Beer confuses me

WWWYKI777

Getting Noticed By Management
Yeah....... Beer confuses me

I just don't understand why its so many peoples go-to booze of choice.

I don't even understand how anyone could possibly perceive it as better tasting than something like Smirnoff Ice , Jack/Coke , or Mikes Hard lemonade , etc?

Do we really live in such a pretentious world that the majority of guys pick beer simply to not be drinking a "girly" drink? Or do they all honestly think beer tastes amazing?

In terms of alcoholic percentages in the drinks they are all the same at a 5% , so it couldn't be due to the strength of the drink...

Maybe I simply have only tried all the wrong sorts of beer (Coors , Michelob , Yuengling , etc) but they mostly all taste pretty much taste awful to me?

I wonder about the actual sales statistics of stuff like Smirnoff/Mikes Vs. Beer. I mean I just assume beer sells way better because I seem to be fairly alone in drinking all the other stuff for some reason lol

Then I also sort of think , well what if Jack/Coke was sold in 12 packs of cans and was in every store you could think of like how beer is. (Instead of in 6 pack bottles and pretty hard to find) do wonder if that could overthrow beer?

Main question is really , do you guys think Beer ACTUALLY tastes good or do you just drink it for lack of anything else to get a buzz off of without feeling de-masculated? If so , what kind is your favorite beer maybe I should try it?

Main question is really , do you guys think Beer ACTUALLY tastes good or do you just drink it for lack of anything else to get a buzz off of without feeling de-masculated? If so , what kind is your favorite beer maybe I should try it?

I don't drink alcohol. I don't understand it. It costs a fair amount and can get you into a lot of trouble if you can't control your consumption of it.

I just drink pop if I want something other than water. Pop tastes better and it doesn't get you drunk like beer does.

Beer is an acquired taste. Being from Canada, I grew up drinking delicious beer. The beer here ranges from 4.5 to 10% alcohol content. Some of my drinking buddies won't touch beer, they prefer Vodka, Rum, Whiskey, other "hard stuff". But when you want to drink socially and not worry about being too drunk to function. That and the 2.50$ price tag on the beers at the bar clinches it for me. I understand why you would be confused but, do you like onions? They confuse me. They're disgusting but people love them. As far as canned Jack and Coke or whatever, that wouldn't be a bad idea. When we buy booze we dont think, we just grab what we will enjoy that's convenient. Good thread, sorry for not structuring my reply better.

I don't drink alcohol. I don't understand it. It costs a fair amount and can get you into a lot of trouble if you can't control your consumption of it.

My brother refuses to drink as well and plenty of people who are on medications literally can't unless they wanna die so you're definantley not alone in that

Also about cost yeah I think its messed up that if you try to get a fancy drink at a restaraunt or bar it costs like 5-10 bucks for one damn drink which is ridiculous.

Or when theres wine that costs like $40 or more a bottle with some going up to the hundreds of dollars wtf. Honestly screw that give me a cheap ass $8 bottle of arbor mist instead I'm good haha (Only affordable way to drink is to either be rich or drink the type of stuff I mentioned in 1st post , or recently mentioned arbor mist and such lol)

I just drink pop if I want something other than water. Pop tastes better and it doesn't get you drunk like beer does.

But then theres the whole arguement that people actually enjoy being drunk :p , like if you're stressed out it can make you just forget about all your worries and chill out and if not that it helps people loosen up and just have a fun time/excuse to meet people at a bar and so on

Another negative point to it though is that it is horrible for weight control , it temporarily slows the hell out of metabolism and you handle the alcohol while just absorbing most of the other sugars/fats in your stomach (Or so the internet says) (If not for this reason I'd probably be a full blown alcoholic)

So if you totally refuse to drink , well technically great for you :) but for us morons who do , I don't know why any of them pick beer instead of other things.. main point here :lmao:

I understand why you would be confused but, do you like onions? They confuse me.

