Bigger Impact - Jackie Fargo or Jerry Lawler?

Trill Co$by

Believes in The Shield!
So growing up as a young lad in Tennessee, one of the more controversial things that you could say to someone who loved their Memphis Wrestling was either "Jackie Fargo isn't a great wrestler" or "[Guy Here] is better than Jerry Lawler"... and depending on where you were, a lot of times fights could break out. It was a topic that plagued my mind for years, and really since I only saw early 90s Lawler I don't feel I'm 100% qualified to answer this topic. But I feel it's a great question.

So in your opinion, who had a bigger impact, Jackie Fargo or Jerry Lawler?

Jerry Lawler certainly carried the territory on his back for a lot longer but, without Fargo, Lawler never would have been anything. So its kind of a chicken or the egg kind of scenario. Yeah, Lawler is by far the more recognizable name but Fargo was the one that got the territory hot to begin with.

Lawler helped that territory during the biggest boom period in wrestling history at the time - the late 1970's and 80's. He had a bigger impact in that he drew money into Memphis and helped bring in the likes of Harley Race, Ric Flair, and others into the area to feud for a few months, then leave.

He also helped create The Rock N Roll Express, one of the most over tag teams in history. Fargo created 'The Fabulous Ones', which didn't go over as well. And I know Fargo predated Lawler and graveled the road, but Lawler paved that road and helped an interstate come through there.

My answer's Lawler.

It's almost like who did more to elevate WWE....McMahon or Hogan....McMahon's promotional sense in product presentation and invading the territories was huge, but could he have that success without Hogan, the most popular star in the industry as his horse ?

Fargo did a lot to build the territory. Lawler kept things going (and successful) for many years. Im not sure Lawler could have excelled (at least there) without the groundwork Fargo did, but even with Fargo's groundwork Im not sure how many other wrestlers could have done the work both in the ring and behind the scenes Lawler did to keep the ball rolling.

Lawler helped that territory during the biggest boom period in wrestling history at the time - the late 1970's and 80's. He had a bigger impact in that he drew money into Memphis and helped bring in the likes of Harley Race, Ric Flair, and others into the area to feud for a few months, then leave.

He also helped create The Rock N Roll Express, one of the most over tag teams in history. Fargo created 'The Fabulous Ones', which didn't go over as well. And I know Fargo predated Lawler and graveled the road, but Lawler paved that road and helped an interstate come through there.

My answer's Lawler.

Oddly, Rock n Roll Express was only put together because of the Fabulous Ones. Lawler needed a top baby face team when they left, so he put together Ricky and Robert, who weren't doing much at the time. The Fabs didn't have the most success outside of Memphis, but during the boom, they were drawing just as much as Lawler, and allowed for two touring groups. one with Lawler on top, and one with them. They also inspired several other times. And to be fair, Lawler and Jarrett created the Fabs gimmick, they just got Fargo to endorse them to help their initial push.

Back onto subject, Fargo was great and without him there would be no Lawler. But Lawler took that boost and raised it even farther, becoming not only a regional star, but a national one.

great thread topic. i've been on these forums almost daily for about 4 years and i'm not sure i've ever seen this topic before. mad props to the OP for originality!

looks like the responses are unanimous, give or take. it is kinda like a chicken or the egg question.

Fargo laid the foundation and Lawler built from it. i'm not as familiar with Fargo do to the era, so i'm not sure about his longevity in the business. but i would wager that more people have heard of Lawler either way.

this isn't quite a 50/50 tie, but maybe more of a 55/45 decision. Lawler gets the edge due to his time in the business, which is still current, his major national exposure with the #1 wrestling company in the world and his pop culture relevance dating back to Andy Kaufman. even though Lawler stood on Fargo's shoulders at the start, Lawler did everything necessary to keep himself at the top of his game.

again, great thread. really enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back