Announcing Teams: The Future of Tenay & Taz; Xplosion

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
I know a lot of folks on here aren't too fond of Mike Tenay or Taz, and even more are thoroughly against the idea of the two of them announcing together for a slew of reasons, but with the announcement that Xplosion will feature a new announcing team, what do you see as the the future for Tenay & Taz, or more importantly, the future of announcing in TNA?

Could this spell the return of Don West, or perhaps a promotion for a guy like Hector Guerrero, or will they be going the WWE route and bringing in brand-new names to establish?

Ex-wreslters have often made for pretty good announcers when they had the charisma and personality to get themselves over behind the headset, so could retired or semi-retired types be a possibility as well?

What are your thoughts on the future of announcing in TNA? Is there anyone in particular you'd like to see brought in, replaced or shifted between iMPACT! and Xplosion?

Well I think that Taz and Tenay will still do the annoucing for Impact. But as for Xplosion I could see them bring someone like JB or Don west to the booth. But maybe they should use a guy in tna who is hardly ever being used and make them a commentator sort like what they did with Matt Striker.

Maybe a guy like Raven or Dr.Stevie those are only suggestions though.

I don't think Stevie would make all that good of a commentator, Raven would be ok but I've always thought Scott Hall would make a GREAT colour commentator. He has a very strong and recognisable personality that many viewers would instantly recognise but we wouldn't have to suffer through any of his matches or ridiculous selling.

The one thing that impressed the hell out of me lately with Hall is is abilty to still cut an amazing promo, so why not try to transfer that abilty into announcing? As long as Hall is able to put himself aside and properly put over the current stars then I think this would be a perfect fit for him. He could still have the occasinal storyline that leads into a match, one that could be properly build and be completly original with nothing to do with Nash, Waltman or the "old days". Pair him a good play by play guy like JB and I think we have a winning combination. Unless he starts getting wasted before work again.........which could still make for great T.V.

I like Taz and I always thought he was a pretty good announcer, dating back to his WWE run. As for Tenay, I never saw that much in him, and I would much rather have DOn West at the Table then him. Hopefully for Xplosion, they'll bring in announcers like Don West or Hector Guerrero, even better, do Adam08's idea and pull a "Matt Striker" and send in a former/unused wrestler

I think Raven would be an awesome commentator. He "gets" the angles they are trying to put over. I would suggest that he would wor better on whatever show runs latest- his sense of humor might be a bit dark for prime time.

I think Taz and Tenay are the two best commentators in the business right now. I mean WWE's commentators are beyond bad. Even Lawler somehow. Taz and Tenay are entertaining together and actually sound like they know what they're talking about.

But as for Explosion, I love the idea of getting a wrestler and a guy like Don West. I think Kevin Nash would be great choice. Or even bring back Mick Foley.

I have never had a problem with Taz doing commentary. I have never been much of a fan of Mike Tenay though. I think it will probably be a return for Don West (even though I always thought he was worse than Tenay)

Or, dare I say it, could we see Hogan at the announce table? That wouldn't be too much of a suprise though

All great choices for an Announcing team. I think if he were to retire soon, Mr. Anderson would be a good color guy. If JB becomes a commentator does that So Cal Val will be a ring announcer....if So I am happy.

Play-by-play: Don West, JB

Color: Maybe Bischoff (pretty big maybe), maybe a rumored JBL? I don't know. But Raven, Simon Diamond (Pat Kenney) would be a good choice. I remember his promos in ECW. Bring in shane Douglas and Xplosion will be Franshised!

I think Taz and Tenay are the two best commentators in the business right now. I mean WWE's commentators are beyond bad. Even Lawler somehow. Taz and Tenay are entertaining together and actually sound like they know what they're talking about.

But as for Explosion, I love the idea of getting a wrestler and a guy like Don West. I think Kevin Nash would be great choice. Or even bring back Mick Foley.

The best in the business by default only. When the other guys are just plain terrible it's easy to look good.
I do like the Mick Foley idea. He still has a great mind for the business and this would be a way to utilize him with out having to see Mick in the ring.

Whomever they pick I doubt it'll be brand new people. TNA doesn't hire people that haven't had thier heyday somewhere else previously.