Do I like onions? Well if they are cooked and mixed with other things (Like meat and rice in a burrito , or chopped up cooked and in fried rice etc) Well then I think they are ok. But raw onions are HORRIBLE , so maybe in the same sense its circumstantial of the preperation of it. Like I said maybe the beers I've tried are just bad ones

It's an acquired taste. When I drank my first beer when I was like twelve or thirteen, I thought it tasted awful too. I wondered "How the hell could anyone want to drink this? It's nasty!". Of course once I actually started to drink beer on a more regular basis, I began to enjoy the taste and even savor it. An ice cold beer is refreshing in a way that no other drink is, similar to that unique "bite" you might get from a fresh, fizzy coke. Now of course not all beers are equal. Budweiser, one of my long-time stand-bys, isn't exactly a "good" beer per se, but it's cheap and plentiful and not offensive so I drink it all the time. When I've got some money though I like to spend a few extra bucks to get some higher quality beer, maybe some microbrews. There's a really good local brewing company calling Newport Storm that produce some delicious summertime ales.

I think you haven't tried the right kinds of beers, or your palate just isn't quite ready for it yet. Kind of like with smoking or other vices, it might take a few smokes or drinks before you start to actually "enjoy" the taste, but once you do, there's no turning back. Shit typing all this up makes me want to go grab a beer right now, but it's barely past noon and I hate drinking before 5PM.

As others have said, it's an acquired taste. Rest assured though, millions of men (and women) do enjoy beers and ales for their taste and not just to appear "masculine" or whatever as opposed to drinking a Smirnoff Ice or something. Smirnoff Ice is too sweet for me anyways, I'd prefer the taste of a fine ale over it any day of the week.

Like everybody else has said, it's an acquired taste. I didn't have my first beer until I was in my twenties and it took a few for me to begin to like it. Same with Red Bull for me. I had to have it a few times to begin enjoying it. Beer isn't my favorite alcohol but it is certainty up there and is perfect for a hot summer day. Nothing beats a good Appletini though. That shit is amazing.

We'll I'm not going to repeat what has already said but yeah, its something not everybody will enjoy. I don't drink as much as my high school days but when I do, I still prefer the hard liquor straight from the bottle, all the vodkas and rums and whiskeys. No matter how hard I tried, I could never get use to the taste of beer. It just made me want to vomit every single time. The only time I could even tolerate the taste of it was when I was already smashed(then again, everything tastes much better when your already drunk).

When I just want to relax and have a itch to swig on something then I usually prefer the Mikes hard and the Rum/vodka coolers(yes I'm not afraid to say it, girly drinks or not, they taste good :p ). Beer was never my thing and probably never will be, but there are those who enjoy it and I cannot dispute that, but in this moment in time, not my thing.

I don't drink beer because it tastes disgusting. I understand it's an acquired taste, but I'm 17 now and have been around and tried beer since I was a kid (you know when your parents are drinking and you just dip your finger in to try it). I also hate the taste of any other alcoholic beverages, it's not just beer.

The taste is just one of the reasons I don't drink beer. I don't like the feeling of being drunk. Drinking is an expensive habit. And it is potentially addictive. I don't fit in with other people in my age group because of it, but there you go.

When I just want to relax and have a itch to swig on something then I usually prefer the Mikes hard and the Rum/vodka coolers(yes I'm not afraid to say it, girly drinks or not, they taste good :p

Good to hear :)

I don't drink beer because it tastes disgusting. I understand it's an acquired taste, but I'm 17 now and have been around and tried beer since I was a kid (you know when your parents are drinking and you just dip your finger in to try it). I also hate the taste of any other alcoholic beverages, it's not just beer.

The taste is just one of the reasons I don't drink beer. I don't like the feeling of being drunk. Drinking is an expensive habit. And it is potentially addictive. I don't fit in with other people in my age group because of it, but there you go.

When I was the same age and would occasionally try some alcoholic drinks once in a while I thought ALL of it was disgusting too , but then later once I was actually 21+ and therefore legally entitled to drink alcohol and then actually really trying alot of stuff I found theres alot thats actually completely drinkable. Beer/champagne pretty much tastes like crap to me even now and I don't think that will ever change... but stuff like Smirnoff Ice or Jack Daniels coke/punch , rum mixed w/ juice , and most wines etc actually taste completely drinkable to me

Thats pretty much ridiculous if all the other kids are literally getting drunk/wasted on a regular basis... thats actually even ridiculous if they even get buzzed on a regular basis at that age..... I've heard of kids that age doing far far worse but they are not the kind of people to be like anyway

Odd.... the "Edit" button must dissapear after a while or something because its not there anymore and so I'm forced to double post to say this

I saw an AD for this on this forum actually
http://jeremiahweed.craveonline.com/

Its good to see this company is advertising alcoholic coke/tea/lemonade to a male demographic.... and.... its in cans like I was suggesting a couple posts ago

This is great , I haven't actually seen it in stores yet though hopefully soon though cause that would be awesome to have on hand and pre-mixed

Do we really live in such a pretentious world that the majority of guys pick beer simply to not be drinking a "girly" drink?

