"Big" Rob Terry Could Become This Generation's "Goldberg"!

Suneeboy

Big Boot, Leg Drop, 1....2....3
I was watching Destination X yesterday when something hit me. Rob Terry is good. Not Kurt Angle, Brock Lesnar, or Stone Cold Good. Not even Big Show or Kane good. He is Goldberg good. He’s a big guy, who can’t talk, isn’t the best in the ring, can’t sell that well, but he looks fucking awesome, and he can beat people up and make it look believable. Just like Goldberg.

He destroyed Eric Young on tour, he destroyed Doug Williams, and he destroyed Magnus last night. All he did was scream, flex his muscles, and do some slams. He did it in about 2 or 3 minutes…just like Goldberg used to do. He’s not quite over yet, but he will be if they have him demolish his competition and get up some kind of winning streak.

Rob Terry could possibly be TNA’s reincarnation of Goldberg. He doesn’t talk much. He just comes out, handles business, whips some ass and goes back into the dressing room. TNA could be on to something if they do it right with this guy. No one could’ve predicted Goldberg’s rise when he first came in, as he just seemed like some Stone Cold knock-off. “Big” Rob Terry could possibly repeat history and be this generation’s “Goldberg”. Am I crazy? I don’t think so, but let me know what you think. After last night….I’m a fan.

I sort of agree. He's got an intresting look and his squash matches are a hell of a lot better than what you usually see from WWE & TNA. The only problem is that Goldberg was good enough to be involved in long, complicated matches, Terry isn't.

The only problem is that Goldberg was good enough to be involved in long, complicated matches, Terry isn't.

After 75-100 squashes you would have to develop some kind of in ring IQ to be able to go longer than 15 minutes, right? Goldberg didn't have a what I would consider a complicated match until he got his World Title push.

I watched his match last night, as well, and I must say that I was impressed. He's a MASSIVE physical specimen that really has the opportunity to gain appeal on his looks. The worst thing they could do for him is give him a microphone. Otherwise, I have a bad feeling that he'll get the Lashley treatment: The voice won't match the look.

His squash of Magnus really shocked me last night, but it also made a lot of sense. When pertaining to his look, no one on TNA's roster is really in his league. In other words, when utilizing kayfabe, it doesn't make sense for Taylor to get beaten by anyone on the roster, so far. He's working his way up the chain from bottom to top, crushing everyone along the way.

I think we'd better keep an eye on him.

After 75-100 squashes you would have to develop some kind of in ring IQ to be able to go longer than 15 minutes, right?

Yes and you also have to be put with talented workers, which is another stumbling block for Terry.

WCW was full of credible undercard wrestlers for Goldberg to go over. TNA is a promotion full of undercard wrestlers with no credibility and very little ability.

Goldberg had a short feud with Raven on the way to becoming WCW champion, who have TNA got that could fill that role with Terry? There's a thin line between mid card nobody and headliner in TNA, there just aren't the options for Rob Terry that there were for Goldberg.

Yes and you also have to be put with talented workers, which is another stumbling block for Terry.
TNA has some talented guys on the roster. But if they are squashes or near squashes, the guys just have to be able to bump and sell well.
WCW was full of credible undercard wrestlers for Goldberg to go over. TNA is a promotion full of undercard wrestlers with no credibility and very little ability.
WCW was already mainstream by the time Goldberg came around. TNA has been around for 8 years, and is just recently hitting the mainstream. No one is credible really. They have to make guys credible. Rob Terry is a good start.
Goldberg had a short feud with Raven on the way to becoming WCW champion, who have TNA got that could fill that role with Terry? There's a thin line between mid card nobody and headliner in TNA, there just aren't the options for Rob Terry that there were for Goldberg.
Short feud where Raven got demolished every time along with his flock who tried to interfere. He tried to cheat a couple of times and got thwarted and squashed mightily. Now TNA has plenty of guys. Wolfe, Raven (still), Stevie, Tomko, Rhino, Jordan, Hall, Syxx-Pac all can be fed to Terry and handle the mic work.

