The London Crowd

xsKiitz

chidori nagashi. 漢字
As everyone would know, this past Raw event was held in London, England and like always, the crowd there was great. Why is it, that London crowds always seem to make regular American crowds sound like crickets?

I've noticed that lately all the crowds are boring and don't react to much apart from entrances and Orton's RKO, and just sit there being boring for the most part. London's crowd, on the other hand, were soo alive that it was amazing to see. I can't remember the last time I heard a crowd get in a chant battle. They reminded me of football games in places like England and Italy where the crowds are so loud and makes their presence known with constant chanting. It was truly great to hear that WWE crowds are still alive in some plcaes.

Examples would be likee,
The 'WHAT?' chant
Chanting 'Who are ya! Who are ya!' a few times like Cole's segment to the queen.
"Sir Michael Cole" 'SUCKS! "Sir Michael Cole" 'SUCKS! and so on. Also, the "RKO!" "GTS!" "RKO!" "GTS!" chant was great to hear :)

I think that it really adds to the viewing experience of a television viewer to see the live audience getting into the actual show unlike just sitting there and waiting for a cool flip to happen.

-Also, I loved how they stopped cheering for R-Truth even before his heel turn :)
Was one of the best Raw's I've seen recently for sure. Thoughts?

As everyone would know, this past Raw event was held in London, England and like always, the crowd there was great. Why is it, that London crowds always seem to make regular American crowds sound like crickets?

I've noticed that lately all the crowds are boring and don't react to much apart from entrances and Orton's RKO, and just sit there being boring for the most part. London's crowd, on the other hand, were soo alive that it was amazing to see. I can't remember the last time I heard a crowd get in a chant battle. They reminded me of football games in places like England and Italy where the crowds are so loud and makes their presence known with constant chanting. It was truly great to hear that WWE crowds are still alive in some plcaes.

Examples would be likee,
The 'WHAT?' chant
Chanting 'Who are ya! Who are ya!' a few times like Cole's segment to the queen.
"Sir Michael Cole" 'SUCKS! "Sir Michael Cole" 'SUCKS! and so on. Also, the "RKO!" "GTS!" "RKO!" "GTS!" chant was great to hear :)

I think that it really adds to the viewing experience of a television viewer to see the live audience getting into the actual show unlike just sitting there and waiting for a cool flip to happen.

-Also, I loved how they stopped cheering for R-Truth even before his heel turn :)

Its actually the total opposite. The crowd in London sucked and were quiet most of the night except for Rtruths heel turn. Why would you cry about them not cheering Orton, but be happy they didnt cheer Rtruth before his heel turn? Well thats typical.Maybe its because Orton sucks and hes boring as hell.

Just like Cmp is nothing more than a cruiser weight or midcarder at best! I think it was a joke ever making him world champion. Just like it is having Rey Mysterio beat guys like Batista and the big show and winning a world title when he doesnt belong in the ring with heavyweights and is nothing more than a dam cruiserweight. He only won the world title anyway because Eddie died.

Cmp hardly ever gets pops in the U.S whether hes Heel/Face. Im glad they turned Rtruth heel so you haters can see exactly why hes better than anyone on that dam BORING ASS RAW ROSTER . Glad the wwe finally Giving a black man another shot an not job all his matches. Thank Goodness hes not jobber anymore. If Randy Orton was a jobber for over a year would he suck? How typical of an Rtruth hater. You probably thought Shelton sucked to right?

I believe this thread is about the crowd in London? Not who sucks and who doesn't! Anyways, I was thinking the same thing! The London crowd was great!! It does make shows in the US seem pretty boring, idk why though? Maybe because it's less often that WWE has Raw in London but who knows, they were great though!

Its actually the total opposite. The crowd in London sucked and were quiet most of the night except for Rtruths heel turn. Why would you cry about them not cheering Orton, but be happy they didnt cheer Rtruth before his heel turn? Well thats typical.Maybe its because Orton sucks and hes boring as hell.

Just like Cmp is nothing more than a cruiser weight or midcarder at best! I think it was a joke ever making him world champion. Just like it is having Rey Mysterio beat guys like Batista and the big show and winning a world title when he doesnt belong in the ring with heavyweights and is nothing more than a dam cruiserweight. He only won the world title anyway because Eddie died.

