B Round 1; 13 Pokemon Red & Blue (GameBoy) v 116 Final Fantasy Tactics

?

• Pokemon

• FF Tactics

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
images

v

images

This is where my Final Fantasy fanboy voting stops. I mean honestly guys, do we really need like 8 different Final Fantasy games making it past Round 1?

Don't get me wrong, Tactics is a good game, and breathed fresh life into a franchise that had followed the same basic formula for quite a while.

The original Pokemon game however was just downright amazing. Everyone and their mother was obsessed with Pokemon at the time, and the video game was all the rage for everyone. People would buy Gameboy's simply to play the Pokemon game, and for good reason. It put you right in the middle of the Pokemon universe, where you could capture and train and fight your own Pokemon. But it was more than that, it was a great story (for kids atleast).

Do the right thing here people and don't let the FF fanboy-ism blind you, vote Pokemon.

As big a FF mark I am Pokemon destroys it. Tactics is the most original FF game. It takes out the basic formula like X said, and offers a whole new aspect to FF. However the pokemon red and blue game started a revolution of pokemon games. This game was AWESOME. Many people may think that because it is pokemon this game would be easy. Holy god would they be wrong. This game was so challenging that it took me months to beat it the first time. The gyms were easy, but finding Surf in the safari zone was fucking HELL. Pokemon shatters tactics easily.

This is where my Final Fantasy fanboy voting stops. I mean honestly guys, do we really need like 8 different Final Fantasy games making it past Round 1?

I still say Final Fantasy VIII or VI should not have made it past.

Don't get me wrong, Tactics is a good game, and breathed fresh life into a franchise that had followed the same basic formula for quite a while.

Yes. And had an amazing story and look to it, for someone who has professed the beauty of games for so long.

The original Pokemon game however was just downright amazing. Everyone and their mother was obsessed with Pokemon at the time, and the video game was all the rage for everyone. People would buy Gameboy's simply to play the Pokemon game, and for good reason. It put you right in the middle of the Pokemon universe, where you could capture and train and fight your own Pokemon. But it was more than that, it was a great story (for kids atleast).

But honestly, it's the same thing over and over again. Catch pokemon, go to the Elite Four, fight Team Rocket on the way. Boo.

Final Fantasy Tactics offered the awesome job class system, which allowed customization on a grand scale. It introduced job points, which allowed you to gain new abilities without having to find Materia or weapons or buy magic. It was a game that focused primarily on skill and planning, not weapons or armor or level. It was the purest form of a strategy game you could get, unless you went to Risk. And who plays Risk when you can play Final Fantasy Tactics?

Final Fantasy's story trumps Pokemon's by a mile. Gameplay is trumped as well. Replay value, I'll say equal. Why? Pokemon you catch all 150, but on Final Fantasy Tactics you play for hours and hours saying "Huh, let's see what 5 Calculators can do" or "Let me trounce you with 5 Ninjas." Quite simply, the combinations for both are endless. Graphics, if you wanna measure by that, go to Final Fantasy no qualms about it.

Do the right thing here people and don't let the FF fanboy-ism blind you, vote Pokemon.

They let fanboyism blind them by voting for Final Fantasy VI over WoW. Voting for Final Fantasy here is a vote for a better game, all around.

Don't let blind Pokemon fanboyism (see X, I can do it too :)) block your vote for the game that SHOULD win:

Final Fantasy Tactics

I'm going Final Fantasty Tactics. Not that I believe it is a great game, it's decent, but not exactly my cup of Tea. No, I am from the fortunate generation that didn't deal with the abomination known as Pokemon. Lucky for me, I passed this phase, and find the Pocket Monsters amongst the most annoying and disturbing things created in the history of mankind. If you vote for Pokemon, you might as well be a Satanist.

I'm going with Pokemon, whilst hardly a groundbreaking game (see Mother) it was just damn fun, I found tactics tedious at time, whilst Pokemon just had everything I wanted in a game :)

A vote for nintendo is a vote aginst shocky :p

Pokemon wins this. It is one of the few video games ever to create an entire phenomenon. TV shows, toys, spin off games, the works came from Red and Blue. In fact, a little while ago another generation of Pokemon game came out and people were still going out and buying it. This game was the reason I bought a Game Boy, and the reason I still have the GBA SP today.

FF Tactics. I spent many a summer (or at least one) watching buddies play this game. I never got into it myself, but for some reason, it was VERY fun to watch. Loved it.

Pokeyman on the other hand...that game was pretty freaking boring.

PokeMon Red/Blue are amongst my favourite games of all time. The sheer fact that you could have 6, Out of a possible 146 PokeMon(remember Mew, And the cartridge exclusives.) was utterly mindblowing for me, Then types, And movesets came into the fray with adds a whole level of depth to the game, And if you are a real player, EV stats, And nature stats would take it up another level (although may not introduced until G/S/S, Damn LG, And FR). Then you would have to level up to the point that you could fight the gym leaders, And eventually take on the Elite 4.

