Best Crowd Chants

PrideWS

Smackdown's #1 announcer. INDEED
I have been watching wrestling for a while, and something that I find amazing is how the crowd, when they are loud, can really add to a moment, and take away from those moments when they are silent. That being said, sometimes the crowd can make some very memorable moments through some of the chants that they do. I wanted to get some opinions: what is/are your favorite crowd chant(s) of all time?

For me, nothing beats "Shane's a Pussy" chanted at Shane McMahon by a few crowds in mid 2000. That made me literally laugh out loud the first time that I heard it and it sticks out as a really vulgar but funny instance of crowd making a serious moment very comical. Just my two cents.

The floor is yours!

I honestly like the pops, to me that's the truest emotion. A pop is you are sitting there and something happens and pretty soon you're on your feet screaming and you don't remember how you got there.

Most chants are basically some wannabe smarky douchebags sitting there thinking "what can we do to show how awesome we are". Maybe I'm just bitter about those becaue of all the ROH shows I've been to where it seems people in the crowd literally are only there to see how many stupid chants they can get over. I actually heard someone try to chant "no more restholds". Which is dumb because according to Al Snow, Harley Race, and probably anyone else who's ever been successful, there shouldn't be a such thing as a resthold. You work a hold to tell a story.

Off my soapbox. If I were to pick a chant, it'd be "lets go Cena" "Cena sucks" because to me it carries the most true emotion. If you are at a WWE event, just stand up and chant one or the other and at least a handful of others will chant back, and then you'll get a section of other people chanting on your side, then that half of the arena chants back at you, then the other half of the arena chants on your side, pretty soon, EVERYONE in the arena is chanting one or the other. It's a true emotional response. Not some contrived bullshit some fat virgin in a Sandman shirt came up with.

I am with the poster above in that I love the pop. Some of the chants can get really lame. Crowd noise is huge for me when they are into it. It was kinda funny at mania last night when rock and cena tried to recreate the hogan rock stare down and failed miserably. The chant that I heard last night that made me lol was when Cena started hitting the shoulder blocks. Some of the crowd chanted same old shit. That was good. I am from Pittsburgh and I am very disappointed in the crowds at live events here. I very badly want to be apart of an epic crowd like chicago or toronto or the MSG crowd. To me it makes all the difference.

I am quite partial to "You fucked up." Some of the best ones are the ones sound like people just made them up that second. When I first heard "Same old Shit" it was so wow and funny and "She's a Crack ****e" And on ROH CM Punk 's former girlfriend and former WWE Diva Maria Kanellis recieved a "SLOPPY SECONDS" chant since she is dating ROH star Mike Bennett now.

lol.

ECW, WWF Attitude and the indy's have the best chants lol.

Back in the Attitude Era, the "Asshole" Chants were legendary. Loved them cause they were always loud and the way the heels would react would crack me up.

I'll admit, I'm going to be biased in my response because I'm picking a crowd chant from an event I attended. At SummerSlam 2004 in Toronto, the Undertaker faced JBL for the World title. Throughout the match, they teased a Spanish announce table spot multiple times and, wanting to see it, the crowd chanted "Span-ish Table!" Clap-Clap-Clap-Clap-Clap. It was kind of a slap to the face to the performers because the crowd would rather chant for the Spanish announce table than for anyone involved in the match, but I thought it was hilarious.

An honorable mention for a chant that took place during Edge Appreciation Night (also in Toronto) that will be seen on the new Edge DVD. With the crowd chanting "Thank you, Edge", Edge's mom was then introduced and the chant turned into "Thank you, Mom!"

A hot crowd can make a good match or a good moment into a great one. How good would Brock Lesnar's return have been if the crowd had been dead? The answer is that it would have not been anywhere near as special.

When you compare the reaction of modern-day wrestling crowds compared to those in the red-hot Attitude Era, the difference is quite shocking. There are a few exceptions, but overall the crowds are alot quieter these days, probably because the stars in the ring are not as good at getting those pops/reactions.

I love the way DX would shout "I got 2 words for ya", and then the crowd would yell "SUCK IT!" back at them, just brilliant. I think that is probably the single greatest wrestler/crowd interation in WWE history.

Also, the way the WWE audience sang along to Kurt Angle's theme "You suck...you suck...you suck...you suuuuuuck!", which initially started off when he was a heel, but eventually turned into a chant of endearment, which was great to see.

I remember watching one of the first broadcasts of WWEs ECW, and it was Big Show vs Batista. This might have been a big match had it been on either Raw or Smackdown, but this was an ECW show at the Hammerstein (I think it was anyway). I lost my shit laughing when only a few minutes into the match the crowd started a "SAME OLD SHIT!" chant. It was obviously of putting to both compeditors, but listening to Taz trying to keep it together and call the match was hilarious. Definately the best use of chanting I've seen.

WHAT? does it for me. Most people would say it's annoying and it ruins promos but that kind of is the point of the chant. It has provided hilarious reactions & responses though, like Kurt Angle's outbursts, from R-Truth, Undertaker & Vince and from Stone Cold himself. I never thought it would last this long but it has and hopefully it lives on longer cause it's awesome.

I may just be biased, because I really enjoy Daniel Bryan, but I think the best crowd chant was for him when he was in the indies, "You're gonna get your fucking head kicked in". It was long, yet easy, it was the perfect message to whoever Bryan was facing and it was just fun to chant.

