Flaw in Wyatt's booking

King_of_Swing1520

The King of Swing
maybe its just me but i feel like there is a major flaw in bray wyatt's character. the way he was booked during his feuds with bryan and cena, wins and loses didnt matter. he could lose 100 times but would keep coming back until he finally won the war. that was the hook. what would it take to stop bray wyatt? to stop his message? daniel bryan won their last match. he won the feud. but what made wyatt stop chasing him? john cena won their last match. again he won the feud. but what made wyatt stop going after cena?

wyatt cut a promo after the last man standing match saying he had become stronger than ever. that he had learned from his past encounters. so why not keep going after cena? wyatt basically gave up trying to turn bryan. he gave up trying to "release the monster" inside cena. he won the feud with kane but that never went anywhere. bray is supposed to be this unstopable force that can sway the masses but hes really never won anything. hes never succeeded in anything hes tried. even harper and rowen, while putting on some very good matches, never beat the usos when it mattered. to me his character has not gained any credibility. he has yet to win a major feud. why should i believe his pormos when so far he has not backed them up?

wyatt talks the talk but doesnt walk the walk.

Am I forgetting something here, was the last match between Bray Wyatt and Daniel Bryan not at Royal Rumble in which Bray won?

the way he was booked during his feuds with bryan and cena, wins and loses didnt matter.

You're right; with Bray, it's not whether he wins or loses that counts....it's how he dispenses his weird brand of justice. As to the rest of your concerns, remember: this is professional wrestling, where the same characters have to continually face one another in a series of feuds that pairs up competitors for relatively brief periods of time. If there were less PPVs a year, the company would be able to build the backgrounds of the "disagreements" more effectively during Raw and Smackdown, eventually leading to a showdown at the big show.....but since they're going to give us a PPV each month, things have to be settled quicker.

Of course, WWE has mitigated this by extending feuds over a multiple number of monthly wars, sometimes awkwardly forcing us to watch the same competitors fight over and over. In the case of Cena-Wyatt, Cena definitively won the feud by burying Bray in the third match. That's fine, but it's not as if we're expected to believe John killed Bray, or that Bray is finished as a competitor, right? No, we simply have to understand that this particular dispute is over for the time being.....and both guys will move onto something else.

I wouldn't call it a flaw in the booking.....although logic might make it seem that way. We can't make the mistake of confusing real life with pro wrestling. It's just the way an entertainment company with a limited number of main event people has to do things.

Bray Wyatt's problem is pretty much the same problem that I've come to expect out of all these major potential bad guys that are setup to eventually crumble. I expected it as soon as he started feuding with John Cena. Nothing ultimately evolved from that feud. Bray Wyatt was no longer as enthralling as he was prior to losing the feud. For all the talk Bray did, John Cena didn't change either. Sure, there was a good story, but neither guy really benefited in the end because they're right where they are before the feud began. Well, in Bray Wyatt's case, he's just less threatening. The way he won his feud against Daniel Bryan made him look legitimate as if he was capable of going through with his words or plans one way or another. He probably shouldn't have been booked to face John Cena so early on, because after that cage match they had where the constant interference lessened the effect of Bray's win, I just didn't see the same guy as I did before. I'm not saying Bray Wyatt should have or should get a clean victory over John Cena, but I do think he should have gotten a victory over John Cena similarly to how he got a victory over Daniel Bryan. A simple distraction and then Sister Abigail. He's now feuding with Chris Jericho. This isn't a bad thing per se, but if he doesn't win this feud (which I think he will), all that was built up to this point for his character won't really mean anything because he's not changing anyone with his words and certainly not beating them physically either. It's hard to buy into his character when there is no real payoff.

To some degree, I think the wins & losses matter. Wyatt has ultimately come out on the losing end of one feud thus far and look who that feud was against: John Cena, the resident Superman of professional wrestling. His brief feud with Daniel Bryan early this year resulted in a single match, a damn great match at that, and it was a match Wyatt won. Bryan was Wyatt's first real test, the first time we'd gotten an opportunity to see what Wyatt could do and he looked impressive. The loss did nothing to hurt Bryan and helped establish Wyatt as someone who could hang with the best in-ring guys in the company and do his part in putting on compelling matches.