Nice to see someone else saw it the way i did last night, i posted this on the Destination X thread right after the show, so i guess im unofficialy claiming to have got there first :blush:

Posted last night right after Dest.X :

Random Thought here, and there could be many explanations, but:

Could TNA be building Rob Terry as the next Goldberg?

I know its weird but the way he ran through Magnus on ppv, beat Mr Anderson (in hogans words a future world champ) albeit with a little help from angle, just seems like theyre building him as an unstoppable monster.
Weve already seen a new nature boy, new Hogan, so why not a new goldberg? I know Terrys terrible, but then again creative chose Abyss to get the rub from Hogan, which says alot. He's got the same sort of monster build, and i wdnt be surprised to see him use a spear or something soon enough, with shoulders like that it could be devastating.

And i guess we all know Terrys got the Hogan-esque physique too, he'll be pushed to the moon and im jst wondering if it could be in the style of Goldberg, running through everyone in the roster.Maybe with a little help along the way( such as the Mr Anderson match) but have him continuously go over and quik, thereby hiding his lack of talent, i wonder if theyre pushing him as far as Hogan wants.

P.s. Tenay said tonight that TNA management consider the Global Belt the stepping stone to the World Heavyweight Title, maybe a clue to Terrys future?

TNA has some talented guys on the roster. But if they are squashes or near squashes, the guys just have to be able to bump and sell well.

Of course, but Goldberg had the advantage of going over established and well respect stars on the road to his first world title. Terry is missing out on wrestlers like Curt Henning, Konnan & Raven. A lot of the guys Terry would be squashing would be smaller than him as well and they're guys that have no real momentum anyway. Most victories he get's will make people say ''so what!''.

WCW was already mainstream by the time Goldberg came around. TNA has been around for 8 years, and is just recently hitting the mainstream. No one is credible really. They have to make guys credible. Rob Terry is a good start.

To make Terry credible he can't just go over most of the lowly wrestlers on the roster. That's the problem with TNA, there's not a gradual climb when it comes to talent, you're either a star or you're a midcarder. I can't see TNA letting Terry flatten Kurt Angle, Mick Foley, Jeff Jarrett, Kulk Hogan, Abyys or AJ Styles just to get him over.

Short feud where Raven got demolished every time along with his flock who tried to interfere. He tried to cheat a couple of times and got thwarted and squashed mightily. Now TNA has plenty of guys. Wolfe, Raven (still), Stevie, Tomko, Rhino, Jordan, Hall, Syxx-Pac all can be fed to Terry and handle the mic work.

Most of those guys aren't wrestle Raven was at that stage in Goldberg's career. Before being squashed by Goldberg, Raven was in a feud with Benoit & DDP for a relatively credible championship. Other than Hall & Syxx-Pac none of the guys you've listed have got any real direction and they haven't done anything of note in a while, defeating them wouldn't aid Terry much at all.

You know, I remember not even a month ago everyone on this forum was ripping on Rob Terry, how he'll never amount to anything, YADA YADA YADA. When I was like, one of four ppl in the whole world who actually supported him. Nice to see that you're all coming around finally. I said it a month ago, and I'll say it again. If TNA does someday take over WWE in ratings, it won't be without the help of Big Rob Terry.

