Billy Corgan Introduces the Impact Wrestling Grand Championship

Psykohurricane55

Staff member
So tna introduced a new championship this week and with it when back in time and brought back the british rules matches with the round system.

While I have to respect tna for trying something different, after watching this idea on tv this idea, I can't stop but thinking that this was another bad idea. The main problem isn't the idea itself, it's the execution. This feel like the brawl for all in it execution, they are trying to push this as a real fight when everybody knows that th matches are pre determine and that the judge scores and final decision are already scrited and that they don't serve anything except to make the match look real.

the other problem is that when your doing this type of real booking in a show that also have something like the delete or decay match, it make this look even weirder.

in the end, I don't see this concept working for long and might turn off some of the tna fans.

I won't jump too heavily into this topic. I've been wanting to get back into TNA for some time, but don't have Fight Network (CAN), so I don't have a full grip on the intricacies of what's happening on TNA right now.

Off the top of my head, this just doesn't sound like a great idea. I support them for trying something innovative, but it's rare for title with an exclusive set of rules to thrive. The WWE Hardcore title had it's time in the sun before fizzling. ROH Pure title lasted two years. TNA had the biggest blunder for a gimmick title, in my opinion, when they tried to make X Division matches exclusively triple threat contests. I don't see the Gran Championship having much success beyond any of the above listed.

I don't mean to pop into the TNA forum just to bash the product. Objectively, I just don't see this working out.

I have to disagree, I thought Impact was great this week. I would have aired the segment where Billy announces the title a week before the actual matches started to air. Having him be like "here's a new title" and then "oh hey, here's some matches for it" felt pretty rushed.

Impact has the luxury of filming in advance, so why not give time for the new belt to sink it? That took away more from it than Delete or Decay did.

It looks like they're using this title to advance the Aron Rex vs Drew Galloway feud. I really don't like this at all because that title should be the highlight, not a centre piece to a feud between two former WWE guys.

I like the Grand Championship because it winks subtly at the concept of pro-wrestling. We know the matches are scripted, so here comes a title where in-ring performance can matter over pinfall or submission.

Of course the outcome will still be predetermined, but if gives guys a chance to really showcase their talent between the ropes. Don't knock it just because it's different. The Grand Championship isn't going to be the thing that makes Impact stand out and take off, it's meant to add to what makes them different and appealing. A championship that acknowledges actual skill in wrestling, not just another angle.

Galloway has to be the first champion. Aron Rex is too new and too WWE at this point. Galloway has been around in Impact Wrestling for a while now, and as a former World Champion and recently turned heel, that's the way to go.

I'm just thinking that this will be a hard concept to sell to Impact fans that are normally comprise of smarter fans and knows that the scores are already predetermine and same thing for the judges decisions.

While i didn'T think that the matches we're bad this week, the fact that they we're trying to push this as real competition like if this was MMA kinda took me out of this and trying to push something like this when you have something as wacky as the delete or decay segment isn'T helping. Sometimes, i'm wondering what Impact actually wants to be because this goes against everything else that they put on the show and while i do applaud them for at less trying this, i doubt they will be able to get this work since this type of wrestling never worked in north america.

I give them credit for thinking outside the box a little bit. This is a match format that most fans just aren't used to here in America, or Japan or Mexico for that matter; I've no idea if it'll work but my gut tells me that it's something that's just not going to stick.

When I first read that TNA was going to start doing this I, like the OP, immediately had thoughts similar to the WWE's Brawl For All back in the day. They're mostly different concepts, but it just felt like this notion of trying to blur the lines between pro wrestling and mixed martial arts in a way that I don't believe will click with most fans.

Does anyone know how long the rounds are supposed to be? In any event, it's possible that dividing the matches up into rounds could really, really put a crimp in the energy of some of the matches if a round ends at a point where fans are really into it. Remember how fans responded during the Joe vs. Balor at NXT TakeOver: Dallas when the ref repeatedly stopped the match to check on the cut near Joe's eye? I don't think any heel in wrestling in close to a generation got more heat than that towel did and fans may well react in some of the matches under this format.

So far I really like it. Especially the way it happened in the Drake-Godderz match. It created a ton of suspense and made things more "real" and that's something I wanted from TNA in a long time, to be more realistic like the NWA were back in the day compared to the cartoon WWF.

I also don't mind the difference between this and Decay-Delete cause you need variety on a wrestling show.

BTW it's not the TNA Grand championship. It's THE IMPACT WRESTLING GRAND CHAMPIONSHIP.

The concept is definitely outside the box, but like the WWE's boxing venture, the cynic in me is pretty sure this is going the way of the dodo. Not for a lack of creative risk-taking. I give them all the credit in the world there. But ultimately I'm not sure fans gravitate toward this concept any more than they have other gimmick titles in the past, including the KOTM title, the Television championship, the Global championship (that was originally not to be defended against Americans or on American soil), and the Knockouts Tag Team Championship. I know that the first three are technically the same title, but chronologically they were different at their various points of existence.

