Blind, Deaf or Mute?

LilacFray

Unregistered User
Some of us may have already thought about this before, but for those who haven't - Ever wondered how different your life would be from what it is now, if you were either Blind, Deaf or Mute? Personally, I'd hate not being able to see my surroundings, since I take a great interest in what I see - so definitely not blind. Music plays a great part in my day and I don't know what a lonely soul I'd be if I couldn't hear what went on around me. Being the kind of person who doesn't always voice their opinion out loud, I know I'd rather be Mute and still enjoy being able to see and hear. Sure, I'd miss it dearly but I'd at least be content about what I'm not.

Some say they'd rather be blind.
Blind... I like to talk, and I love music. I can live without seeing ugly people's faces.

Some say they'd rather be deaf.
I would miss music, but I could always remember it in my mind. Deafness does seem the least disruptive of the three.

And some say they'd rather be mute.
Mute. im so introverted that im self-consious about it. at least then, i would have an excuse.

All these three things play an important part in our lives. But if you were to lose one of these, what would you rather it be?

Note: We're not speaking of being born in either ways but if we ended up in either of these states after some kind of accident.

I would want to be blind out of all three. Not exactly for the reasons you posted however lol. I would want to be blind out of all three because I do love to listen to stuff and I also love to talk. But the real reason is because I hope to get Daredevil like superpowers(Increased hearing,smelling,feeling,etc.).

Definitely mute.

Why the fuck do I need to talk? Hearing is without a doubt, out of the question. Music, television, voices of the people around me, the sound my girlfriend makes when we're doing it; all examples of things I need to hear in life. Blindness would be the absolute hardest to overcome. Being deaf or mute might take a while to get used to but blindness would cause me to give up on everything. What's the point, you can't see? For the rest of your life, you're going to need assistance for just about everything you do; shitting, having sex, walking down the street, watching TV, posting on Wrestlezone Forums. My eye sight is impossible to give up. I don't care about heightening my other senses. Being mute wouldn't affect me all that much. I could still communicate with my closest friends, girlfriend and others around me. Plus, that could be my excuse for ignoring the fucktards I come in contact with.

Well, without a doubt, I'd say "Mute" since I have some personal problems with my mouth that makes it difficult. So yes, without a doubt, mute.

Plus, women love guys who listen apparently. XD

Definitely rather be mute. There are ways to communicate and get your message across without having to physically speak. These forums are a perfect example of that. We have thousands of members who communicate with each other by typing what they want to say. We also text our friends, write on their Facebook walls, email people, express ourselves via Twitter, etc. All of which do not require a single verbal sound coming out of our mouths. Is writing perhaps slower than talking? Sure...it's not a perfect replacement by any means...but at least it's available as a replacement. It's a lot harder to replace sight and hearing like you can with speech.

Well, since I'm already deaf, I'd say if I had to suffer one of the three, that's the one I'd pick.

The worst thing about being deaf is not being able to hear music and other beautiful sounds of the world I remember from when I had my hearing. For practical purposes, though, I can communicate and be communicated with because of lip-reading and regular reading. With closed-captioning on my TV, I can enjoy that, too.

I communicate mostly through speaking, just like all of you. Although I can't hear myself talk, others can; I'm told my voice is toneless (without inflection) but perfectly understandable. Believe me, you don't speak with your voice, you do it with your mind.....so this is a skill deaf people can master as long as they work at it. Then again, I have the advantage of knowing what it is to hear; a person deaf from birth would find it much tougher to master speaking.

Blindness would be the worst affliction because you have to depend more on others than you would with deafness or muteness. Being deaf, I get along just fine, thank you.

Muteness is my choice for both experience and lack of loss of connection to the outside world.

No I am not permanently mute. I however was publicly mute at one point of my life. I have said this before that the anxiety mental disorder caused me to be mute in public schools, at first it was hard but it got easy. Up until 3rd grade a single word never came out of my mouth unless I was comfortable with the people around me, the latter excluded school. In this duration of voluntary self-silence you get to think to yourself a lot, the world around you becomes inspiration for creativity within your imagination, and the joy of watching others react to your silence is priceless. Not a single things enters through one ear and leaves through the other, it all stays in the head, your attention is solely on what it is supposed to be on (learning in this case). This eventually went away due to parental interference, I don't miss it but it at least gave me a few skills that I carry on today.

