident from a vocal group of smarky fans. As others pointed out, despite the "boring" chants, fans in the arena took the time to hold up their cell phones in the dark. The fans still pop for The Wyatt's glitchy video, and Bray's "**insert random city** we're here" introduction. And whenever Wyatt starts The Whole World In His Hands song, the crowd sings along. Bray receives consistent reactions from live crowds, so we're not at a point, where we need to hit the panic button.

Although, I will say this. Bray's motivations for going after Jericho are still unclear, and the match is on Sunday. I can understand the need for patience and giving the story a chance to play out and develop, but the match is this Sunday, and we still don't have an idea for Bray's motivations.

Wyatt targeted Bryan, because he wanted to brainwash him into being one of his little minions, forcing Bryan to turn his back on the fans and ending his quest to fight 'the machine". With Cena, Bray was on a mission to expose him as a phony and a false idol. But when it comes to Jericho, we still don't have any real answers yet. Maybe they're saving the real story and Wyatt's big explanation for a Summerslam rematch, but a match is happening on Sunday, and we're not at a tip of the iceberg point yet with this feud. It's very strange and awkward.

I thought the storyline was that he was calling Jericho out for not going through with his promises? "Save us Jericho...other stuff...but we remember!" So it's like the fact Jericho failed to prevent a Bray Wyatt from getting his power I guess?

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about the chant to be fair it was a boring promo. I don't care if it's part of his character that's not the point. All that matters is to casual fans the promo was drawn out and accomplished nothing at all. Not to mention the attack on Jericho for the third week in a row?

All that being said, I watched Raw with my sister who usually doesn't watch and all she knows him for is "he's got the whole world" promo :S I managed to brief her on every guy who's about to get a push before Bray finished telling us...nothing :p

Don't worry until it happens a few more times.

I'll take it as a one-off incident from a vocal group of smarky fans. As others pointed out, despite the "boring" chants, fans in the arena took the time to hold up their cell phones in the dark. The fans still pop for The Wyatt's glitchy video, and Bray's "**insert random city** we're here" introduction. And whenever Wyatt starts The Whole World In His Hands song, the crowd sings along. Bray receives consistent reactions from live crowds, so we're not at a point, where we need to hit the panic button.

Although, I will say this. Bray's motivations for going after Jericho are still unclear, and the match is on Sunday. I can understand the need for patience and giving the story a chance to play out and develop, but the match is this Sunday, and we still don't have an idea for Bray's motivations.

Wyatt targeted Bryan, because he wanted to brainwash him into being one of his little minions, forcing Bryan to turn his back on the fans and ending his quest to fight 'the machine". With Cena, Bray was on a mission to expose him as a phony and a false idol. But when it comes to Jericho, we still don't have any real answers yet. Maybe they're saving the real story and Wyatt's big explanation for a Summerslam rematch, but a match is happening on Sunday, and we're not at a tip of the iceberg point yet with this feud. It's very strange and awkward.

They're not unclear at all. And I don't understand why they're running an angle saying they're unclear.

Back during one of Jericho's runs his gimmick was that he was there to "save" the WWE fans. But he didn't. Instead he left.

He's like a deadbeat parent. They come around and make promises and get your hopes up only to disappear again.

Jericho is a false savior.
Bray is challenging Jericho to make good on his word. He's said it more than once. "You said you were going to save us. Well then save us Chris."

As far as the crowd chanting goes. I was a little surprised when I heard it but fans are so fickle anyway. A small part of the crowd chanted about it being boring and that's fine.

It reminds me of a Mitch Hedberg joke

"You can't please all of the people all of the time and last night all of those people were at my show."

No Bray Wyatt's promos are not boring. Oh god. He's poised to be a big star. Don't ruin it. Please don't ruin it. You internet people ruin wrestling.

Honestly, I think it's WWE's fault. Bray Wyatt is a character you have to take a "less is more" approach with. I love his promos, but really, how much original content can you realistically get out of these? Hearing Wyatt speak should be a treat, not a twice a week occurrence.

This.

Bray Wyatt needs to use the Less is More approach to stay relevant long-term,lMO.
Make his appearances fewer, maybe every couple of weeks. He should be a character for long properly developed storylines with his two Followers having the regular appearances and doing his bidding without Bray having to show up Weekly.

If not, it will be hard for Bray to keep evolving enough to stay relevant with such a gimmick,lMO

I find it odd that even though the crowd was chanting BORING at Wyatt, they all still held their phones up when the lights went out. I think the crowds still love the Wyatt character but they're beginning to get tired of Bray cutting 10-15 minute promos twice a week... I for one love Bray Wyatt and think the guy is brilliant but than again, the casual fans attention span nowadays is shorter than it's ever been. They want to see something different from Bray and the family.

I think it's time for Bray Wyatt and the family to start pulling some MOD Undertaker stunts. Have Bray start to become a darker and scarier version of a psychopath instead of the smiling, laughing person who wants the fans to "join him". Actually turn on the crowds and start saying, the WWE Universe is tainted by them and their fickleness and the WWE needs to be purged. Have the family kidnap people, chain them up, perform dark rituals on them in front of the crowd. Have Bray stand at the top of the entrance ramp with blood covering his face and clothes and than just walk away. I understand PG may not leave a lot of leeway for a gimmick like this but I'm sure WWE can make this work.

Agree with this i like the idea of the creepy cult leader character and its obvious that bray is very good at playing that part and at delivering promos but my problem with the promos are that hardly anything seems to come out of them they are not clever clues to what hes planning next or future storylines or anything like that it is just well delivered pointless creepy rambling and its getting real old.the wyatts really could do with doing some actual cult familly style things like you mentioned.my interest in the wyatts would definitely be rekindled if they started doing things other then talking shit and randomly attacking people.

That's a great fucking idea except that WWE would never do it due to how Disneyfied they are now...Now if this were 1998/1999 and Wyatts were feuding with the Ministry or something, then it'd definitely work..That's the thing with the Wyatts..Great gimmick, perfect combination except that due to the WWE being PG, they're forever held back from doing things like you suggest they do...

How is Wyatt a threat to anyone? He keeps losing the big matches yet gets pushed. The family can't win the tag titles yet they get pushed. HHH called this the "Reality Era" - reality is Wyatt is Miley Cyrus, crammed down everyone's throat whether you like it or not. What's the character - charismatic cult leader, Deliverance ripoff, what? It isn't a matter of a boring promo, it is an undeveloped character. They just keep tossing him into situations even though it makes no sense. Decide what he is and get fully behind it. I look at him and I am not impressed as they hype him as this threat yet there is nothing to back that up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back