Hell yeah, we do. Beer is the macho beverage, the product that many guys drink to show everyone that they're real men.:blush: That's not to say people don't really enjoy beer; obviously, they do.

But it explains why so many guys will drink only Budweiser. As far as I'm concerned, Bud is one of the most foul, bitter-tasting beers on the market, but it's far and away the best seller in the U.S. because the good folks at Anheuser-Busch have somehow managed to convince a good part of the male public that it's the "man's" beer.

My Dad owned a package store for many years. He had over 50 different beers available in the store, but if he had chosen to eliminate all of them except Budweiser, he still would have satisfied 72% of those who came in to buy beer! He also noted that, in taking back returned cans, many of the Bud cans came back half-full, leading him to believe that many of those who drink Bud don't actually like it...... but it's the only beer they'd ever buy. In other words, they wanted their buddies to see them drinking it, but it was still possible to consume only half the can while still preserving their masculine image. What bullshit!

You want to talk about a marketing success story? You can start and end with The King of Freakin' Beers.

I actually really like Budweiser

Its probably my favourite lager, other than Fosters. If I am ever buying a bottled lager in a bar or club, it will usually be one of those two unless there is a great drinks offer on that night on another brand.

Just last night I was in a bar with my buddies and I bought Bud 66, and then later in another bar I chose Bud again, to me it is the nicest taste.

Personal preference though

I think you haven't tried the right kinds of beers, or your palate just isn't quite ready for it yet. Kind of like with smoking or other vices, it might take a few smokes or drinks before you start to actually "enjoy" the taste, but once you do, there's no turning back. Shit typing all this up makes me want to go grab a beer right now, but it's barely past noon and I hate drinking before 5PM.

[YOUTUBE]BPCjC543llU[/YOUTUBE]​

Here's the thing - 'beer' is a very wide encompassing term. It covers everything from lager (which seems to cover your enquiry) to ale right to stout and all degrees in between. It can be made from wheat, barley, corn, rice and/or hops.

Now personally, I enjoy lager, in particular the bottle american brands - set me up with a bud or a coors and I'll be smiling like a Cheshire cat. I'm not a fan of ales or stout though. I like cider but hate wine (all tastes like vinegar to me). I enjoy brandy, white rum and vodka but I'm not a fan of whisky.

Alcopops are fine and dandy but the real reason that most men don't drink it isn't really the image thing, it's very straightforward - if your gonna have a drink, you want something that tastes like a drink; not something that tastes like a supermarket own brand soft drink. The only time I'd go for this particular type of swallow is when I'm suffering from a hangover, because of their high sugar contents it makes a pretty good hair of the dog.

And Sally, my sweetness, I like bud and when I spent a couple of months in the US, I actually noticed a reverse snobbery about the King. 'It's so common' sorta thing. Cans of beer are not as nice as bottles or draft (although I'm not a fan of Bud draft - too gassy). Beers beer and I don't know anyone who'll drink one brand over another just to look more manly.

I think the reason so many people tend to go with beer is due to social acceptance. It's common in our culture to drink it and people want to fit in, then they get used to the taste to the point of liking it so much. I personally hate the taste and prefer drinks that others might view as "girly" in comparison. I don't care though. If I drink something it's because I like it, not because others think it's cool and that kinda thing. I think it's an issue of nostalgia combined with social norms because they grow so used to drinking with friends, which turns into "the good old days" after a long time has passed. Even if it tastes terrible to some of us. I don't have a favorite, all the ones I've tried I disliked.

I don't drink much alcohol as I did years ago, but when I was a teenager I would drink anything. I would drink nasty Schlitz or even Pabst blue ribbon, just because it had alcohol in it. Even if it was straight Everclear or even Smirnoff Ice. Back then I would get wasted by just drinking two Smirnoff Ice's. Eventually I built a tolerance and played drinking games with friends like flip cup and beer pong. I would drink 20 beers or more like Bud light or Miller Light.