Of course, but Goldberg had the advantage of going over established and well respect stars on the road to his first world title. Terry is missing out on wrestlers like Curt Henning, Konnan & Raven. A lot of the guys Terry would be squashing would be smaller than him as well and they're guys that have no real momentum anyway. Most victories he get's will make people say ''so what!''.
With that thinking a win over anyone means shit in TNA unless its for the title or over one of the main event level guys. You have to start somewhere. A couple of months from now as feuds finish off and Terry is done with the undercard, he can start getting it in with the more established midcarders. We don’t know who those people are quite yet. Terry is not going to be chasing a title or feuding with Sting tomorrow. Goldberg took months before he was feuding with guys like Raven. Before that it was Local Jobbers, and the likes of Vincent, Kanyon, and Scott Norton. Who? Yeah.
To make Terry credible he can't just go over most of the lowly wrestlers on the roster. That's the problem with TNA, there's not a gradual climb when it comes to talent, you're either a star or you're a midcarder. I can't see TNA letting Terry flatten Kurt Angle, Mick Foley, Jeff Jarrett, Kulk Hogan, Abyys or AJ Styles just to get him over.
The latter is maybe a year or so away. To make Terry credible he MUST go over the most lowly wrestlers on the roster, and let the mid card develop in the background. Then take over that.
Most of those guys aren't wrestle Raven was at that stage in Goldberg's career. Before being squashed by Goldberg, Raven was in a feud with Benoit & DDP for a relatively credible championship. Other than Hall & Syxx-Pac none of the guys you've listed have got any real direction and they haven't done anything of note in a while, defeating them wouldn't aid Terry much at all.
TNA is creating direction and developing characters as we speak. Raven had feuds with Benoit and DDP, correct while guys like Wolfe have feuds with Kurt Angle and aligning themselves with Flair, and whether you want to accept it or not, guys like Hall, Syxx, Nash, Raven, Rhino, and Stevie still have some name value that can help build Terry.

I was watching Destination X yesterday when something hit me. Rob Terry is good. Not Kurt Angle, Brock Lesnar, or Stone Cold Good. Not even Big Show or Kane good. He is Goldberg good. He’s a big guy, who can’t talk, isn’t the best in the ring, can’t sell that well, but he looks fucking awesome, and he can beat people up and make it look believable. Just like Goldberg.

He destroyed Eric Young on tour, he destroyed Doug Williams, and he destroyed Magnus last night. All he did was scream, flex his muscles, and do some slams. He did it in about 2 or 3 minutes…just like Goldberg used to do. He’s not quite over yet, but he will be if they have him demolish his competition and get up some kind of winning streak.

Rob Terry could possibly be TNA’s reincarnation of Goldberg. He doesn’t talk much. He just comes out, handles business, whips some ass and goes back into the dressing room. TNA could be on to something if they do it right with this guy. No one could’ve predicted Goldberg’s rise when he first came in, as he just seemed like some Stone Cold knock-off. “Big” Rob Terry could possibly repeat history and be this generation’s “Goldberg”. Am I crazy? I don’t think so, but let me know what you think. After last night….I’m a fan.

I have to disagree. Rob Terry isn't awful, or anything like that. But is he in the league of Goldberg? I don't think so. I would compare Rob Terry to Batista before I would Goldberg.

Goldberg had something neither Terry nor Batista has... a ton of intensity. Rob Terry lacks real intensity. It just looks manufactured. Goldberg was a freakin' maniac. You could just look at the guy, and tell he was jacked. From his entrance, to the way he moved around the ring, you knew he was overflowing with energy. Was he a great technical wrestler? No, not at all.

Also, I think Rob Terry, like Batista, has a lot more "gym muscle" than Goldberg did. Sure, Goldberg was big and ripped, but he looked like he was far more athletic than Terry. My guess is (with the help of a needle) Rob Terry has had to work really hard to get that physique, and I most definitely respect that. He just doesn't have that natural, killer look of Goldberg.

I also disagree that Goldberg looked like a Steve Austin rip off. Sure, they wore basically the same ring gear and both were bald. Outside of that, they had nothing in common. Goldberg was, as you said, a go-out-there-and-get-it-done kind of wrestler. He wasn't a technical guy, nor was he a brawler. He was a power guy, who hit a lot of high-impact moves. He never said much, and that was probably for the best, even though I don't think he was anywhere near as bad on the mic as Rob Terry is.

Austin wasn't an animal. Austin was more of a technical wrestler than people gave him credit for. Also, he was a brawler (because that's what the fans wanted to see). Austin wasn't a huge guy either, like Goldberg. Austin wasn't going to intimidate many people with his physique. Austin was more of an everyday kind of guy. A guy that people could understand (he was allowed to whip his bosses ass every Monday).