All great choices for an Announcing team. I think if he were to retire soon, Mr. Anderson would be a good color guy. If JB becomes a commentator does that So Cal Val will be a ring announcer....if So I am happy.

Play-by-play: Don West, JB

Color: Maybe Bischoff (pretty big maybe), maybe a rumored JBL? I don't know. But Raven, Simon Diamond (Pat Kenney) would be a good choice. I remember his promos in ECW. Bring in shane Douglas and Xplosion will be Franshised!

Diamond & Douglas IMO probably make up the best-of-the-best for would-be ex-wrestlers turned heel-commentators. I'd kill to have either join the broadcast as a heel broadcaster.

Franchise would probably be the closest thing to the days of Hennig or Heenan on the mic pro-wrestling has had since perhaps JBL, and Diamond could potentially go the route of age-old Lawler, I'm thinking.

Well it wouldn't be much of a stretch with Diamond, because he is still under contract with TNA. Also Shane Douglas was brought up to by me, for the sole fact that if an ECW group is going to "invade" TNa why not bring two big players in the original with Diamond and Douglas to the table.

Both could work. I was thinking of the connections you made to each man. It's Damn Real! I enjoyed them back in the day, so why not! Maybe even a return of the Fallen Angel as a commentator.

Anyone as long as they don't pretend to be and over the top Gordon Solie aka Matt Striker of WWE. I like Raven and Dreamer as a team or maybe Shane Douglas if Dreamer wrestles or Manage Abyss becuz the monster is back.

How about another Diamond...Diamond Dallas Page. I think he would do a great job as a Color Commentator.

One guy working with TNA as an agent I would love to see announce is D-Lo Brown. D-Lo is an entertaining guy on the mic and he knows his stuff. I think D-Lo would make a great announcer. I'd say pair him up with JB and you've got yourself a great announce team.

One guy working with TNA as an agent I would love to see announce is D-Lo Brown. D-Lo is an entertaining guy on the mic and he knows his stuff. I think D-Lo would make a great announcer. I'd say pair him up with JB and you've got yourself a great announce team.

Except that no one (ever) gave a shit about D-Lo Brown, man. :lmao:

I'm not saying he's a bad road agent, or that he's incapable of announcing, but I'd never pass over Simon Diamond, DDP or Shane Douglas for color commentary in place of D-Lo. Call me crazy, but he seems like a bit of a dull choice. I'd sooner put Brother Devon there. :lol:

Don West is the absolute worst choice anyone could have for a new show that needs to hit reasonable heights on the ratings chart. He has the most annoying voice and was always excited for no reason at all. I rather see Macho Man then Don West. Let Don stick to his horrible segments on tna's website promoting his "insane" deals.

I have no problem with JB becoming a commentator. Even Biscoff...I mean they are paying him alot of money to basically do nothing but a few segments here and there. Foley could even work on commentary. ANYTHING BUT DON WEST.

Honestly they should of just closed the eyes and wrote a check to Mean Gene Okerlund. That guy as a voice that could make the pope listen and an awesome attitude to go with it.

I'm not saying he's a bad road agent, or that he's incapable of announcing, but I'd never pass over Simon Diamond, DDP or Shane Douglas for color commentary in place of D-Lo. Call me crazy, but he seems like a bit of a dull choice. I'd sooner put Brother Devon there. :lol:
:wtf:That's a pretty ridiculous statement. Last time I checked no one gave a damn about Douglas, Diamond, and DDP either.

Douglas - main-event player in ECW. Mid-carder anywhere else he ever went.
Simon Diamond - Mid-carder in ECW, jobber just about everywhere else.
DDP - Main-eventer, former world champion, and now a walking infomercial.

I'd be fine with Diamond working as announcer for the record, but do you really think TNA would sign on Douglas or DDP just to be an announcer when neither of them have any past announcing experience?

Another good choice I just now thought of out of the staff they already have would be Al Snow. I always liked his commentary in WWE.

It seems to me that what a LOT of these posts point to is a want for a HEEL announcer. I think it might be a good idea to do "rolling tryouts" to see who works, then pair up guys to see who works "together".
A funny bit (funny for me anyway) would be to pair up Raven and Hall... And have Raven look down his nose at Hall because he's never been a world champ like Raven. Tell me THAT wouldn't be priceless and generate major heat. Hell, it might even let Hall do a face turn!