Cmp hardly ever gets pops in the U.S whether hes Heel/Face. Im glad they turned Rtruth heel so you haters can see exactly why hes better than anyone on that dam BORING ASS RAW ROSTER . Glad the wwe finally Giving a black man another shot an not job all his matches. Thank Goodness hes not jobber anymore. If Randy Orton was a jobber for over a year would he suck? How typical of an Rtruth hater. You probably thought Shelton sucked to right?

You cannot be serious...either you wern't watching raw or you are at a new level of ignorance.

Considering im from london and have been to most of the shows for the past 10 years, i can tell you that the crowd is rarely quiet, similar to a football match over here, its full of chanting, noise and all out fun.

CM Punk a midcarder...whereas Shelton Benjamin and RTruth are awesome?

Shelton was fantastic in ring but had NO character, NO charisma and NO presence in the ring.

R Truth has i'd say above average charisma, and is bland in ring. Very Bland. Mix Shelton and Truth together and you may have a decent guy.

Punk is the total package, awesome on the mic, awesome in the ring and has a fantastic character right now. One of the few saving graces about wrestlemania this year was his program with Orton.

And i don't want to bring race into this, but i cant help but notice your name is realbrotha, you're bringing up the wwe giving a "black" man a chance. And you seem to be high on Black wrestlers such as truth and Shelton.

But why? what does race have to do with anything in this topic? This is about the crowd in london, not about wrestlers of different ethnic backgrounds.

But if you want to know why WWE rarely push Black wrestlers, its because most of them just aren't that good.

Kofi, Shelton, - Bland on the mic
Otunga, Truth - Bad in the ring
Mark Henry and Zeke Jackson have nothing going for them but size

JTG is the only guy i'd be happy they pushed, hes decent in ring, and is entertaining on the mic without having to pander to kids like Truth does. One guy they let slip through their fingers was elijah burke, He could of had some really good programs.

It does annoy me when people bring race into topics when they don't need to be there.

But overall, no, you're wrong. Go to a show in London, Manchester or Sheffield and you will realise that they are by no means quiet and will give any crowd in the US a run for thier money in terms of noise.

I really didn't like the football (or soccer, for our American friends here) hooligan style "Who are ya!?" chants. Made the event sound awful in my opinion. That aside, I thought the London crowd was really lively, very much into it, and that's supposed to be what Sports-Entertainment is all about.

I must agree with those who've criticised American audiences lately. They tend to be pretty flat most of the time.

Im sorry but what are you guys smoking? The London Crowd for RAW on Monday was fantastic. I guess nobody heard the RKO-GTS Chants,the Dueling Cena Chants,Cole getting booed,same with Vickie,Sheamus getting a decent pop,etc? Did you have your TV on mute or something?

The English crowd was lively as hell last night, better than alot of other cities. I think they may generally be better in London because they only do like 1 show there a year whereas in the US alot of the main cities get like 3-4 or even more(LOL, it rymed) events a year. They probably get more pumped up because they dont get shows as often.

I really didn't like the football (or soccer, for our American friends here) hooligan style "Who are ya!?" chants. Made the event sound awful in my opinion. That aside, I thought the London crowd was really lively, very much into it, and that's supposed to be what Sports-Entertainment is all about.

I must agree with those who've criticised American audiences lately. They tend to be pretty flat most of the time.

I'll agree with you there about the who are ya chants. Rather stupid IMO. They rarely happen at football stadiums anymore unless someone very new and young to football have come on and done something poor. But yeah, sounded really silly on monday at Raw.

Examples would be likee,
The 'WHAT?' chant

Dude, I couldnt agree more. Well, I go to MSG when we have WWE and its electric here. I would give London 2nd behind MSG (I know, I'm a "homer"). LOL I have to say though that London was FANTASTIC last Monday! I love it when WWE comes to MSG and when they go to London because the live crowd translates at home. If the crowd is dead then it comes across as boring. Great post!

:banghead: Seriously??? Here's the thing....I have been watching wrestling since I was about 4 years old....Venue after venue, city after city....Sure, you can make opinions about "crowd heat" all day....But unless you are THERE, you can never gauge how the crowd is, what they do, or the biggest one, how loud they are! And let me tell you, you think the London crowd was hot? Go to Madison Square Garden for WWE ANYTHING, now that is a loud and crazy crowd, the MECCA of Wrestling!!! Plus, R-truth is doing something that neither of us are, he has the dream job, working for Vincent Kennedy McMahon, in the biggest company in the business, flying all over the world, meeting thousands of people, day in, and day out, 300 plus dates a year.....but he "sucks", is "bland" in the ring....He sucks because you don't have his job, his paycheck, or half of his charisma....grow up, quit pissing and moaning about it, and just watch wrestling

Being there live - he crowd was electric pretty much the entire night taking a break only for the Divas match and Swagger as nobody could hear him live.