I just don't see Terry being anything like Goldberg, minus having a larger physique. I see him as more of a Batista-type. I hope he can improve upon all facets of his trade, because the guy absolutely has the physique to become a big time star in TNA.

By the time Goldberg came around in 1997, WCW was 7 years old...officially broke away from its NWA roots in 1990. TNA now is 8 years old (with the SAME NWA roots). They should all be credible at this point. If not, then TNA is doing something wrong. WCW was already pulling 4.5+ ratings in 7 yrs of existence. Why is TNA only pulling 0.8 in 8 yrs of their existence? And dont say its because WCW has Turner because TNA has Panda Energy which makes Turner's money look like the salvation army!!!

With that thinking a win over anyone means shit in TNA unless its for the title or over one of the main event level guys.

Yeah, that sounds about right.

A couple of months from now as feuds finish off and Terry is done with the undercard, he can start getting it in with the more established midcarders. We don’t know who those people are quite yet.

Isn't that the problem, TNA don't know who there established mid carders are because they'be given so few wrestlers a defined role? In any other company you can usually tell who's going to be a mid card talent 6 months or so in advance.

Goldberg took months before he was feuding with guys like Raven. Before that it was Local Jobbers, and the likes of Vincent, Kanyon, and Scott Norton. Who? Yeah.

Of course, but TNA don't have many wrestlers like Vincent or Scott Norton and they don't have wrestlers like Raven who are permanent mid carder.

The latter is maybe a year or so away.

The roster isn't big enough for him to slowly build his way up the ranks. He could easily work through most of them in 6 months then all he'll be left with is established main eventers.

Raven had feuds with Benoit and DDP, correct while guys like Wolfe have feuds with Kurt Angle and aligning themselves with Flair,

Wolfe feuded with Angle months ago and has only just aligned himelf with Flair, instead of pushing on them left him with nothing to do for two months. That's why hardly anybody builds momentum in TNA.

and whether you want to accept it or not, guys like Hall, Syxx, Nash, Raven, Rhino, and Stevie still have some name value that can help build Terry.

I don't see how beating Raven, Rhino or Steven Richards will help him, everybody beats those guys.

Funny, I was going to start a thread and denote the very same sentiments, so kudos to us there! ;)

As for the actual thread topic, I absolutely see tremendous potential in Terry into developing into the next Goldberg, but new ring attire IMO is going to be a very necessary component, as the British tights are just too reminiscent of his days with the British Invasion.

The real question is, seeing as he's squashed both Williams & Magnus, who I think we'd all agree are genuine mid-card wrestlers, where does he go from here? I'd hate to see him regress into squashing sure-fire jobbers, but I also don't think he's ready to move that far forward in the chain by moving onto guys like Jarrett, Hernandez, Homicide, etc.

IMO, the best way to continue his progression (or is that aggression?) is to book him over guys of similar size like Rhino, Jesse Neal, Stevie Richards, Raven and Tomko.