Now, I really can't stand to drink beer from cans or bottles unless its a social event. I prefer drinking Blue Moon on tap from a bar or Guinness on tap. Drinking beer on tap in Europe whether it is from the Heineken brewery in Amsterdam or the Guinness brewery in Dublin, is truly amazing. I even tried the Jameson factory as well.

Not a big drinker now, but whether it was bourbon, whiskey, mojitos, hurricanes, wine, long island ice tea, it didn't matter. Some may feel that drinking mixed drinks or even having a lime or orange in your beer is "gay" but I don't care.

I enjoy bourbon like Jack and other fine Kentucky bourbons with Coke or Dr.Pepper. Crown Royal and Coke is good too. Beer is pretty skunky and most alcohol tastes like Windex, so its definitely an acquired taste. Avoid the mini plastic beer kegs like Coors Light since you get more air and foam then beer. I only drank a few cups of that and got sick as a dog. Bacardi, Everclear, and even Tequila can make you very sick.

Yagermeister with Red Bull or even Vodka with Red Bull can make you really happy then really bad off later too. Basically no one wins with any type of alcohol consumption unless they do it in moderation. I used to get really drunk 3 nights a week, and now I can go months without even taking a sip.

dont drink beer, has a terrible taste i go for my rum and pepsi then hit the vodka and pepsi. as for beer, its light liquor, i prefer hard liquor (vodka, rum, etc) plus it has a bad taste and you can drink 10 beers and just barely be drunk. cause beer is light liquor.

I thought beer was the most disgusting thing I've ever tasted, when I first tired it years ago. I was trying to be cool, so I tried to drink a 24oz can of Coors Light pretty fast. Well, I threw up pretty quickly, and I couldn't stand the bitter taste. I thought I would never try beer again, but I have had my fair share of Budweisers and Samuel Adams over the years.

At first, I couldn't stand stand beer, but I gave it a second chance, and it wasn't as bad as I originally thought. I used to drink Smirnoff Ice, but I grew tired of the sweet taste. I've had whiskey and other hard liquors before, but I barely touch them nowadays. In fact, it's been a while since I had any type of alcohol. I just haven't had the urge to drink any this year.

Many people probably want to fit in or be accepted, and trying alcohol is one of the ways to accomplish this goal. I did it to be cool at first, but as time went on, I started drinking because I wanted to. I thought I was over beer after my first try, but trying other brands helped me out a lot.

I love beer. When I first drank I loved beer and thought it was great. That was until I had entirely too much and was throwing up on dogs, toilets, rugs, couches, and kitchen sinks. It was a bad night and ruined beer for me. I couldn't drink it anymore. I would try and it would just make me sick. I then went through a stage of drinking "girly" drinks like Smirnoff Ice and Mikes. I got sick of Smirnoff pretty quickly. I still drink Mikes if I'm at a party and just want something fruity to drink. However my taste for beer seemed to come back once I turned 21. I love beer now and there is nothing like enjoying an iced cold beer after a long day at work or with a good meal. I drink pretty much anything when it comes to beer. My two favorite beers are pretty much at different ends of the spectrum. Rolling Rock (considered a piss beer) and Guinness (dark, stronger beer). It is all an acquired taste. Hell I'm still acquiring taste for certain beers as I'm not quite familiar with them. If you get use to the taste you realize just how good beer is, if not there are plenty other drinks to satisfy that urge if you are willing drink.

I too was like a lot of you. It wasn't until I got to college when I was 18 that I started developing a pallet for beer. When I got to college I drank mostly liquor.. Which is a huge mistake if you're a smaller guy like I was.. I always got way too drunk and eventually sick. I eventually learned that drinking beer is a good way to pace yourself and hence my tolerance and pallet built as a result.

Personally I prefer IPA's [or India Pale Ales].. They have a "darker" flavor and I think tastes a lot better than a wheat or even a lager but aren't as filling as a some stouts like Guiness. Of course they're usually a little more expensive so when I'm just hanging with friends I'll go with PBR [which is actually one of my favorite beers] or even Bud Light.

I like these threads it's kind of fun to see everyone's opinion on stuff like this.

You guys are breaking my poor hobo heart...

