Bobby Petrino: Fired

Steamboat Ricky

WZCW's Living Legend
ESPN said:
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -- Arkansas fired head coach Bobby Petrino on Tuesday, publicly dressing him down for unfairly hiring his mistress and intentionally misleading his boss about everything from their relationship to her presence at the motorcycle accident that ultimately cost him his job.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7798429/arkansas-razorbacks-fire-bobby-petrino-coach

Seems like a no-brainer to me. Another bad decision by a coach with a riddled reputation. Who will Arkansas go after next?

Good riddance to Petrino. He is a great football coach but not exactly a man of high integrity. He signed a 10 year contract to stay at Louisville in 2006 and less then a year later he left to go to the NFL and coach the Falcons. He didn't even last a full season in the ATL leaving after 13 games in part probably because the Michael Vick situation put a damper on the team. He still quit on the rest of that roster regardless. Then he goes to Arkansas where everything seems to be going great and then this scandal happens. Petrino will likely coach again but he'll have to go to a smaller program.

If I'm Arkansas I just stick with Taver Johnson as the interim coach for this season and see what happens. The guy had some good success as the cornerbacks coach at OSU under Jim Tressell and he has already taken over Spring practices in Petrino's absence. You aren't going to find a big name at this point anyways.

Good riddance to Petrino. He is a great football coach but not exactly a man of high integrity. He signed a 10 year contract to stay at Louisville in 2006 and less then a year later he left to go to the NFL and coach the Falcons. He didn't even last a full season in the ATL leaving after 13 games in part probably because the Michael Vick situation put a damper on the team. He still quit on the rest of that roster regardless. Then he goes to Arkansas where everything seems to be going great and then this scandal happens. Petrino will likely coach again but he'll have to go to a smaller program.

If I'm Arkansas I just stick with Taver Johnson as the interim coach for this season and see what happens. The guy had some good success as the cornerbacks coach at OSU under Jim Tressell and he has already taken over Spring practices in Petrino's absence. You aren't going to find a big name at this point anyways.

Speaking of Tressell, I was wondering if they might go for a guy like him. I would say no, simply because of his track record of being somebody without much integrity. Most of the wondering was just trying to think of a big name that would even be available at the moment.

Maybe they will raid a non-AQ school?

Speaking of Tressell, I was wondering if they might go for a guy like him. I would say no, simply because of his track record of being somebody without much integrity. Most of the wondering was just trying to think of a big name that would even be available at the moment.

Maybe they will raid a non-AQ school?

I think Tressell is done with college and I also think Arkansas is going to go with a more high character guy. Arkansas will get somebody good but I don't think it will be until next offseason. A couple possible names are Kirby Smart and Skip Holtz. Smart has been Bama's defensive coordinator for the last 5 seasons and has obviously done a tremendous job. He was a DB at Georgia from the mid to late 90's so he knows the SEC from a playing and coaching perspective. He's also young at just 36.

Skip Holtz is an interesting name because his dad coached their for 7 years in the 70s and 80s so there is some history. Skip has also been known to run a very clean program and he has done a good job as head coach at smaller programs Connecticut, East Carolina, and now South Florida. If USF has a good season then Holtz's stock will rise.

Bobby Petrino was deserving of this punishment and I believe he believes that he got the right kind of punishment. I think Arkansas will suffer without a great football coach like Petrino but they'll be fine in 2 to 3 years.

He was just begging to get fired. There's a lot of wisdom in the old saying "Don't shit where you eat." He decided not only to have an affair with a student which is already a bad idea but then he decided to put his mistress on the school's payroll. Yep, no way that could possibly go wrong

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back