I have to disagree. Rob Terry isn't awful, or anything like that. But is he in the league of Goldberg? I don't think so. I would compare Rob Terry to Batista before I would Goldberg.
I think that you’re mixing apples with oranges as far as the purpose of the discussion is, but let’s continue.
Goldberg had something neither Terry nor Batista has... a ton of intensity. Rob Terry lacks real intensity. It just looks manufactured. Goldberg was a freakin' maniac. You could just look at the guy, and tell he was jacked. From his entrance, to the way he moved around the ring, you knew he was overflowing with energy. Was he a great technical wrestler? No, not at all.
We now have legit exposure to Rob Terry as a solo face for about a month now. He’s shown intensity. As he racks up some wins (or if they let him rack up wins) we’ll see more of it. Goldberg didn’t start on top. If you followed him, he squashed jobbers for weeks, and didn’t have the swagger that he developed by the time he had his US Title run. Terry is showing signs.
Also, I think Rob Terry, like Batista, has a lot more "gym muscle" than Goldberg did. Sure, Goldberg was big and ripped, but he looked like he was far more athletic than Terry. My guess is (with the help of a needle) Rob Terry has had to work really hard to get that physique, and I most definitely respect that. He just doesn't have that natural, killer look of Goldberg.
Even better. He looks better than Batista and Goldberg. I don’t know what the hell you’re talking about with gym muscle versus natural muscle as you have to work out to build muscle whether you’re on ‘roids or not, but the guy looks like a freak. He actually has one of the best bodies I’ve seen in wrestling. Haven’t been this impressed since “Mr. Wonderful” Paul Orndoff (I’m getting old).
I also disagree that Goldberg looked like a Steve Austin rip off. Sure, they wore basically the same ring gear and both were bald. Outside of that, they had nothing in common. Goldberg was, as you said, a go-out-there-and-get-it-done kind of wrestler. He wasn't a technical guy, nor was he a brawler. He was a power guy, who hit a lot of high-impact moves. He never said much, and that was probably for the best, even though I don't think he was anywhere near as bad on the mic as Rob Terry is.
Goldberg isn’t a Steve Austin rip-off, but he came in when Stone Cold was on a tear in the WWE. Goldberg before he developed a character looked like an Austin rip off. After a while that wore off, but he was WCW’s answer to Austin’s popularity.
Austin wasn't an animal. Austin was more of a technical wrestler than people gave him credit for. Also, he was a brawler (because that's what the fans wanted to see). Austin wasn't a huge guy either, like Goldberg. Austin wasn't going to intimidate many people with his physique. Austin was more of an everyday kind of guy. A guy that people could understand (he was allowed to whip his bosses ass every Monday).
You looked into a lot further than what I think you should’ve.
I just don't see Terry being anything like Goldberg, minus having a larger physique. I see him as more of a Batista-type. I hope he can improve upon all facets of his trade, because the guy absolutely has the physique to become a big time star in TNA.
Batista talks. Goldberg didn’t talk. Push and character development wise he should follow the Goldberg path, it suits him and TNA better. I think you are talking about look and probably in-ring ability. Batista has too much charisma to be in the same boat as your Goldberg’s, Rob Terry’s and other typical big guys with a great look.

Goldberg? Goldberg? Seriously Goldberg? I was just watching destination a few minutes ago and I decided to watch Terry's match because of this thread. The guy is stiff as hell in the ring not to mention he has a weak looking finisher but seriously this guy is just muscles. I found myself thinking of him to be more like Ezkiel Jackson. But Goldberg C'MON MAN.

Yeah, that sounds about right.
So then if wins mean nothing, and there’s no room for growth and development, let’s just shut the doors down now and only watch the WWE. Wrestling was much better with one major promotion.
Isn't that the problem, TNA don't know who there established mid carders are because they'be given so few wrestlers a defined role? In any other company you can usually tell who's going to be a mid card talent 6 months or so in advance.
In what company other than the 6 hour per week programming of the WWE can you tell? TNA is building their card now. Terry has enough people to go through to build him up as a monster until he can get a feud with a real established guy.
Of course, but TNA don't have many wrestlers like Vincent or Scott Norton and they don't have wrestlers like Raven who are permanent mid carder.
They do have wrestlers like Vincent or Scott Norton. That is Raven, Rhino, Tomko, Stevie et al. Permanent midcarder is subjective in TNA right now as they build their divisions. But throw Wolfe, Pope, Anderson, Daniels, Hernandez, Morgan, in to that bucket. They certainly aren’t main event players yet.
The roster isn't big enough for him to slowly build his way up the ranks. He could easily work through most of them in 6 months then all he'll be left with is established main eventers.
It’ll take longer than 6 months. In TNA guys aren’t on TV every week due to time constraints.
Wolfe feuded with Angle months ago and has only just aligned himelf with Flair, instead of pushing on them left him with nothing to do for two months. That's why hardly anybody builds momentum in TNA.
But Wolfe is an established mid carder.
I don't see how beating Raven, Rhino or Steven Richards will help him, everybody beats those guys.
A win is a win and every win counts in your rise to the top. Just ask Goldberg.