While the 'Who are ya?' chants sucked for the most part, we were doing our best to be loud but it appears everyone is 50/50 on whether or not the London crowd was good. I felt it was great all night, especially live but according to my brother the atmosphere was bad.

Being there live - he crowd was electric pretty much the entire night taking a break only for the Divas match and Swagger as nobody could hear him live.

While the 'Who are ya?' chants sucked for the most part, we were doing our best to be loud but it appears everyone is 50/50 on whether or not the London crowd was good. I felt it was great all night, especially live but according to my brother the atmosphere was bad.

I was there too, and I agree that it was pretty fantastic other than for the divas. Even Mark Henry got a decent reaction against Primo in Superstars.

The 'who are ya' chants are awful wherever it is. I go to quite a few football matches (Manchester United!) and I cringe whenever my fellow supporters chant it, which fortunately isn't all that often.

Everyone should just ignore that "realbrutha" person. Everything he says makes no sense, if you say anything about a "black" wrestler sucking.. he gets all offenic and is basically throwing out the race card.. I've read some of his other posts, he defends any "black" wrestler and hates the "others"

and yeah, I thought the crowd sounded cool.. loved the RKO / GTS chants.. but half the time i couldn't understand what they were chanting.. but the most annoying thing i heard was after Truth's heel turn and he started smoking.. "think about the kids," I was like what.. why? I still don't understand why she was yelling that, is smoking giving the kids a bad impression or something? I mean, seriously, i bet more than half the people in that audience smoke, and every time they step outside they see a few people with cigs and it couldn't be about Morrison's beat down, because in my opinion, it wasn't that violent

I loved the London crowd, the RKO and GTS chants were awesome. The London crowd reacted well, not one complaint here.

Ohhhh who are ya was what they were chanting? I couldn't make it out so thanks guys for clearing that up. One thing about the crowd, it's much louder in person than on tv. Even the parts that seems kinda quiet on tv are pretty audible in the arena.

:banghead: Seriously??? Here's the thing....I have been watching wrestling since I was about 4 years old....Venue after venue, city after city....Sure, you can make opinions about "crowd heat" all day....But unless you are THERE, you can never gauge how the crowd is, what they do, or the biggest one, how loud they are! And let me tell you, you think the London crowd was hot? Go to Madison Square Garden for WWE ANYTHING, now that is a loud and crazy crowd, the MECCA of Wrestling!!! Plus, R-truth is doing something that neither of us are, he has the dream job, working for Vincent Kennedy McMahon, in the biggest company in the business, flying all over the world, meeting thousands of people, day in, and day out, 300 plus dates a year.....but he "sucks", is "bland" in the ring....He sucks because you don't have his job, his paycheck, or half of his charisma....grow up, quit pissing and moaning about it, and just watch wrestling

i love this post.
every time someone gets on a 'superstar' and criticizes them, i feel like it should be reminded that they are doing what they love to do, get to travel around the world, and get a sweet pay check! someone mentioned daniel bryan being a 'failure' on another thread not to long ago, are you serious? my man is making good money, traveling, and loving life. ugh. internet smarks are the worst.

the english crowd was great. awesome rival chants, pops for superstars that wouldn't get pops in suburban america where people like randy orton and john cena get the biggest pops (GAG), and just a very lively crowd.

Unfortunately, I was not there, but watched on tv here in the states. And for the most part it was a really electric crowd.

Until the divas.

It was so awkward and painful to watch the divas wrestle in silence. Not the crowd's fault, I know, but still very awkward.

Dude you dont know anything about Rtruth. You just know him as a face by the way WWE used him. Like i said Rtruth AS A HEEL is better than anyone one that fucking Raw roster. And i stand strongly behind that statement. Nobody deserves a title shot more than he does. None of the other main eventers have had to job for over a year and if they did , you wouldnt be saying they sucked. I watched him in TNA , hes even better on the mic as a heel and more entertaining. If youre talking about shelton dont blame him for his gimmick.