The story can be summed up in one phrase, "Good vs evil", And that's excatly what it is, The story makes you believe you are fighting a corrupt corporation, Hell bent on taking the most powerful PokeMon so they can rule they world, But in a BIG twist it turns out you have to fight Giovanni, The head of Team Rocket, And the 8th gym leader.

Can anyone remember the Victory road, That was fucking epic to get from one end to the other in an hour, It was so expansive, And if you didn't knoww how to navigate through it, You could get lost, And VERY frustrated very quickly.

But honestly, it's the same thing over and over again. Catch pokemon, go to the Elite Four, fight Team Rocket on the way. Boo.

Ridiculous - you can boil any game down to make it look crap if you want to - FFVII is just levelling up and watching cutscenes? Ridiculous. Pokemon came out near the end of the Gameboy's lifespan, and became the biggest selling game for it (not counting games that came with the console). Second highest selling was Pokemon Yellow which is almost exactly the same game. You can say sales figures don't mean anything e.g. Indiana Jones the new one grossed a lot simply because it's part of a successful franchise, even though the film itself was crap - but Pokemon Red/Blue ARE THE FRANCHISE which has gone on to become a staple of modern media culture all over the world.

The very fact that people know so many details about pokemon should very honestly show how influential it was. They know Team Rocket, the elite four, they remember their favourite pokemon.

Whether you've played Tactics or not, its still a final fantasy game, and thus it is good. But compared to Pokemon it is absolutely nothing.

The impact of pokemon is undoubtable, movies, cards, tv shows, every bit of merchandise you could imagine. I wont go into detail, because this should be a clean sweep for pokemon, but I ask you, really, if even you werent part of the generation that loved the game (shocky), at least appreciate it.

You dont have to like it, or even have played it very much, just appreciate it as a better game than tactics.

Pokemon all the way here.Now don't want to go to far into why it will win,but to be honest,Pokemon had everything.If you wanted a story,you have a good one.If you want characters,you have great ones,like oak,Giovanni,your rival.If you want originality,you have a game that is like no other.You aren't a pokemon,you catch pokemon.It's just so imaginative.The way it's done aswell,you have stats,moves that match the types and different stats(Such as physical moves linked to attack,elemental moves linked to special attack) and different types are strong and weak to others.

The thing that really made me love Pokemon,the turn based battling.When it comes to games,I'm a little bitch.I panic in battles when there are no designated turns.That's why Pokemon is so great.It's the ultimate game of strategy.You plan moves before you use them.You build a team that will deal with most or all types.

So please,vote pokemon.

Pokemon, just because everyone was in that phase where they were addicted to that game and collecting merchandise. They knew how to market that game to every kid in the world.

Tactics was alright but I'm not a big fan of FF games except 1 for the NES.

Pokemon. I have played both red and blue (like it matters) over a thousand times when I was like 5 or 6. It was jsut awesome, you just had to be hooked to it because of the anime. Then when you compelte the game you go to the missingo cheat, haha great fun.

Holy Shit alot of people like pokemon. I voted for Tactics, because its a much better game than Pokemon. In pokemon all you do is collect things over and over again, the story is you collect pokemon win badges and fight 4 guys at the end. Pretty boring overall. With Tactics the gameplay,story,graphics and sound were overall better which is why it gets my vote. I'd rather have had Tactics go up against VIII instead of X as I'd have pushed X to the moon over Pokemon. But it looks as though Pokemon advance its a shame but not as bad as Diddy Kong racing beating Parasite Eve.

Ridiculous - you can boil any game down to make it look crap if you want to - FFVII is just levelling up and watching cutscenes? Ridiculous. Pokemon came out near the end of the Gameboy's lifespan, and became the biggest selling game for it (not counting games that came with the console). Second highest selling was Pokemon Yellow which is almost exactly the same game. You can say sales figures don't mean anything e.g. Indiana Jones the new one grossed a lot simply because it's part of a successful franchise, even though the film itself was crap - but Pokemon Red/Blue ARE THE FRANCHISE which has gone on to become a staple of modern media culture all over the world.

It's not rediculous at all. What did you do in Pokemon? Catch pokemon, fight Team Rocket, fight the Elite Four. 3 steps to the story. Seriously. 11 if you want to add gyms.

You said it for me. "Pokemon Yellow which is almost exactly the same game." Pokemon may have launched a series of games, but it launched a series of games that were Pokemon Red and Blue, only with a few new Pokemon. And with the exact same story of "Catch Pokemon, fight Team Rocket, fight the Elite Four."

Tactics, however, had a very engrossing story. It wasn't Final Fantasy I recycled. It wasn't the same old turn based system. It wasn't the same old classes. It was a brand new look on Final Fantasy.