I've always wanted a second broadcast team. I loved heel Don West. He was histerical. A tad too over the top, come on, "I was up last night texting with Velvet Sky". He has great stuff. Ony a few Jerry Lawler oneliners could top the crazy stuff Don said. I'd love to have him back on commentary, but the problem would a color commentator. Those aren't exactly as easy to come by. I have to wonder if Kevin Nash or Mick Foley could play such role. Nash might. He has a pretty steady voice, but his jokester attitude may not exactly cover the play-by-play. Mick worked with JR for a bit. But he's another guy who loves to crack too many jokes. Hector would be nice, but I'd probably be in tears at the end of the broadcast from the memories of Eddie flashing for an entire hour. He's still has the accent. Maybe Eric Bischoff could pull it off. He has some experience doing it. Maybe while he's out there, he can also do some talent scouting. Double duty for him.

I've always wanted a second broadcast team. I loved heel Don West. He was histerical. A tad too over the top, come on, "I was up last night texting with Velvet Sky". He has great stuff. Ony a few Jerry Lawler oneliners could top the crazy stuff Don said. I'd love to have him back on commentary, but the problem would a color commentator. Those aren't exactly as easy to come by. I have to wonder if Kevin Nash or Mick Foley could play such role. Nash might. He has a pretty steady voice, but his jokester attitude may not exactly cover the play-by-play. Mick worked with JR for a bit. But he's another guy who loves to crack too many jokes. Hector would be nice, but I'd probably be in tears at the end of the broadcast from the memories of Eddie flashing for an entire hour. He's still has the accent. Maybe Eric Bischoff could pull it off. He has some experience doing it. Maybe while he's out there, he can also do some talent scouting. Double duty for him.

How would the problem be a color commentator when that's exactly what Don West was and what he would/should continue to be were he brought back? If anything, the problem is finding a capable play-by-play guy to work with him again.

Well I can see JB getting on the play by play.

As for the colour, I've always wanted Hall doing some announcing. He's a genius on mic. He gets the business. Sadly given the recent events he doesn't stand a chance. I heard him say it's something he'd love to do. It's something I'd love to see him do.

Other than Hall, DDP isn't the worst idea in the world. Again, I can't see them signing him (Easy E said he wouldn't work with him anyway) just to announce, but he'd do a good job. A realistic shout would be Raven. But as previously mentioned, he could be a bit dark for the mainstream. It would tie in with a proposed ECW angle though.

Just a note in reply to anyone pining for Borash to run the play-by-play – he's currently doing the ring announcing for the company since Penzer left a few weeks ago, so if he were to be utilized in that role, someone else would have to take over the ring announcing duties.

Not that difficult a job, I'll admit, but a job that'd need replacing nonetheless. Not to derail my own thread, but any suggestions on who would do so from those who want JB in the booth?

Your talking about the real deal now. I always loved D'Lo. I wouldn't hate him doing it but he hasn't been a top wrestler in FOREVER. If this was the early 2000 he would be a perfect choice. I think Simon Diamond and Douglas are better choices then D'Lo but not by much. DDP still gets my vote by far.

As for everyone talking about Scott Hall...GOD NO! Maybe it is just be but I find Hall SOOOO Annoying. I do not feel like listening to him talk for a full show. I can just picture it now.

"Aye Yo, RVD is the champ chico." Please...NO lol

Your talking about the real deal now. I always loved D'Lo. I wouldn't hate him doing it but he hasn't been a top wrestler in FOREVER. If this was the early 2000 he would be a perfect choice. I think Simon Diamond and Douglas are better choices then D'Lo but not by much. DDP still gets my vote by far.

As for everyone talking about Scott Hall...GOD NO! Maybe it is just be but I find Hall SOOOO Annoying. I do not feel like listening to him talk for a full show. I can just picture it now.

"Aye Yo, RVD is the champ chico." Please...NO lol

I'm with ya, man. I always thought Hall was funny in his promos and ring segments, but to have to listen to him for a full two hours on any given night would be outstandingly awful – much like when MEM took over the booth a year or two ago and Booker T and Kevin Nash yapped for the whole two hours as Black Snow and Chet Lemon. It was hilarious for a few minutes, but by the 20-minute mark I was ready to mute the rest of iMPACT!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back