I was thinking more along the lines of Rob Terry being TNA's version of Batista. He's kinda starting off the same way Batista did by being in a stable and then becoming "too cool" for it as he breaks off on his own. TNA doesn't necessarily need more monster-types since they already have guys like Abyss and Matt Morgan, but Rob Terry definitely has a future ahead of him and could become very over as either a face or a heel (probably more heel).

I agree that Rob Terry is a lot like Goldberg AND Batista: Awful in the ring and a giant waste of my time. I will be very upset with TNA if they re-hash the Goldberg gimmick with Terry, who, let's be honest, probably isn't even as good as Goldberg was in the ring (and that's saying a lot). TNA has a great thing going right now with Anderson and Pope and guys who've already kind of established themselves as being worth a main event title picture and they are already making the mistake of rehashing NWO. There is absolutely no way I can buy Rob Terry having a world title run, hell, the audience can't buy him having a global title run, and the only thing giving him a run of squash matches will do is make all the talent in TNA look weak and useless just like Goldberg's streak did to WCW's talent. I don't care how strong he looks, he can barely move; no one should have trouble pinning him.

I think that you’re mixing apples with oranges as far as the purpose of the discussion is, but let’s continue.

We now have legit exposure to Rob Terry as a solo face for about a month now. He’s shown intensity. As he racks up some wins (or if they let him rack up wins) we’ll see more of it. Goldberg didn’t start on top. If you followed him, he squashed jobbers for weeks, and didn’t have the swagger that he developed by the time he had his US Title run. Terry is showing signs.

Even better. He looks better than Batista and Goldberg. I don’t know what the hell you’re talking about with gym muscle versus natural muscle as you have to work out to build muscle whether you’re on ‘roids or not, but the guy looks like a freak. He actually has one of the best bodies I’ve seen in wrestling. Haven’t been this impressed since “Mr. Wonderful” Paul Orndoff (I’m getting old).

Goldberg isn’t a Steve Austin rip-off, but he came in when Stone Cold was on a tear in the WWE. Goldberg before he developed a character looked like an Austin rip off. After a while that wore off, but he was WCW’s answer to Austin’s popularity.

You looked into a lot further than what I think you should’ve.

Batista talks. Goldberg didn’t talk. Push and character development wise he should follow the Goldberg path, it suits him and TNA better. I think you are talking about look and probably in-ring ability. Batista has too much charisma to be in the same boat as your Goldberg’s, Rob Terry’s and other typical big guys with a great look.

I understand Goldberg didn't start on top. I never said he did. I wasn't talking about where Goldberg started. From the second Goldberg stepped onto the scene (I think he beat Hugh Morris), he showed an amazing amount of intensity in the ring. It was written all over everything he did, and yes, that included squashing jobbers. Was he any more impressive (moveset wise) in his first match than Rob Terry is now? No. But he did show a great deal of insensity, far superior to that of Terry. Rob Terry doesn't show that same kind of fire in the ring that Goldberg did when he started out. I just don't see Rob Terry having that kind of fire. And of course Goldberg didn't have the "swagger." I never said he had any kind of swagger, I was referring to his in-ring intensity.

The difference between the physique of Goldberg and Rob Terry is pretty simple. Goldberg looked like a true athlete (which he was). Goldberg looked a lot more athletic than Rob Terry does. Rob Terry doesn't look naturally athletic, he looks like a gym guy. A gym guy is someone who just lifts weights all day (and may or may not stick his ass cheek with a needle). Goldberg looked like he did a lot of physical activity, outside of lifting weights (which he surely did). You can tell a professional athlete from a body builder, it's pretty simple. Pro athletes, who play football, basketball, hockey, MMA..they are not muscle-bound freaks. They are athletic, and rely upon core strength as much as just lifting weights. IMO, Rob Terry has an impressive physique, much better than Batista. But that doesn't mean I think he looks better than Goldberg did. The guy who has the most veins popping out isn't necessarily the more in-shape person.

