• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Biggest No-no in Wrestling?

Blue Chipper

Shapeshifting Humanoid
We all know that WWE's the Self-destruction of the Ultimate Warrior DVD was a revisionist endeavor in marginalizing the career and legacy of the Ultimate Warrior. Each talking head was quick in taking a swing at the Ultimate Warrior's dangling body; it was never more evident than when Jerry Lawler asserted that the Ultimate Warrior's hat extinguished what sizzle the feud may have had.

But there was one criticism of the Ultimate Warrior that I thought could possibly hold a little weight: Ultimate Warrior was lambasted for mentioning the outcome of his previous match with Hogan in the build to another match. The audience, they say, are less interested in a match in which they know who got the best of the former bout(s). Hulk Hogan contends that it is one of the biggest breaches of pro-wrestling etiquette that a worker can make.

Is this legitimate criticism of the Ultimate Warrior? Was this just another mindless kick at the Ultimate Warrior? Does acknowledging the outcome of a past match in a promo hinder a feud?

But there was one criticism of the Ultimate Warrior that I thought could possibly hold a little weight: Ultimate Warrior was lambasted for mentioning the outcome of his previous match with Hogan in the build to another match. The audience, they say, are less interested in a match in which they know who got the best of the former bout(s). Hulk Hogan contends that it is one of the biggest breaches of pro-wrestling etiquette that a worker can make.

Is this legitimate criticism of the Ultimate Warrior? Was this just another mindless kick at the Ultimate Warrior? Does acknowledging the outcome of a past match in a promo hinder a feud?

Opposite. Im gonna be honest, this was easily the most confusing thing on the documentary to me.

The fact the Warrior whooped him before was the whole fucking premise of the feud....Thats why he was gonna be the one guy who could stand up to Hogan and the NWO. and what the fuck are you talking about you dont acknowledge matches that happened before? When the hell did that ever not happen?!

You said it BC: "another mindless kick".

If Warrior is truly in WWE's good graces again, they owe him a better, more honest, and more thorough DVD retrospective.

Considering how well known it was that Warrior was one of the few that beat a face Hogan clean it isn't an issue. There's nothing wrong with mentioning that so and so beat you. Rock pretty much built his WM 19 match against Austin on the fact that he never got the best of him at Wrestlemania. The feud was good, the match was good, nothing was damaged because of it and we got the first Rock concert out of it which was phenomenal.

It seemed like the whole DVD was split into 2 parts; Warrior getting blasted by everyone that worked with him and Warrior getting recognition from younger wrestlers who were fans of his growing up. Say what you want about Warrior but at his height very few surpassed his popularity. Also for all the slack he gets for his in ring work he has some classic matches under his belt such as Savage vs. Warrior at WM 7. I'm just saying I don't recall Ted Dibiase or 90% of the wrestlers who blasted him having a match that good.

Laughable assertion considering that the vast majority of the build to this years Mania Main Event concentrated on the Rock defeating John Cena at the previous years event.

Killing your wife and kid? Not a bigger no no than that.

I don't think it hinders the feud actually I prefer it when wrestlers mention the past because it would be logical for them to do so. And it's a nice way to reward long term fans of the product.

Anyway for me the biggest no-no's in wrestling that I could think of would be, wrestlers questioning the prestige of a title, or wrestlers questioning the drawing power of another wrestler. Those things should never ever be done IMO.

I think hogan was pissed because that match happened in WWF, and it wasn't supposed to be acknowledged in the WCW storyline.

Blue Chipper said:
Does acknowledging the
outcome of a past match in a promo hinder a
feud?
No, it doesn't. I mean, for Sandow it wouldn't be the smartest to mention his win/loss record against Sheamus, but for Punk to Cena, a "I beat you once, I can do it again"-speech is almost expected.

Off the top of my head, worse things that happened in wrestling:
Hansen popping out Vader's eye
HBK completely overselling to Hogan that one time
Jefff Hardy at that Victory Road
Fingerpoke of doom
Chyna and X-Pac's sex-tape
Hogan's sex-tape

Actually inside of wrestling? I'd say not paying the proper respect to the right people and those that came before you can often be career suicide and is going to get you insta-heat with the locker room.

I think hogan was pissed because that match happened in WWF, and it wasn't supposed to be acknowledged in the WCW storyline.

Because WCW never mentioned WWF storylines during the Monday Night War. :rolleyes:

Plus, that's not the way Hogan phrased it. His gripe was clearly with Warrior mentioning the result. Warrior's whole promo was geared at alluding to their WrestleMania VI main event. Hogan was just working with WWE at the time that the DVD was produced, they filled him in on the tone of the production, so he took a story from the top of his head and twisted it to make it sound like Warrior did something wrong.

I find it infinitely more irksome when wrestlers, or commentators, develop spontaneous amnesia. For example, Orton and Christian finally shaking hands and the announcers giving us the verbal equivalent of a shrug.

Nothing hooks a long time watcher more than a good callback. And the whole idea of that story was Hulk wanting to get the win back while Nitro wanted to spike ratings. Had Warrior not pointed out what everyone was aware of, the feud would've looked as stupid as the one Undertaker and Triple H had in 2011. Where every single WWE employee, despite the countless video packages they made showing Taker beat HHH at WM17, no one remembered it in 2011.

What Hogan was talking about was someone 'going into business for themselves'. I can agree that's a huge no-no in wrestling, but there are bigger than that.

No-selling someone's finisher or impact moves
Bringing personal matters into a promo without letting the other person know

The biggest no-no is simply not showing up for a scheduled event. That's what got Stone Cold let go and it's something Vince McMahon has said numerous times when it comes to being his biggest pet peeve.

Tough one. You'd think showing up to main event a PPV too high to walk would do the trick, but that apparently gets you a break of a few months and a feel good storyline when you come back. Three drunk driving arrests are OK, the fourth is a no-no. Trying to bribe a cop is apparently OK even if you're an expendable bit player.

Maybe telling someone you think is a 13 year old boy that you'll pretend that they're 18?

Yeah I think playing this as a game of 'What can you get away with' is much better.

My pick is killing Bruiser Brody. (Thanks go to that helpful thread earlier).

Maybe telling someone you think is a 13 year old boy that you'll pretend that they're 18?

Who did that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back