I love my beers, perhaps approximately... one million times better than hard alcohol. I like ales a lot, too. I've toured my areas local breweries, I've read up on the process (never made it; what a pity), and love the rich history in beer. Its a highly refined, perfectly delicate process. If you focus, you can taste the efforts in your beer the moment you pop the cap off.

Ales a wonderful. They're deep, misunderstood, artistic. Ales are listeners. When its fourth quarter and tour team is down, man, a full bodied micro-brew is as pissed at those bums on ESPN as you are. When you're creating something beautiful on a Saturday, my ale bounces ideas with me... and at night, her bubbles kiss my lips as gently and affectionately that it understands me better than my spouse ever could.

Coors Light, is your social butterfly, with a ton of friends to come party with you. A silver bullet is as universal as a handshake, it hi fives you in the halls and in the evening it reached out to you, it connects you with your friends and says, "speak to me, brother. Make me your wall. I care about you..."

It's a language of its own. A sport every country follows. Whereas our religion may be different, I wont hesitate to worship an import with any sort of deity. Heineken lets you taste the destruction of the Berlin Wall! Molson Canadian is smooth, so natural tasting, it locks in the ice cols Canadian temperatures in every bottle. Corona lets you know the joy of drinking authentic Mexican piss.

Mixed drinks are fine, but a much different drunk. A lot of the times, its hard to refrain from getting belligerent. It doesn't offer a chance to get formulaic drunk. Twisted & Mike's though, couldn't ever drink the stuff. Its too sugary and upsets my stomach.

Or you could just roll a J, man...

I don't like Beer at all. It tastes awful. But, I like being drunk and since consuming alcohol is the only way to get drunk, beer is usually my first choice.

It's pretty much the winner by default, though. Hard Liquor requires a chaser for me, less I want to throw up. And Smirnoff and shit is too sweet for me to slam. I'll take a 6 pack of beer to the head in 2 hours and be tilted but I drink 3 Smirnoffs really fast and my stomach starts hurting. It's just like drinking too much pop.

When I drink beer, it's always Bud Light. No heavy taste, goes down like water, and I can put it away fairly quickly to get to where I want to be.

It's definitely something you have to get used to, everyone's first beer tasted like shit but eventually they got used to it. I started drinking it because I liked getting drunk, it was cheaper than buying my big bottle of Bushmills and I spent part of my childhood/early teens visiting my dad and family in France where you start drinking around 13 and it's just the norm. But eventually I aquired a taste for it and now I'll take a beer over whiskey which was not the case 2 years ago, ofcourse brand and style come into play as well. Personally I started out as a beer snob and only drank imported, my drinks were Heineken and Becks. I still love those but now I'm a Coors Light regular because it's a hell of alot cheaper and if it's in a bottle I'm content.

My confusion with beer is why does it seem to be a requirement for fun? That's what "having a night in the town" always means. It can never be just that. A night in the town. Booze is apparently a requirement to have fun in the night. You go to town:

-"Hey, have a beer".
-"Nah".
-"You're no fun".

You've never given someone that response? Time and time again, I prove to my friends they don't need the stuff to enjoy the atmosphere. Yet time and time again, it's the same deal. Not just from people met there. But friends too. They can say I'm no fun as much as I want but at the end of the day, I don't need it and I will not cave just so I can fit in better.

My confusion with beer is why does it seem to be a requirement for fun? That's what "having a night in the town" always means. It can never be just that. A night in the town. Booze is apparently a requirement to have fun in the night. You go to town:

-"Hey, have a beer".
-"Nah".
-"You're no fun".

You've never given someone that response? Time and time again, I prove to my friends they don't need the stuff to enjoy the atmosphere. Yet time and time again, it's the same deal. Not just from people met there. But friends too. They can say I'm no fun as much as I want but at the end of the day, I don't need it and I will not cave just so I can fit in better.

I don't drink, never have, but I have never ever had this problem. People will offer me a drink or a shot, & I'll turn it down & tell them I don't drink & occasionally they'll ask why, but most of the time they're like "ok cool" & go about getting their drink or shot. Most of my friends like that I don't drink & have realized the benefits of having a sober friend around, such as always having a ride home, & someone that can tell them "what the fuck happen last night". It's also nice to have someone around that can keep them from getting to stupid, & getting in fights & shit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back