I mean, ok. Pokemon beats Final Fantasy Tactics. I can handle that. But 24 to 6?!?!?! This game in no way deserves that. You guys are voting for a incredibly inferior game on all levels. For reals.

who gives a fuck if the pokemon games that came afterwards were the same boring formula. We're talking red and blue not every other game in the series.

Who cares if yellow was the same game?! It was, just made team rocket be jesse & james and give a pikachu push.

I am voting for pokemon as I enjoyed it more than tactics, but it's not the great game everyone makes it out to be...that shall be kept for another round tho :p

who gives a fuck if the pokemon games that came afterwards were the same boring formula. We're talking red and blue not every other game in the series.

Who cares if yellow was the same game?! It was, just made team rocket be jesse & james and give a pikachu push.

I am voting for pokemon as I enjoyed it more than tactics, but it's not the great game everyone makes it out to be...that shall be kept for another round tho :p

Also Yellow was abit of a ripoff, I mean you couldn't even get near as half of the pokémon in red and blue. Me and my brother did a trick of trading the pokémon, restarting and going again so we had Bulbasaur, Charmander & Squirtle all to start with, made it so much more fun. But the original Pokémon was the shit! I did enjoy Gold & Silver, but the original set it all up and was just so damn good.

Question, did anyone get all 151?

Pokemon works because of its simplicity - and it's in depth enough to cater to "serious" gamers as well - it has a unviersal appeal, whereas Final Fantasy of all forms is something only "gamers" as a rule tend to enjoy.

My inner FF fanboyism is crying out in pain right now, but I'm going to vote Pokemon here. I actually enjoyed playing the originals, and the RPG elements intrigued me as well. The newer versions throw more RPG elements into it, so much so that it makes micromanaging a must in some aspects. While FF Tactics may have been a great game to some of you, it just mostly pissed me off and I wasn't a fan of it. To me it was boring, while Pokemon honestly did give you some challenge since you had to level up the correct Pokemon in order to be the next Gym Leader. So Pokemon wins, partially because I didn't like FF Tactics.

Well, honestly, it matters when people argue that Red and Blue should be voted for because of the series they kicked off. If you wanna argue that, you have to accept that the following series was completely the same shit over 6 more games.

If you liked Pokemon more, then it's cool. I'd never say you HAVE to like a game or you HAVE to dislike a game. Vote for a game you like more, it's all good. It's when people try to argue that Pokemon is this master game that is infinitely better than Tactics. It's not. Not even close.

I never got into Final Fantasy and never even heard of Tactics. But I do know how awesome the Pokemon games were and still are. I'm actually currently working on Yellow now. They have incredible replay value. Red and Blue were both awesome as well. Who gives a fuck if Yellow and Gold and Silver were remakes of Red an Blue. This is about Red and Blue versus Tactics. I'm going with Pokemon and honestly am surprised it isn't even more of a beatdown. Seriously why all the blind poke hate FF fanboys?

I never got into Final Fantasy and never even heard of Tactics.

Oh, then you're completely qualified to tell me how much better Pokemon Red and Blue is than Final Fantasy Tactics, a game you've never played before. OK. That makes total sense.

But I do know how awesome the Pokemon games were and still are. I'm actually currently working on Yellow now. They have incredible replay value.

Just as much as Final Fantasy Tactics. For every new combination of Pokemon you try there is a new combination of job classes to try in Final Fantasy Tactics.

Red and Blue were both awesome as well. Who gives a fuck if Yellow and Gold and Silver were remakes of Red an Blue. This is about Red and Blue versus Tactics.

When someone argues that you should vote for an inferior game because of the series it launched, the series comes into question. Therefore, the series is shit remakes of Red and Blue, with a few pokemon thrown in.

But, you're right. It's about Tactics vs. an inferior game.

I'm going with Pokemon and honestly am surprised it isn't even more of a beatdown.

Based completely off of your lack of playing the game, and just plain overall ignorance. OK. It's one thing for people to say "I just plain liked Pokemon better." That's fine. But to say Tactics is a worse game without even hearing about it before? After openly admitting you don't really care for Final Fantasy games? Please.

Seriously why all the blind poke hate FF fanboys?

LULZ. Coming from the man who just typed out a paragraph of hate towards a game he's never even played before, that's incredibly laughable. Please.

If anything, people are using blind fanboyism to vote for a game that is all around worse. These results are a travesty. But it's alright. They got 8 votes. I've got my fingers crossed for 10 by the time voting closes.

Pokemon all the way. It was a completely addicting game that I would stay up deep into the night to play. I loved the variety of different pokemon you could have and it was actually quite a challening game, at least when I was younger.

FF Tactics is not the best of the FF series and didn't bring me the same enjoyment as pokemon. Therefore, Pokemon advances.

well i have played both and really liked both. but Pokemon will advance for me. Final Fantasy is good but dam was Pokemon ever addicting as all hell. it was very challenging to and you got to be and catch several Pokemon. Pokemon for the win just barely though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back