However it's biggest pro and at the same time flaw is that, you are still aware of EVERYTHING around you. Deafness leaves you to visualize and dream what sound is, regardless if you can read lips. Blindness especially is up to you to create the world around you and dream of what it is. In both, the inevitable discrimination of your disability, you can prevent by simply either not looking at them, or not letting the thought enter your head since you can't see them. When muteness comes in you can't escape anything, you hear and see all, eventually due to this I grew to be very emotion proof which frustrates other at times. That is the flaw however the good part is that again you are aware of the world around and something not as necessarily vital to you (sight and sound) is with you.

This is incredibly difficult for me. I believe it was JGlass that asked me my greatest fear in life, and without needing to think I noted that it was losing my sight. That fear is now compounded by the fact that I have a week old daughter, one whose eyes I just get lost in. It's equal parts frightening and saddening to even consider the idea that I'd never be able to look into her eyes again, simply stare at my wife while she's sleeping, or even type another post here on Wrestlezone. There are so many things I find beautiful in life that truly enhance my life that I'd no doubt miss incredibly.

Id struggle without hearing as well. My job entails me listening to what other people have to say, and I'm incredibly passionate about it. If I can't hear what people are telling me, I simply cannot do not my job. My profession is one of the things that allows me to love life the way I do, and I'd essentially lose one of the most important things in my life if I couldn't hear. There are times I love to just sit and listen to my wife talk, and I'd miss that greatly as well.

In this case, I'd have to go with being mute. If course, there's no way of knowing what truly would be most difficult without experiencing the three for a period of time, but I feel like I could adapt best to this. I could learn how to sign, and Id bust my ass to do so. I'd write notes, text, and even figure out a way to work with my clients and communicate with them somehow. I'm not saying this would be enjoyable or easy; anyone who knows me knows I love to talk. But if put on the spot, this is the one I'd choose.

I would have to follow the trend and answer Mute, the thought of losing any of the three is heavy and any of them would really hurt me and who I am but when thinking of being practical I say Mute. Without sight I would never be able to stare into the eyes of my fiance or look at my kids, which is something I cannot even begin to imagine. Losing my hearing would mean I couldnt listen to music which is a big part of my life and I couldnt hear my girl's beautiful voice. Being mute wouldn't be any easier, although I have been quit and shy for most of my life I would say as of late I have gotten to be much more talkative and outspoken, and on top of that singing is one of my favorite things in life so it would suck to lose that.

The Switched at Birth fan inside of me makes me say that I'd rather be deaf. I get that it's a show, but it does its part in showing that deaf people can go along in society just as well as a "normal" person if they had to. Not to mention, I could go without hearing about peoples' random bitching and moaning.

The only downside that it would bring is that I couldn't hear anything if my son got in trouble or injured... which is where the need for all three of those senses come in handy.

Let it be noted that I am losing more and more of my sight as I type this.

If I had to trade any of my senses for my sight, I'd definitely choose the one that would least imperil me as I get older and as I get myself into a financially stable foothold, which is to say my voice.

Blind and cannot see, deaf and cannot hear, or mute and cannot speak? Losing any of these three senses would be hard on me. Blindness would be the worst because I am very visually oriented. I struggle to see things even in the dark sometimes and look around for a light source whether it be floor lamps or my cellphone. Deafness would be pretty bad too, I would not be able to listen to music or hear anything being said on television. The promos are my favorite part of pro wrestling so it would be awful to be without those. I can't read lips so I would be unable to understand what was said. I'd have to go with being mute since I could still see the many beautiful things of the world and hear things that I'd need to hear. Even though I am not skilled in sign language, it is an ability that can be improved over time and I could also communicate by writing things for people.

Mute.

I dont talk all that much anyway and I am no wordsmith, so no major loss. My eyesight and hearing are superb if I say so myself, so it just makes sense.

Still, I feel picking mute is a cop out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back