Blame CREATIVE, Gold standard? King Booka? Did i mention they give dam near all black wrestlers the same finisher? The scissors kick or the paydirt or something similar. Truth is not bad in the ring, dude. I'll tell you whose bad Cena vs Miz= horrible Cmp vs Orton= horrible. Cmp is not great on the mic, Hes boring as fuck if you ask me, hes not that good in the ring either. If you wouldve said miz is good on the mic i wouldve gave ya that, but he sucks in the ring. Yeah i seen his matches before you ask. Like ive stated the WWE has been using Rtruth wrong the last 2 yrs. Happy they got it right, hell Shameus fucking sucks as well. From the parts i seen of raw the crowd was quiet. I didnt watch the most of the other matches because Raw sucked outside of the Rtruth segment. Thats what most people have been talking about. I guaran -fuckn- tee you. You wont be on here the next few weeks talking bout Rtruth after you see how good he is as a heel.

You only like black wrestlers, we get it, move the fuck on. RTruth is average whether he's black, white, purple, or green my friend. I'm curious to see him in the heel role, but he's not a main eventer and he never will be. He's no where near as good as Cena or Miz on the mic, and he can't touch Orton or CM Punk in the ring. You said no main eventer had to job for over a year. Cool, neither did RTruth because he's not even a main eventer. STFU already.

Onto the topic, I thought the London crowd was louder than usual. I think it has to do with the older London fans being in attendance. Just seems like there were more adult males than there are in the US shows, which are pretty much dominated by kids. One thing though. Those "Who are ya?" chants are fucking stupid and annoying...everytime I heard them, I punted a baby.

You only like black wrestlers, we get it, move the fuck on. RTruth is average whether he's black, white, purple, or green my friend. I'm curious to see him in the heel role, but he's not a main eventer and he never will be. He's no where near as good as Cena or Miz on the mic, and he can't touch Orton or CM Punk in the ring. You said no main eventer had to job for over a year. Cool, neither did RTruth because he's not even a main eventer. STFU already.

Onto the topic, I thought the London crowd was louder than usual. I think it has to do with the older London fans being in attendance. Just seems like there were more adult males than there are in the US shows, which are pretty much dominated by kids. One thing though. Those "Who are ya?" chants are fucking stupid and annoying...everytime I heard them, I punted a baby.

My favorite wrestler is HBK, Taker,Austin and The Rock. The dudes you named Fucking sucked every last one of them . Thats why the fuck Raw has been losing ratings the last few yrs BECAUSE THEY ARE SHIT TALENT. None of their matches are good unless they wrestle a legend like HBK/ Taker. Look at all the last few wrestlemanias with them main eventing.

THE MATCHES FUCKING SUCKED! CENA VS ORTON= TRASH. CMP VS ORTON =TRASH, CENA VS THE MIZ= EPIC TRASH. They shouldnt even be main eventers if you ask me. Rtruth isnt average in the ring dude.Hes just been a dam jobber for over a year. Like i said you havent seen him when he was in TNA WITH 6 SIDED rings and wrestling A.J styles. I told you all weekend how good the man was as a heel , now you got a lil sample and everybodys talking.

Ive told you i watched this man become a 2 time world champion in TNA WHEN HE WAS A HEEL. Just like i watched Awesome Kong become world champion in TNA. This dude is not a face like WWE tried to make him. He was a heel from the start. Now on to the crowd noise. I think theyre chants during Rtruth segment was hilarious " Thats illegal" Hell you even had someone yell "Think about the children" Rtruth is miles better than Orton and Cmp in the dam ring. He's always jobbing which is probably why you cant tell. he also havent used all his moves. I dont know if that has to do with WWE restricting him or what. Miz is very good on the mic i must say. Cmp Is boring. Rtruth is a main eventer if he Ever Gets A Fucking Chance and doesnt have to be jobber.

I hate to throw fuel on the fire here, but R-Truth's gimmick in the WWE was his own idea, the same with the whole King Booker thing; apparently Booker had been wanting to do that one for years. Also, the wrestler is the one that picks out their finishing move; obviously unless the bosses don't think it is safe (i.e. piledriver variation or certain power bomb maneuvers) or someone else is doing it. I mean honestly, I like R-Truth pretty well myself, except for the "What's Up" entrance, and was glad to see him get a shot at the belt, but I wouldn't use his TNA work as an indicator of success. TNA wrestling, which I watched quite a bit before Hogan and his boys moved in, is essentially a spot fest with no real story being told.

Anyway, to comment on the original posting; I wasn't there, but the crowd did not come off very well on television in my opinion except for the standard dueling Cena chants.