Personally, I disagree with how Wyatt was booked during Extreme Rules since John Cena ultimately overcame all three Family members and only lost due to a fluke occurrence of that kid singing. That's the only real time Wyatt looked weak in my eyes. However, it didn't really hurt Wyatt all that much because it was against John Cena. Damn near everybody loses to John Cena, it's become what people expect to see happen, so Wyatt wasn't raked over the coals when it happened. His match with Jericho resulted in a loss just so Wyatt can win against Jericho at a much bigger venue, namely SummerSlam. With Jericho's win over Rowan this past Friday, Rowan won't be at ringside during their match. There's talk of Jericho having a match against Harper on Raw tonight in which Harper won't be at ringside at SummerSlam if he loses said match. When all is said & done with Jericho, he'll have done what he's done for the past several years: use his star power to elevate younger guys further while delivering strong matches and looking like a star himself. People know that, they expect it, hence Wyatt losing to Jericho at Battleground wasn't the end of the world.

Another thing about Wyatt is WWE isn't in a massive rush to push him too quickly, which is understandable. Given his appearance and the general messianic qualities of a cult leader that's central to his character, it's easy to forget that Bray Wyatt is only 27 years old. As with most aspects in WWE when it comes to internet fans, Bray Wyatt's success is something of a double edged sword. He's a compelling character that stands out, he's great on the mic and he's helped deliver some fantastic matches. As a result, it's natural that people wanna see him pushed and pushed hard. At the same time, look at the two prime examples of wrestlers in WWE who were given mega pushes quickly: John Cena and Randy Orton. Before both of them were 30 years old, they'd done just about everything there was to do in WWE and here they are today, both well into their 30s, and any number of fans, especially internet fans, calling them tired and stale; constantly harping on how tired they are of seeing stale ol' Cena & Orton on top of the mountain. Those complaints have merit, however, as it's true to a large degree. How do you keep two guys fresh that've been constantly pushed to such a degree that there's 27 World Championship wins between them? WWE goes down that road with Wyatt, then maybe fans are already burned out on him by the time he's 30, then here come criticisms. WWE wants to do all they can to avoid that happening with Wyatt, which means he may not get pushed as quickly as many would like, which means here comes criticism.

It's not just you; based on your expectations of a larger than life gimmick, you're disappointed to see Bray continue to extol himself as someone who can possibly make more noble performers behave in depraved ways only to fail everytime.

I like to leave the more insightful criticisms to people who are more committed to them. Me personally, I just check my brain with the topless brain girl at the door and watch WWE programming with a Beavis and Butthead level of low-brow expectation.

For me, Bray is getting into our heads as a mainstay regarding the continuity of the show. A show wouldn't seem complete if we don't get Bray waxing a philosophical mental meandering about a future opponent. The crowd seems into making a starry night effect with their smart phone lights. Win or lose, he's a tough guy to forget and lately his Mic work has been pretty damn impressive from a high-brow perspective.

The problem with Bray Wyatt isn't the booking, it's Bray Wyatt. He can't wrestle, and the fans are tiring of his boring, repetitive promos. Bray isn't the "next big thing" the IWC makes him out to be, he's just another midcard guy who will soon be lost in a sea of other midcard guys. Bray Wyatt is nothing special and people need to stop acting like he is.

maybe its just me but i feel like there is a major flaw in bray wyatt's character. the way he was booked during his feuds with bryan and cena, wins and loses didnt matter. he could lose 100 times but would keep coming back until he finally won the war. that was the hook. what would it take to stop bray wyatt? to stop his message? daniel bryan won their last match. he won the feud. but what made wyatt stop chasing him? john cena won their last match. again he won the feud. but what made wyatt stop going after cena?

wyatt cut a promo after the last man standing match saying he had become stronger than ever. that he had learned from his past encounters. so why not keep going after cena? wyatt basically gave up trying to turn bryan. he gave up trying to "release the monster" inside cena. he won the feud with kane but that never went anywhere. bray is supposed to be this unstopable force that can sway the masses but hes really never won anything. hes never succeeded in anything hes tried. even harper and rowen, while putting on some very good matches, never beat the usos when it mattered. to me his character has not gained any credibility. he has yet to win a major feud. why should i believe his pormos when so far he has not backed them up?

wyatt talks the talk but doesnt walk the walk.

I'm guessing it's because he's a heel. That makes him a liar and a coward. The real flaw in his booking is allowing him to say the name of every city he wrestles in to get a pop from the crowd. What the hell are they thinking with that?

That's not a flaw in Wyatt's booking, at least not those that you described. It's just booking, and NOT bad ones by my book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back