In fact, TNA generally has short-lived stipulations on titles, period. The X Division used to have a weight limit. It also used to only be defended in three-way matches. Neither exists anymore, and both had very short shelf lives.

I actually like the concept, and I think it adds some intrigue to the product. I do have a few minor grievances over style, like how Galloway and Sutter's match took on the feel of an MMA bout with both men in fighting stance to start instead of locking up or attacking in more traditional pro wrestling style, but overall it's actually something they deserve credit for trying to pull off. I just don't think it's going to last.

All I see this, is another title that's going to turn into a midcard piece, then thrown away, Global, legends, King of the mountain, etc... etc...

They try too hard to make more titles that are just pointless.

Most of the time when wrestling tries to implement reality sports into their shows, they just blow up in their face.

Didn't WCW have some sort of Queensbury Rules gimmick when Regal was TV Champ, there would be judges and a timed limit?

It's certainly something different, but my initial reaction was I don't like it. I guess it adds some extra layers though - that being someone gets 'screwed' by a contentious decision or scores a pinfall or submission after being down on the cards. I'm not sure why they reveal scores after each round, it would be more exciting if we didn't know.

I also don't like the idea of the eventual champion only wrestling in this format - if that's what will happen. I feel the idea is novelty and this will wear off along with the excitement after a period of time. I'm more than happy to see it play out though, and will readily change my mind if it seems to be working, getting people over, the crowd invested etc...

TNA are deviating from the tried and tested format, and that's fine.

I genuinely think this would've worked a lot better as a regular tournament with this rules. Call it "The Grand Slam Tournament", use it only on a specific time of the year in a specific show or pair of shows that they can build. The winner would get a World Title opportunity and a trophy. It would also force them to make changes to their TV and actually get the most of having very few PPV's.

The title in itself is just a novelty like someone said before me. It won't stick around and I don't even think people want it to stick around. It's just an hit on kayfabe, because we will be constantly reminded that the result is pre-determined and that takes us off a little.

Still not the worst decision in the world for now, as they can actually build cool stories around it. But when the time comes that the championship needs to die, then just let it die and merge with the World Championship. Don't force it, that's all I ask.

Looks like I'm rolling with the masses here. I can appreciate a unique idea, yet not so much if it gives a fan like myself too much to read into for the stipulations. Be outside the box and try it out, by all means. At the same time keep things as simple as possible. Build feuds around the belt to make it important and not just another prop (even though it is).

The matches seem to be a bit more stiff so I liked that.

It's something different which is good to see.

The only problem I have with it is they don't explain who these judges are , they don't provide any background info on why there qualified to score a wrestling match.

Like they do in UFC.

They should of gotten some old veterans to score the matches and maybe a couple of wrestling journalist. like Dave Meltzer and Wade Keller.

It would of made it feel a bit more legitimate.

It surely is an out-of-box idea to create a MMA-style match up in professional wrestling.

My problem is that time period of a round is very less. 3 minutes isn't the right limit. 5 minutes would be much better as shown by Rex Vs Edwards at Bound For Glory.

I hope that it lasts long enough but I am doubtful about it.

If it doesn't work then just create a midcard title without some gimmick entitlement and keep it for a long period.

Now that corgan is gone will TNA merge the grand title with the heavyweight title?
I hope not.

But it could happen. Because TNA has a history of not sticking with a midcard title for much long time. Consistency is what lacks in TNA's midcard title.

Plus, Aron Rex became inaugral champion who's still the champ. Give it some time. We haven't even seen a title change until now.

So For the first time since the championship was created, i finally saw the flaws in this concept and ended shaking my head and laughing after the end of a match. What i'm talking about his this week match between drew galloway and Moose.

What went wrong with the booking of this match, the first round went super well and you could believe that either one could have won the round, then round 2 happened and galloway is in control for most of the round except for a spot on the outside when moose powerbomb him on the apron. In a real fight the round would have been score for galloway but because it'S a fix fight and you want to build some drama, they give the round to moose which even you play by play guy thought was a dumb move.

Finally round 3 and the ending of the match, i got nothing against having the match stop because of a low blow because that what they would do normally in a real match, my problem was that they really never explain that rule before and really what stopping anybody now to use that rules to they're advantage and hit their finisher after the match resume.

This was a really poor booked match and it exposes the concept to much in my opinion, that's to bad because i think but guys could have a great match together if they didn'T have all that crap to deal with.

Drop the judging part of it and make the matches 15 minute timed limit, they've tried a new concept, but for me, the novelty of it has wore off and it's hindering the matches more than helping.

While this isn't the most vital thing in the world, certainly not compared with the overall concept, I have to say that the championship belt has to be a genuine contender for the ugliest I've ever seen. It's a unique, one of a kind design and that's something to be applauded, but that still doesn't mean that it's a good design or one that's not hurtful to look at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back