I honestly enjoy the "Let's go Cena: Cena Sucks!" chant the most. It does a fantastic job in getting the crowd into the action. No one is impartial to John Cena, you either love him, or you hate him. And as much as I respect Cena for everything he does, nothing is more fun to chant he sucks with half of the audience while the other half chants for him. It truly is fun stuff.

"Shave your back" for the current Lord Tenzai always cracked me up. "Joe's Gonna Kill You", back when Samoa Joe was on his winning streak in TNA was also a great chant that reinforced Joe as a monster. And finally when Edge interfered against Cena and gave RVD the strap, the crowd's chant of "Thank You Edge" was icing on the cake.

I use to love Kurt Angle's 'You Suck!' chants. I also enjoy the "Let's go Cena: Cena Sucks!" chants aswell, i think both sides are trying to outchant the other which is great.

The Stephanie '****' chants were revolutionary when they started. Also over the years, ECW crowd has to take the mantle for creative chants, in One Night Stand alone maybe.

"I fucked Lita", "She's got herpes" were hilarious. Not to mention the best chant of all time during the Big Show/Batista match: "Change the channel".

Honorable mention to the "You still suck" chants.

I have a Charlton Athletic season ticket. Charlton Athletic, for the hordes that are understandably unaware, are a South London football team in League One. Every week, the same chants. I mean, Valley Floyd Road was stirring the first hundred times I heard it. And if I have to hear that parody of the Addams Family tune - the one about incest - then, well, I won't do much. It's still a little bit funny.

My point is, even in this den of uncreativity, which isn't even a word, the chants are infinitely better than what the WWE's massive international audience has ever come up with. Wrestling fans struggle to come up with anything longer than three syllables, and it's usually the name of whatever wrestler's standing in front of them. These days, the best reactions you get are either guttural noises or something about John Cena. Most passionate fans in the world? My arse.

The "Yes!" chants are alright.

In the meantime, I recommend wrestling fans start lifting chants from other sports. First up: 'Rhino, you're a cunt'.

There has never been a crowd that consistently chanted as creatively as the old ECW crowds at the ECW arena and at the Hammerstein Ballroom. I think the way the crowd was so epically hot makes people think ECW was better than it actually was.

Most recently, when the Miami crowd chanted Si! Si! Si for ADR the night after Wrestlemania, I lost my shit. It was hysterical.

My favorite chant is at one of the ECW's One Night Stand PPV, in the match between Batista and Big Show. And all the fans started chanting "Change the Channel" might have been the funniest I heard as a fan. The Miami crowd for Wrestlemania and the night after for Raw might have been the hottest crowd and smartest, we need more fans like them.

I love when say there is TNA chants on WWE Programming , or before Brock Lesnars return , there was all those chants for him ,you could just see by Cena's expression that he couldn't wait to see the 'WWE Universe"'s reaction to Lesnars return to the WWE.
I also like seeing chants like "We Want Ryder" when he isn't even booked, or with Daniel Bryan's YES chants , it made it to a NBA Game in Florida! When things go beyond WWE and Vince Mcmahons control regarding chants you will know that there is always a smile on my face.
:)

The best one in my opinion has to be the "lets go cena", "cena sucks". I especially like it because it points out a true fact. Listen to the pitch of the "lets go cena", then listen to the pitch of the "cena sucks". Recognize the difference? Thats why i like those chants, because they always have the kids and women on the cena side, and the grown men on the anti cena side.

i love the pops but also the this is awesome i think it just makes a match even more greater than it is also lets go cena.... cena sucks chants it can last for a long period of time and gets the crowd invested

Not to mention the best chant of all time during the Big Show/Batista match: "Change the channel".

I remember watching this match. "Same Old Shit", "Boring", "Change The Channel", "You Cant Wrestle", "You Both Suck". The chants made the match.

A personal favorite was "This is Awesome" to Shawn/Taker at WM26

2 personal favorites of mine are the crowd yelling "Suck it" back to Dx in the day and "Let's go Cena Cena Sucks" John chant is just so entertaining to hear crowds duel each other.

Before it was "Joe is gonna kill you!" it was "Taz is gonna kill you!" in the ECW. Taz's monster build was way better than Joe's imo. Taz may not have been as good in the ring, but he damn sure came off as more of a threat. Best monster build of all time. Bischoff copied it for Goldberg.

ECW had the best chants.

"Lets Fuck Sunny!" (clap-clap clap-clap-clap). Directed at Tammy Lynn Sytch.

"Francine still sucks dicks for crack, do-da do-da, Francine still sucks dicks for crack, do-da-do-da-day"

My favorites were when they chanted "Chris Candido" (clap-clap clap-clap-clap) during the Lance Storm vs Chris Jericho match at One Night Stand, and when they chanted "Win Your Belt Back!" (clap-clap clap-clap-clap) during the Shane Douglas vs Taz rematch after Guilty As Charged.

I remember watching one of the first broadcasts of WWEs ECW, and it was Big Show vs Batista. This might have been a big match had it been on either Raw or Smackdown, but this was an ECW show at the Hammerstein (I think it was anyway). I lost my shit laughing when only a few minutes into the match the crowd started a "SAME OLD SHIT!" chant. It was obviously of putting to both compeditors, but listening to Taz trying to keep it together and call the match was hilarious. Definately the best use of chanting I've seen.

Yeah, I really enjoyed that one. Especially when the crowd were chanting "Change the Channel *clap clap clap*". Poor Taz couldnt drown them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back