I agree that Goldberg became WCW's answer to Steve Austin, but they had no similarities besides the bald head and black trunks. That was it. Nothing "wore off" as you said, because it didn't exist to start with. Sure, if you put their pictures side-by-side back then, there were some common characteristics. But if you watched both man wrestle, including Goldbergs first match, you quickly realized Goldberg was a completely different character.

I do agree with you on the path Rob Terry should take. I think he should take the silent, get-it-done kind of route (maybe even with a manager). He's not a great talker, so he shouldn't be on the mic. But remember, Batista isn't that great of a talker either. Lately he's been much better in his angle with Cena, but before that I wanted to turn the channel everytime he picked up a mic. And also, I don't think Batista comes anywhere close to Goldberg in terms of charisma. I have always thought that Batista lacks charisma. Whether it's his weak machine-gun firing during his pyro, or that pathetic spear, he just doesn't seem like a charasmatic guy to me.

I don't think so because people may not admit it but what Goldberg over was his similarities to Stone Cold Steve Austin, it wasn't all about him flexing muscles and not saying anything it's that Goldberg looks like he's a mean guy with the bald head and goatee and with Terry he's huge but he don't have that monster look & with the MCMG haircut you can't take him seriously

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to go quite so far as to even say he's got the potential to be TNA's version of Goldberg. Terry is an impressive physical specimen, no doubt about that and it's got to be the primary factor for the push he's gotten. However, the handful of very limited matches he's worked thus far isn't quite enough to convince me that TNA can capture lightning in a bottle as WCW did.

The rise of Goldberg was one of these freak happenings that pop up in wrestling now and again that manages to catch on with the fans and becomes something bigger than the company originally intended or designed. It happened with Hulk Hogan, it happened with the Four Horsement, it happened with the Undertaker's WM streak and it happened with Bill Goldberg. I was never all that thrilled with Goldberg, personally I think he's more than a bit overrated, but there's no doubt of his impact and that what WCW did with him for a long time ultimately worked. Goldberg was this quiet, stoic, intense guy that never said a word, went into the ring, physically dominated his opponent for about 2 minutes in 95% of his matches and then walked back out. As Y 2 Jake pointed out, Goldberg also wrestled matches in which he dominated some of the biggest stars not only of the 90s but in wrestling history. The only wrestler currently in TNA that has the kind of standing that Hogan, Sting, Flair, Nash and some others had in WCW in the 90s is Kurt Angle and I don't see Angle losing to Terry anytime soon.

I dunno...when I think back on Goldberg and compare the two, I just can't really see as much potential as some do. Goldberg, the way he moved around the ring at times, his bearing, his presence, everything he did was intimidating. He was something of a predator stalking around the ring. When I look at Rob Terry, I just see a guy that works out a lot. Looking like you can kick someone's ass and giving the overall impression that you can kick someone's ass with just a glance are two different things. But hey, never say never in wrestling. There's also the possibility that the TNA fans won't accept it no matter how much TNA may try to shove it down their throats, if that is indeed the direction they ultimately have for Rob Terry. Look at what's going on with Abyss right now. Just because Hogan wants it doesn't mean the fans are going to lap it up.

I had a little different take after watching impact. They almost fooled me at destination x but the truth is in the squashes. He is still as bad as he always was. At least at putting on a real match. He has made some minor improvements in pacing and learned a new move or two but still has a long way to go. Interesting enough I was thinking Hernandez would do well in a TNA modernized Goldberg type role.

In the shittiest feud of all time, he could wrestle both of the Nasty Boys for weeks, eventually (literally) killing both of them with botched powerbombs. He'd be pretty over by then, I'd bet. Then, a feud with a great chicken-shit sell-monster like Brian Kendrick which could last a few weeks, plus all of the aforementioned guys, plus one-night-only surprises, an eventual one-off with Sid, a feud with Matt Morgan at some point, and then a possible main event run? I could see it happening. I don't think he has whatever it was that Goldberg really had, that sick kind of jacked energy, but they could definitely make a mint off of Rob Terry, if TNA really wanted to get behind the guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back