Reading some BS comments just make me sick.
“realbrutha” – don’t be such a hater. You hate “white” people because they are more successful in WWE than your “bruthas”.
This thread is about “The London Crowd” so why did you bring “skin color” topic to it?
The crowd in London was FANTASTIC! Someone wrote it’s because they have a show once a year. That could be the reason but it doesn’t change the fact that the crowd was ALIVE and louder than 95% shows in the US.

Now about “realbrutha”.
Cmp is nothing more than a cruiser weight or midcarder at best!
Really? You watch definitely different show than most of us.
You wrote many good things about R-Truth but the ONLY good thing about him was his entrance which is now gone forever.
WWE cares about crowd reaction and turning R-Truth heel doesn’t have any sense.
In my opinion they are preparing him to his final appearance and then they will let him go. It’s easier to fired heel than a face especially when R-Truth got some fans reaction during his “What’s Up” entrance.

You think he is in main event? LOL. No, he is not.
You are complaining about him jobbing for 2/3 years?
CM Punk IS main eventer for a long time now and he didn’t get a title opportunity since he lost his WHC title to The Undertaker almost 2 years ago.
I don’t see R-Truth as a main eventer or as a hell.
I see him leaving the company pretty soon. R-Truth as a heel (especially top heel) won’t work. There are many other superstars in the line who deserve push more than R-Truth.

I'll agree with you there about the who are ya chants. Rather stupid IMO. They rarely happen at football stadiums anymore unless someone very new and young to football have come on and done something poor. But yeah, sounded really silly on monday at Raw.

you dont go to football much then. the "who are ya chants" are mostly aimed at the opposing fans and happen at most matches. it is the remnants of the football violence days

like said the uk crowds (and most overseas tbh) are always hot because they only get to see these shows a couple of times a year and these shows are always full houses

and the wwe to be fair always puts on good shows in the uk. remember cena v hbk

please, take your r-truth discussion to one of the many threads already dedicated to him.
as for the actual topic, the london crowd was great i thought. i noticed that the crowd was dead for the morrison/truth promo that happened BEFORE the match. but to be fair, i was dead for that. the whole thing seemed so awkward and their average mic skills didn't help. and r-truth asking for water before the match? that joke sucked. no one laughed.
personally, i like the "who are ya?" chants. it's a great way for the crowd to irritate the heels and characters like that fake queen. the "that's illegal" chants to truth smoking were hilarious. especially how he turned around and realised that it was illegal. and the people screaming "please think of the children" were being sarcastic. the tone of voice they used made it clear they were joking. it's kind of a joke on how the wwe is PG.
i saw MSG brought up earlier. whilst it's good for big PPV's, the crowd is usually dead for raw. i remember raw in about october/november/december 2009 in MSG. the one where kofi did that big boom drop orton. other than that segment the crowd was pretty much dead.
the england crowds are great. it will be a while before wrestlemania comes to england. it will come, but not any time soon. but the WWE should just take a chance and give us a PPV. not something crappy like over the limit, but maybe TLC or night of champions. hell, summerslam would probably be the best option. maybe even the royal rumble

but the most annoying thing i heard was after Truth's heel turn and he started smoking.. "think about the kids," I was like what.. why? I still don't understand why she was yelling that, is smoking giving the kids a bad impression or something? I mean, seriously, i bet more than half the people in that audience smoke, and every time they step outside they see a few people with cigs and it couldn't be about Morrison's beat down, because in my opinion, it wasn't that violent

I can't believe you thought the crowd was being serious, it was clearly done in jest, didn't you hear the tone of the voice... they were using Ms Lovejoys voice from The Simpsons 'Won't somebody please think of the children', I'm seriously surprised that got lost on anyone.

The crowd was brilliant, I don't think it's so much the fact they do a couple of shows in the UK each year I think it's more to do with the British panto lifestyle. When you grow up you go to pantomimes where you are encouraged to interact with whats going on, everyones been to one if you grew up here... it gets implanted in your brain to interact with the performers when possible (of course you don't do that for serious performances, obviously) but Wrestling is just that, a pantomime. Also with UK being much smaller then America & London being incredibly easy to get to you get wrestling fans from all over the country thus ensuring the people more into it going and booking in advance. I went to this weeks Raw and it was electric as always.

Its mainly got to do with that British ideaology of us wanting to make the most noise possible to show off who we are when foreigners come to our country.

Football plays a major role, and it was a great atmosphere at the match, unfortunately I couldnt get tickets, so was rather annoyed, but I can imagine the feeling. I always think the American crowds get bored because its just full of kids, whereas in the UK our comedy and entertainment usually mocks the kids, so its all interesting to see adults wrestle I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back